Anyone been caching at night?

Guest dwr50

I went out to check one of my caches the other night. Saw two frogs and a snake. I've only seen rabbits during the daylight hours.Things look totally different at night.A level 1 cache during the day, will become a level 2 after dark.

------------------

dwr50

"Full-Time RV'ers can REALLY cachin"

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by dwr50:

A level 1 cache during the day, will become a level 2 after dark.

I agree. I went to check on one of my caches after dark, I only found it when I almost tripped over it.

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

Ahhh, a topic close to my heart icon_smile.gif I've done three of Nemisis/Donovan's caches at night now, and they were a lot of fun. It's can be eirily quiet depending on the location - ie distance from humans. It is also rather hard with the narrow coverage that a torch generally generates, the eyes can only search a small amount at a time. On the flipside, the sharp light of the torch does tend to give away man made objects such as cache containers a little more easily than sunlight. I think overall the cache difficult does go up, along with the risk. Another downside is that the GPS batteries go flat faster with the backlighting on icon_smile.gif All in all good fun.

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 14 August 2001).]

Guest rediguana

Ahhh, a topic close to my heart icon_smile.gif I've done three of Nemisis/Donovan's caches at night now, and they were a lot of fun. It's can be eirily quiet depending on the location - ie distance from humans. It is also rather hard with the narrow coverage that a torch generally generates, the eyes can only search a small amount at a time. On the flipside, the sharp light of the torch does tend to give away man made objects such as cache containers a little more easily than sunlight. I think overall the cache difficult does go up, along with the risk. Another downside is that the GPS batteries go flat faster with the backlighting on icon_smile.gif All in all good fun.

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 14 August 2001).]

Guest PharoaH

We had heard other cachers talk about after dark excursions, so we finally decided to give it a try. The only scary part was being blitzed by a screech owl.

If you think it is hard caching at night, read on. My daughter (16 in a few days) is completely night blind. She wanted to try the night cache too, so she carried her white-tipped cane on the trail. The going was slower than most would have been at night, but we had a great time. She's always been the adventurous type!

Guest prv8eye

used night vision equipment in the Marine Corps, I know that it can be a lot of fun. Geocaching at night would be a blast with a set of NV goggles.

You're likely to see a lot more wildlife than just bunnies and snakes.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA

Guest Paul Lamble

I saw one cache listing that can ONLY be done at night. Sorry, I can't recall the name or location, but someone will and will respond.

The person set up a bunch of reflectors on trees apparently. You had to march toward the glowing red eyes of the monster. That kind of thing.

Clever idea. But I can't think of any public place that welcomes people after dark. Otherwise, I might set one up myself.

PL

Guest spiny norman

A couple of suggestions for night caching.

Allow your eyes time to adjust to the darkness. (You will be surprised by what you can see without artificial light!)

Carry a flashlight but don't turn it on unless absouletly necessasary. (once you turn it on it will reduce your total field of vision to the flashlight's radius.)

At least for the first few attempts, go to areas that you have been to before and have some familiarity with.

Take a friend and let someone know where you are going.

A laser sight lined up with your GPS could help you pinpoint your search.

GOOD LUCK!

Guest kbraband

I took a friend cache-hunting last Saturday evening. We found our second cache after dark. Everything was fine until we took our picture with the disposable camera... the one with the flash.... we couldn't see anything for a few seconds. Pretty funny.

Guest arffer

I had a family looking for one of my caches using only the backlight on their GPSR! To add to the fun, it was a stormy night with lightning around them. They ended coming back another day to find it.

[This message has been edited by arffer (edited 14 August 2001).]

icon_rolleyes.gifMy wife and I have tried about 5 or 6 at night--usually new ones that have just come up on the wite as I read thru e-mail and other stuff after getting home from work at 9:00 p.m.. We have found them most of the time, however, one I went looking for recently could not be found. As i searched around the area, my batteries finally quit on me. I had thought ahead and had brought along spares, but I did not realize until I sat down on a log to change them that they had fallen out of my jacket pocket somewhere. Needless to say, no luck. I posted my note on the site, and the next morning, a cacher not only found the cache, but my missing batteries in their imitaion leather bag. He offerred to return them, I told him to keep them. Long story here, sorry, it got out of hand.

I had one set up that was a night cache......it was a series of 3 micros that if you wanted to cheat.....it could be done during the day....but then it took you to a series of reflectors that just could not be found until dark....During the day......it was hard....during the night....almost (but not quite) impossible. Only 2 finders before I had to archive it due to a land use issue.....but the folks that tried it seemed to love it.

My wife and I have done somewhere around 5 at night....it sure does change things considerably once the "lights" go out......

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!

Urban caching isn't easy when caching at night, but rural caching takes on a whole new life at night. A 1/1 cache turned into a 4/3 cache because of its location and all the potential hiding places. What should have been a 2-3 minute search during the day was a 45-minute 'we're not giving up till it's found' search.

Brian

Team A.I.

Here's another variation of a night cache. This one has both day time and night time components. The cache is called Equinox and is at:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=37756

"The coordinates above lead to the place to park and start your search in the darkness of the now closed Coronado Airport. Posted below are pictures that show lights which can only be seen in the dark after sunset. By locating these lights in the indicated directions and then moving to align them in the posted configurations, the geocacher will find the first half of Equinox, the night container, which is a gray plastic travel mug."

I found one cache in an urban park after dark. I was driving through on a road trip and I had to start a travel bug off at that cache, and evening is when we happened to get there. In retrospect, that was pretty stupid - who knows what we might have run into in an urban setting like that. I dragged my husband along with me, but he was pretty pissed. Don't think I'll try that again anytime soon.

There are two caches in the Triangle/Triad are of NC that are designed to be nighttime hunts. This one and this one too. Both are hidden by the same cacher. They take you down trails with reflective tacks and are a lot of fun to do if you want a Blair Witch night out on the town.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

This one we did in late December at night. It gave others trouble when they attempted it in darkness.

And our failed attempt at night time caching.

It is rather fun, but we are picky about which ones we'll try at night.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

I have done about a half dozen caches at night. One can only be done at night, a couple were because I didn't want to stop caching yet, the others I did because they showed up on the web site and I had to get there before anyone else. The lack of light will generally increase the difficulty by quite a bit. I have a 4-cell mag-light, but I might by one of those 1-3 million CP lights that I've seen on a couple of other posts. It would be handy to strap down in the back of the Jeep anyway. I think later on when it gets a little warmer and drier, I might place a night-only cache. Sounds like fun.