Do new units have better built-in antennas?

Guest Eli

I bought an eTrex a month or two ago, and have been VERY pleased with the results. I was a bit worried about not having an external antenna port for using it in my car, but it's been fine! I've also only had a problem outdoors once, when I was in a very narrow mountain pass.

I keep hearing people talk about trees and clouds giving their GPSs problems. It seems like they are usually using the "older" units.

Do the newer units have better antennas? or more sensitive receivers? or what?

Thanks for the info! I just read about GeoCaching somewhere yesterday, and have been checking it all out today. I'll be placing a stash tonight!

Guest Richard Amirault

Clouds are never a problem for anyone. Trees, however, can be. Anything that obstructs radio waves will lower your signal.

The earlier GPS units were eight channel units. They sequenced thru each channel one at a time. They worked, but now GPS units are 12 channel paralel (sp?) and will easily work in situations that gave the older units fits.

12 channel units have been around since I started geocaching in 2001. The real difference is that the newer receivers are much better. Garmin started it when they introduced the 60CXS and the GPS industry never looked back. The days of losing your signal under trees are long gone - as long as you have a newer unit.

Edited by briansnat

I know that Garmin donesn't publish their sencitivity level (in dBm), but other do, and I must say that they are rediculoulsy low. I have seen as low as -165dBm. Can you even immagin how much it would cost to purchase instrumentation capable of measuring that low of power? I am sure that Garmin's High Sencitivity GPSrs are at least -155dBm.

As for better antennas, I don't think so. If anything, while they are srinking them, they are getting worse.