And what about them trees...

I'm looking to place a cache up in the branches of a tree. It's a big, sturdy oak with plenty of climbing limbs so i don't think the tree will be injured. But is this "legal" in geocaching? Or should I just stick to the ground? And if it placing in trees is allowed, what difficulty rating should I use to account for the fact that they will have to pretend to be a monkey in order to reach the cache? icon_confused.gif

I've placed caches in trees. Don't see a problem at all. I'm sure a good, sturdy oak could withstand a dozen or two climbers. You don't have to specify that the cache is in a tree, but make sure you adjust the difficulty level accordingly.

The need to climb a tree should make it at least a 2.5 - 3 star, depending on how difficult the climb is.

I don't think its a good idea!....

I'm 58 years old.... I don't need or want to climb trees!

Besides climbing the trees no matter how sturdy the trees look, it does damage them every time you climb or scrape the bark off them...

This sport is supposed to be ecology friendly, climbing trees violates this.

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

Cool idea, but I wouldn't do it. I'm not worried about the tree because I don't think it would cause any harm.

However, people are a different story. Geocachers are a wierd bunch...they would try to climb a tree to get to the cache wether or not they were capable of doing so, and get hurt doing it.

You might consider suspending it from a tree with a way to get it down from the ground.

Just a thought to keep in mind. Protect the seniors!

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

Just make sure you rate the terrain accordingly. That's at least a 4- 4 1/2 star. People need to account for terrain rating before heading for a cache. If they don't think they're up to the challenge then they can choose not to hunt it. As long as you honest with the ratings I see no problem.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

to hide a tree-climbing cache in. Found a great climbing tree the other day but no good place to hide a cache. I don't see a problem with it. Give it a high terrain rating. If people complain, well, they don't understand the ratings. Caches are hidden on mountains, on islands, underwater, even in poison ivy and near snakes! icon_wink.gif Geocaching appeals to all types and some of these include the more adventurous souls. If you've got a perfect tree, I'd say go for it! IMHO, of course...

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

Ask the tree. No response means it's OK.

When you write up the description, mention that climbing is involved. Or climb up there and screw a pulley into a sturdy branch so the finder can lower and raise it.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

Geocachers are a wierd bunch...they would try to climb a tree to get to the cache wether or not they were capable of doing so, and get hurt doing it.

If they did get hurt then it's just Darwin's theory of natural selection at work. Would they also go after an underwater cache if they couldn't swim?

quote:
Up A Tree

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=18229

We had a great time finding this Cache. Alot of time and energy went into hiding this one. I wish there were more like them in our area. Casey

(my son) and I are always up to the challenge.

Duane from Upinyachit

Our feet go where the caches are!

THis was our opinion on a different thread on this website. We are down with the trees............. icon_cool.gif

Living in Rochester N.Y. and the N*A*V*I*C*A*C*H*E

.C*O*M. website being so popular around this part of the woods, there are plenty of trees to hide a cache. We loved finding this cache and we are thinking of hiding a cache in a tree ourselves...

As upinyachit has said before in our posts, this site as well as the other one; We love reading a log when a member finds one of our caches. So if we decide to hide a cache in a tree, make sure you log it in on both websites.

Duane from

Upinyachit icon_cool.gif

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

I found a cache here in Oregon called Tree Hugger. It was one of the funner caches I've found so far. I thought it was a cool idea. The cache container was bungee'd to the trunk and each finder had to move it higher. Very cool. As far as people thinking it's unsafe goes: Yes it is. So don't climb it if you're scared.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I wouldn't go screwing anything into a tree, but I've also seen a cache suspended from a tree using strong fishing line tossed over a branch and secured to a nearby tree. To get the cache, you had to unwrap the anchored end from a branch and lower the cache. The fishig line is a good idea because it isn't easily seen (don't use the Stren that glows in sunlight).

On the downside the line would probably have to be replaced fairly frequently, since it will wear where it contacts the tree. And it does degrage with extended UV exposure

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Kelle

Just give it an appropriate terrain rating. If the cache would get a 2 hidden at the base of the tree, give it a 4. Just because it's dangerous doesn't mean it shouldn't be donee. There's a cache on the side of a cliff overlooking a quarry that requires rapelling gear. Dangerous for most, probably fun for people who know what they're doing.

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Or climb up there and screw a pulley into a sturdy branch so the finder can lower and raise it.

PLEASE DO NOT CLIMB TREE AND SCREW IN PULLEY...

This is the very damage that will injure the tree and cause our sport to get a bad rap!.....Think man!...

This sport should not involve injury to anything... "Tread lightly"...... We should be "invisible"....

See message thread about "The County has Spoken"......

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=9740918135

Dale

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

Even pounded a few nails in the trunk and branches for a tree house. I even recall hanging ropes off of a few trees for swings. Seems to me the tree is still standing.

Go for it - avoid the tendency to anthropormorphize the environment, and you'll be fine.

Caches of this type have already been done up here in the land of the trees. Check out Tree Hugger.

personally i would not hide a cache in a tree if you had to climb the tree. i don't know where you are from but i am from newfoundland and labrador/canada and perhaps our flora and fauna is different from yours. i think clinbing brings in possible nesting interference of birds, possible injury to tree and geocacher, and i don't think that placing the cache in a tree to be climbed realy adds to the hunt. again i must say i am thinking of climbing trees in nl not your area.

quote:
Originally posted by Salamanders W:

I'm looking to place a cache up in the branches of a tree. It's a big, sturdy oak with plenty of climbing limbs so i don't think the tree will be injured. But is this "legal" in geocaching? Or should I just stick to the ground? And if it placing in trees is allowed, what difficulty rating should I use to account for the fact that they will have to pretend to be a monkey in order to reach the cache? icon_confused.gif

I think a cache in a tree is a good idea. Depending on the tree, there is little chance of damage.

I do think that where the tree is matters. If it is in a more-or-less remote area and not likely to be climbed by dozens of families on a Sunday afternoon, go for it. It should be mentioned in the description, though. Some might choose to skip it and it would be a good idea to give everybody a heads up.

Keep on caching,

Bluespreacher

"We've got the hardware and the software, the plans and the maps ..." -- Citizen Wayne Kramer

Yes, climb the tree and put a pulley up there with a big thick stainless steel screw. It will be less damaging than having fishing line cutting into the bark on three sides. More reliable too. The tree would thank you (if it could) for all the attention it’ll be getting from the geocachers who find it. Some may even fertilize the area a time or two. Best of all, they’ll “trash out” any garbage from around the tree. He’ll like that.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

What is the price of experience, do men buy it for a song,

Or wisdom for a dance in the street.................