Log Books and Containers

eagleflyby

Hello everyone.

1.) Why do people not use the back side of the pages in the log books, or just very rarely?

Seems like an awfull wast of paper to me. Is that a unwritten law or just something that no one really cares about?[icon_frown.gif]

2.) So many caches seem wet and the containers really crappy, there is mold and dirt in them. I can understand that not everybody wants to buy the ammo cans, sometimes they are just too big, however, I found that Rubbermaid makes really nice watertight containers where the sealing part of the box is a rubber like material, these boxes are available in all sorts of sizes and are pretty inexpensive, thy are clear and the rubber like seal is blue. (No I have no ties to Rubbermaid.) Just something to consider when going out shopping next time.

I am sure this must have been discussed at an earlyer point of the Geocaching history however I could not find anything on it.

So Long: Eagleflyby

I wonder the same things. I just figure that once the book gets filled up it will be turned over and started again. The containers, heh, doesn't allways matter the type of container if the cache owner doesn't maintain their cache.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

1.) Why do people not use the back side of the pages in the log books, or just very rarely?

>>>>i think it just depends on the signer ive seen some where ppl squeezed 2or3 entries on one page.

Is that a unwritten law or just something that no one really cares about?

>>>>>>>>yea ill go with that, im actually glad that each new finder used a new page, its easier to gage when a log book will fill up, how many have been there, and i think it also gives the book a "clean" look to it, without every trying to jamb there sig onto a few pages.

2.) So many caches seem wet and the containers really crappy, there is mold and dirt in them.

>>>>>>>>>welcome to geocaching. icon_razz.gif if it really bothers you, wear gloves and just sign the log. if its just annoying then carry ziplocks with you and something dry to clean the caches out.

I can understand that not everybody wants to buy the ammo cans, sometimes they are just too big, however, I found that Rubbermaid makes really nice watertight containers where the sealing part of the box is a rubber like material, these boxes are available in all sorts of sizes and are pretty inexpensive, thy are clear and the rubber like seal is blue. (No I have no ties to Rubbermaid.) Just something to consider when going out shopping next time.

>>>>> lots of ppl have said that, but some ppl dont read the forums, dont care, dont believe it, dont have money/time/will to change it, placed the cache with good intentions then lost interest, etc, etc ,etc, there are lots of reason container that are known to fail(read gladware) are still being used.

I am sure this must have been discussed at an earlyer point of the Geocaching history however I could not find anything on it.

>>>>>>>>yes and no, you just have to run searchs till you hit the right stuff icon_wink.gif

whack.gif

I tend to follow whatever the established trend is.

So, if people have been using both sides of the pages, I'll use both sides. If not, I'll continue the trend and use only the front side of a page for my log entry.

Assuming that makes any sense. I fell down while caching today and my brain is broken icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

I tend to follow whatever the established trend is.

That's generally how I work too...but I'd love to feel the need to use both sides...around here it takes so long to get some logs in the book I can imagine it's going to take a couple of years to fill most of them up. I've given up on the cache cameras for that reason... weathertight or not even in an ammo can a camera takes abuse out there for over a year...or maybe I'm just too impatient...I dunno ;-) But I'll think about that more now and try to use the other side too... with optimistic hopes icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Ttepee on October 26, 2002 at 09:21 PM.]

From what I've seen, people get to the end of the log book, then flip it over and start on the other side.

I'm also not crazy about finding a soaked and mildewed caches. I've noticed about 90 percent of these are in Gladware. The stuff stinks. The lids don't seal well and the containers warp after a relatively short period.

You're right about the Rubbermaid containers with the soft plastic blue rim. I used them before I discovered ammo boxes and they seal quite well. But unless you can buy one on sale, they cost about as much as an ammo box and ammo boxes are far better. I've heard of some people using them for underwater caches. Now that's watertight!

As you mentioned, there are issues with size. The .50 cal boxes are quite large. I use the .30 cal boxes when I need something smaller. If I have to go even smaller, then I use the plastic Army

D-Con boxes. They aren't totally waterproff, but it tales a lot to get water in them.

I bet people who sign the logbook on both sides are people who use regular notebooks in such a manner. And the reverse - I sign only one side, because that's how I use a notebook.

Anyways. My first hide went underwater recently, and everthing was soaked. I stood on the logbook to squeeze it out, and then stuck it in the oven. Since people only signed on one side, the pages didn't bleed too badly, and the logs are still readable.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:
Originally posted by eagleflyby:

Hello everyone.

Seems like an awfull wast of paper to me. Is that a unwritten law or just something that no one really cares about?[icon_frown.gif]

I guess its personal preferance. But I can also think of a good reason. If a cache becomes damp any pages writtin on both sides will bleed and become very hard to read. I have seen this a number of times.

quote:

2.) So many caches seem wet and the containers really crappy, there is mold and dirt in them.

For a Sport/Game only 2 years old or so, there will still be a lot of feeling out on what works and what dosen't. It will all settle out over time.

66427_2400.gif

However, it is just the last year that I have been Geocaching. Since retiring from the Army and getting a much better paying job, I can afford ammo boxes. BUT...That isn't to say they are that expensive either. My primary hobby is competitive shooting. I reload. I have found that when at a gun show, the local fellow selling ammo cans wants less and less to pack them all up at the end of the show. So about 1 hour before the end of the show I offer him $25 (about 1/2 his price) for 10 of them. At that price, the stronger construction far outweighs the few pennys saved by going with plastic. He doesn't need to load them up, and I get a deal. Also, plastic doesn't do well in the desert. Sunlight, and wind + Sand will eat up plastic fast!

Yes, there is a place for plastic! Unfortunately, ammo cans will not fit everywhere. Too bad. icon_biggrin.gif

BTW... I was at the PX last night. Those of you who have access to military facilities can get the military write-in-the-rain notebooks at the clothing sales store. They have lots of map reading and navigation information on the plastic covers, and are built quite well. The only difference I see is: A: They are 33% cheaper. B: They are O-D Green, not yellow. The advantages are: A. They are 33% cheaper. B: They are available at the store, not mail order.

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

The printer should be done with the first batch of Microcache Logbooks early this week. Unfortunately, we managed to overestimate the capabilities of his binding equipment so the first batch will be glued and stitched instead of having the paperback book binding like we thought we could do. We have to bang our heads together for a slight redesign on the next batch to use that binding.

They should still cost around $1.50 each, though. They'll have 35 pages of 32# Rite in the Rain paper bound in a heavy printed cover in a size perfect for Altoids tins.

My prototypes in Pueblo Micro #1 and #2 in Las Vegas got a lot of positive feedback, so I figured other cachers might be interested in them as well.

I'll make a new post for them when they're ready...and no, I'm not making a killing on them so I'm not just trying to make a fast buck off of the GeoCommunity like the bucket guy! Anyone who's ever tried to get a small amount of items printed knows what the pricing is like on small runs! I just saw a need when planning my first microcaches and wished I could buy something ready made for the purpose.

Most of the time I use the next page because it's just too hard to write on the back side of the previous page, unless it's a spiral bound notebook. Some caches I've been to have a pad of 'tear off' pages like the note pad we leave by the phone, and the pages start to fall off. This turns into a messy ordeal of finding the last login so we can login in sequence. I like to read the previous logins for the 'entertainment' value but if they're falling apart it just adds to the problem. icon_rolleyes.gif

Um, honey, did you mark a waypoint for the car?

Thank you everybody for the input.

I appreciate it. I guess all together it is everyones own decision on what to do here.

All in all I can only say that this is e rally cool forum because there seems to be sooo little senseless arguing. Mostly everyone in here seems to me at lest to be very thoughtfull.

The Cache in / Trash out events are one of the best examples for it.

Thanks again......

So Long [;)] Eagleflyby

Ok I understand your general question but I have to reply with my experience:

I my experience, no matter how bombproof you make your cache box it will become wet inside. Either from careless cache seekers not replacing the lid properly (and this is a lot of it), from moist humid air becoming trapped inside or rain getting inside as an eager cache seeker lays out all the booty to see what they can take back with them and how they can fit in the prize they brought with them.Occasionally an animal gets into the cache box and messes everything up too, but this is only with the plastic boxes.

Kyle