My caching kryptonite

bthomas

If you don't like caches in certain places, then skip them. Nobody's forcing you.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 16, 2003 at 04:55 AM.]

Early on I was considering a micro on a playground. I thought better of it, though. I wouldn't want to look like a creepy adult lurking around a playground. And although people wouldn't have to hunt it if they were uncomfortable with that, I also didn't want to give actual creeps a legitimate reason to lurk around playgrounds.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Dinoprophet:

Early on I was considering a micro on a playground. I thought better of it, though. I wouldn't want to look like a creepy adult lurking around a playground. And although people wouldn't have to hunt it if they were uncomfortable with that, I also didn't want to give actual creeps a legitimate reason to lurk around playgrounds.

If I see a cache on a playground, I save it for the weekends (Sunday is best). I hate traffic, so multi-step caches are a real turnoff for me, I don't want to spend all day driving around the city chasing down one little micro, but I WILL spend all day out in the desert, climbing 3 hours for a full-sized top-of-the-mountain cache.

If I am going after a micro and find that it is at a playground that is in use, I'll just skip it and try again on another day (or never if I'm just passing through the area). Like Team360, I don't go far out of my way to go after one micro. If I'm in the area anyway or if there is a number of them in the same general area, I'll go for it.

I stopped to log a rest area cache while on a trip but then found that I would have to go through 200 feet of nettles to get there and I was wearing shorts and sandals. I suppose I could have went and changed clothes, but I was in a hurry, so I said forget it!

pokeanim3.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

I stopped to log a rest area cache while on a trip but then found that I would have to go through 200 feet of nettles to get there and I was wearing shorts and sandals. I suppose I could have went and changed clothes, but I was in a hurry, so I said forget it!

Have you started itching yet? Mmmmmm

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

If you don't like caches in certain places, then skip them. Nobody's forcing you.

This has to do with Kryptonite how? icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't say anything about liking, disliking, going for, not going for. It is implied that kryptonite is something that gives you problems. I was stating that I have a tough time finding caches in ivy. Get back back on topic and tell us what your caching kryptonite is. Everyone has a weakness... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

My personal kryptonite...when a cacher places as many caches as he/she can as fast as he/she can with little thought to detail. If you have the time and energy to place a zillion caches, find a little more time and energy to avoid places that are in the middle of garbage, or require climbing fences to retrieve the cache, (no matter how you approach it) or are in the middle of poison oak. (I know some PO is unavoidable, but placing one in the middle of a patch of it?)

Thank you. I feel better now. icon_smile.gif

Krystal

"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground."

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

There's an old saying "Nettles in Dock out...Dock rub Nettles out." Dock is another species that, conveniently, can be found growing close to patches of Nettles. Dock helps to relieve the sting of Nettles. Here's a link to some info, with links to pics etc.

Nettles and Dock

From what I understand, if cooked properly, nettles can be quite tasty. I've never tried it myself though.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

quote:
Originally posted by sbell111:

My caching kryptonite is when someone starts a thread in which the topic is not very clear...

True, there seems to be disagreement as to what the topic is here. Is it playground caches ("My Caching Kryptonite" = "bthomas' Caching Kryptonite" = "Playground Caches") or each person's own "kryptonite" ("My Caching Kryptonite" = "Your Caching Kryptonite").

And if the latter, are we talking about caches you don't like or caches you have trouble with? I'd agree with Marky that the caches that give you trouble are closer to kryptonite -- those things that defeat one's otherwise incredible caching abilities.

In which case, mine would be most terrain 5 caches. I don't scuba or rock climb or spelunk. Boats are okay.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

I guess my Kryptonite would be that I just plain don't like to look like some kinda weirdo. I went for my second attempt at a local interstate rest stop yesterday. Apparently the cache requires you to lay on your back and crawl under a structure to find the cache. With a ton of people around, walkin' their dogs and watchin' the weirdo...no thanks...

I'll save it for when my daughter's with me..make her do the crawlin' icon_wink.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Caching Kryptonite?

Any place that can potentially harbor rattle snakes!!!

It doesn't really stop me completly, because I bring along a stick to beat the stuffing out of every plant I come across which slows my hike to a crawl and annoys the heck out of anyone coming up from behind (I usually let them pass and let THEM run into the snake).

icon_smile.gif

I hate to say it, because I'm going to sound like the biggest wimp ever, but... steep hills. I've stopped and turned around twice because of them, the only times I've chickened out of a hunt. I pay attention to terrain ratings, but some people think a nice wide obvious path is easy terrain even when it's on a very steep grade. And it may be for some people. I can go up these paths, no problem, but I have trouble coming down again. Couple that with a weird phobia about falling, and overly steep paths (especially with nice slippery little pebbles on them) are like insurmountable walls to me.

Poison oak? I'm not allergic (yet). I will cautiously proceed in rattlesnake country (only met a real live rattler once so far). I will bravely sally forth against the playground micro, wade through prickly weeds, squeamishly send my stick after caches hidden under garbage (really! someone hid one under a discarded sweatshirt once!), but hills? I'm a baby about hills.

If you just want to know what I *dislike*, it's dadgum needle-in-a-haystack micros with no landmarks or clever hiding spots, the only remarkable feature of the area being the trash and/or nearby homeless camp. It seems like some people are so compelled to hide caches that they leave them absolutely anywhere.

For me, it depends on my caching purpose. If I am caching in my local area, I prefer well planned multis. I don't enjoy I don't enjoy micros as much as regular caches.

If I am on a road trip, I prefer micros and tend to avoid multis.

Of course, during the jungle heat we get around here I often will lean towards ones that keep me out of the air conditioning for the shortest period of time.

quote:
his has to do with Kryptonite how?

I didn't say anything about liking, disliking, going for, not going for. It is implied that kryptonite is something that gives you problems. I was stating that I have a tough time finding caches in ivy. Get back back on topic and tell us what your caching kryptonite is. Everyone has a weakness.

Ooops, when I read it, I thought it was a rant against playground caches.

I'd have to say my Kryptonite would include any multi cache with more than 4 stages, difficult puzzle caches and drive and dumps in garbage strewn lots.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

For me it would be bear doot.

Nothing will make me turn around like a big ol steaming pile of bear doot on the trail.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

I guess based on this log it would be bees. Rattlesnakes would probably apply as well. I don't mind bees and rattlesnakes on the way to the cache cause I can usually find a way around them. But if they are too close I'll give up and come back later.

As for playgrounds - they are a challenge for a middle aged man caching alone. Just let 'em know you're interested in the moms and not the children. frog.gif

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?

quote:
Originally posted by bthomas:

Mine is the kiddie playground or tot lot. Please stop putting caches in there! It's actually a personal safety issue. It may also be a national security matter. Plus these caches go MIA when kids eat them.

Im kinda new here, (42 finds and 2 installed) and both of my caches are in parks. (actually they are in the woods at a park) both caches are Kid friendly,(easy to get to, very very short hikes and they contain stuff for kids like hot wheels, squirt guns, dolls, (action figures) and the like. I chose this theme because kids toys make good trinkets to trade, and many geocachers have kids, and geocacheing is a good sport that can be enjoyed by the whole family. plus you can get brownie points telling the wife your taking the kids to the park (and you can log a find at the same time) if you want keep the youngsters interested in it you tell them "your going on a treasure hunt and there are toys"

The thought never crossed my mind that the rest of you guys are weirdos <G>

GOOD GRIEF! Now I know for sure-we're all weirdos! I'd hate for people to see me sometimes when I'm out crashing through the brush, tripping over sticks hidden in the tall grass, and skidding on logs and wiping out. I know those who don't geocache look at you really strange (for the most part) when you try to explain the sport. I guess I've never gave much thought to my own demise of WHERE I've looked for caches. I just kind of ration out the hard ones with the easier looking ones when I take off for the cay to go caching. Hmmmmmm....I wonder if I've been working too hard on these... naw, I'm a tough enough for most of them. Besides where I live hills and brambles are pretty much a way of life! Thanks for the laughs guys! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

Microcaches with high difficulty ratings placed by people who have never found a cache of any size with a high difficulty rating.

Could you give an example? I think I'd like to try one like that.

I thought I'd be able to just look at your not-found logs for this information, but you have no logs of any kind. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by tozainamboku:...

As for playgrounds - they are a challenge for a middle aged man caching alone. Just let 'em know you're interested in the moms and not the children.

Where do I get one of those 'I like moms' t-shirts? Never mind, the wife wouldn't understand. icon_biggrin.gif

Searching with bored people hanging around, watching every step you do. one thing when the folks are busy and on a mission, another story when they are just hanging around.

But then again, I get these nasty attacks of wanting to place a magnetic micro cache on Hamilton/Hwy17 in San Jose, CA, right in front of the Home Depot. This would have to be a 4 star, even if placed out of sight in the most logical place every geocacher would head for straight away. If you have ever driven past this place during the morning / noon hours, you know what I am talking about. FTF/FTL for the first correct answer, if anyone cares.

Totally off topic, I know.

Cheers!

... where is it?

quote:
Originally posted by nostrada:

But then again, I get these nasty attacks of wanting to place a magnetic micro cache on Hamilton/Hwy17 in San Jose, CA, right in front of the Home Depot. This would have to be a 4 star, even if placed out of sight in the most logical place every geocacher would head for straight away. If you have ever driven past this place during the morning / noon hours, you know what I am talking about. FTF/FTL for the first correct answer, if anyone cares.

Man, that place is a dayworker's hangout. I just drove by there last week. When did it get so bad?

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Caches that are located in areas where reception is poor.

As one struggles with the find, he may refer to the cache page. I just love it when the cache description tells me the owner had trouble getting good lock too. One cache I went on even said, "Good luck." Another gave a second set of coords in the hint. Then the owner stated that I should give up caching if I don't find it. FWIW, I didn't find it.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

My caching kryptonite must be pretty girls in bikinis. As proof I offer this:

On Tuesday, I went to the waterslide park in Albuquerque. I didn't find a single cache that day.

On Wednesday, I didn't go to the waterpark. I found 6 caches! (Well, 2 caches and 4 virtuals really, but I did scout some locations to put real caches in Santa Fe when I go back in 2 weeks)

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Man, that place is a dayworker's hangout. I just drove by there last week. When did it get so bad?

Congrats. Imagine rocking up there at peak time and start looking for a cache. FTF & LTF ;-)

I doubt that there are many dot.com workers there, but I could be wrong. Wouldn't they rather congregate in front of the cisco building?

... where is it?

quote:
Originally posted by kbrece:

My personal kryptonite...when a cacher places as many caches as he/she can as fast as he/she can with little thought to detail.

I have to agree with Kbrece... I know usually when someone first finds out about Geocaching the run out quickly as possible to place out 5-10 caches a week, most without much thought at all. We've had that happen three times in my area. But they usually catch on and start puting out really nice caches and archiving the unessarry ones.

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

I have to say, any multi step cache is a skip for me. Just don't like the time consumption.

I also have to DISagree with Bigredmed. I like Multis the best of all! I like well thought out process and the time it takes to complete the multi. I'm not all for just the Stop and Grab.

I am pretty new at GeoCaching, but I have placed a few caches, and going to place some more this weekend. My crew and I have spent a lot of time thinking of where we place and are going to place caches. I agree that everyone should find a few caches first, we had found about 20 before we placed our first caches, but I don't think someone has to have logged 100+ cache finds before they place their first cache. I have found caches placed by people that have litterally hundreds of logs that were not nearly as good as some placed by people with under 20 logged caches.

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page