Don't Be Scared!!

Hello fellow Ohio cachers!!! Just wanted to know why all the caches are so concentrated around major cities? Are you afraid to come out of your cubicles?? Spread them out into the country a little more. Move to the middle of the state with your caches and such. We are trying to draw cachers into our area to hunt hoping that they will bring some caches to also hide. There is so much of the state of Ohio to explore, enjoy it a little more.

The same reason caches are concentrated around most large cities: that's where most of us live. If I lived in a rural area, I would place caches in that rural area. Since I live in a large city, I place caches in the large city.

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

quote:
that's where most of us live

Yeah, I just read that most auto accidents happen with 25 miles of home.... so I am planning to move. ba-dum-bum

Seriously though, if you're going to follow the proper guidelines and actually monitor/maintain your cache it's a lot easier to do if it's relatively close to home. Although I just placed a container-less cache over 100 miles from home.

I don't think it will require any maintainence

I live near Washington DC. I have placed one cache near me and two caches in rural Virginia. The problem is that people just don't want to drive too far. I have more fun watching my suburban cache than my rural caches just becasue of the activity level.

So as soon as people start hitting my kuntree-caches, I'll place more of them.

You guys have a point, it is kinda fun for us to come into the Big cities and see that there really is some really nice spots that you would not think would be there. I have spent many days searching in Columbus and dayton, and have been totally suprised by very nice scenery. But don;t forget about us country bumkins in Ashland OH, We have some of the nicest Glacier cut ravines in the state. And we take our cachen serious!! Good travels to all!!! Seeker BP

quote:
Originally posted by seeker bp (Team E-Trex):

But don;t forget about us country bumkins in Ashland OH, We have some of the nicest Glacier cut ravines in the state. And we take our cachen serious!! Good travels to all!!! Seeker BP

I recently dated a girl from near you (New London)and have been hoping she would find this sport. I kinda wish I was still seeing her, because then I would have a reason to go to Ohio and geocache!

That was sort of a shot, but don't take it personally. There really are some neat things to see in your area and I do occasionally look for new caches in Huron/Crawford counties. Nice place to visit in the fall. I just wish it wasn't so flat. We do like our hills and ridges here in Central PA!

Keep cachin!

Smoochnme

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day...

Teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime"

Seeing as I live in a rural town that has not yet become assimilated into the Boise Metropolitan Area all my caches are rural. If this weekend goes right I'll help set one near a 'nice physical feature' of the state. There are plans in the world for more semi remote caches. It just takes time. None of them are anywhere near Ohio. But Twin Falls needs some help.

I have had the honor of hunting a few caches in Ohio, in the Akron/Canton area and in the Cambridge area. You run into pseudo wilderness just about anytime you leave the main roads.

My last trip out there, I not only got a couple of really great caches, I had the opportunity to meet some Omish (spelling?) people. Some quick greetings anyway. Friendly people.

I was very surprised at the diversity of the area. Had great fun except for the mutant rose bushes. I'll be better preparred next time.

geosign.gif

Come visit southern Ohio. I doesn't seem so flat to me. We have rolling hills, caves, waterfalls, steep hills, gorges, rocky cliffs like the one in my pic and yes we even have big flat area's.

Diversity is what it is all about.

I would like to visit Pennsylvania sometime too. Especially the strange town of centralia. Sorry for getting off topic.

icon_wink.gif

Come visit southern Ohio. I doesn't seem so flat to me. We have rolling hills, caves, waterfalls, steep hills, gorges, rocky cliffs like the one in my pic and yes we even have big flat area's.

Diversity is what it is all about.

I would like to visit Pennsylvania sometime too. Especially the strange town of centralia. Sorry for getting off topic.

icon_wink.gif

quote:

Hello fellow Ohio cachers!!! Just wanted to know why all the caches are so concentrated around major cities? Are you afraid to come out of your cubicles??

I guess I have a lot of the same problem here in North Texas. I live about 50 miles from the largest concentration of caches. I seem to do a lot more driving than my peers to get fewer caches. I have placed three in my area, but no one else has. icon_frown.gif No biggie, though. I know of three new geocachers in my county because of my caches. Unfortunately, after mine were found, they seem to lose interest. But it's promising, and it looks like the activity is going to grow.

Funny thing is that one of my caches is less than 6 miles off Interstate-30. Would be a GREAT drop off/pick up location for cross-country Travel Bugs. HINT HINT! icon_smile.gif

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

quote:

Hello fellow Ohio cachers!!! Just wanted to know why all the caches are so concentrated around major cities? Are you afraid to come out of your cubicles??

I guess I have a lot of the same problem here in North Texas. I live about 50 miles from the largest concentration of caches. I seem to do a lot more driving than my peers to get fewer caches. I have placed three in my area, but no one else has. icon_frown.gif No biggie, though. I know of three new geocachers in my county because of my caches. Unfortunately, after mine were found, they seem to lose interest. But it's promising, and it looks like the activity is going to grow.

Funny thing is that one of my caches is less than 6 miles off Interstate-30. Would be a GREAT drop off/pick up location for cross-country Travel Bugs. HINT HINT! icon_smile.gif

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

i see the concern but in a way its an unrealistic request. we all have to be able to maintain our caches. a cache out in the sticks is cool but its a drag to have to drive out to check on it. if you have more than one its can become very un-fun. i have one cache out in the boonies. though not a toughy, its on a road that is very traveled so it will give the tourist-geocacher a chance to log a find. its over 80 miles round trip from home for me. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=7254

urbo

quote:
Originally posted by Ranz:

My last trip out there, I not only got a couple of really great caches, I had the opportunity to meet some Omish (spelling?) people. Some quick greetings anyway. Friendly people.

Thats the Amish, but close enough. Yeah the older generation is quite friendly, until you get the younger croud. Loud music in a car is bad enough, but put the loud music in a horse drawn buggy late at night.....

Oh, and Seeker Bp. Don't worry about us city and suburbanites, when you get the itch to cache, you'll go anywhere to get your fix. (I think its time for me to join the 12-steppers. "Hi. My name is Fred....." icon_smile.gif )

Never hold a cat and a Dustbuster at the same time.

quote:
Originally posted by Ranz:

Thats the Amish, but close enough. Yeah the older generation is quite friendly, until you get the younger croud. Loud music in a car is bad enough, but put the loud music in a horse drawn buggy late at night.....

Oh, and Seeker Bp. Don't worry about us city and suburbanites, when you get the itch to cache, you'll go anywhere to get your fix. (I think its time for me to join the 12-steppers. "Hi. My name is Fred....." icon_smile.gif )

Never hold a cat and a Dustbuster at the same time.

quote:
Originally posted by Cachemere:

_...us country bumkins in Ashland OH..._

Wow, I know where that is...I was born there, a LONG time ago! Small world! icon_cool.gif

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

Even smaller world: My wife was born there, too.

25021_1200.gif

quote:

_...us country bumkins in Ashland OH..._

Wow, I know where that is...I was born there, a LONG time ago! Small world! icon_cool.gif

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. icon_smile.gif

25021_1200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

I about fell out of my chair when I read that! I was born back in '57 (well, THAT cat's outta the bag). We moved away when I was 9. Please ask your wife if she remembers the Dairy Dolly. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

I about fell out of my chair when I read that! I was born back in '57 (well, THAT cat's outta the bag). We moved away when I was 9. Please ask your wife if she remembers the Dairy Dolly. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Hmmm...She was born in '58. She never actually lived there, but both sets of grandparents did. She still has relatives in Ashland. I'll ask about the Dairy Dolly -

25021_1200.gif

quote:

Hmmm...She was born in '58. She never actually lived there, but both sets of grandparents did. She still has relatives in Ashland. I'll ask about the Dairy Dolly -

25021_1200.gif

Yes, the A&W was there when I was a kid. I also have vague memories of a drive-in movie theatre (don't remember if it was in Ashland or Mansfield).

It's too bad the Dairy Dolly is gone. I remember the Zurcker (sp?) family who owned it. Anyone, besides me, remember the old donkeys they had out back of the place?

quote:
Originally posted by OblongFred:

Loud music in a car is bad enough, but put the loud music in a horse drawn buggy late at night.....

It's all the *thump* *thump* *thump* sounds from their 500 watt bibles.

Cachemere asked:

quote:
Anyone, besides me, remember the old donkeys they had out back of the place?

That was where my old buddy Lampwick ended up.

Well, the A&W is still going strong, but the drive- in theatre is gone and is now one giant police station and jail. Times have changed. There was also a drive-in theatre on 42 on your way to Mansfield, but know it is a strippers bar. How far we have advanced!! Kinda cool hearing from ex- Ashland people. I have been here about 18 years now.