The Dog Poo Wars

Anyone catch the story about dogs being poisoned in Portland? Apparently there's a heated feud over dog owners who don't obey the leash laws brewing there.

Someone has been putting poisoned sausage in a local park. (8 dogs have died).

There's even a website devoted to posting photos of dog owners who don't put fido on a leash.

http://www.leashyourdog.com/

Weird. I love dogs but I have to confess I get a little tired of walking the poo minefields in some local parks and trails.

But poisoning dogs because their owners are too stupid and inconsiderate to pick up after them?

That's a bit extreme. Anyway, I thought the topic might be of interest to some folks here. I know a lot of cachers love taking their dogs with them while caching.

My lifestyle at the moment doesn't really lend itself to having a dog. OTherwise I would LOVE to have a four legged pal.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Okay, this is just a strange news day.

<< LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Outraged by a Las Vegas company that claims to offer men a chance to stalk and shoot naked women in the Nevada desert with paintball guns, women's groups and government agencies were scrambling to find a way to shut down such "Bambi" hunts. >>

Jolly R. Blackburn

Gosh, that is so crazy that there is no way anyone could make that up. How much are they charging for this?

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Okay, this is just a strange news day.

<< LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Outraged by a Las Vegas company that claims to offer men a chance to stalk and shoot naked women in the Nevada desert with paintball guns, women's groups and government agencies were scrambling to find a way to shut down such "Bambi" hunts. >>

Jolly R. Blackburn

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page

I sounds like Portland needs a dog park. We have a fenced dog park in Lincoln that is around 1/2 mile long and 1/4 mile wide. It has a creek running through it, a walking trail, open space, and picnic tables. There is also a cache there. It is a great place to let the dog run off leash and play with other dogs. Outside of the dog park, I don't see many dogs off leash here.

pokeanim3.gif

We have two beagles, and by definition, they *never* go off-leash except for Marymoor Park, where it is acceptable (and big enough they don't pick up a scent and take off).

Even on-leash my beagles would be open to eating anything on the ground. I'm sure there's a special place in hell for any sadistic person who does this.

I personally look down on people who ignore off-leash laws, but it certainly crosses the line in this case. Attack the owner, not the animal.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

I think they should post the photos of those causing harm to the animals. I personally would absolutely love to run into one of them on the trail, and have shall we say "a conversation". Hopefully they'll catch the individual/s and post photos everywhere for all to see.

Unleashed dogs in public areas can be quite the bad thing. But lets face it, they're just dogs, doing the dog thing, and you can't blame them it's the owners that should know better. Sicko's that kill innocent animals just because they might have left something on the ground. They are worse than animals, and shouldn't be allowed to mix in a civilized society.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Og Rof A Klaw:

quote:
There's even a website devoted to posting photos of dog owners who don't put fido on a leash.

http://www.leashyourdog.com/

Some people have tooooooooo much time on their hands. icon_rolleyes.gif

I think that describes 99.9% of all personal homepages on the Internet in the first place.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Well, sounds like what we need are special areas set aside for off leash dogs and naked ladies. Hmmm...lets put theses areas side by side. "Honey, I'm taking the dog for a walk"

But seriously, anyone doing such a thing to these poor dogs over the actions of their irresponsible owners needs the the same thing as the owners themselves....quick, repeated application of a baseball bat. IMO.

someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car.

A little off-topic about dogs, but I do have this to say about cats.

In Arizona, cats are classified as 'free range' animals, and as a result we have large numbers of strays floating around. The downside to this is obvious. Stinky roadkill, rampant disease, too dadgum many cats from lack of 'fixing', and random lawns being used as personal litter boxes. Both of my cats are indoor ONLY, because my wife and I feel that a truly responsible cat owner should not allow their animals to roam free and be subjected to such things.

Recently, a homeowner posted notices that cats were being poisoned in the neighborhood, to the tune of 4 in a 24-hour period (the trusty Prestone cocktail probably). While sad for the parents and the children who called them pets, my sympathy only goes so far.

The bottom line in my response to these notices was...if your cats weren't free to roam the neighborhood and were kept indoors where it *should* be safe, this never would have happened. Along with that, some owners claim to love their pets like children, yet they continue to allow them free reign around a community. My thought on the matter is, if you wouldn't allow your children to roam like this, why allow an animal you claim to love equally to do it?

</rant>

Back on topic...

A few times dogs have been let loose to run around, and have used my front lawn to do their duty. I've found out who the homeowners were, and left their deposit at the front doorstep of their home. Didn't take more than 2 times of a homeowner stepping into that as soon as they leave the house to resolve the issue. Keep in mind these weren't the most pleasant of neighbors under any circumstance.

Ok, I'm done. My fingers hurt now.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I sounds like Portland needs a dog park.

[soapbox]

I could not agree more. If these jerks spent half a moment to think they would push for an area for dogs to be seperate. However after reviewing their website they actually are pushing the city to suspend having off-leash fenced areas. Further, about half of the puctures shown on the website show owners holding "poop bags". I am going to Portland in a few weeks (the dogs will stay in MD) I cant wait to see what the issue is like over there. Just wait until a Law Enforcment or SAR K9 gets sick. Not sure about Oregon but many states have VERY stiff laws about causing harm to public safety work dogs. I would have to agree though that the concept of pets on leash and cleaning up after them a very seperate issues. Maybe these folks would have liked to come to the Pentagon or World Trade Center and yell that the dogs on the rubble piles where not on lead.

I do agree that pets should be kept on lead in public areas but it is people like this that make me want to put a flaming paper bag at their door and ring them bell.

[/soapbox]

[This message was edited by SearchRescueDog on July 18, 2003 at 09:16 PM.]

[This message was edited by SearchRescueDog on July 18, 2003 at 09:23 PM.]

Then there are those fine people who pick up Sparky's masterpiece in a little plastic bag while everyones looking, but when out of sight toss the unwanted package into the bushes where it sits and putrifies waiting to be freed by some unknowing geocacher.

I don't take my parents' dogs for a walk now as I managed to yak all over the grass while trying to pick up a warm turd through a carrier bag. The older dog then proceeded to eat what I had just chundered which caused me to go green ! icon_rolleyes.gif

I still agree with the clearing up but I don't go dog-walking alone now icon_smile.gif

Andy

My typical experience with unleashed dogs: Dog runs full speed at you, shoves it nose in your crotch, maybe jumps on you, sometimes growls, drools on you, and the owners says "don't worry, he's harmless". No "sorry" or "bad dog" or any sign that maybe the dog isn't doing the right thing, or acknowledgement that we all aren't lovers of dogs, and certainly not lovers of poorly trained dogs. Too many poorly trained dogs have made me dislike them in general.

I must have turned white the other day after finding a cache when I looked up to see a big black dog staring me down. I was slowly backing up when the owner finally appeared and put a leash on it. I hate when some dog is leaping all over me while its clown of an owner hangs back and assures me "He won't bite!" Even more lovely when I've got my two-year old with me. This even happens in a park that *has* a fenced Bark Park for unleashed dogs.

Not gonna poison them, though. Besides, what other animals might come along and eat the sausage?

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by geomaineiacs:

My typical experience with unleashed dogs: Dog runs full speed at you, shoves it nose in your crotch, maybe jumps on you, sometimes growls, drools on you, and the owners says "don't worry, he's harmless". No "sorry" or "bad dog" or any sign that maybe the dog isn't doing the right thing, or acknowledgement that we all aren't lovers of dogs, and certainly not lovers of poorly trained dogs. Too many poorly trained dogs have made me dislike them in general.

You would probably love to meet my dog on the trail. He is the gentlest of creatures. He has an AKC title in obedience, is a registered Therapy dog, works in an alzheimers wing, and the child crisis center, has been adopted by the state park as the mascot, and is the only dog allwed in the park off-leash.

I have a photo of him half-way up the trail to Mundy's Gap, standing with about 12 kids hanging all over him. The photo don't show it, but tail and tongue were equally in motion.

There is no such thing as a bad dog. Just un-trained dogs and bad owners.

BTW, his grandma was a tracking dog, his mama is a retired show/therapy dog, his daddy was a champion.

You cannot see it n the photo, but hung on the pack just below my elbow is a small canvas bag, with 15 plastic grocery bags. We do not leave a mess on the trail!

SEE PHOTO.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by The Cuthberts:

I don't take my parents' dogs for a walk now as I managed to yak all over the grass while trying to pick up a warm turd through a carrier bag. The older dog then proceeded to eat what I had just chundered which caused me to go green ! icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL !!! I yaked just reading about it. Having to pick-up a dogs doot (in a plastic bag) is definitetly not moving the human race forward in the evolutionary cycle. But then again, whats a person to do? You can't "off" all the dogs or the dog lovers. You can't go around leaving 'Sparky's masterpieces' (good one, eroyd) lying around everywhere. I guess we just have to suck it up, yak, and pick-up the doot.

QUOTE:"...There is no such thing as a bad dog. Just un-trained dogs and bad owners."--Desert_Warrior.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. (coming from a cat lover)

The photo is excellent. (coming from a former professional photographer)

============="If it feels good...do it"==============

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

I must have turned white the other day after finding a cache when I looked up to see a big black dog staring me down. I was slowly backing up when the owner finally appeared and put a leash on it. I hate when some dog is leaping all over me while its clown of an owner hangs back and assures me "He won't bite!" Even more lovely when I've got my two-year old with me. This even happens in a park that *has* a fenced Bark Park for unleashed dogs.

In my neighborhood there are some folks that have a big boxer. He doesn't seem terribly well trained, and while I've never seen it attack anyone or anything, it still worries us. The typically let the dog run about, off leash and unwatched. We confronted the owners about it and they got upset and gave us the typical "He won't bite...blah blah blah...He's a good dog...blah blah blah." The problem is that there are a lot of young childern in the neighborhood and since they're not watching the dog it could easily attack one of them (or anyone for that matter) and they would never know. We're pretty close to contacting the police/humaine society to get the problem taken care of. I personally have nothing against dogs, I'm somewhat afraid of them, but only ones that I don't know. I wouldn't mind having a dog myself, but I just think these owners aren't being responsible at all and something needs to be done. Plus the dog likes to use our front yard for it's favorite "drop-off area".

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

EXAMPLE OF WELL TRAINED DOG (AND "BAD" OWNER):

I used to have a beautiful, 95 lb. black lab. He was so smart. I trained him to "Take a dump" anywhere I pointed (i.e. on somebody's doorstep or the top of a picnic table).

Although I restrained from using this tool maliciously, I have to laugh at all the oppertunities this thread has presented. icon_biggrin.gif

(True story)

============="If it feels good...do it"==============

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")

I'm in complete agreement with Desert Warrior's philosophy of bad owners and untrained dogs.

My dog, Snickers, isn't as well trained as Desert Warrior's, but I have spent the last 6 years personally ensuring he is voice command controlled, recognizes some hand signals, and is leash friendly.

Although I frequently walk him without his leash on, that is not to say I don't have a leash for him at the ready and used when needed. Snickers is rarely allowed to get more than 50 feet ahead of me without being called back to my feet, and is never allowed to wander more than 10 feet behind me. I prefer him up front or at heel where I can keep watch easier.

I have been caught only four times in the past 6 years without enough plastic baggies to handle his doot... surprising a neighbor with a kept promise to be back to clean up after him, and the other three times were on trails where I took the time and effort to ensure the doot was more than 20 feet off trail... not an easy task chopstick syle when I can't find leaves big enough to handle the pile.

He is not allowed to jump on anybody but me and only when OK'd to do so. He is at heel when walking past those we don't know, unless they indicate they are animal friendly and choose to attract his attention under my watch. At 6, he still acts like a happy go lucky puppy, but I still respect the rights of others not to be harrassed, or hassled by him, and keep him close when we approach anybody... unless they call to him. He is a big dog at 85-90 lbs and I'm sensitive about his intimidation factor.

I can leave my front door open without fear of him leaving for any reason, and for the most part, he knows his boundaries around the house without the use of an "electronic leash". He doesn't even go across the street when called by a neighbor.

When approached by timid kids that want to pet him under their parents' permission, I have him lay on his side to be approached from behind to be petted. This is more for the kids' comfort level than a precautionary approach (as Snickers never snaps at any hand) and Snickers is comfortable with this.

His food can be pulled from him while he is eating without contest at anytime.

As with most pet owners that really care about their pets, he is more than just a pet, he is a member of the family and I will go after anybody that means to do him harm. Because of the threat of poisoning by others, he is also obedient to leave strange food on the ground alone when commanded to do so... which is another reason why I keep a watchful eye on him.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough about mine.

Cheers!

TL

Where I live there are tons of laws and fines concerning dogs. There are fines for not cleaning up after the dog, the dog being off the leash, dogs runing away (even accidentally), and dogs caught on the beach and boardwalk area during the summer months. The cheapest fine is posted all over the town at $250 if ya get caught!

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

here in nl there is a case of animal cruelty making its way through the courts. on the west coast a a$$hole strung up a neighbours still living dog by its neck so its feet could barely touch the ground and left the animal to die, which after about 12-18 hours it mericifully did. unforunately the reward tactics of a local retailer may get the case thrown out of court.

as for dog crap, what do these owners do if their dog #2s at home, just leave it?

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

quote:
as for dog crap, what do these owners do if their dog #2s at home, just leave it?

Actually, I let it dry out for a bit and then run it over with the lawn mower.

At least dogs drop their load where it's somewhat visable. Now cats on the otherhand...

quote:
Originally posted by dave and jaime:

here in nl there is a case of animal cruelty making its way through the courts. on the west coast a a$$hole strung up a neighbours still living dog by its neck so its feet could barely touch the ground and left the animal to die, which after about 12-18 hours it mericifully did. unforunately the reward tactics of a local retailer may get the case thrown out of court.

What a cruel thing to do to an animal that is doing what comes natural to it. That's where you start thinking vigilantism isn't such a bad idea.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

quote:

What a cruel thing to do to an animal that is doing what comes natural to it. That's where you start thinking vigilantism isn't such a bad idea.

Cheers!

TL

i think you misunderstood---this a-hole wasnt exacting revenge, rather he did it for kicks!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Usually, I agree with you. However, in this case, I can't.

I want to make a distinction between the roles some dogs play. Some are mere possessions to used or discarded at will, some are pets that "get played with," and some are companion animals were they are truly part of the family.

My whole family has been enthusiasts of APBTs for a long time. Unfortunately, so have dog fighters. I seen too many people own Pits as a status symbol. As a result of not understanding their temperament or knowing how to work with them, they've gotten a bad name. This only enforces the status of owning one.

However, it's not the bad reputation that's my point. It's irresponsible breeders who will continue to use a dog with a bad temperament, or inbreed animals thus causing bad temperaments and other problems. The result are dogs with mental problems that are very difficult to handle, much less train. These are bad dogs. I've seen it many times. The best thing to do with a bad animal is to put it down, but too many people simply won't do it.

Now, if the statement was "there is no such thing as a bad breed," then I'd agree with you. The above can happen to just about any breed and the problem with bad breeds happens to every breed that comes in vogue. You can get a bad dog, in one way or the other, in just about any breed.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:

i think you misunderstood---this a-hole wasnt exacting revenge, rather he did it for kicks!

It's still cruel regardless of intent. I would still opt for an eye-for-eye which is probably why I'm never in charge.

Cheers!

TL

(You know, I REALLY hate this board's editor.)

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

We have two beagles...

Hey! Another Beagle owner!

quote:
and by definition, they *never* go off-leash except for Marymoor Park, where it is acceptable (and big enough they don't pick up a scent and take off).

We have an "official" dog park nearby thats always so crowded that we never use it. Instead, we go to Connemara, which is, though not an official dog park, MUCH better.

quote:
Even on-leash my beagles would be open to eating anything on the ground. I'm sure there's a special place in hell for any sadistic person who does this.

And I'd be there to send him on his way. Quite simply, he'd be a dead man. It's happened before.

-- RK

"I drank WHAT?!?" -- Socrates

quote:
Originally posted by TMAN264:

The "Bambi" hunt is $10,000, but there are rumors that this never happened in the first place. And since I get all my news from Bob and Tom, who knows if it is true.

Probably not. Have you ebver been hit by a paintball? Those suckers can HURT.

quote:

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/46091_400.jpg

He's GORGIOUS. I've always wanted a Great Dane. Our neighbor had one when I was growing up. He used to bark a bit and could look OVER the backyard fence. I was terrified of him until I actually met him. I've liked the breed ever since. I just wish they weren't so short-lived.

-- RK

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

quote:

Usually, I agree with you. However, in this case, I can't.

My whole family has been enthusiasts of APBTs for a long time. Unfortunately, so have dog fighters. I seen too many people own Pits as a status symbol.

Of course you are correct. The APBT is the one exception to my rule. They are totally untrainable, and dangerous to own. Why, they can turn on you in an instant, and kill off half your family before you can dial 911.

And as you point out, there is no known safe way to train these dogs to be fine family pets, which would prove my point, that there are no bad dogs, just untrained dogs and bad owners. Anyone even attempting to train a APBT should have their head examined. The dogs should be hauled off and destroyed!

OR????

could it be that I am correct???

Maybe with proper training, the APBT can make a fine pet. BUT... this would prove my point, wouldn't it? No real bad dogs, just untrained dogs and bad owners. Is it the dogs fault that it is bred-raised to fight? Does the APBT make a good family pet, if trained right?

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:

Of course you are correct. The APBT is the one exception to my rule. They are totally untrainable, and dangerous to own. Why, they can turn on you in an instant, and kill off half your family before you can dial 911.

And as you point out, there is no known safe way to train these dogs to be fine family pets, which would prove my point, that there are no bad dogs, just untrained dogs and bad owners. Anyone even attempting to train a APBT should have their head examined. The dogs should be hauled off and destroyed!

OR????

could it be that I am correct???

Maybe with proper training, the APBT can make a fine pet. BUT... this would prove my point, wouldn't it? No real bad dogs, just untrained dogs and bad owners. Is it the dogs fault that it is bred-raised to fight? Does the APBT make a good family pet, if trained right?

Okay, I have read this several times and all I can think of is taking a pencil and jamming it into my eye.

I've been saving the product of my two doot makers. I plan to drive down there and share that product liberally with the psychos in the Portland area!

If it's WAR they want! If they are caught we should be allowed to sling doot in there faces like monkey slingers. Then beat them with a pipe of course.

39197_3100.jpg

Pepper playing nice!

Mokita!