What to do with a "not found" after a find

CamDawg

I failed to find a couple of caches a few weeks ago and I logged them as not found. Now I have been back and made the find. I went ahead and entered a new log as a find. Should I delete the not found or leave it there? I really don't mind having the sad faces on my list, they remind me of the challenge. What do you do?

Of course, another opinion isn't really necessary here, but I thought I'd chime in just because I think it's important.

CamDawg, please, please, please leave your not-founds. Not-founds are usually the most interesting stories. They provide a history of the cache as well as your own hunting adventures.

Thanks,

Jamie

I leave them, so long as the remarks I make in the "find" dont make my previous comment obsolete. I think its interesting to see the history from 1st attempt to last. Some are great...I hid a cache that had two very wordy "no finds" from the same user...after a few hints they were able to find it...makes a nice story, and with a happy ending!

quote:
Originally posted by cajitracks:

Even though it has been a couple of weeks, would it be too late to log??

Not at all. Just be sure you change the date on the log to the proper date. Also, if you didn't find a cache because you turned back (as I understood you to say) make sure that is clear in your log. You don't want folks thinking the cache might be missing just because you didn't want to climb up/down to it.

Best of luck.

Scott / Brokenwing

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by macro:

I hid a cache that had two very wordy "no finds" from the same user...after a few hints they were able to find it...

Macro... That sounded WAY too much like my own experience with trying to find a cache, so I tried to find this cache. Under your profile, only one cache comes up as hidden, and that doesn't seem to be the right one. Which cache?

Jamie

I entered a log when I failed to find a cache recently and apparently so did the person before me. I was quite discouraged and questioned if perhaps the cacne was gone. But later I went back and found it (having checked other hints) and said so on the next log. This encouraged and inspired the other person who failed to find the cache and they went back and they also found it. So the full story can be helpful. I have also noticed that when quite a few players in a row fail to find a cache the owner goes out to check it and sometimes it is in fact gone. So log away!