Who Invented Geocaching?

iBrew

I was reading an article in the July 18th, 2003 Pottsville Republican Newspaper from Pottsville, PA. It states that Schneeberg Wasserman otherwise known as East Side Dave of the Mountain Folk band invented Geocaching?

Is this True?

If so, I never knew that it was invented so close to my hometown.

Here's the link of the newspaper article: GPS search leads to fun

It was kind of neat reading a quote from my log entry in the - Hunt for the News Hound Cache - located in Port Clinton, PA

Peace!

iBrew

beerchug.gif

Click here to see my Completely Useless Webpage

quote:
Oh, Great Spirit, let us greet the dawn of a new day when all men live as brothers and peace reigns everywhere! "Indian Prayer"

From the article:

quote:
Although geocaching started in 2002, caches have already been hidden in 177 countries, most of which - 135 - have been added in the last eight months as word of the treasure hunts spreads.

Wow...I guess that means I AM an old timer!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

"Although geocaching started in 2002"

"But, this cache has only a "2" level of difficulty, as compared to the hardest rating, 5.5."

5.5?

Is there a new designer drug going around?

He invented geocaching like Al Gore invented the Internet. Make me laugh some more.

That has to be one of the most poorly researched and written articles about this sport to date!

The sport began in 2002? What was I doing the year before? Here is a very good history of the sport through the first usenet post that broached the idea, through Jeremy's starting the geocaching.com website.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on August 04, 2003 at 06:59 AM.]

1. Who is Stephanie Jewers?

I'm going to guess some lady from Nova Scotia. Who, unbeknownst to us before today, invented Geocaching.

2. Nice zombie thread resurrection.

Indeed one of the stranger ones I've seen.

3. Why does my post say Ringbone?

Because if it said Azcachemeister, we'd know it was you?

Freemasons were some of the first geocachers with cipher codes. :ph34r:

Actually, caching goes back to the Stone Age.

I became a cacher back in the 1980s when I hid a time capsule in a cave that is now an Earth Cache.

"Geocaching" though not for recreation was probably done by the armed forces before Clinton turned off selective availability giving way to Dave Ulmer's first historic and now monumented hide.

So the answer is Sparticus.

Sparticus invented geocaching!

Freemasons were some of the first geocachers with cipher codes. :ph34r:

I became a cacher back in the 1980s when I hid a time capsule in a cave that is now an Earth Cache.

I have more than one of those "guest books" placed in caves, and I know of others also. One is in a cave that is now a listed EC.

I also agree that caching goes back to the Stone Age. I have stumbled across "caches" of flint and other stone tools. We used to do some digs for artifacts. I'm still a surface hunter, and when the fields are plowed my children enjoy hunting for relics. :)