Big Money Cache Idea

Guest daviskw

Guest daviskw

I'm thinking of a new idea to make my caches interesting. I'll plant a multi part cache near a large metropolitan center in a well-known park. Say three or four caches with clues to a special hidden treasure cache. When and if cachers figure out the clues and find the hidden cache they will be asked to add cash to the treasure not remove it. On the geocaching website I will explain that when the cache reaches a certain amount, say $105.00, I?ll post in the log area that the cache is full. When cachers see this post they will know the first person to the hidden cache gets $100 and leaves $5 for seed money. Of course it will be an honor system but I?ve found most people in our sport are honest. Only those who have solved the clues will know where to look. After the money is removed I can always change the clues and re-hide the treasure for another hunt. Please tell me what you think of this idea, and any suggestions you have to make it even better.

Butch

Guest cache_ninja

well, i dunno,

first , maybe you could start off w/a lower $ requirement, maybe not everyone can afford to shell out 5$, but then again, its their choice not to etc. i'd do a test run with people adding 1$, leaving the total $ amount a mystery, this is more interesting to me. i dunno where you are at, but there seem to be a ton of people near St. Louis, so the 1$s could add up quickly...

then, when it reaches a certain amount that you randomly determine, i suggest you rehide it somewhere else. the way you want to do it, it seems like, unless i misread what you wr0te, it would be just a matter of people rushing back to the same spot they've already been to-not too interesting IMHO.

i'd much rather have something interesting and wacky someone left in a cache, than cash.

i would tend to use the cash for something unexciting...maybe each person who leaves $ can leave a suggestion where to get a gift certificate for a Big Prize etc. you pick a good sugestion, this way, when someone finds it they have to buy themself something...

just some ideas...

c/n

I like the idea, but I agree with cache_ninja

about just going back to the same site. Besides, once it gets over $50, you're gonna have a hard time keeping people honest.

Here's a thought, maybe a little complicated, but open a savings account and put the deposit slips in the cache. Include the coordinates of the bank or soomething like that. When you get a certain amount, create a new cache with the cash. Just a thought for you.