Hunting NGS benchmarks

After doing the NGS Benchmark cache, I found that I quite enjoyed tracking down these markers as an alternative to geocaching, since there aren't many new caches in the area (except my own!).

I submitted a few recovery reports to NGS/NOAA to report that I found the benchmarks. Most of the markers in my area haven't been reported as recovered since 1990 or earlier.

My question to other benchmark hunters is...do you usually bother to report the recovery, or is this data just noise to the NGS folks since I'm not a surveyor or highway administration or other "official" organization?

I'll probably start keeping track of my finds on a web page along with photos. It will be good reading as a sleep aid for insomniacs. icon_smile.gif

I did one during my morning walk just because I could. Not sure if I would look for more then that. I would suggest using them as Newbie training aides.

As for reporting I don't think it would do anygood unless you worked for the organizations involved. I can't imaginge them being that worried about those things moving.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

The ones in my area haven't been reported since the 60's... I know for a fact that some of the sturctures mentioned are no longer there. It's going to be interesting to see if they're still there or not. I'm heading out the door in about 2 minutes.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

I do post my benchmark finds with the NGS if they have not been posted recently. This gives them information that the mark is still there, even if it has not been used for twenty years. If the benchmark has been logged within the past few years, then I figure I am not providing any new information.

My feeling is the reason they opened it up to citizen reporting in the first place is to make determining if these benchmarks still exist easier for everyone.

I've been hunting benchmarks for some time, although I haven't had the chance lately. Here's a few I've found

http://www.leonardsoffroad.com/ngs

I've found more but haven't update the page in awhile.

I've also communicated with folks at NOAA who said they used to recover (term for verifying location) these benchmarks on a regular basis, but funding (or lack thereof) prohibits this anymore. Thus, they rely on utility companies, road builders, etc. who use them for measuring from to recover and report them. With our equipment, we can't verify the horizontal or vertical locations are still accurate (and yes, they can and do move slightly, especially along coasts or near fault lines), but they appreciate when we report their existence or more importantly, lack of existence due to construction, vandalism, etc.

-

Yes, I've put in a report for each one that I've went after. Some had not been reported for years. Some had been destroyed since the last report, and one had even been replaced with a new daymarker. I described the new marker in my recovery as it had not been reported as replace. You bet; I'm certain this is of some benefit, especially these days with all the budget crunches.

2573_200.jpg

You should of received an e-mail of where to go to check out benchmarks from Jeremy (or however you spell it). I looked for three today. One would of been in the middle of a freeway, another was supposed to be{but was not)on the side of a hill and found the third quite easily (it was well marked).

nscaler

"Anyone not here, raise your hand!".

I have found around a dozen benchmarks and submitted reports for most of them. One was a railroad spike embeded in a bridge that had not been recovered since 1935. I found another one that was reported missing in the mid-80's, but was sitting in perfect condition right where it should be. All of my recovery reports are shown in their database.

rdw