Tell the trolls what you think

I think they are the classic morons with very little to do in life, and an extremely lame and mean spirited sense of humor. Do these fools think they add to the site, or that anyone besides themselves even remotely enjoys the antics?

Hey clowns: do you like the hobby? Then knock this crap off! You are, without question, having a negative impact on allowing cachers a chance to communicate, share ideas, and help the sport to grow.

Hey cachers: Sick of their crap? Tell them......

boo2.jpg

Ahhhh......the moist nose of a German Wirehaired Pointer!

Trolls will generally run with their tails between their legs as soon as they are exposed. Part of their goal is not to be exposed - they fail when they are exposed and the last thing they want is to stick around and take the wrath of what they deserve. If you become quite certain that someone is a troll - let them know -either by private e-mail or on the forum. You can always apologize if it becomes evident that your suspicions were wrong.

You may not agree with what I say, but I will defend, to your death, my right to say it!(it's a Joke, OK!)

My sentiments exactly Senaca. We suredidn't agree on the last thread we participated in, but that pretty much mirrors my point. Their perception is that they are funny, that someone gets or appreciates their joke. When the truth is.....

boo2.jpg

Taken from The Jargon Dictionary:

quote:

troll v.,n. 1. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look

even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't

fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT. 2. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion.

Trolls are recognizable by the fact that the have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." 3. [berkeley] Computer lab monitor. A popular campus job for CS students. Duties include helping newbies and ensuring that lab policies are followed. Probably so-called because it involves lurking in dark cavelike corners.

Notice that there is really nothing in there about a regular forum user who creates other, fake accounts. (see "Sock Puppet")

There is also no mention there of regular forum users who happen to have a sense of humor that differs from your own

Illegitimus non carborundum!

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Taken from http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/t/troll.html:

There is also no mention there of regular forum users who happen to have a http://www.comedycentral.com/ that differs from your own

+ _Illegitimus non carborundum!_

And it also fails to address the fact that it is mean spirited crap at other peoples expense, with the intention of building up the troll's esteem or worth at anothers expense.

Yeah, I guess my sense of humor is different. I don't get my jollies making others feel stupid......

boo2.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Irvingdog:

And it _also_ fails to address the fact that it is mean spirited crap at other peoples expense, with the intention of building up the troll's esteem or worth at anothers expense.

Yeah, I guess my sense of humor is different. I don't get my jollies making others feel stupid......

I haven't really noticed any mean-spirited crap here. But anyway, I was just pointing out that it looks like from your posts in this thread, its regular forum posters you have problems with, not trolls.

A troll comes in, post something to get people pissed off, and sits back and laughs. Geobuddy was a TROLL.

Mitsuko was a SOCK PUPPET.

Majicman andEric O'Conner are real live geocachers, with more finds and hides then alot of the other people posting.

So, who is it you have a problem with?

Trolls?

Or fellow cachers who don't respond to forum posts in the way you think they should?

Just wondering.....

Illegitimus non carborundum!

I think whether you like them or not depends on your sense of humor. I wouldn't say that someone who finds them stupid is devoid of a sense of humor. It's just not their thing.

I personally have met the person behind Mitsuko (he wishes!). I think he had his fun and accomplished what he set out to do.

If you don't like them, ignore them. Giving them attention, negative or positive, is just what they want.

Becky

If you suspect someone as being a troll, then the best thing would be to ignore them. Its the same thing as being in a chat room when someone comes in to stir things up. The more you come back at them, the louder they get.

What i dont think we should do is yell out "Troll Alert" every time someone asks a question that we might find a little off. I just left a Thread and someone called that out. Could be that the person that started the the thread with the question is a troll, but what if they arent? If not, then we may have just run off another promising GeoCacher!

Irvingdog, liking the hobby and having a sense of humor are not mutually exclusive!

Your problem is obviously the lack of humor... you put down anyone who posts anything slightly amusing as a "troll" and demand that they 'respect'

the art of geocaching on this board.

Are you so devoid of anything resembling fun that you have to criticize everyone that does?

I recently put up a thread on this board regarding my appreciation of

another so called "troll"s postings. This was removed by the admins without so much

as an e-mail as to why? I stand by that previous thread and still appreciate the

postings of a certain Utah GeoCaching hero. Unfortunately he does not post anymore

probably due to attitudes such as yours.

These boards are for everyone - even the humorless like yourself. If you dont like a

thread its easy - dont read it and dont respond to it.

?

PS There is some classic irony in your "post", do you get it?

"A sex change on a man is not complete without the lobotomy". Oops, wait, I guess our sense of humor is "different". And "Seeker", I wasn't asking people to sit in trees waiting for litter bugs. Your opinion is different alright! Get a grip. And Mopar, these can be the greatest cachers in the world, but when Jeremy has to tell them to "cut the crap" and people say they have felt "taken in" and Embarassed" by them, well, guess what? It stops being good for the forums or in the spirit why they were set up. And did yo uperceive that I have a problem with Seneca over a forum debate? Not a chance, and I suspect he'd say the same thing.

boo2.jpg

Hmmm, I didn't realize that the GeoBuddy account was a troll until just now. I did send them an email telling them their choice of names coincided with my app and they may notice people referring to them. Never got a reply back and I just ignored them. Must be someone trying to yank my chain. Didn't work. I suppose if I lacked a sense of humour, I would take offense, demand an apology, and yell for the admins to remove the account.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

Originally posted by Mopar:

Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life

I am not sure but I think I am supposed to take offense to this comment. I think I am rather cute - after all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

A Troll, A lady and Duncan the Dog

I was about to logout when this thread started.

Having been DIRECTLY accused of being a "TROLL" by datum, Harrald, BrianSnat, and Irvingdog (love the pic), I had to see what type of horrible person I was.

So I read the definition first.

I liked Seneca's suggestion best - if you thought my posts put me in any of these categories, I would have appreciated your personal input and advice. Afterall, that's what I was looking for to begin with.

1. To utter a posting on [usenet] designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" ...

How can a newbie troll for newbies? How could I deliberately be trying to inflame an audience I'm only just beginning to learn about? I've spent countless hours reading these boards and looking at information on other websites to educate myself about geocaching so I can enjoy it responsibly and share both the fun and learning experience with my grade-school aged sons.

2. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion...

Annoying you was not my intent. I had an honest but admittedly naive question, and I was hoping for users' input to answer that question. I also contacted Eric, Jeremy & local cachers privately to get their opinions. My efforts to further explain my motive and intentions was to assure I was clearly understood, which it was obvious I was not by the posts: WhiteRabbit offered to trade me a deck of cards for my dining room set! I may be new, but I'm not THAT stupid.

Perhaps there are Trolls out there who get a kick out of messing with new folks like me, and I'm sure I'll fall victim because I'm so new.

I'm also quite lucky to have a group of VERY supportive cachers in my area who do not take offense to a newbie's lack of knowledge or reply to honest questions with snide remarks and derision. They helped me figure out how to accomplish my goal, and most plan to attend both the event and my personal ontaking.

I don't think I could be considered a Troll, and I don't think you should be so quick to label.

But that's just my MHO, right?

NEW TROLLS ON THE BLOCK

icon_razz.gif MyBoys&Me

Kuro5hin (aka K5) is a site whose content is typically rational discussion of social and political topics. I actually find a lot of informative material there. Similar to what the Groundspeak forums used to provide.

They are currently debating the nature and value of trolls. It makes an interesting read, if you can stand the slashdot-style of threading. Some argue that trolls play a valuable role in shaping thought on the Internet and some take a literalist view that trolls are evil and should be banned outright. Beware if you go there, though, they don't suffer fools gladly. Some of this discussion may take you into uncharted territory and you may find yourself becoming a Chomskyist (or not).

http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=displaystory;sid=2002/8/11/155658/046

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:
Originally posted by MyBoys&Me:

I don't think I could be considered a Troll, and I don't think you should be so quick to label.

I think the label came about when you asked everyones opinion on something, and then didn't like the answers you got, and then kept droning on about it.

Classic troll thread.

The thread itself is located within the Off Topic forum which cannot be viewd by non-premium member. For your benefit, here is the opening post:

A recent Geocaching forum thread that got shut down put a bee in my bonnet about this. I was really shocked by the number of cachers out there that tote along side-arms for no rational sportive purpose. Sorry but gotta get it out of my system.

Please remember the forum rule :

-- no personal attacks

and let's keep a measure of civility and courtesy within the discussion. Remember that logical arguments are always stronger than emotional responses.

Amendment II to the Constitution of the United States of America.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I'm not a constitutional scholar or expert, just an educated citizen. A couple of observations.

1) The amendment is a single sentence

2) A few key word/phrases

* "well regulated"

* "Militia"

* "security of a free State"

If I reparaphrase this amendment I might write it so :

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, for the purpose of keeping a well regulated Militia to insure the security of a free State."

First point : anyone who believes that the Second Amendment authorizes the unregulated use of firearms is incorrect in believing so.

Second point : anyone who believes the Second Amendment authorizes public use of firearms for anything other than the defense of either individual states or the nation as a whole seems to be leaping to this conclusion in a breathtaking manner.

Third point : Militia. If you go to the Army National Guard web site you will be informed that "The National Guard traces its history back to the earliest English colonies in North America. Responsible for their own defense, the colonists drew on English military tradition and organized their able-bodied male citizens into militias." The role of the militia as it was understood at the time of the writing of the Constitution has been subsequently subsumed by the Army National Guard.

Fourth point : People who carry a gun because they are concerned about being oppressed by the government are harboring treasonous thoughts. The Constitution does not support this behavior. The Constitution established institutions which support the orderly operation of government and keeping of the peace (to insure life, liberty[within boundaries], and the pursuit of happiness). Any actions or thoughts to bring harm to these institutions (including local and federal law enforcement, and other public agencies) in the execution of their Constitutionally prescribed duties [e.g. Oklahoma Federal Bldg] is tantamount to treason.

Therefore, if you are carrying a gun in the execution of your duties as a National Guardsman to insure state security, I will have no problem with you.

If you are not a National Guardsman, and not otherwise a professional Law Enforcement Officer, or otherwise required by your profession to carry a gun, and in any case you carry a gun outside of the execution of your professional duties, I have a big problem with you as a fellow cacher out there on the trail with your gun.

I come back now to my original argument in the previous thread.

Violence begets violence. As an American, I see this issue in terms of the fact that in America, the tendancy to resort to aggression including the use of a firearm to solve problems has become ingrained into our culture, while in other Industrialized nations, they have sought out other, less agressive solutions to these same problems, much to the tranquility of their populations.

Take for example the topic of snakes in the wild. How do we deal with them?

We can :

a: choose to take a gun to protect oneself from them, or

b: choose to keep our wits about us and take a snake bite kit for the very rare occasion we might get bitten.

Judging from the posts in the previous thread (which I must believe is 99.9% dominated by Americans) it seems the posters would choose the former. I believe from my experience that most citizens of other industrialized/developed nations would choose the latter. (This is of course only anectdotal - but please note my extensive International experience in my bio page before writing this off).

P.S. And there is no reason to believe that a position against side-arms and automatic weaponry is also a position against sportsmen who use rifles and other such sportive weaponry in a reasonable manner. The distinction is clear enough.

This recourse to aggression is self destructive and when gotten out of hand causes and will continue to cause catastrophic problems for our society.[Think of the numerous high school massacres occuring in our country]

Please cachers, think about disposing of your firearms if they are not needed in the legal execution of your profession, and for those of you who do really need them by all means think of less agressive solutions to problems you may encounter on the trail, rather than the discharge of a firearm.

Ouich!

Okay, a 2½ year old thread about trolls is bumped with an arguably troll-like post, and then a reference to a "classic troll thread" complete with full re-post referencing the 2nd Amendment and gun rights no less.

Now, how do I point out the irony of this without feeding the trolls? Is my post yet another troll post? Is me pointing out this may be a troll post make it more or less so?

Oh, the dilemma. Do I click the "Add Reply" button or just back up?

I guess if you are reading this you now know my decision.

Ouich!

Okay, a 2½ year old thread about trolls is bumped with an arguably troll-like post, and then a reference to a "classic troll thread" complete with full re-post referencing the 2nd Amendment and gun rights no less.

Now, how do I point out the irony of this without feeding the trolls? Is my post yet another troll post? Is me pointing out this may be a troll post make it more or less so?

Oh, the dilemma. Do I click the "Add Reply" button or just back up?

Good catch, CR. Catch-22 that is. The individual bumping here is trying hard, but oh well. I guess it comes from having a small ***** and not being able to afford a flashy car.

Ouich!

Now, how do I point out the irony of this without feeding the trolls?  Is my post yet another troll post?  Is me pointing out this may be a troll post make it more or less so?

Oh, the dilemma.  Do I click the "Add Reply" button or just back up?

Good catch, CR. Catch-22 that is. The individual bumping here is trying hard, but oh well. I guess it comes from having a small ***** and not being able to afford a flashy car.

Remember, no personal attacks in forums. That was a personal attack by the way. First warning.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
Ouich!

Now, how do I point out the irony of this without feeding the trolls?  Is my post yet another troll post?  Is me pointing out this may be a troll post make it more or less so?

Oh, the dilemma.  Do I click the "Add Reply" button or just back up?

Remeber, no personal attacks in forums. That was a personal attack by the way. First warning.

*yawn*

EDIT: I saved you the effort and reported myself.

Edited by New England n00b
That was a personal attack by the way. First warning.

Ah, the trollin just keeps on rollin...Unless there's been a change, or you're a moderator using a sock puppet account, I don't believe you have the authority to issue any sort of a warning.

The guideline you point out is correct, but what "warning" are you giving exactly??

I'm not sure, but I think the topic is "Tell the trolls what you think" and I think that trolls who use self-created authority are issuing bogus warnings.

*have another troll biscuit* the feeding just keeps going on...dang, I wish it wasn't so hot or I'd go caching!

I'm not sure, but I think the topic is "Tell the trolls what you think" and I think that trolls who use self-created authority are issuing bogus warnings.

*have another troll biscuit* the feeding just keeps going on...dang, I wish it wasn't so hot or I'd go caching!

What makes you feel that way?

It's raining here. I'd trade ya, but I wanna go see Star Wars today. It's always better to be in a theatre on a hot day. With ice cream.

Did I meantion I like ice cream?

*have another troll biscuit*  the feeding just keeps going on...dang, I wish it wasn't so hot or I'd go caching!

Generally higher than accustomed to temperatures, combined with lenghty exposure to the sun. Isn't it obvious?

*have another troll biscuit*  the feeding just keeps going on...dang, I wish it wasn't so hot or I'd go caching!

Generally higher than accustomed to temperatures, combined with lenghty exposure to the sun. Isn't it obvious?

So you feel otherwise when the temperature is more moderate? I'm trying to understand your point of view.

Edited by RakeInTheCache

So you feel otherwise when the temperature is more moderate. I'm trying to understand your point of view.

Is that a statement or a question?

Do they sometimes issue bogus warnings or do they issue bogus warnings all of the time? I'm trying to understand the logic here.

The subset of all Trolls which is the set of Trolls who use self-created authority, (always issue/sometimes issue) bogus warnings.

Edited by RakeInTheCache
No, I don't.

Speaking of which, I have more amusing things to do than continue observing your wonderfully insipid behaviour.  I wonder if you truly know how much you say about yourself.  I imagine you do.

They doesn't seem to be a response in keeping with the spirit of the forums. It seems like a very troll like thing to say. But if you choose to leave, we won't have that problem anymore.

By the way, has Geocaching.com come out with an official position on Trolls? Is it posted somewhere? Getting a clear definition, and communicating it in the forum rules might help to educate the newbies if this is indeed perceived by the site as a problem.

Edited by RakeInTheCache