Help me with a poll!!!!!!!

casper2z

I am actually writing a report for one of my classes at U of I on Geocaching and I have a couple questions that I would love to hear all of your opinions!!! Plus if you have anything else you would like to add I would appreciate it!

1. How did you find out/start geocaching?

2. Who/what got you started geocaching?

3. How often you do it?

4. How long have you been doing it?

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

b. Placing a cache

c. other equipment and prices (lights, ropes, etc)

Thanks again!!

i heard about it from the travel channel. paid around 150.00 for gpsr 4 yrs ago couldn't find any use for it so i put it in the safe.when i saw the geocaching show i got it out and started researching.i found thru this site that there are ten or twelve caches within twenty five miles.i have not found or placed my first cache yet.hope this helps.

I saw a report on TV, a local German sender from Theinland Pfalz

?? my passion for the great outdoors maybe ??

3. How often you do it?

talking about caching or what ? icon_biggrin.gif real caches twice a month

december 2002

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

garmin extrex summit, don't know the price anymore

b. Placing a cache

tupperware + Co. so as cheap as possible. Vandalism is an important problem here in Luxembourg

Speleo and hiking equipment, but as a scout we do have most of the equipment.

donate_blood_md_wht.gif

hello

Originally posted by casper2z:

Was logging a Where's George dollar and saw a geocaching section. Did a google search and bought a GPSr the next weekend.

See above.

3. How often you do it?

Every weekend

September 2002

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

b. Placing a cache

GPS was around $200 (after mail-in rebate).

Our trade items probably average $5 each.

Other equipment probably $100--we already had most of our hiking gear. Did buy some nice lights and a vest with a ton of pockets (the last in the size that Cache Masters wanted muhahahahaha)

We do spend a lot on gasoline now icon_frown.gif

quote:

3. How often you do it?

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

b. Placing a cache

1...I originally found out about Geocaching when my husband wanted to buy a GPS. I don't even know why he wanted one. Because it was a "gadget" I'm sure. So he asked me to do some research on the internet about GPSr's. When I did the search, Google gave me the geocaching website. I read a little bit of it and thought..........ooooh that sounds sooo cool!! So I told my husband about it......and then he didn't buy one. Just lost interest I guess. 6 months later, my brother comes down to visit for the weekend and shows us his new GPS. He wanted to play with it, but didn't know what to do. I remembered Geocaching from 6 months ago, so i went on their site and looked up a cache. We all loaded up into the van and did our first cache. HOOKED!!! On the way home, we stopped and bought our own GPS. he he he!

2....See #1

3....We go geocaching at least once a week if we can.

4....Since October 2002

5....Our first GPS was a Garmin Etrex Venture i think we paid $169 for it. Second one we just got recently is the Geko 201 for $119. The first cigarette lighter adapter we bought was $36 (ouch)retail. The second one I just got on ebay for $9.95. Then add in the expense of Fanny packs and all the horns and whistles that go along with hiking in the woods..........

Good luck on your report!!

Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

About.com geography newsletter

The idea was intriguing, I had the GPSr. The right mix of hi-tech toys and outdoors.

3. How often you do it?

At least once a week, weather permitting. Sometimes several days in a row. My vacations have changed because I want to geocache as I go, when I get there, and on the way home.

7 months

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

300 plus accessories, another 300

b. Placing a cache

20 to 30 including container and goodies

PDA (400), backpacks (50), goodies to place in caches (150), Annual park passes (60), radios (75), clothing (150)

I already had the laptop and digital camera so I can't include those items.

Cheap for al the fun I am having!!

Saw a show on the travel channel back in september.

Saw a show on the travel channel back in september. And our love for adventure and the outdoors just help it along it's way

3. How often you do it?

As often as possible and for right now that twice a week.

7 months

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS-three hundred

b. Placing a cache 20-30 dollars

c. other equipment and prices (lights, ropes, etc)backpack,compass,hiking shoes, about 200 dollars

1&2) I found out about geocaching through the Cleveland Metroparks. The naturalist who runs the program was telling us about it on a nature hike that I was on. At that time they were just setting up their program. The caches that the park system has placed have written instructions for people who don't have a GPS, so I started off with those. Then my sister got me a GPS for my birthday and I've become unstoppable.

3) Probably average once a week. I've been unemployed for the last few months and have been going out much more often. Unfortunately, I've been to all the caches close by, so now I have to wait for new caches to be placed.

4) I've been geocaching since March, 2002, but I only registered on geocaching.com in December, 2002.

5) a) My GPS was a birthday gift.

:) I've placed one cache. I am a packrat, so I already had everything that I needed for it.

c) Like most people, right now my biggest expense is gas. As I have to go farther out the expense gets higher. Lately my geocaching trips have been carefully planned to maximize my cache/gallon. The only other expense is batteries. LIke I said, I'm a packrat, I have lots of 'trade goods' around here.

I was doing a google search for GPS software for my Palm unit (mainly golf utilities). Found a link to Putt Putt Geocahing.

See #1

3. How often you do it?

I try to get out at least once a month

Since August '02

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS - $250

b. Placing a cache - n/a

c. other equipment and prices (lights, ropes, etc) - $50-$100

GO ILLINI!!!

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

1. I have been doing research on GPS since 1989 for military applications. When we started there were so few satellites that we could only get 15 min. windows at odd hours of the day and night. So we would pack up the equipment and head out whenever 3 satelites were available. The first reciever was 1/2 the size of a footlocker and HEAVY!

When the subject of geocaching came up it was centered on the west coast, not in Texas, so we promptly forgot about it.

2. When my #2 son got back from Kosovo he re-introduced me to the sport, which had spread rapidly in the meantime.

3. Mrs. Hiemdahl and I usually go 2 or 3 times a month. I always take my trusty Legend and some cache sheets when on business trips. it beats sitting around a hotel bar. Besides it is always a good excuse to get some exercise and fresh air.

4. Did my first cache in may of 2001.

5.a. The SLGR, PLGR, 12, 12XL, and DeLorme were all lab equipment. I got my Legend in 2001 as a Xmas present so I did not have to carry work home.

5.b. Not counting manhours, (it can take me up to a year to get a cache right before placing it) probably $50-75.

5.c. Backpack, rain gear, flashlight, 1st aid kit, compass, bug spray, sunscreen, maps, etc.,etc., were mostly on hand. But I would estimate $150-200 to start from scratch

I belong to an astronomy club and someone mentioned a cache very nearby our facility. I looked it up and got interested.

My wife bought me a gps for Christmas.

3. How often you do it?

At least once a month. It would be more but I save my outing for those times when my daughter is inclined to go with me.

A year last January.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

I the neighborhood of $250 (at the time).

b. Placing a cache

Haven't yet but we are planning to.

Another $50 or so on Computer cables, dash mounts, belt clips, binders.

I am not counting the money spent on a camera and cell phone that we already had, or the mountain of computer prints I've made for the caches, or the hiking boots and socks, or the gas I've spent.

Accidently came across the Geocaching website.

Read a little bit about it, and figured that it would be cool to find hidden stuff in the desert.

3. How often you do it?

About once a week.

Since November of 2001.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

Started with a Garmin Etrex for $100, then went to a Magellan 315 for $150, and now have a Magellan MeriPlat which runs about $250, if you can catch it on sale.

b. Placing a cache

Ammo box=$7-10 / Goodies to fill it=$10-15 at the dollar store / Climbing for hours through cactus, scorpions, hot sun and diamondback rattlers to hide it all=PRICELESS

Don't use additonal equipment. I did, however, buy some desert camo clothing to blend in, this set me back about $35.

Read an article in local newpaper about it.

Thought it would be another good use for my gps and good exercise.

3. How often you do it?

Depends on the weather..if good, will try to get out a little every weekend. If cold, I can do without it.

Since January, 2003

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

around $250...Garmin III

b. Placing a cache

tupperware...$5.00

nominal

From a comic book called "Knights of the Dinner Table", the author, Jolly Blackburn, put it in his editorial. They also did a strip on it in the comic soon after. If you like D & D, or other RPG's and/or board games, check it out!

See above, the comic inspired me.

3. How often you do it?

As often as I can, usually once a week in the spring though fall, but snow and tax season limits me in the winter.

Since May, 2002.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS Birthday present, Etex Yellow ($120)

b. Placing a cache , $1 for log books and pencils, I put old CD's and books in my caches, so you make the call, to me it's nothing, since that money was spent years ago.

Very little, just gas on the way I guess. I am not high tech......yet.

Will cache for food.migo_sig_logo.jpg

Read about it in a local newspaper

see #1

3. How often you do it?

It varies. Probably between 4-8 days a month

1 year, 5 months

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

$210 for first GPS, $349 for 2nd (1st was Legend, 2nd was Vista).

b. Placing a cache

Usually between $15 & $30 for each cache, including container and goodies.

Nothing. I already owned most other equipment I need.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

Dad read about it in Outside magazine. One of the earliest is within miles of my house.

Just liked the idea. I'd have loved this as a kid.

3. How often you do it?

One afternoon a week on average.

Found my first 10 1/2 months ago, but then went two months before finding another. It's been continuous since then.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

$9, using LL Bean Visa card bonus.

b. Placing a cache

First one, stocked with supplies on hand, maybe $1 or 2. Second, logbook micro, $1. Third, maybe $10 (paid $1 for the ammo box at a highway gift shop).

Already had most of what I use. Some TBs, ~$30. Membership, $30. eTrex cable, $14. Various costs for a recent event, $40 or so.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

3. How often you do it?

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS <$135 Garmin 12 from the PX>

b. Placing a cache < Minimal - just the cost of decent containers. I have found that you can get a TON of interesting items from an auction for a few dollars. Far more interesting than buying junk from the dollar store>

c. other equipment and prices (lights, ropes, etc)<$98 for a Camelbak daypack I have devoted to caching gear: water,headlamp,notebook,items,FRS radios,etc>

Hope that helps!

Sincerely,

PULASKI

My 8 yr old daughter was studying pirates in 2nd grade and wanted to hunt for treasure. She put all of her old happy meal toys in a box and asked me to hide them in the backyard. Then I did "warmer-colder" until she found the treasure. (You can't make this stuff up... GPS is just an electronic version of "warmer-colder".) She liked it so much that she asked to hunt for REAL treasure, I got on the internet, found this site, and ordered a GPS receiver the next day.

3. How often you do it?

I go out once or twice a week, sometimes with my daughter and sometimes on my own. Average 25 to 35 caches per month.

Since June 2002.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

$275

b. Placing a cache

Average $20 for a traditional cache.

See this cache log. Add in rainsuit, Camelbaks and other misc. supplies and I've easily spent $400 on equipment.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

My old boss, Bitbrain, while planing for a canoeing trip found a link to the website while researching the river we were conoeing on.

My old boss - Bitbrain

3. How often you do it?

Whenever I have free time, but usually on the weekends.

Since July 2002

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

I first bought a Meridigreen off of E-bay for $140. Then sold it and bought a Meridicolor for $400.

b. Placing a cache

I always use an ammo containor. ($4)

Trinkets (around $10-$20)

Laminated cache sheets ($5)

Trading items ($1-$5)

New Caching bag ($40)

Forever flashlight ($35)

Mt. bike to go caching with ($400)

Personal specialty items ($150 for 1000)

I was searching on the web for something else and ran across a comment by someone (that I didn't know) that they wanted to get into geocaching. I did a search on the term and found geocaching.com

Reading the geocaching.com website and seeing that there were so many caches close by. The "treasure hunt" aspect was (still is) so intriguing!

3. How often you do it?

As often as possible -- every weekend, weather permitting.

Almost a year.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

Which one (haha). I bought a used Garmin 12 from an acquaintance and within a month or so, picked up an eTrex Legend for only $100 on an auction site.

b. Placing a cache

I try to hold it to under $20, including cache container.

I mostly plundered my scout camping equipment for geocaching use. I bought a small, lightweight backpack with water bladder (about $30), a decent compass (less than $10), and a lightweight walking stick (about $30). I always pack a flashlight and sometimes carry rope depending on the cache description.

Good luck with your project!

52813_3100.gif

Bought a GPS first day I heard about geocaching and went after first cache that weekend.

A friend of my wife told her about it. I think she regrets it now. icon_biggrin.gif

3. How often you do it?

As often as I can. I went a week without finding a cache once. Really. icon_biggrin.gif

Actually I started out slow with 50 in the first six months then I the bug really hit me. I'd go caching every day if I could.

July 2001

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

First GPS $79. Now between new setup, software another $500.

b. Placing a cache

I'm a seeker so I've only place 2 caches and one of thoes is archived.

First cache was log only with an item I found while caching. Cost $0

Second cache was standard ammo box. Cost < $10

Signature Items $300+

Gas - won't go there

Read about it somewhere and forgot about it. Then one day sat in front of the computer and recalled something about geocaching and figured if there really was a geocaching there would be a geocaching.com...

Same as above. I like the idea so when I remembered about the website I thought "Lets see what's close" Found a spot that I knew and went out without a GPS or map and got skunked. Emailed a friend who had a GPS, Got him hooked and he sent pic's of the actual spot. Then we found it.

3. How often you do it?

Whenever there is time. Normally weekly, but not always. Every now and then real life creeps up on you. Major cache hunts are not as often.

Just over a year.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

480 at the time.

b. Placing a cache

10 bucks. Don't have the loose change to do much better than that.

This is why I don't have much loose change.

92 Bronco, 4200. Repairs to 92 Bronco ongoing.

Dues 30. year (Voluntary)

Topo software 100 per state.

Gas, 100 a month give or take.

GPS upgrades and cables, 100

PDA 320 (iPaq 3955), Spare PDA when the first one died, 363 (Dell Axim x5)

Compass 50 (got a good one, never used it for caching since)

But far and away GAS, GAS, GAS, dominates the geocaching equation.

Wherever you go there you are.

I found out about geocaching through a friend at work (he found out about through an article in GIS trade magizine)

I got into it because I love treasure hunting (used to set treasures and draw maps as a kid)

GPSr cost $180, setting a cache = about $30, cache loot = about $3-5 each, new cache pack = about $30. Other hiking gear I already owned.

I started in jan of 2002 ...and how often varies depending on weather (it has been a rough winter)

- during the summer i try to go every weekend.

Good Luck on the Report!!

-jeannine

Saw I blurb on TV

Desperation to find something interesting to do in Mid TN.

3. How often you do it?

It varies, some months, I'll cache several times per week with an all day marathon on the weekend. Sometimes, however, I'll barely cache all month long. It depends on what else is going on in my life.

It will be two years in June.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

My 3+ was about $140 on eBay

b. Placing a cache

Micros and virts are free, of course. Others can vary. Usually $20 and up.

I dare not add up all these expenses.

Read a comment sig on slashdot.org about it then got hooked after I bought an etrex basic.

Me, but Myself and I also had a role icon_smile.gif

3. How often you do it?

Whenever I can. I got sick over the winter which caused me to be weak physically but I've gotten better again and hope to go at least once a month looking for real caches.

Since end of Sept 2002.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

Great deal $85+10s/h with cable used

b. Placing a cache

Soon but not yet... (0,nothing)

$17 compass

$10 batteries

$0 everything else alreay had

So thats $27 total not including the gps

--Ricky Cobb

1. I heard about it on the Savvy traveler on Minnesota public radio

2. Checked out the web site saved for a GPS'r found two caches I has hooked

3. when ever I have free time

4. July 2002

5. a. etrex legend $200 ebay

b. between $15-$25 to place a cache

c. software for gps'r $150

travel bugs $100

accessorys for gps'r $80

membership $30 a year

trinkets to trade $50

An article in Playboy Magazine. The technical, mixed with the outdoor adventure snagged me.

After reading about it, I "Knew" it was invented for me. I bought a GPSr that day and found my first one, and then hid my first a week later.

3. How often you do it?

I am starting to pace myself, but I have been getting 5 a week consistantly since I started a year ago.

May 2002

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS -- $149, but have my eyes on a $399 model. I also bought $99 mapping software.

b. Placing a cache -- Typically $10-$20

c. other equipment and prices (lights, ropes, etc) -- Stuff I already had. I did buy a new pair of hiking shoes, which I needed anyway. And, I bought a Camelbak pack for about $49.

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice that anyone that caches less than you do is a moron, while anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac? -Dru Morgan

quote:

3. How often you do it?

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

b. Placing a cache

1. First read it in a newspaper article about a year ago. Thought it sounded cool.

2. This past summer, my husband won a GPSr at a computer geek conference. The GPSr sat around for quite a while. One day, on the computer looking around on Google, found the geocaching.com website. Signed up and found my first cache within about an hour.

3. Started slow, now caching on average twice a week.

4. Since November 2002

5. Don't have a lot of expendable income (stay at home mom), so I try to find deals to keep me in geocaching equipment.

GPSr: 1st one free (see above). A Blazer 12 (two decimal) Just recently replaced with a Magellan Meridian (on sale for $99.00 - Rebate (hopefully to come, see other threads on this forum..haven't figured out how to Markwell yet) for $50.00 - net $49.00

Placing a cache: Can't give exact figure, but not much. Since I don't have many out there yet, a lot of my cache items have been gleaned from things already owned.

Other equipment: Handspring Visor PDA used exclusively for caching - $50.00 on e-bay. Backpack - $1.99 at a thrift store. "swag" - so far approximately $100.00. Swag expenses are hard to determine, due to using previously owned stuff, packs of batteries bought in bulk, things purchased in bulk from mail order and picking up things on sale whenever and wherever. I'm just always looking for a deal. Don't want to give junk, but also don't want to break my nearly non-existant bank either.

*edited to add....

Geocaching.com membership - $30.00

Oh, yeah, there's that gas thing too.....

"Could be worse...could be raining"

[This message was edited by ErSamin on March 18, 2003 at 12:16 PM.]

Heard about people hiding cases of beer in the woods and others finding it with a GPSr. So, I researched it on the internet and found geocaching.com. Since I alread had a GPSr, I found another practical use for it beside finding my way back to a predictable point.

I got myself started. Read the boards and got up to speed on all that techie stuff that you need to make excused why you can't find it.

3. How often do you do it?

When ever the wife is willing icon_razz.gif Oh, geocaching...whenever I'm willing.

Since August 2001

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS...bought my Yellow when they first came out for about $120. As much GPS'r as I'll ever need for geocaching.

b. Placing a cache..Oh, about 20 bucks.

The usual hiking gear that I already had. You can go buck for the price of a good hiking shoe. It goes up from there depending on what makes ya comfortable. icon_smile.gif

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

- Found out about it on TV about a year ago. Found site November last year

- Enjoy cartography and geography. Loved exploring as a kid (still a kid!)

3. How often you do it?

- Atleast every weekend.

- January 2003

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

- $160

b. Placing a cache

- Haven't placed one yet

- Gas for car - 1 Arm and 1 Leg (thank god I have some left over)

When I was creating a webpage, and was finding uses for GPS.

Google search, to find uses for GPS.

3. How often you do it?

Few times a month

Since July 2001

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS - OVER $1500 for GPSs & stuff

b. Placing a cache - OVER $50

c. other equipment and prices - OVER $50

Always different...Hit refresh

maze?90+35+4+2+0+0+0+180+255+255+255

1. How did you find out/start geocaching?Web Browsing

Web site.

3. How often you do it?

once a week

4 months

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

b. Placing a cache

Camera 750.00 (Already owned it)

PDA 150.00 (Already owned it)

Backpack 50.00

wheresgeorge.com

myself

3. How often you do it?

every weekend so far and a couple of times after work or on lunch hour

two months

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

$250

b. Placing a cache

haven't done it yet but have spent about $20 on travel bugs & hitchhikers

map software about $75

first aid kit about $10

trinkets for trading about $25

bug spray about $4

mere dollars here and there for tolls, park entrance fees, etc.

It's all a bargain for the amount of fun we are having!

Be glad to give you some data.

1)I first heard about geocaching January 2002 in a newspaper article...I suspect a lot of folks first heard about this sport that way.

2)No one did...just the paper article and my strong interest in the great outdoors.

3)I'm definitely a candidate for Geocaching Anonymous...I go pretty much every other day. Of course it helps, I'm between jobs right now.

4)My first geocache attempt was Feb. 14, 2002:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=1203

I did not find it that day...I apparentlty did not enter the coordinates into the gps right. I had the sheet with me and tried to find it using the clue...I videotaped this and I found it funny as I was a greenhorn with using the gps this way and turned around about 500 feet short of the cache.

I would find the cache on Feb. 28, 2002 and had the find videotaped. I can't print what I said when I found it...four letter words tinged with excitement. It was exhilariting to see the gps work and be within 20 feet.

5)a.money already gone...I bought my eTrex Summit September 2000. Man, if I knew about caching then, I'd probably be up there with Moun10Bike. It was $250 bucks minus %20 percent REI discount coupon. I love this unit and got it for hiking at the time. Theh built in altimeter was a huge selling point.

b. 15 bucks or so per cache plant...I've planted 9 regular caches (one archived). The one micro I planted, the cost was practically nothing. I found the magnetic keyholder somewhere in the past...nope, not at a geocache.

c. Gas, gas, and gas!!!!!!!!!! I drive a 1996 Jeep Cherokee that's pretty thirsty for the stuff. All the other equipment, I already had or got in a geocache: flashlights, snowshoes, headlamps. Oh yeah, let's not forget batteries!!!! I get them at Costco in bulk.

It's safe to say hundreds of dollars (low thousands?)...I'm afraid to calculate just how much though!

This winter I bought a Sony Clie' pda for 140 bucks so this will cut cost on ink/paper for my printer. Last but not least, I was happy to pay 30 bucks for my Charter membership.

[This message was edited by evergreenhiker! on March 19, 2003 at 10:41 AM.]

I saw it mentioned on wilwheaton.net

It sounded cool, and there was actually a cache in my (small) town, so I went to wal-mart, got an etrex, and went caching

3. How often you do it?

Not as often as I'd like. I'm a stay-at-home dad with a 1 yo and a 3 yo. It's impossible to go caching with them by myself, and my wife isn't interested, so I have to wait until she'll watch the kids and I can get away.

10 months

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

$120

Cool Site of the Day - January 2001 - January 8 to be specific.

Once I read up about it and saw that there were two caches within 20 miles of my office placed by Michael Moreth (ID=41 and ID=42), I figured I might want to give this a try. Didn't buy the GPS until March 11, 2001. I registered March 9. Found my first cache ON my 34th birtday, March 13, 2001

3. How often you do it?

Every chance I get. I look forward to doing something GPS related at least once a weekend. Do I get to every weekend? No. I just figured out my average as finding 1 cache every 3 or 4 days.

Two years, 6 days.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

First one - little yellow - $114 with warranty

Second one - GPS76S, undisclosed amount (gift), but market value is now listed on TVNav.com as $449.99US

b. Placing a cache

$05.00 ammo box or container

$02.00 log book, pens, pencils

$04.00 camera

$10.00 - $15.00 contents

======

$21.00 - $26.00

Compass: $5

Cigarette Lighter Adapter and Suction Cup RAM mount: $60 combined

Digital Camera: $150

I do very little trading, but my signature item is about $2 each. Travel bugs, etc. are what I would consider incidental costs.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

1. My sister bought her boyfriend a Meriplat for Christmas and she told me about the website.

2. The website is what sold me to geocaching. I literally bought a GPSr the next day. I had no idea that there was such a large community of geocachers.

3. Right now I average 10 a month.

4. 3 months with no end in sight.

a) Found a great deal on a brand new Garmin Legend for only $110.

:) Around $10 to $20

c) PDA = $60, rechargeable batteries and charger = $50, survival supplies = $20

--CoronaKid

A friend heard about it and so he bought a GPS and told me about it .

I found a Meridian Gold at a return store still in it's package. It worked great.

3. How often you do it?

As often as I can, at least 2-3 times a week.

A month.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

$150.00

b. Placing a cache

$5.00

Back Pack = $15.00

Batteries = $10.00 a week (I use batteries (GPS food) for trading sometimes)

Gas = $15.00 a week

Misc, pens pencils log books = $10.00

I love my new hobby!!!!!

icon_biggrin.gif

The early bird gets the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

One of my websites was getting visitors referred by a site called geocaching.com... (A cache owner was linking to it to provide more information about locations).

I love maps, navigation, walking.

3. How often you do it?

As often as I can, which is usually once or twice a week.

Six months.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

Around 150 US dollars equivalent.

b. Placing a cache

Around 10 USD equiv. I've been lucky in getting quite a few swap items donated by friends and relatives so far.

Batteries and charger - around 25 USD equiv. Everything else I need I already have. Oh, and petrol (gas) - I don't add it up!

Bill

Found a link about GPS software from a Macintosh site which took me to the MacGPSPro site which brought me to geocaching.com.

The idea of a treasure hunt in my own backyard really caught my fancy and has fueled my obsession ever since.

3. How often you do it?

On average 4 to 5 times a week.

1 year, 2 months and 23 days.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

$170

b. Placing a cache

About 20 bucks for a regular sized one, about 10 bucks for a small one.

$300 bucks in geoswag, bags, camelpaks, GMRS radios.

About $2000 in gas.

I have to think of a way I can incorporate Geocaching into a paper sometime. In the mean time, here is some data for yours.

My brother introduced me to it. He loves gadgets, adventure racing and the ilk. I tagged along on a few geocaches and became hooked.

It appealed to my love of the outdoors and my obsessive nature. In addition, I found it a low cost activity for me to do with my brother and now my wife, who I introduced to Geocaching. Now when we can't figure out something to do on a Saturday, we can hop in the car and find a cache.

3. How often you do it?

As often as time allows, I don't have any consistent patterns. Since I got my own GPS, I have averaged about 1 a week.

I found my first cache with my brother in August of 2002.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

It was a Christmas gift from my wife, but I saw the bill and know she paid $140 for it. icon_wink.gif

b. Placing a cache

My cache cost about $10 to place, but I already had some of the trade items I included.

I haven't really bought any additional equipment... yet.

A link from www.straightdope.com

Pretty much same as above, but I first went with a guy called Phizy D, who had been hunting once or twice before, but never found a cache.

3. How often you do it?

When I can. I'm a Uni student (final year) and don't have a lot of time to spare. Usually manage to go once a fortnight or so.

Coming on for a year now.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

£120 - Garmin Venture, bought second hand from Phizy D.

b. Placing a cache

About £20, but it varies.

Most other things I already own, but I expect I've spent a fortune on petrol.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

A friend and I were surfing for offroading sites and stumbled across www.geocaching.com. I already owned a GPSr for hunting. The very next day he and I went out and hit our first cache. I was hooked and now have found 40, he doesn't get involved.

As above

3. How often you do it?

Whenever I can find the time!

First cache found 11/20/2002

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

$250 eTrex Legend and TopoUSA by Garmin

b. Placing a cache

Have not yet placed one, but, have one that is about 50% planned and should be a shock icon_cool.gif to the geocachers in Denver!

Geoswag (goodies) about $75 so far. For the above mentioned planned cache - $300. (Not a typo)

I can go anywhere!! ... (if my wife lets me)

Friends at work that were just getting into it.

See #1.

3. How often you do it?

I try to get out a couple times per month.

Since Jan 2003.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS - 129

b. Placing a cache - Havn't yet but I figure on $20-$30

c. other equipment and prices (lights, ropes, etc)(I have all this from participating in Rescue Work).

1. How did you find out/start geocaching? While doing a web search on GPS units.

2. Who/what got you started geocaching? It just sounded like a good excuse to have some fun outside.

3. How often you do it? At least weekly--sometimes several times a week.

4. How long have you been doing it? Almost 2 years, but I had a long break in the action shortly after starting.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS $175 SportrakPro

b. Placing a cache $0-$10

c. other equipment and prices (lights, ropes, etc) Normal hiking equipment--water bottle, first aid kit, stick, etc. None purchased expressly for geocaching.

quote:

found when looking on the Web for some info about local parks / hiking areas, kept it in my mind

but didn't act immediately...

quote:

Found a broken cache and contents scattered around in a park near our house - took it home to wash and dry, 2 weeks later bought a GPS and started participating.

quote:
3. How often you do it?

at least twice a month, 1-2 caches per a hike.

quote:

half a year

quote:
5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

less than $100 (eBay)

quote:

b. Placing a cache

N/A - didn't place any cache yet, didn't buy special gear or equipment for caching

Quite a few years ago, I read a Smithsonian article on Letterboxing in British parks and I just loved the idea. For a while I was looking to get into it and upon doing another web search, I found out about geocaching. Being a gadget/tech head, this was MUCH cooler than Letterboxing...here I am.

See above.

3. How often you do it?

About once a week.

Three months.

5. Spending amounts:

a. Price of GPS

~$160 - Garmin eTrex Venture.

b. Placing a cache

About $6.

Ahh...accessories and other toys, my downfall. About $100!