Hiding a cache while on vacation?

pook

quote:

WE DO KNOW ABOUT RULES, MAG, OBVIOUSLY. WOULD YOU LIKE THE DATE WE POSTED THIS OR CAN YOU MANAGE TO FIND THE DATE ON YOUR OWN. WE DO THINK OF THESE THINGS, INCLUDING THE ENVIRONMENT!

I'd like to know how you handled the permission-getting part of placing these caches. My last two caches took over a week each to find the correct person at each park, explain, wait for manager approval, etc. I'd hate to have to do this from a motel room, quest room, or tent.

How did you manage it?

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

The cache in Pueblo West was amongst other caches in the area, mainly by Scott and Gina as well as The Thieves in the Knight. They both have found ours and had no problem us being "in their back yard"! Authorities told us as long as the hours of operation for the park were observed, there was no problem.

As far as the Indiana cache; it was placed at a Rest Area in an area that is not maintained by the state; woods if you will. I did a little research and there are many rest area caches in the United States and they make wonderful "easy find" caches that are great for the geotravelers! icon_wink.gif

If you had to go through all of that just to place two caches, then you should reconsider where you are planning to hide them. Town parks are a great place in our area. A list of rules are available for our information at all town community centers.

Does that answer your question?

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

The cache in Pueblo West was amongst other caches in the area, mainly by Scott and Gina as well as The Thieves in the Knight. They both have found ours and had no problem us being "in their back yard"! Authorities told us as long as the hours of operation for the park were observed, there was no problem.

As far as the Indiana cache; it was placed at a Rest Area in an area that is not maintained by the state; woods if you will. I did a little research and there are many rest area caches in the United States and they make wonderful "easy find" caches that are great for the geotravelers! icon_wink.gif

If you had to go through all of that just to place two caches, then you should reconsider where you are planning to hide them. Town parks are a great place in our area. A list of rules are available for our information at all town community centers.

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

Yes. You are fortunate in that the town already understands geocaching. In my cases, there are few caches in town and no caches had ever been placed at either park. Much of my work was spent explaining geocaching (No, this isn't a one-time game; yes, I do know it might be stolen, et al.)

One park's management was thrilled to have a new use for their park; they wanted to see how caches was made and hidden and they asked for an article for the park's newsletter. The other, once they understood the nature of the game, just wanted confirmation that I wasn't littering or placing something that would damage their mowers.

wcgreen

--

Wendy Chatley Green

wcgreen@eudoramail.com

As somewhat of a newbie, here's my take on vacation caches.

If there's already plenty in the area, then why bother? Is it really important that some place like Orlando has 57 caches instead of 56, if you're not going to be able to come back and check on your cache? If you come back to the area frequently, or you can get a local IN ADVANCE to agree to monitor your cache, then I say go for it. But if not, then don't.

On the other hand, if there's a dearth of caches in the area, maybe it would be a good idea to plant one and perhaps get the geocaching 'bug' started there. I think this especially applies to foreign countries where there may be few or no existing caches. For instance, I'm planning a trip to Asia, and I'm already salivating about going after this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13096

I mean, how cool would it be to go geocaching in a place like Bangladesh? But if you look at the owner's profile, he/she's placed caches everywhere from Sweden to China to Australia. There's no possible way they could be maintaining them all.

So should they still have been placed? In my opinion, YES! The one linked above is still the only cache in the country, and number of their others have 1 or 0 nearby caches within a 100-mile radius.

If people are going to go after these caches, then clearly they're pretty dedicated. So I don't think it would be out of line for the owner of a cache like this to post a note asking people who find them to do any necessary maintenance, or perhaps even replace them if they've gone missing. In my opinion there's a BIG difference between vacation caches like these and vacation caches in tourist spots where there's already plenty of caches placed by the locals.

quote:

quote:
Hmmm. I wonder if this is more about "turf"? Like you stay out of my backyard and I'll stay out of yours. That's MY park you're sticking that cache in and it "belongs" to me.

Oh really? I think you are right! Anyone feeling like the quote above? Too bad. It is NOT your park or land that it's going on.

This has got to be what everyone is upset about. While on vacation, we DID GO GEOCACHING, DUH!!! How could you possibly think that we went all that way and didn't find any caches? We introduced geocaching to several new members, one of which will be maintaining the cache in Pueblo West. We are not expecting anyone to "babysit" our cache in Indiana either.

quote:
In short, don't be rude. Hunt caches while on vacation. Place caches close to home.

Excuse me, but we will hide our caches where ever we want; as long as it's not on private property. I can tell you one thing....

Indiana and Colorado are now familiar with UPINYACHIT!

Travel bugs have already been and left the Stop N Rest Cache. Hmmmm, think they just stopped and rested before going on their way?? He he! icon_biggrin.gif

If there were any problems with our caches, there are plenty of kind hearted geocachers out there that would check on it for us. How do you know we won't check on it ourselves? We like to drive! LOL We don't expect ANYONE to feel like they have to "babysit" our caches. I would if someone asked us; what's the big deal anyways?

icon_rolleyes.gif

Look out! We are already planning where to go next! He he! icon_wink.gif

Candie from

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are!

Too bad you have such a bad-arsed attitude. Geesh! It is just a game! Am I mad that you placed a cache down the road from me? No! Will I visit it? Maybe, it is a cache after all? Will I maintain it for you? No way! You get your scrawny little bum back out here and do it yourself. As someone else pointed out, there is a rule about maintaining your caches.

My wife and I have traveled the world (or are in the process of doing so, slowly). Anyway, I love the fact that a local resident of an area can show me things that the normal tourist will never see. What vacation cachers tend to leave is that same thing that other vacationers see or visit. So, unless you take the time to research the area and have something unique to bring me to, please, just keep your tinkets to yourself or trade them in caches that you find. Let your feet go where the caches are. icon_cool.gif

Thank you,

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

Geocachers don't NEED to ask for directions!

quote:

quote:
Hmmm. I wonder if this is more about "turf"? Like you stay out of my backyard and I'll stay out of yours. That's MY park you're sticking that cache in and it "belongs" to me.

Oh really? I think you are right! Anyone feeling like the quote above? Too bad. It is NOT your park or land that it's going on.

This has got to be what everyone is upset about. While on vacation, we DID GO GEOCACHING, DUH!!! How could you possibly think that we went all that way and didn't find any caches? We introduced geocaching to several new members, one of which will be maintaining the cache in Pueblo West. We are not expecting anyone to "babysit" our cache in Indiana either.

quote:
In short, don't be rude. Hunt caches while on vacation. Place caches close to home.

Excuse me, but we will hide our caches where ever we want; as long as it's not on private property. I can tell you one thing....

Indiana and Colorado are now familiar with UPINYACHIT!

Travel bugs have already been and left the Stop N Rest Cache. Hmmmm, think they just stopped and rested before going on their way?? He he! icon_biggrin.gif

If there were any problems with our caches, there are plenty of kind hearted geocachers out there that would check on it for us. How do you know we won't check on it ourselves? We like to drive! LOL We don't expect ANYONE to feel like they have to "babysit" our caches. I would if someone asked us; what's the big deal anyways?

icon_rolleyes.gif

Look out! We are already planning where to go next! He he! icon_wink.gif

Candie from

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Too bad you have such a bad-arsed attitude. Geesh! It is just a game! Am I mad that you placed a cache down the road from me? No! Will I visit it? Maybe, it is a cache after all? Will I maintain it for you? No way! You get your scrawny little bum back out here and do it yourself. As someone else pointed out, there is a rule about maintaining your caches.

My wife and I have traveled the world (or are in the process of doing so, slowly). Anyway, I love the fact that a local resident of an area can show me things that the normal tourist will never see. What vacation cachers tend to leave is that same thing that other vacationers see or visit. So, unless you take the time to research the area and have something unique to bring me to, please, just keep your tinkets to yourself or trade them in caches that you find. Let your feet go where the caches are. icon_cool.gif

Thank you,

Bear & Ting

I thought I was a little off, then I looked at my GPS and discovered I accurate to 12 ft.

quote:

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

...a few things. First, I've lived in Colorado Springs and have been back many times, your attitude is not what I would have suspected from that area, you must have been living in NY too long. icon_wink.gif

Secondly, the Rest Areas along the US Interstate system are maintained by the state. The wooded areas are just as much a part of the Rest Area, even though they may look unmaintained. The state is responsible, like any other property owner is, for what happens on their property. Therefore, you still should have gotten permission. "What?!", you may be thinking, "Other people have hidden caches in Rest Areas, so why can't I?" I am not saying that you cannot, but you might want to think about some of the activities that may be going on at these places. This is a family game/sport. I know I have read news articles about various illegal activities (drugs and such) happening in the "unmaintained" areas of Rest Stops. Enuff said on that.

Lastly, town parks have park boards (which my father was a member of years before there was geocaching). Organized games, which geocaching is considered, is not permitted in most of the parks without written permission. Why? Blame the lawyers, or the fools who get hurt and sue the park for their own stupidity. I placed the Bear's Woodland Treasures with full permission from the park board of this small (backwards) Indiana town with the understanding that I would maintain it, remove it (if asked), and promote the game by getting other cache owners to ask permission. This last request was asked by the park manager who manages this park and is also a conservation officer. He has found/removed caches without knowing what they were when they were found in nature preserves without permission. He understands the game much better now and he is willing to work with us. However, you coming through and not knowing this, dropping a cache where ever the urge hits you (good trinkets or not), and then leaving does not suit his tastes.

Enuff said.

Bear & Ting

quote:

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

...a few things. First, I've lived in Colorado Springs and have been back many times, your attitude is not what I would have suspected from that area, you must have been living in NY too long. icon_wink.gif

Secondly, the Rest Areas along the US Interstate system are maintained by the state. The wooded areas are just as much a part of the Rest Area, even though they may look unmaintained. The state is responsible, like any other property owner is, for what happens on their property. Therefore, you still should have gotten permission. "What?!", you may be thinking, "Other people have hidden caches in Rest Areas, so why can't I?" I am not saying that you cannot, but you might want to think about some of the activities that may be going on at these places. This is a family game/sport. I know I have read news articles about various illegal activities (drugs and such) happening in the "unmaintained" areas of Rest Stops. Enuff said on that.

Lastly, town parks have park boards (which my father was a member of years before there was geocaching). Organized games, which geocaching is considered, is not permitted in most of the parks without written permission. Why? Blame the lawyers, or the fools who get hurt and sue the park for their own stupidity. I placed the Bear's Woodland Treasures with full permission from the park board of this small (backwards) Indiana town with the understanding that I would maintain it, remove it (if asked), and promote the game by getting other cache owners to ask permission. This last request was asked by the park manager who manages this park and is also a conservation officer. He has found/removed caches without knowing what they were when they were found in nature preserves without permission. He understands the game much better now and he is willing to work with us. However, you coming through and not knowing this, dropping a cache where ever the urge hits you (good trinkets or not), and then leaving does not suit his tastes.

Enuff said.

Bear & Ting

Example...

Quotes from Bear and Ting!! icon_confused.gif

quote:
First, I've lived in Colorado Springs and have been back many times, your attitude is not what I would have suspected from that area, you must have been living in NY too long.

BEAR and TING; Did you think before typing such nonsense?????????????? What the #$%^ does living in N.Y. have to do with the topic?

quote:

"YOU GET YOUR SCRAWNY LITTLE BUM BACK OUT HERE AND DO IT YOURSELF"

Are you guys normal members of society? Or are you mad at the WORLD. We can understand not agreeing with the TOPIC! What we don't agree on is calling us and our four kids SCRAWNY LITTLE BUMS. We don't need you to watch our cache. If you read the forums before posting such rubbish, you would know this. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
What vacation cachers tend to leave is that same thing that other vacationers see or visit. So, unless you take the time to research the area and have something unique to bring me to, please, just keep your tinkets to yourself or trade them in caches that you find. Let your feet go where the caches are

"UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING UNIQUE TO BRING ME"

Well, you could've retrieved a travel bug, a hitch hiker, or even a winning lottery ticket from Indiana. That's not all, either. icon_cool.gif

quote:
my stomach is still churning after eating a sack of 10 White Castle hamburgers.

Maybe next time we will include a white castle burger!! LOL How does that sound? icon_biggrin.gif

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Example...

Quotes from Bear and Ting!! icon_confused.gif

quote:
First, I've lived in Colorado Springs and have been back many times, your attitude is not what I would have suspected from that area, you must have been living in NY too long.

BEAR and TING; Did you think before typing such nonsense?????????????? What the #$%^ does living in N.Y. have to do with the topic?

quote:

"YOU GET YOUR SCRAWNY LITTLE BUM BACK OUT HERE AND DO IT YOURSELF"

Are you guys normal members of society? Or are you mad at the WORLD. We can understand not agreeing with the TOPIC! What we don't agree on is calling us and our four kids SCRAWNY LITTLE BUMS. We don't need you to watch our cache. If you read the forums before posting such rubbish, you would know this. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
What vacation cachers tend to leave is that same thing that other vacationers see or visit. So, unless you take the time to research the area and have something unique to bring me to, please, just keep your tinkets to yourself or trade them in caches that you find. Let your feet go where the caches are

"UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMETHING UNIQUE TO BRING ME"

Well, you could've retrieved a travel bug, a hitch hiker, or even a winning lottery ticket from Indiana. That's not all, either. icon_cool.gif

quote:
my stomach is still churning after eating a sack of 10 White Castle hamburgers.

Maybe next time we will include a white castle burger!! LOL How does that sound? icon_biggrin.gif

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Upinyachit,

This thing's gone a little off topic for me, but I'd just say that I think your interpretation of Bear and Ting's posts might be a little off.

They seem to be using British English words in there - arse and bum. (Good job my mother can't read this icon_wink.gif).

"Too bad you have such a bad-arsed (US=assed) attitude"

"You get your scrawny little bum (US=***) back out here and do it yourself"

So I would translate the latter comment as only meaning for you to get your *** back out there, rather than a slur on your family.

IMHO

Still, I'd rather have someone comment on what to do with existing vacation caches.

Upinyachit,

This thing's gone a little off topic for me, but I'd just say that I think your interpretation of Bear and Ting's posts might be a little off.

They seem to be using British English words in there - arse and bum. (Good job my mother can't read this icon_wink.gif).

"Too bad you have such a bad-arsed (US=assed) attitude"

"You get your scrawny little bum (US=***) back out here and do it yourself"

So I would translate the latter comment as only meaning for you to get your *** back out there, rather than a slur on your family.

IMHO

Still, I'd rather have someone comment on what to do with existing vacation caches.

When I posted the above reply, the system replaced what I actually typed with ***.

So in response to the other thread on censorship, yes it does seem to exist.

But now this calls into question my theory about British English - maybe Bear & Ting were using the British to bypass the censorship filter?

Anyway it's still bum/***.

quote:

Negative VS Positive, give me a break upinyachit. What about the statments you made like these.

quote:
I couldn't help but post here and after looking at ALL of your posts, I've come to the conclusion that you rarely have anything nice to say to anyone. Oh, that's right, I forgot! You were born in Jersey; that explains everything! LOLOLOL Geez, you don't have to call other members names like that!

quote:
I don't know you, MAG, and I'm not sure I'd want to know someone as negative as you, but I would guess you have conflicts with somebody everyday. Try having a positive attitude, you will find out that life is more enjoyable. So is geocaching! What did YOU do before geocaching, I wonder!

I think this issue is dead and over with, just let it go. You have proved your point so just stop picking at scab. OK?

quote:
Originally posted by crr003:

When I posted the above reply, the system replaced what I actually typed with ***.

So in response to the other thread on censorship, yes it does seem to exist.

But now this calls into question my theory about British English - maybe Bear & Ting were using the British to bypass the censorship filter?

Anyway it's still bum/***.

...there was a censor in the forums, but I am not suprised and I do welcome it. I was not trying to get around it, but at the time was trying to make the point that some things look differenet from another perspective. It looks like I did jolly good.

It is funny, but Sir Beavis did hit it on the head. My first response was half-cocked as I had not read the complete forum thread and others had already explained some of the points I was trying to make. However, my second post did take most of the thread into consideration and I noticed that they did not dispute any of it.

quote:
Are you guys normal members of society? Or are you mad at the WORLD. We can understand not agreeing with the TOPIC! What we don't agree on is calling us and our four kids SCRAWNY LITTLE BUMS. We don't need you to watch our cache. If you read the forums before posting such rubbish, you would know this.

I apologize for the misinterpretation of my english, I was not calling your family "bums", but was referring to your back-side and getting it back out here to the hoosier state to do cache maintenance (when needed). There is nothing I hate seeing more than an abandoned or unmaintained cache, filled with water and a soaked log-book. I have adopted one cache (due to the cache owners moving). I have asked that another be archived/removed for the reason that no one has maintained it and the owner has not logged into the site since march.

As for your cache in Indiana, do you place contact information on your stash note? If the land manager did find it and have questions, would they be able to contact you?

Bear & Ting

I agree with the previous post about abandoned caches. This afternoon, I stopped by to clean up what previous logs had said was an abandoned cache, and it probably was, though the placer was local, or at least was in 2001 when the cache was placed. The cache was waterlogged, and nothing except a gladware sandwich box with some paper mush and some plastic some-thing-or-others remained. Reading previous logs, I avoided the cache, but was within in 15 miles and decided to go in to collect the debris with the intent to request an archive. It was a good site, with wooded hiking trails, a Nature Conservancy Historical site, and a good placement. But unfortunately, it was abandoned, as the emails to the placer from previous cachers can attest to. I cleaned it up, and will check it this winter, and possibly adopt it, because it has what a good cache should have -- a spot with more than a box in the woods -- but it is over 60 (road, not geo) miles away from home in a direction I don't often travel. There aren't that many caches on the mid- and lower- Eastern Shore of Md that one should turn into geotrashing. How many, no matter how good their hearts may be, placers on vacation leave a cache with no intention of maintaining it? If the placer of a cache has moved, in or out of this realm, one of us could maintain a cache for him, but what about those, like this one, where there is no response, no attempts to maintain?

I will place but a few caches, but I will guarantee all that they will be maintained, resupplied when the have been traded down to mctrash, and that the cachers who come to them will experience a great view, an interesting placement, and/or a quality cache. I can't do that from 1000 miles, or even 200 miles away, unless I can be there at least every six months. How many cachers, pseudo-local or on vacation, plant a cache, and then never, ever return to it? Planting a multitude of caches that are destined to a lifespan of less than mediocrity is tantamount to littering some of the beautiful places most of us are seeking in our geoquests. It's all about taking responsibility for what we create.

"All of us are standing in the mud, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

Seems to me that you are picking at my "scab", buddy. I wasn't going to reply to YOUR NONSENSE because I didn't feel it was worth it. But then I noticed that you have been following me on my posts; none of which are negative. I was simply defending me and my family from the negativity that others made to my views on vacation caches. If you interpret our quotes as negative, then that's your problem. icon_rolleyes.gif

Before you posted MY QUOTES, why not quote yourself? After all, it was a comment you made that gave me the conclusion that you don't have anything nice to say to us.

I will be posting in general discussion, if you wish to follow me there, too. icon_razz.gif

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Seems to me that you are picking at my "scab", buddy. I wasn't going to reply to YOUR NONSENSE because I didn't feel it was worth it. But then I noticed that you have been following me on my posts; none of which are negative. I was simply defending me and my family from the negativity that others made to my views on vacation caches. If you interpret our quotes as negative, then that's your problem. icon_rolleyes.gif

Before you posted MY QUOTES, why not quote yourself? After all, it was a comment you made that gave me the conclusion that you don't have anything nice to say to us.

I will be posting in general discussion, if you wish to follow me there, too. icon_razz.gif

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Really, and which quote would that be. I have yet to insinuate that anything is wrong with your personality or your geographic location based on anything you have posted. The only thing I have done is a disagree with your train of thought.

The parks where you live have guidleines for geocahcing, just how do you think that happened? Do you think that maybe not everyone involved with that decision still approves of Geocaching. Imagine what would happen if someone on vacation left a cache that violated these guidelines. The wrong type of cache container or the cache has not been approved. Then Geocaching was cancelled every in every park where you live. All it would take is one e-mail for a government offical to Jeremy to have remove all caches from the web site and not allow anymore to be posted. All of this because someone from out of town was unaware.

If you think this can't happen guess again many parks and land management districts are allowing geocaching provided we meet some basic guidlelines of their own. Take a lok at the "County has Spoken" post and tell it can't happen. By placing caches on vacation you run the risk of ruining geocaching for everyone who lives in that area. It does not matter what the members who use this website think of your caches. It will matter what the people who manage public land think, as they have the authority to regulate it. Even the woods in the rest stops you like to use.

Frankly I find it hard to believe that anyplace you may visit is so bereft of caches that you would have to place more.

quote:
The only thing I have done is a disagree with your train of thought.

Ok explain this then...

Previous quotes from Mag...

quote:
Geocachers look bad this type of irresponsible beahviour.

quote:
As far as the rest of their posts they are a mass of contradictions.

There is also a post from you in another topic,

( 4 by 4 cache container) in which you didn't even comment on the topic; you just had a comment to us. Email me next time if you have something to discuss, ok?

We have no problem with a member disagreeing with our OPINION. icon_eek.gif What we do have a problem with is members stretching the truth or just plain exaggerating. icon_mad.gif

quote:
Even the woods in the rest stops you like to use.

Streeeeech!

"Rest stops" in your quote above is plural, that means more than one. In our opinion, you are making it seem like we have caches hidden in rest stops all over the U.S.A.! This is simply not true. Upinyachit has a total of nine caches listed on both sites. Seven of them are hidden in our beautiful hometown ROCHESTER, NEW YORK. None of those are hidden at a REST STOP.

Another cache we hid is in Pueblo, Colorado at a place called Liberty Point.

icon_wink.gif

I am done with this; I have repeated myself over and over, but you refuse to accept the fact that I did nothing wrong.

Oh well. icon_rolleyes.gif

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

quote:
The only thing I have done is a disagree with your train of thought.

Ok explain this then...

Previous quotes from Mag...

quote:
Geocachers look bad this type of irresponsible beahviour.

quote:
As far as the rest of their posts they are a mass of contradictions.

There is also a post from you in another topic,

( 4 by 4 cache container) in which you didn't even comment on the topic; you just had a comment to us. Email me next time if you have something to discuss, ok?

We have no problem with a member disagreeing with our OPINION. icon_eek.gif What we do have a problem with is members stretching the truth or just plain exaggerating. icon_mad.gif

quote:
Even the woods in the rest stops you like to use.

Streeeeech!

"Rest stops" in your quote above is plural, that means more than one. In our opinion, you are making it seem like we have caches hidden in rest stops all over the U.S.A.! This is simply not true. Upinyachit has a total of nine caches listed on both sites. Seven of them are hidden in our beautiful hometown ROCHESTER, NEW YORK. None of those are hidden at a REST STOP.

Another cache we hid is in Pueblo, Colorado at a place called Liberty Point.

icon_wink.gif

I am done with this; I have repeated myself over and over, but you refuse to accept the fact that I did nothing wrong.

Oh well. icon_rolleyes.gif

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif