Any other pilots here?

Guest aero

I got into using a GPS while learning to fly. I bought my current GPS III+ as a reward for getting my private license. I just wondered if anybody else out there was a pilot, and what ratings you might have. I might start leaving caches near municipal airports if theres a lot of us out there.

John

AMEL, working on finishing commercial & instrument

Guest Mike_Teague

I have about 7 hours total in real life, too expensive..

I found a great alternative though, especially if you're into IFR, using MS flight sim 98/2000, Fly!, or a few other simulators, "flying" online with live, real-time ATC, using all the real world procedures, charts, etc.. It's called SATCO (simulated air traffic control organization).. Pilots load up a little box that sits up at the top of your Flight simulator screen, kinda like a little instant messanger or IRC window, and use text for comms (your com radio actually works and all the various frequencies are basically channels on the server). this can be augmented by using voice programs like rogerwilco, allowing real voice comms.. very fun.. ATC runs a program called Pro Controller that is basically a simulated BRITE/DBRITE radar scope, that shows all the aircraft and such just like the real thing..

Best thing is, everyone's real.. all the atc are real people, all the pilots are real.. no fake robot pilots or canned ATC (the australian division does have some robot pilots to keep people from getting bored though icon_smile.gif .. there's a whole range of traffic, alot of folks like to fly the big iron, sometimes unrealistically, but there is a surprising amount of GA types as well that like shooting a VOR circling approach or maybe even an NDB sometimes..

it's quite fun, and ya can learn a LOT.. most everyone takes it VERY seriously and does a lot of studying to make it "as real as it gets".. You would be amazed.. I myself keep a copy of the AIM nearby, FAAO 7110.65 (the ATC bible), plates for most of the contiguous USA, high alt IFR enroute charts for the entire country, low alt IFR enroutes for the entire western USA, sectionals and a smattering of VFR terminal area charts for various class B's..

more info is at www.satco.org and www.satusa.org

Guest Mike_Teague

I have about 7 hours total in real life, too expensive..

I found a great alternative though, especially if you're into IFR, using MS flight sim 98/2000, Fly!, or a few other simulators, "flying" online with live, real-time ATC, using all the real world procedures, charts, etc.. It's called SATCO (simulated air traffic control organization).. Pilots load up a little box that sits up at the top of your Flight simulator screen, kinda like a little instant messanger or IRC window, and use text for comms (your com radio actually works and all the various frequencies are basically channels on the server). this can be augmented by using voice programs like rogerwilco, allowing real voice comms.. very fun.. ATC runs a program called Pro Controller that is basically a simulated BRITE/DBRITE radar scope, that shows all the aircraft and such just like the real thing..

Best thing is, everyone's real.. all the atc are real people, all the pilots are real.. no fake robot pilots or canned ATC (the australian division does have some robot pilots to keep people from getting bored though icon_smile.gif .. there's a whole range of traffic, alot of folks like to fly the big iron, sometimes unrealistically, but there is a surprising amount of GA types as well that like shooting a VOR circling approach or maybe even an NDB sometimes..

it's quite fun, and ya can learn a LOT.. most everyone takes it VERY seriously and does a lot of studying to make it "as real as it gets".. You would be amazed.. I myself keep a copy of the AIM nearby, FAAO 7110.65 (the ATC bible), plates for most of the contiguous USA, high alt IFR enroute charts for the entire country, low alt IFR enroutes for the entire western USA, sectionals and a smattering of VFR terminal area charts for various class B's..

more info is at www.satco.org and www.satusa.org

Guest ScottJ

I hold a real-world commercial license with a handful of ratings. I'm proudest of my DC-3 type rating. icon_smile.gif

Dittos on SATCO. I'm a Controller-1 with the Atlanta ARTCC. Love it, when I can find time to plug in, when I'm not out hunting geocaches! icon_smile.gif

Scott

Guest ScottJ

I hold a real-world commercial license with a handful of ratings. I'm proudest of my DC-3 type rating. icon_smile.gif

Dittos on SATCO. I'm a Controller-1 with the Atlanta ARTCC. Love it, when I can find time to plug in, when I'm not out hunting geocaches! icon_smile.gif

Scott

Guest Geogoat

How about us ultralight pilots? I sometimes fly with a Garmin GPSII+ or my etrex. Was thinking of some aerial geocache loging. You would have to locate and fly over the cache and photograph the location.

Guest Ultralight

I have an Ultralight Pilots licence, My own Ultralight, a Sapphire, and i have also been flying GA, Piper Archer, cessna up to 210 etc for over 10 yrs,

My first stash is at a favorite airfield i often fly to on a nice sunny afternoon.

I want to introduce more pilots to Geocaching, but set up a trophie system,

You fly to the cache, use your GPS to locate the airport and stash hidden on the airfield, Once you find the trophie, you take it back to your home airfield and stash it somewhere there, then post your airfields and the stashes location on a site*** for other pilots to find and collect, and the hunt continues. a great excuse to use your plane! navigation exercises ,or just visit a new airport.

A second cache can be hidden for earth boud cachers to locate as well. place the co-ordinates in the cache on the Airfield.

I have a site www.Ultralights.com.au and i will set up a Aerocache section if you think it will be a good idea?

what do you think?

We must all think a like ... pilots that is.

Good idea. Not a Class B airports, but a almost any other (due to security questions at larger airports).

Has anyone run into this type of a system. Geocaching for pilots (on airport locations or within easy walk - due to eating all of those $100 Hamburgers icon_smile.gif

In 1991 I made good on a promise I made someone in 1961 and got my private ticket in about 3 months. I took my training out of Palomar-McClellan (CRQ - Carlsbad, CA). I flew some in NC and WA until 1995 then took a 3 year break. I flew some in IL in 1997 - 1998 (That is when I got my Garmin GPS Pilot III)and then lost my medical. I haven't had the funds to get my medical back, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately. It's such a waste to go through getting your ticket, just to let it drop. Maybe soon! All of my time (132 hrs PIC) in in C-172s and PA-28s (Warriors and Archers).

Unknown objects are operating under intelligent control... It is imperative that we learn where UFO's come from and what their purpose is... - -Admiral Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter Director, Central Intelligence Agency 1947-1950

A friend taught me to fly in 152's and his 172 Cutlass RG. I flew enough to get my single engine VFR license, and haven't flown since. It's just too expensive for me. But if I'm ever on a plane and the pilot and co-pilot both die, I might be able to crash it with more control than the average joe!

icon_wink.gif

Dave

Me ambivalent? Well..... yes and no.

Quote: ApK wrote

"I've got about 8 hours in 152's but until I get over this motion sickness, I can't go any further...slow flight just kills me."

Thus the saying:

Maintain thy airspeed, lest the Earth arise and smite thee.

The only way that I have seen work on a regular basis of getting "past" motion sickness is repeated SHORT exposure. Ride a long and carry a big sicksack.

PS Aim well!

After high school and before college in 1981, i worked at a local airport and worked on my private pilot license as a part of being employed there. Got it and was checked out in Cessna 150's, 152's 170's 175's 185's, Piper tomahawks, cheerokees and working for the airport got to go up and fly alot of other aero machines. Even was working on my acrobatic flying when i quit there three years later( working part time there while going to college). Got married and that was it icon_frown.gif....would love to get back into flying again, i just have too many hobbies LOL!

Darkmoon

icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...i am where I am suppose to be...I think?

Mentioning motion sickness reminds me of when I was flying my dad's Aeronca 7AC to Kenosha airport to take aerobatic dual in their Cessna 150 Aerobat. I was having trouble recovering from snap rolls so I signed up for two hours straight rental. They wouldn't rent solo so I had to have the CFI come along. Poor guy was about ready to loose it after a few dozen snaps! Would I have loved to have my GPS back then when I was flying that Aeronca around Wisconsin. No radio, poor compass and a nonsensetive altimeter.

First soloed at age 15 in a Schweizer TG-2 sailplane. Got my PP-SEL at age 17. During the summers I worked the flight line at 02C from 8 to 5 and then road my Honda to MWC and would gas planes until 10:30PM. Loved every minute of work except when I had to wash a plane. Ugh!!!

I've got several hundred hours but like many, don't have the money to do it right anymore. Now I do ILS approaches in 737's. Love that FS2002!

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Haven't flown in about 14 years but It's still fresh in my mind. My friend is an IP and he keeps telling me that he could get me current in no time. It's just the money that keeps me from doing it. On the flip side I use to get rides all the time while I was in the Army. I was an Airframe Powerplant Mechanic. Keep thinking that someday I might just build my own plane, if I get enough money for the instruments.

Still have the back side of the shirt they wrote on "joined the royal order of airmen" and cut out after my first solo.

Have a few hundred hours in Pipers and Cessnas. A lot of Cessna time was "free" by serving in the Civil Air Patrol.

Spent many an hour in grid patterns over the West and Central Texas plains searching for downed aircraft over several years. Had the unfortunate luck to find a couple of them and then call in the ground crews. Reason I say unfortunate is seeing what little remains of a bad crash - and but for the grace of God I am still here. It does make you fly more responsibly though.

Also have a few hundred hours flying RC. First time thought "I'm a real pilot, I know what the control surfaces do... I don't need any help in flying a little RC plane" BAD CHOICE! Those darn things are harder to fly than full scale!

Still wanting to get into a glider one day.

Private Pilot with Multi and Insturment ratings. Have time in 172s, 182s, Piper Archers, Piper Seminoles, Piper Sennecas, and a few others. Most memorable time is 1.0 hours in Crazyhorse, a TF-51 (a two place P51 Mustang.) Have about 525 hours since 1992. Have flown many missions for Angel Flight Southeastand EEA's Young Eagels Program. Most of my flying is done out of ORL. Have used a GPS almost from day one so when I read about geocaching, I knew I'd love it right off. Wish I had more time and money to fly, but between a five year old daughter and geocaching, flying time is tight right now!

Been flying Hot Air balloons for about 15 years. Got a GPS a long time ago as "extra" info during the flight. Also make is a bit easier to let the chase

crew know where you are once you land. Then they can come find you. My balloon is named "Vertigo" and the

registration number ends with 84m.

--Wendel

Yes, I have a private pilot's license! VFR rated only. My boyfriend owned a plane so it seemed wise to learn to fly it. I'm licensed to fly older planes like the aercoupe (sp?), tripacer, colt, cherokee 140, American Trainer, Cessna 150. I'm married to a non-pilot now so geocaching is one of my new hobbies. I was never good at aerial navigation but seem to do better on the ground with my Etrex Vista.

But I am a Commercial Instrument Single and Multi Engine Land pilot, with an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic licence. Worked in this great industry for 5 years from fueling aircraft to structural mods on classfied millitary airplanes. I now am looking for work, and still have over $75,000 in student loans. Aerospace is a great thing as a hobby, but as a career choice may not be so smart... Oh, and I am looking to buy your unused aircraft for really cheap...!

When I worked for Collin Avionics (while taking ground school and flight lessions through the company) I was involved in PR for the company's early commercial GPS activities, including the first-ever transatlantic flight using only GPS navigation. This was accomplished by flying a Sabreliner biz jet from Cedar Rapids to Paris for the 1983 Paris Air Show. The pilot used only GPS navigation to get to Le Bourget Airport and taxi to within a few meters from a predetermined parking spot.

banner-small.gif

I lived in Alaska in the late 70's and did a lot of pvt. bush flying to hunt,fish,play. I ownedicon_frown.gif2) Cessna 170B,Stinson,Piper PA-14,PA-20,PA-22, and rented a Cessna 150 with 150 Lycoming to get my float rating. I belonged to CAP and flew a lot of hours in C172 and C152 doing searches. Then I stated a family and haven't flown since.