LocalHikes.com

DadONine

I just got an email from LocalHikes.com (you know, the site that has volunteers review hiking trails in your area, and kindly provides the reviewer with a copy of National Geographic Topo software for your state) and I was approved as one of their reporters.

The cool thing is the verbage of the email. He listed what was expected of their reporters (submitting a hike review every 60 days or so, respond to emails within 7 days), and then said to let him know if I'm "comfortable with these expectations". Not if I "agree to these terms", but rather "comfortable with these expectations".

I thought that was way cool, and hope this is an indicator of things to come.

Oh, and I can't WAIT to get the software. icon_biggrin.gif

DadONine

I have gone on one hike for LocalHikes so far, but just haven't had the time to do another. This is partly due to my truck breaking down earlier this month and needing a $1570 repair.

Now that fall is approaching, the weather will be more conducive to taking the kids hiking again.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

My initial thoughts after posting my first hike:

-read the agreements, as I am sure that anything you post becomes the property of localhikes.com, in just the way that dmoz.org operates.

-you don't keep TOPO! (which is *way* kewl), just borrow it

-you do get to keep whatever prizes they give you (or say they will) at the different levels.

-they are just getting started, so their code is a bit funky still. e.g. there is no way to change the profile you entered when you applied other than sending email to someone there.

Great deal if you are doing the hikes anyway. I wil be interesting to see if they take off.

Haven't submitted any of the hikes yet, but alrerady have several in the can & ready to send. Just got their package in the mail a few days ago, but I've been too sick the last two days to do anything but stare at it. Damned bug going around -- maybe I should leave it in a cache?

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Yeah, I just got approved as well ... awaiting the software myself ... I didn't really do for the mapping software ... sounded like something to do ... since I like to hike the area trails anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

I posted 3 because I already had photos of the trails. Now I'm just waiting for my digital camera (a surprise birthday present icon_smile.gif), so I can post some more hikes.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

quote:

The cool thing is the verbage of the email. He listed what was expected of their reporters (submitting a hike review every 60 days or so, respond to emails within 7 days), and then said to let him know if I'm "comfortable with these expectations". Not if I "agree to these terms", but rather "comfortable with these expectations".

so if you feel comfortable, does that mean you agree or disagree with the expectations. you can feel comfortable and still not agree. if you tell localhikes.com that you feel comfortable, that doesn't mean you agree or disagree. localhikes.com are setting themselves up for a problem later on.

Creativity Within The Bounds Of Conformity

The part about "anything you post becomes the property of localhikes.com" - can someone clarify? If I post a picture as part of a trail report, but then post that same picture on my personal website or photo gallery, is there any problem with that? Could I potentially get into some trouble?

Although an interesting concept, this topic has been discussed enough in the forums. Considering that this is a commercial entity and the web site does not relate directly to Geocaching, please refrain from further discussions. If you wish to debate the merits of Localhikes.com policy, feel free to do so in their forums.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™