Why do people leave Junk?

Xitron

I've gotta do this:

quote:

forum good guy

posted September 01, 2003 10:47 PM

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by opey one:

Sorry sorry sorry....

I don't at all want to be a bad guy here on the forums... See the caption under my avatar...

It just seems to me.... A fairly new geocacher racks up twenty some finds and is complaining about junk.....

There seems to be a problem.

Surely to goodness that all twenty finds did not contain junk.

If so, there are some real cachers in that particular area.

For what it's worth, I only have sixty some finds and I recall only ONE cache that contained a trivial amount of "junk" that some may mention.

It's hard to believe that the ratio of junk to good items can be that high considering this is in relation to just twenty finds. Must be some poor cachers in that area. Too bad.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/48511_5100.JPG

Green acres is the place to be.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I am getting a flame rising here.

With the thread speaking "What is said and what is really meant" or to that fashion:

I am saying Xitron is judging prematurely on the finds that contain "junk."

What I mean is non forum cachers would be pi$$ed that you claim they leave junk.

Give me some examples, Xitron. Surely you can distinguish which cacher left the junk and one who did not. Bash them here on the forums, where it is much deserving.

Really, to the newbies: I am a newbie. I am not holding an elitist attitude whatsoever, but with twenty finds, I would still be happy regardless of what junk was left.

WHAT I REALLY MEAN

You really mean to tell that after just twenty finds that you are complaining about the junk left behind?

C'mon! Surely to God you haven't been ruined that quick.

**This post gives merit for those previous cache finders who left all that crap. Please post now.**

I'm sorry Xitron, but I do not take the bait. Sure, legit concerns I can buy, but I cannot see why you are overwhelmed with junk happy caches that make you complain when you have only 20 some finds.

Do NOT bash! I am not elitist, whatsoever, nor a geocop, but what gives?

I have taken this into consideration fully.

What bites me is we all take in consideration of the newbies and such....Yup, I'm new too.

Trying to set a good example for future cachers....

And get someone with fewer (no elitist attitude) finds (twenty some)....

to complain about junk....

What kind of impression does that leave?

Your local cachers must not frequent the forums... Cause I'd give them a switch, too, for all that junk they leave! Oops! I'm under the impression they leave this garbage. Sorry!

BTW...

quote:

By Xitron: I have seen alot of caches where interesting things were replaced with McDonalds rejects and other junk no one would ever want. Please post your point of view on this if you think I am right or way off. Either way cache on!

THAT was an excerpt from the original. Ouch!!!

Alot of caches??? Well, to summarize alot means you have a "great amount of."

Really, though. You should not judge what constitutes junk or not with little cache finds.

Green acres is the place to be.....No darnit!! That's my goat!!! Sheesh!

48511_5100.JPG

Yup. That's MY goat!

i agree...trade up, trade down, trade even, don't trade...the thrill is in finding the durn thing. not in what may be contained in it.

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I wish outer space guys would conquer the Earth and make people their pets, because I'd like to have one of those little beds with my name on it.

- Jack Handey (aka Jack Handy)

Hey! Bigredmed! Some people, myself included, go geocaching for the simple reason of just finding the cache. I TNLN most of the time when I go out caching (probably 98% of the time). Occasionally I find something that I trade for, but most of the time I just log the cache. Just because people decide to post TNLN does not mean they are "copping out" or ignoring a problem of junk in caches. Trading items is just not important to me. I just love the exercise and the thrill of the hunt.

quote:
Originally posted by kcmose:

Hey! Bigredmed! Some people, myself included, go geocaching for the simple reason of just finding the cache. I TNLN most of the time when I go out caching (probably 98% of the time). Occasionally I find something that I trade for, but most of the time I just log the cache. Just because people decide to post TNLN does not mean they are "copping out" or ignoring a problem of junk in caches. Trading items is just not important to me. I just love the exercise and the thrill of the hunt.

Me, too, but the reason tradings isn't much of an issue for me is because of the junk.

quote:

Whether you intend to or not, if you come across a cache and TNLN, the only thing that has changed is the log book. If you find a cache with good trade items, its still a cache with good trade items, and one more log entry. If you find one that is slipping, and you don't trade for anything, it will continue to be an ammo box full of junk with 1 more log entry.

Fundamentally this problem of geotrash gets solved in only 1 of 3 ways.

1. We just change the game to a TNLN system. This will eliminate the problem. It will also be a trick to get little kids into it, so many of our cachers will taper off.

2. We change to a trade sig items only game. This will ameilorate the geotrash problem by leaving only labeled items in geocaches. This will have the effect of having caches that are popular being filled with everyone's trade item and you could end up collecting 10 of someone's sig item.

3. We do a better job of coaching new players as to how to play the game, to wit, tips for finding the cache, tips for placing caches, and tips for selecting trade items to take with you on a hunt. This would have the effect of organizing the game around regional groups and getting new players started off with regionally accepted good habits.

Personally, I like #3. Means more work for us, but we will end up with more enjoable caches and less griping about geotrash.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nebraskache/

quote:

Whether you intend to or not, if you come across a cache and TNLN, the only thing that has changed is the log book. If you find a cache with good trade items, its still a cache with good trade items, and one more log entry. If you find one that is slipping, and you don't trade for anything, it will continue to be an ammo box full of junk with 1 more log entry.

1. We just change the game to a TNLN system. This will eliminate the problem. It will also be a trick to get little kids into it, so many of our cachers will taper off.

2. We change to a trade sig items only game. This will ameilorate the geotrash problem by leaving only labeled items in geocaches. This will have the effect of having caches that are popular being filled with everyone's trade item and you could end up collecting 10 of someone's sig item.

3. We do a better job of coaching new players as to how to play the game, to wit, tips for finding the cache, tips for placing caches, and tips for selecting trade items to take with you on a hunt. This would have the effect of organizing the game around regional groups and getting new players started off with regionally accepted good habits.

Personally, I like #3. Means more work for us, but we will end up with more enjoable caches and less griping about geotrash.

There are all kinds of reasons why people leave "junk" by whatever definition of junk you like. But I can see at least one reason for keeping the "value" of the cache relatively low. Having planted my first cache, it was almost immediately reported as missing/modified - someone had stolen the container (a nicely decorated ammo container), the log book, and anything else that struck their fancy. They did leave the things they didn't want in the plastic bag originally guaranteeing that the log book would remain dry. I think that valuable caches attract geocaching thieves and if the value of the contents goes up in general, it will lead to the creation of geotrashers (when they find nothing worth stealing), and geothieves. Keeping the general value of the cache low, keeps geocaches from becoming a target of "treasure hunters". The experience gained from Magellan's treasure hunt indicates that in any given sub-population a certain small percentage will ignore the rules, custom, courtesy and morality. In Oregon, someone stole the Magellan cache shortly after the 2nd or 3rd find. Considering the cache location and the time FTF happened, it seems probable it was not an accidental find and theft.

Ballast & the Booby

This is in response to Opey one's post, the so called good guy.

I am saying Xitron is judging prematurely on the finds that contain "junk."

Read on my friend.

Really, to the newbies: I am a newbie. I am not holding an elitist attitude whatsoever, but with twenty finds, I would still be happy regardless of what junk was left.

You're a person I'd love to sell my used car too.

I'm sorry Xitron, but I do not take the bait. Sure, legit concerns I can buy, but I cannot

see why you are overwhelmed with junk happy caches that make you complain when you have only 20 some finds.

While I have only over 20 some finds I have researched many more and found more trading down then up.

And get someone with fewer (no elitist attitude) finds (twenty some)..tocomplaina bout junk....What kind of impression does that leave?

Probably someone who does a little more research then you would be my impression, how many threads have been open on this same subject??

Really, though. You should not judge what constitutes junk or not with little cache finds.

Try reading the forums a little more deeply then what you can see on the first screen, then you may auctually know what you are talking about.

quote:

Hey! Bigredmed! Some people, myself included, go geocaching for the simple reason of just finding the cache.

I agree, some people really enjoy the thrill of the hunt. Once I find the cache, I am thinking about the next one. If it wasn't for the log book, I won't even open a lot of the caches. There are however exceptions. You can tell when someone really puts some effort into the cache they are hiding. I also like leaving an item (giving) far more than taking (receiving) an item.

Our take on this issue is that we geocache to get off the couch! We have started making some very simple geocoins/tokens as a sig item. I hope that they are considered decent trade items. They ARE hand made and numbered. We leave a larger style in regular caches and a very small style in micros. I guess some day everyone in our area will have one or have seen/traded one, if so great. We are keeping our trade items from each cache in a multi-compartment container (as for screws and such) as a reminder of each cache (non-virtual) that we have found. Some locals/regionals leave some pretty inexpensive items, well, our tokens do not cost much. They don't even take that much time to make and its what we decided to do. Any feelings of unfair trading would be mostly on our end I guess but its all good to us.

We tend to be saddened by all the TN/LN going on as it helps to stagnate the caches but so be it.

Have fun and try not to sweat the small stuff. icon_smile.gif

Team P2

Variety is the spice of life...and I like it HOT!

All you hear in here. I just do it for the *HUNT* of it. I say yeah right. The sport is ruined by petty stuff inside the caches.Ninety-five percent of a cache are *CHEAP ITEMS*.Somethings you get at a .99 cent store. What needs to be done is subscription only. You can only view caches if you have a subscription. That way people will be invested in geocaching and won't have cheap items inside the cache. People are less likely to steal when they subscribe. Yes that would be pay to play. And just maybe Geocaching would put prizes in caches if they get alot of subscribers.

I carry a wide range of items in my pack when I go caching. I also leave a wide range of Items when I hide a cache. From a 7-11 gift card, (for those of you that have done marathon cache trips can appreciate the importance of a 7-11), and swiss army knives all the way down to little happy face erasers & cheezy 99 cent items. My only expectation is that if you take a gift card don't leave a freakin pink rock. Now, being a newbe myself,(2 months & 100+ caches found), it might not be my place to make this speculation but...I think the originators of this sport did it with the idea that it is the thrill of the hunt.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Xitron:

I have seen alot of caches where interesting things were replaced with McDonalds rejects and other junk no one would ever want.

Out of 22 finds, please tell which ones contained McDonalds rejects and other junk. Surely you can remember which ones.

48511_5100.JPG

Yup. That's MY goat!

quote:

but I really have a problem with peeps who leave junk for good stuff. Yea you know who you are. If you don't have anything good to trade then don't lol

O.K. So out of 22 finds and including this post, YOU know who they are, so please inform us who they were and what junk they left.

48511_5100.JPG

Yup. That's MY goat!

quote:

Well just one final thought before I head to bed for the night, if you leave geo junk you suk. Thats the bottom line!

I have now changed the label under my avatar.

I guess I suk for judging prematurely.

Surely I'm not the only one.

P.S. All you cachers that left all that junk to ruin Xitron after 20 finds...Shame on you!! YOU SUK!

I'm through, Xitron, as my flame is down to less than an inch. Have fun caching, and I'll not bully you anymore, as I AM the bad guy it seems.

48511_5100.JPG

Yup. That's MY goat!

To cap off this thread (and if admin is thinking, all further discussion on this recurring topic), please refer to the FAQ section in the new player forum for a guideline on what to use for trade items.

If we can agree to circulate this to new players as we meet them, we can make the game more fun and reduce the anger content that this recurring problem brings to the forums.

Bigred...aren't those your guidelines for trade items? I know a lot of people may post on here badly about McToy's but my 2 yr old likes them. And they aren't that cheap. Considering you have to buy a happy meal to get one, they cost you around $3. McToys make great TB's by the way.

As far as trade items go, I think it's in the eye of the beholder. What you think is cool (foreign coin, crystals, etc..) I think is lame. Best thing is to just leave something and take nothing or don't trade at all if there is nothing in there worthwhile to you. Although I haven't practiced it all the time, I do agree with others that if a cache is lacking in quality stuff or has only old broken and dirty stuff, then just leave something. Perhaps the next person will want to trade for it and leave something cool(to them) as well.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

We have been around a while and thus can pretend to say "we've seen it all", and we both have gotten to the point where TN/LN is often the only option. I paint river rocks into little critters which have become rather our signature item, but even those don't appeal to everyone. I guess my biggest irk nowadays, after having planted many many caches.. is that there are some people who just insist on taking every single cool thing out of a cache when they visit. Some of these people we even know. Choosing the contents of a new cache is fun and challenging. I try not to have repeat items, try to have a wide range of things. Then to have someone find it first off and completely replace the contents with crocheted bookmarks, religious tracts, dollar store items that come 30 to a package, etc. It just blows my mind. So, to not let it discourage... FORGETABOUTIT. The quantity or quality of the items in a cache do not in ANY WAY reflect the original contents of the cache, unless of course you happen to be the first finder. Just remember, just one geocacher can completely obliterate a quality cache.

Another thing. Why do people insist on skipping pages in the log books? I know it may be offensive to some to have to write over the dimples of another person's log, but wasting paper in a log book is not only rude but it creates a hassle for the cache owner. Try to write small.. try to conserve space. Be courteous.

Just a few rants. Carry on.

Zzzoey for Team Zzzoey & illDRIVEuNav

WARNING: I cannot be responsible for the above, as apparently my cats have learned how to type.

Personally, I like #1, bigredmed. the only way to stop *****ing about trading would be to eliminate trading, but I don't see that happening-- too many people like it. and that's OK-- I don't mind the trading, I just don't like the complaining when they don't find what they want! icon_rolleyes.gif

OK, this seems to be a very common complaint among cachers, that they take their kids and the "kids" are dissappointed in the cache "treasure". here's an idea-- don't sell it to them that they're going to find any treasure. tell them it's a hike that will take them to a really fun or interesting place, oh yeah, and there's a logbook that Daddy has to sign at the end of it... Just a thought, not a dig.

icon_smile.gif

I'm new to this sport/game (only 5 logged so far)

I was under the impression that part of the game is to go and enjoy nature, while trying to find a location something is hidden. So far the most enjoyment has been going to places I might not have gone to otherwise. My wife, my dog and I have had the most fun just enjoying the forest preserves and parks. Veterans Park in Crystal Lake, Il for example, we have been past it but never went to it, when you go back into the trail area it's amazing how beautiful the woods and field of wildflowers is.

Finding the cache alone was fun, the "trinkets" inside was just amusing to look at, yes we left something and took something, but from reading the logs of many of the caches in my area it seems that it's normal, hence acceptable to leave so called "junk" items. Now after reading this i'm not so sure what the game is all about.

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by P2 (squared):

Our take on this issue is that we geocache to get off the couch! We have started making some very simple geocoins/tokens as a sig item. I hope that they are considered decent trade items. They ARE hand made and numbered. We leave a larger style in regular caches and a very small style in micros

Sounds good, care to post a pic?

I always try to leave some decent items in my caches. Newer geocachers and people with kids expect some sort of "treasure" and I hate to disappoint them.

This point was driven home this weekend when I spent time with my neice and nephew (ages 6 and 4). They heard that I found "treasures in the woods" and were very excited about the idea of finding some. I had an ammo box in my car and went to a local store and picked up about $15 worth of toys. Balsa gliders, Play Doh, a bag of toy soldiers, some action figures, etc...

I planted the cache in the woods about 1/4 mile from my brother's house and we set out looking for it. I made sure the kids brought along trade items, so they carefully selected toys of theirs that they were willing to part with. Enroute, my nephew kept excitedly talking about finding "action figures" (I don't even know where he got the term). Well of course they found the cache easily and were incredibly excited at the bounty inside. We made sure they took only one item and left one. Once we returned home, I went back and retreived the cache. But that wasn't the end of it. They kept asking about finding more "treasure". I kind of discouraged them, because I knew that most real geocaches don't have anything that resembles a "treasure" in them.

But they kept at me, so the next day I decided to go for two easy, nearby caches (ones I had found some time ago). I prepared them, telling them there may be no "treasure" inside, but they weren't discouraged, so we set out. As it turned out, both caches had some really nice stuff for kids. A new bag of marbles, a Disney toy in its original bag, a brand new "action figure" and other nice stuff. I was pleasantly surprised and the kids were overjoyed.

Moral of the story? Put something halfway decent in the caches people. If you're going to put a McToy in, make it a new one. Not a filthy, broken one that you found under the seat of your car.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

If you're going to put a McToy in, make it a new one. Not a filthy, broken one that you found under the seat of your car.

I agree with that 100%. It's those soiled old ones that look like they were left in a sand box, bottom of a toy box or gotten off a yard sale table that I don't care for.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Bigred...aren't those your guidelines for trade items? I know a lot of people may post on here badly about McToy's but my 2 yr old likes them. And they aren't that cheap. Considering you have to buy a happy meal to get one, they cost you around $3. McToys make great TB's by the way.

As far as trade items go, I think it's in the eye of the beholder. What you think is cool (foreign coin, crystals, etc..) I think is lame. Best thing is to just leave something and take nothing or don't trade at all if there is nothing in there worthwhile to you. Although I haven't practiced it all the time, I do agree with others that if a cache is lacking in quality stuff or has only old broken and dirty stuff, then just leave something. Perhaps the next person will want to trade for it and leave something cool(to them) as well.

I have no problem with McToys that are intact. I added the line about McToys being bad trade items due to the group's majority opinion that these were not desirable. Truth be told, I am planning a kid's cache and will use McToys in the cache. The thing about them is that people tend to put junk in and broken McToys are a common component of the geotrash.

So, I say use them if they are in good condition. Use them if they are appropriate to the theme or spirit of the cache, but don't if they are broken or if the cache is about hiking or some other theme that doesn't include them.

Opey one stated

" I'm through, Xitron, as my flame is down to less than an inch. Have fun caching, and I'll not bully you anymore, as I AM the bad guy it seems."

Thanks for letting up on me I was getting bummed out, and your flames were geting weaker.(I do like the new bad guy statement lol).

I will never "out" the peeps who signed the log book and left a broken toy for a better item, I just thought it a good idea to let everyone know what alot of us think about them and their trades. Yea I have 20 something found but I read alot of forums and this is a hot topic discussed many times in the past. You as a much more experienced cachers then myself has probably seen it posted many times in the past and are just a little cranky cause you have to read it again. As you state I'm new, so I post what I see and if people are being cheap I'll post it, if people trade down I'll post it, I don't see a problem with that do you?

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah

Yeah, I get your point, Xitron. I used to get aggravated at the Gods and the bashing, too.

Didn't realize I was acting in the same manner until now. Now that's a $hitty feeling!

Anyway, I do trade up.

Oh yeah! I trade mining stickers. Hey! You don't like peeps who trade stickers! icon_biggrin.gif

I think such a sticker hater would at least like a couple of them.

48511_5100.JPG

Yup. That's MY goat!