A Little Levity

Guest celts

Guest celts

As I read the USA TODAY article, I couldn't help but laugh, since that's how most of my cache hunts have gone. It's not always me who's complaining (stinging nettles), sometimes it's my daughter (blackberry bushes ), my husband (chiggers), my sister ( mosquitoes) or my 10 year old grandson ("watch out Grandma--you're going to fall").Nonetheless, we find our caches, have a great time together and go home generally in one piece. My latest annoyance is the fact that I have to wear GLASSES to read.There, I've said it. While not a member of the original PRESBYOPIC 6, I may soon join their semi-subversive organization as will untold millions of my compatriots--the BABY BOOMER generation. You'll see us out there in the fields and thickets, Etrex in hand, glasses perched on nose, trying to see the ground and walk AND read the GPS at the same time. Maybe it's just an issue of vanity, but should I be forced into BIFOCALS just so I can geocache? Then again, there's always Lasik eye surgery.

So there's my story. What makes you laugh about geocaching?

[This message has been edited by celts (edited 28 July 2001).]

Guest Guppy

Watching my husband becoming addicted to geocaching. "Honey, I've printed out the next 27 caches we're going for." "I think we should get a cell phone just in case." "Do you think we can do more than ONE today?" "Can we PRACTICE with the GPS now?" "Let's take the dogs for a walk and use the "tracback" just to see how accurate it is."

Guest Robereno

I am, without a doubt, a member of the baby boom generation and your comments about the bifocals really struck home. Last year I was put into the things and life has not been the same. I wear the blasted things on a string around my neck and I?m still constantly taking them off and on. They get in the way, I lose them three times a day and then I break them when I sit on them. On cache hunts I?m wearing a backpack, carrying a digital camera in one hand and GPS in the other, trying to manipulate all this while carrying a walking stick (bad knees) and now, I have to fiddle with the glasses. On the annoyance scale this is definitely in the upper levels.

If I can?t get used to these things I?m going to leave them in my next cache and go for contact lenses. (Not sure if they make bifocal contacts but I?m willing to give it a try.)

And yet, at least, I can still laugh about it. (So far) icon_smile.gif

Guest Robereno

I am, without a doubt, a member of the baby boom generation and your comments about the bifocals really struck home. Last year I was put into the things and life has not been the same. I wear the blasted things on a string around my neck and I?m still constantly taking them off and on. They get in the way, I lose them three times a day and then I break them when I sit on them. On cache hunts I?m wearing a backpack, carrying a digital camera in one hand and GPS in the other, trying to manipulate all this while carrying a walking stick (bad knees) and now, I have to fiddle with the glasses. On the annoyance scale this is definitely in the upper levels.

If I can?t get used to these things I?m going to leave them in my next cache and go for contact lenses. (Not sure if they make bifocal contacts but I?m willing to give it a try.)

Guest ALacy

quote:
Originally posted by Robereno:

...I?m going to leave them in my next cache and go for contact lenses. (Not sure if they make bifocal contacts but I?m willing to give it a try.)

Yea, they make bifocal contacts, they are hard and wieghted on bottom to keep them turned in the correct manner and expensive. I thought about them and just went with progressive bifocals. While I woutld rather not have them. they work ok for me.

Guest ALacy

quote:
Originally posted by Robereno:

...I?m going to leave them in my next cache and go for contact lenses. (Not sure if they make bifocal contacts but I?m willing to give it a try.)

Yea, they make bifocal contacts, they are hard and wieghted on bottom to keep them turned in the correct manner and expensive. I thought about them and just went with progressive bifocals. While I woutld rather not have them. they work ok for me.

Guest Sluggo

quote:
Originally posted by ALacy:

About a year ago I got my Opthomologist to perscribe Accuvue Bi-focals, they are soft bi-focal versions of the Accuvue Softlens. While they are not perfect, they are ideal for certain situations (geocaching being one of them). When I am at home working in the office I wear regular Accuvues, and use reading glasses on top of them, but when I'm doing something that requires frequent far/near focus changes, I wear the Accuvue Bi-focals. At about$6 a pair, they cost about 2 times as much as the regular lens (they both are disposable), they are a little thicker (hence less comfortable), and a bit harder to "install". But they are worth their weight in gold while "on the hunt". If you want more information, drop me an e-mail.