Event Caches and logging multiple finds

spinwebby

It seems like there is some question about logging multiple finds on event caches. Although I would like to believe that people come to events for the social activity, I do enjoy offering the multiple finds as a reward for the attendees, one for each of the temporary caches placed just for events. I've heard that this will no longer be allowed. I suppose it could be a horrible rumor, but would like to know if anyone has been denied multiple finds on event caches.

SpinWebby

I think I had mentioned this once in some other thread (maybe after the Chicago picnic) but perhaps there needs to be another cache type, such as a "One-Day Cache".

I've been to a few cache events, and while, granted, they can be an easy way to pad your stats, it's not like I didn't have to make an effort to find them. It was just the fact that there were many caches in a small area and a whole day to find them that enabled this.

I can understand just making one log on an event cache if you showed up instead of one log for each cache found. That's why it would be nice to have a temporary cache type so that an event organizer can create a separate log for each cache hidden. The difference between this and a regular cache is that the temporary one would not show up on any kind of search. You would have to have a direct link going to it from the main event cache page. You wouldn't even need to worry about archiving it. Perhaps the page would be set so that it was locked until a certain time (to keep event-goers from peeking) and then opened after the event for people to log their finds.

Just my $0.02.

Besides, I thought the number of finds didn't matter... icon_wink.gif

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

quote:
Originally posted by Cheesehead Dave:

...it's not like I didn't have to make an effort to find them. It was just the fact that there were many caches in a small area and a whole day to find them that enabled this.

I agree with Dave's comments, just wanted to add that the events I've been too, the temps weren't even in a small area. Some were miles from each other. Indeed, I've worked very hard for many of the temps I've hunted at events.

On the other hand, I've hunted some caches where I didn't need to shut the engine in the car off. Just step out, walk over to the bush, pick it up and log it, and away I went. I am allowed to count that cache towards my experiance, but not the one at the event I had to hike 3 miles for. Go figure.

How is hunting a physical cache at an event like a stage of a multi-cache?

If I follow a set of co-ordinates with my GPSR, get to that spot and hunt around till I find the cache container, and am successful, then I found the cache. So why exactly am I only allowed to log that find if the cache is going to be around after the event is over. That is the ONLY difference. The permanence of the cache

If the cache stays around after the event, then Jeremy says it can be logged. If it doesn't stay around after the event, it can't be logged. Tht's the determination.

So how does that relate to your example? I don't see the analogy...

Note that the difficulty of the cache has no bearing on if it can be logged. If its a 3 mile hike that includes rock climbing, but its at an event, then no find can be logged. However, if its 50 feet from a parking spot under a bush, but its permanent, then that one can be logged.

I just don't get it. What exactly is the find count for? What's its purpose? We've all been told that its not a score. SInce its not weighted by terrain or hunt difficulty, it certainly doesn't measure a cacher's experiance level (cacher A has hunted 10 5/5 multi stages, cacher B has hunted 100 1/1 virtuals). So what use is the find count? Now we've learned that any caches we find at events aren't included in the count either, so now it won't even be an accurate count of how many we've hunted; for every event you attend and hunt caches, your 'find' count will start diverging from the number of caches you have actually found.

I just don't get it...

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of Wisconsin:

How is hunting a physical cache at an event like a stage of a multi-cache?

To start with:

quote:
I view this the same way, and my opinion is no.

I don't have the clout to disallow anything here, and I wouldn't bother disallowing this if I did.

The question here is about "logging multiple finds on event cache". That is multiple caches are available for finding, and people are logging multiple times on a single Event cache, one for each of the caches. It seems to me that multiple caches at a single Event are atomic pieces of the complete Event.

quote:
If I follow a set of co-ordinates with my GPSR, get to that spot and hunt around till I find the cache container, and am successful, then I found the cache.

But you do the exact same thing with each stage of a multi, yes? You have coordinates, you go there, you hunt, you find a container. But that isn't logged in the multicache's log. Only the finding of the final cache allows you to log a Find on the cache.

quote:
So why exactly am I only allowed to log that find if the cache is going to be around after the event is over. _That is the ONLY difference._ _The permanence of the cache_

If the cache stays around after the event, then Jeremy says it can be logged. If it doesn't stay around after the event, it can't be logged. Tht's the determination.

A single cache, yes. I don't know, has there been an instance of multiple caches being available after an Event? How have post-Event logs been handled in those cases?

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
It seems to me that multiple caches at a single Event are atomic pieces of the complete Event.

Yep, all part of the event. But they are still no less caches.

quote:
But you do the exact same thing with each stage of a multi, yes? You have coordinates, you go there, you hunt, you find a container. But that isn't logged in the multicache's log. Only the finding of the final cache allows you to log a Find on the cache.

Are you talking about a multi-stage or a multi-cache? While each stage of a multi-stage must be followed to the final actual cache to count as a find is true, its not tru of a multi-cache where the cache owner has hidden one or more optional caches beyond the main one, and allows for finds to be logged for each of the optional that is found. I've seen many of these types of caches.

quote:
A single cache, yes. I don't know, has there been an instance of multiple caches being available after an Event? How have post-Event logs been handled in those cases?

In the events I've been to, none of the temp caches were left active and available to hunt after the event was over. Post-event logging was all done on the event's page a short, single line find logs that state the name of each state the name of the temp cache that is being logged.

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of

Are you talking about a multi-_stage_ or a multi-_cache_? While each stage of a multi-stage must be followed to the final actual cache to count as a find is true, its not tru of a multi-_cache_ where the cache owner has hidden one or more _optional_ caches beyond the main one, and allows for finds to be logged for each of the optional that is found. I've seen many of these types of caches.

I'm using the definition from the Cache Types page:

quote:
Multi-Cache

A multiple cache has 2 or more caches. There are many variations, but most multi-caches have a hint to find the second cache, and the second cache has hints to the third, and so on. An offset cache (where you go to a location and get hints to the actual cache) is considered a multi-cache.

When I seek a cache labelled as a Multi, I generally expect to find a micro with coordinates or a hint to other coordinates. I've only recently seen one where each...component?...is a separate cache with its own registered page.

But I think this exposes the root of the problem in this discussion and the other one. Everyone has seen different kinds of multis and events (the comparison to multis has come up there, too), and those are what they are thinking of when their opinion is formed. After reading the other thread and seeing how other events have worked, I'm going to backpedal and say I see the reason for multiple logs on an event, if the owner wants to allow it.

But I still don't have clout. And I *am* moving to the other thread now (was still writing when Markwell posted).

To reiterate what I said in the other thread, I think there is some misunderstanding here. What I think Jeremy is talking about is the creating of a page for each individual temporary cache to be placed during an event cache (picnic, etc...). I can see how this can be an additional burden on the admins and resources.

What some others are talking about here is placing several caches at an event and allowing people to log multiple finds for that event, for each of the temps they find there. I think this was done at the Chicago area picnic. I know some heads were turned when a bunch of people started logging numerous finds for the same event cache. Once the situation was explained, then most people had no problem with it and I've seen nothing to indicate that this practice will no longer be allowed.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller