Hiding a cache while on vacation?

pook

I read the guidelines for hiding a cache and one of the things it stated was that you should go back now and again and check up on it, to be sure it's still in tact, well hidden, etc. I'm new to this, but my girlfriend and I have discussed leaving a cache at a rest stop on our way to our vacation destination, and another near the resort where we're staying.

Should we stick with leaving only local caches?

ND&LK and Magellan are right. If someone reports it missing, it's up to you to go check on it. Of course, you could archive it immediately if there's a hint that it's not there, but that's no fun. Half of the enjoyment I get out of placing caches is reading the logs and seeing how long they stay put.

My general rule is that I won't place one, though I may know of a great spot, that I can't get to in a day or two. If you're willing to make a long drive to check on a potentially pilfered cache, then there's no problem. If there's an absolutely irresistible hiding place, but it's too far away, find a cacher in that area and either get them to hide it or you hide it and get them to check on it if there's trouble reported.

I have a friend who hid four in our area, then he moved two states away. I flagged those for my watch list and whenever anything is reported, check on them for him.

"Man's ability to weasel out of trouble is what separates us from the animals...except weasels, of course." - Homer Simpson

I think the criteria might be a little looser for a micro-cache. If you have your heart set on placing one, that might be a good option. Just a small film container, altoids tin, hide-a-key, etc., with a log sheet and pencil nub. The lifetime of an urban-style micro cache is usually not that long anyway...if you get a few consecutive not-found logs then you can just archive it if there's nobody to check on it.

A good alternative is to post a virtual cache. The criteria for such a cache includes that it be an unusual or astounding place, such that others would also want to visit. (It's that one of the reasons for vacation, anyway?).

You just need to find some sort of focal point you can use to verify that cachers have been there. For examples of these, see "T.M.L." in Sacramento, CA, "A.M.P." on the north coast of CA, or "Geom" at Pt. Reyes CA. I'm sure there are others as well. Have fun!

I recently logged a virtual cache on Nevis whilst vacationing. I thought this was safe.

I also placed a micro there but have not logged it yet as I read the maintenance aspect and was undecided.

I would be interested to know of the 142 countries with caches, how many are active because of vacation cachers or because of indigenous cachers? I personally would like to look for a cache in a country I was passing through in order to have another country on my found list (I do like stats icon_smile.gif), and if it's not there I can log it as not found.

Maybe when you entered a vacation cache into the system there could be a field to flag vacation cache so people would not be surprised if it wasn't there.

I can understand the idea of maintenance to prevent your cache contents being thrown around and causing a problem, but some of the foreign caches will be visited so rarely that cache abuse shouldn't be a problem. Even if there are maintenance visits, anything could happen to the cache in between visits?

I recently logged a virtual cache on Nevis whilst vacationing. I thought this was safe.

I also placed a micro there but have not logged it yet as I read the maintenance aspect and was undecided.

I would be interested to know of the 142 countries with caches, how many are active because of vacation cachers or because of indigenous cachers? I personally would like to look for a cache in a country I was passing through in order to have another country on my found list (I do like stats icon_smile.gif), and if it's not there I can log it as not found.

Maybe when you entered a vacation cache into the system there could be a field to flag vacation cache so people would not be surprised if it wasn't there.

I can understand the idea of maintenance to prevent your cache contents being thrown around and causing a problem, but some of the foreign caches will be visited so rarely that cache abuse shouldn't be a problem. Even if there are maintenance visits, anything could happen to the cache in between visits?

I would suggest NOT leaving a cache while on vacation, except for virtuals, unless you plan to return on a regular basis to the area, or unless you already have someone in the area who can babysit it.

I set up a few virtuals in July while on vacation. On the cache page, I left this disclaimer:

quote:
Note: If there is a local cacher who wishes to place and maintain a traditional physical cache at this location, contact me. I made this a virtual because I live in Texas, and would be unable to maintain a physical cache.

If or when I'm contacted, I'll change the cache page and work with the other cacher to have the cache placed and maintained.

25021_1200.gif

We just happened to place these two caches while on our vacation to Colorado.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=32685

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=33366

It was absolutely great placing these caches! A whole new set of geocachers to meet! As far as maintaining our caches out there, we feel we can rely on our fellow geocachers in case a problem arises. If the log book needed to be replaced because the pages were filled with logs, I'm sure a fellow geocachers wouldn't mind helping us out! icon_cool.gif

We feel it was well worth placing these caches regardless of whether or not they work out in the long run. Besides, I have seen where teams will adopt a cache for another due to the team moving out of state, for example, and could no longer maintain it. We found one in Pueblo West just like that. At least the cache was being found even without the original owner around. Besides, we have really enjoyed reading the logs from members that are hundreds of miles away!

So we feel if you're going on a vacation thousands of miles from home, especially while driving, there is nothing wrong with hiding a cache or two! The more the merrier! icon_smile.gif

Duane from

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

We just happened to place these two caches while on our vacation to Colorado.

It was absolutely great placing these caches! A whole new set of geocachers to meet! As far as maintaining our caches out there, we feel we can rely on our fellow geocachers in case a problem arises. If the log book needed to be replaced because the pages were filled with logs, I'm sure a fellow geocachers wouldn't mind helping us out! icon_cool.gif

We feel it was well worth placing these caches regardless of whether or not they work out in the long run. Besides, I have seen where teams will adopt a cache for another due to the team moving out of state, for example, and could no longer maintain it. We found one in Pueblo West just like that. At least the cache was being found even without the original owner around. Besides, we have really enjoyed reading the logs from members that are hundreds of miles away!

So we feel if you're going on a vacation thousands of miles from home, especially while driving, there is nothing wrong with hiding a cache or two! The more the merrier! icon_smile.gif

Duane from

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

1. The physical cache is your responsibility and shouldn't be pawned off on local cachers. If someone moves after placing a cache, they should either arrange for someone else to tend to it or they should remove the cache.

2. A spontaneous placement while on vacation usually isn't researched very well and could easily end up right next to an existing cache.

3. RE: the suggestion to archive a cache if it get's a few 'no find' logs. - If you can't verify that it's truly gone, isn't this just littering?

I placed this cache while I was on vacation in Florida. I haven't checked on it since getting back to NY 3 months ago. Of course I haven't checked but one of my local caches (one time) so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Also I researched it before pacing it so not to hide it near another nearby cache. I also went with a relative who lives there to show them caching and they promised (I hope) to take care of any problems that may arise. I get all the logs by email so I'm on top of it.

Hmmm. I wonder if this is more about "turf"? Like you stay out of my backyard and I'll stay out of yours. That's MY park you're sticking that cache in and it "belongs" to me.

Alan

Nothing wrong with placing a virtual. I was down in LA a couple months ago and found a spot for a nice virtual.

I also left a micro on a long stretch of the hwy to break up the drive. It was a popular stop for with well manacured lawns and shrubs. It was gone quick and I archived it. I suspect the grounds keepers picked it up.

geoge

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO!

1. The physical cache is your responsibility and shouldn't be pawned off on local cachers. If someone moves after placing a cache, they should either arrange for someone else to tend to it or they should remove the cache.

2. A spontaneous placement while on vacation usually isn't researched very well and could easily end up right next to an existing cache.

3. RE: the suggestion to archive a cache if it get's a few 'no find' logs. - If you can't verify that it's truly gone, isn't this just littering?

Opinions are like #$$&!*&$, and everyone has one.

icon_eek.gif

It's hard to believe, when a family of six takes a 1800 mile road trip, one way. That a geocache member would discourage a family from placing a vacation cache. We hid both of our, out of state caches, about two weeks ago. So far there hasn't been a problem. Just like there has been no problems with our hometown caches.

We just love reading the logs at both geocaching websites, when a member finds one of our treasures. icon_razz.gif

Duane from

Upinyachit

icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO!

Opinions are like #$$&!*&$, and everyone has one.

icon_eek.gif

It's hard to believe, when a family of six takes a 1800 mile road trip, one way. That a geocache member would discourage a family from placing a vacation cache. We hid both of our, out of state caches, about two weeks ago. So far there hasn't been a problem. Just like there has been no problems with our hometown caches.

We just love reading the logs at both geocaching websites, when a member finds one of our treasures. icon_razz.gif

Duane from

Upinyachit

icon_biggrin.gif

I'll say it again, are there so few Geocaches in the area you are vactioning in that you have to place one. Instead why don't you enjoy the work of locals who have already placed caches. Keep in mind that we are being asked more and more to get permission from area parks. We have to build a relationship of trust with the park management and it doesn't help when someone from out of town makes all Geocachers look bad this type of irresponsible beahviour.

quote:
We have to build a relationship of trust with the park management and it doesn't help when someone from out of town makes all Geocachers look bad this type of irresponsible beahviour

All of the members that found them, had nothing to say but positive comments. On this site, and

the other one. I guess if placing a out of town cache makes members irresponsible, then upinyachit

is guilty. icon_confused.gif

Just one more thing; The kids, Candie, and I would like to say how much we enjoyed reading all the logs from the members that found these caches. We are still amazed that the LADYBUGGERS have found 479 caches, and our Stop and Rest Cache In Indiana is one of them. How cool is that...... icon_cool.gif

Duane from

UPINYACHIT icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
We have to build a relationship of trust with the park management and it doesn't help when someone from out of town makes all Geocachers look bad this type of irresponsible beahviour

All of the members that found them, had nothing to say but positive comments. On this site, and

the other one. I guess if placing a out of town cache makes members irresponsible, then upinyachit

is guilty. icon_confused.gif

Just one more thing; The kids, Candie, and I would like to say how much we enjoyed reading all the logs from the members that found these caches. We are still amazed that the LADYBUGGERS have found 479 caches, and our Stop and Rest Cache In Indiana is one of them. How cool is that...... icon_cool.gif

Duane from

UPINYACHIT icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Belleterre:

I can't say I speak for the majority of geocachers in the Missoula area, but I CAN say that I'm not the only one who has been highly offended recently by vacationing geocachers dropping off caches around here, expecting US to babysit them.

Don't assume that some other kind hearted geocacher in the area will look after your cache after you place it. Any cache you place is your responsability to look after, until it disappears, or YOU physically remove it.

Don't assume that you know of better places to put caches than the locals do. There may be a very good reason nobody has placed a cache in that particular area.

In short, don't be rude. Hunt caches while on vacation. Place caches close to home.

---------------------------------------

Friends don't let friends NOT geocache.

The following is from the Geocaching.com page on the placing of caches:

Step 5 - Maintain the cache

Once you place the cache, it is your responsibility to maintain the cache and the area around it. You'll need to return as often as you can to ensure that your cache is not impacting the area, and ensure that the cache is in good repair. Once people have visited the cache, inquire about the cache and their opinion of the location. Does the area look disturbed? Are visitors disrupting the landscape in any way? If you have concerns about the location, feel free to move or remove it from the area.

If you are unable to do this, or enlist someone specific to do it for you, then you simply shouldn't be placing the cache. What if you get a few "not founds?". Do you archive it? If you archive it and its still there than it's nothing more than litter. What if it leaks and you start getting complaints about soggy logbooks and contents? How will you address that? How will you assess the impact the cache is having on the area?

Use common sense people. If you can't maintain a cache, then don't place it. If you must place a cache while on vacation, then make it a virtural

I've just had a quick look and found 10 caches that appear to be "vacation" caches - i.e. no owner to care and feed. My error could be assuming the cacher has not employed a local to maintain the cache.

Anyway, those caches that have been visited have had good reviews; "nice place" etc.

These are not US state caches, they are in foreign countries.

Should these caches, which have brought pleasure to visitors, be archived?

If so, how do you sign up to be a Cache Auditor and do you get a badge? icon_wink.gif

Seriously, if the group concensus is that all caches must be maintained by the original hider (unless a locum can be arranged), then some stricter approval process is required.

Personally, if I'm passing through country X and I see one or a few caches, I'm going to try and get them if I've got time, and I'm grateful to the placer if they're there or even missing - it gets me out to see something I wouldn't have normally seen.

I would agree though that in some of the US states where there are many caches, placing vacation ones might be unnecessary.

I've just had a quick look and found 10 caches that appear to be "vacation" caches - i.e. no owner to care and feed. My error could be assuming the cacher has not employed a local to maintain the cache.

Anyway, those caches that have been visited have had good reviews; "nice place" etc.

These are not US state caches, they are in foreign countries.

Should these caches, which have brought pleasure to visitors, be archived?

If so, how do you sign up to be a Cache Auditor and do you get a badge? icon_wink.gif

Seriously, if the group concensus is that all caches must be maintained by the original hider (unless a locum can be arranged), then some stricter approval process is required.

Personally, if I'm passing through country X and I see one or a few caches, I'm going to try and get them if I've got time, and I'm grateful to the placer if they're there or even missing - it gets me out to see something I wouldn't have normally seen.

I would agree though that in some of the US states where there are many caches, placing vacation ones might be unnecessary.

quote:
Hmmm. I wonder if this is more about "turf"? Like you stay out of my backyard and I'll stay out of yours. That's MY park you're sticking that cache in and it "belongs" to me.

Oh really? I think you are right! Anyone feeling like the quote above? Too bad. It is NOT your park or land that it's going on.

This has got to be what everyone is upset about. While on vacation, we DID GO GEOCACHING, DUH!!! How could you possibly think that we went all that way and didn't find any caches? We introduced geocaching to several new members, one of which will be maintaining the cache in Pueblo West. We are not expecting anyone to "babysit" our cache in Indiana either.

quote:
In short, don't be rude. Hunt caches while on vacation. Place caches close to home.

Excuse me, but we will hide our caches where ever we want; as long as it's not on private property. I can tell you one thing....

Indiana and Colorado are now familiar with UPINYACHIT!

Travel bugs have already been and left the Stop N Rest Cache. Hmmmm, think they just stopped and rested before going on their way?? He he! icon_biggrin.gif

If there were any problems with our caches, there are plenty of kind hearted geocachers out there that would check on it for us. How do you know we won't check on it ourselves? We like to drive! LOL We don't expect ANYONE to feel like they have to "babysit" our caches. I would if someone asked us; what's the big deal anyways?

icon_rolleyes.gif

Look out! We are already planning where to go next! He he! icon_wink.gif

Candie from

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

quote:

Oh really? I think you are right! Anyone feeling like the quote above? Too bad. It is NOT your park or land that it's going on.

This has got to be what everyone is upset about. While on vacation, we DID GO GEOCACHING, DUH!!! How could you possibly think that we went all that way and didn't find any caches? We introduced geocaching to several new members, one of which will be maintaining the cache in Pueblo West. We are not expecting anyone to "babysit" our cache in Indiana either.

quote:

Excuse me, but we will hide our caches where ever we want; as long as it's not on private property. I can tell you one thing....

Travel bugs have already been and left the Stop N Rest Cache. Hmmmm, think they just stopped and rested before going on their way?? He he! icon_biggrin.gif

If there were any problems with our caches, there are plenty of kind hearted geocachers out there that would check on it for us. How do you know we won't check on it ourselves? We like to drive! LOL We don't expect ANYONE to feel like they have to "babysit" our caches. I would if someone asked us; what's the big deal anyways?

icon_rolleyes.gif

Look out! We are already planning where to go next! He he! icon_wink.gif

Candie from

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

I don't think it matters *WHO* will be maintaining a cache you place as long as you have someone who will maintain it before you place it or who you feel certain will adopt it when you ask. I think that if you just drop off a cache far away from home and assume that someone local will take care of it for you or that you can just ignore it, that you are littering. If someone isn't going to maintain it, don't place it.

Placing a cache container that you can't possibly maintain is littering.

Now you know why the NPS doesn't want geocaching in National Parks. Can you imagine the number of vacation caches there would be in Yellowstone?

If you must draw people to a particular location, do it with a virtual.

quote:
Originally posted by upinyachit:

We are not expecting anyone to "babysit" our cache in Indiana either.

quote:

If there were any problems with our caches, there are plenty of kind hearted geocachers out there that would check on it for us.

You're contradicting yourself here.

quote:

we will hide our caches where ever we want

I think you need to re-read the last post by BrianSnat above, especially the part that starts with "Step 5 - Maintain the cache". We're not making this part up just to upset you. It's part of the rules, and like any game, if you can't abide by them, you shouldn't play.

If someone had the foresight to contact me and say "I'm from out of town, was planning on placing a cache in your area, and was wondering if you would take partial stewardship by watching my cache and maintaining it when needed?" I'd find them to be courteous and thoughtful, and I'd watch it for them closely. If it was presumed that I'd take stewardship, I'd find those cachers presumptious and not very wise. I take baggies with me on every cache. I also bring pencils and sometimes and extra notebook so that I can leave a cache better than the way I found it. But when one of my caches got looted and strewn around the forest floor, it was my responsibility to go out there and look for any leftover litter that other cachers might not have found. When several cachers in a row post "Not found" I'd have to go look for it. I hid it. If not, I just littered.

It's a game folks..........

Upinyachit seems to have missed the point I made. In the past 6 months many parks departments and land management districts have created policies that allow Geocaching on their land, working with local Geocachers. All we need is someone who comes in from out of town and places a cache someplace it shouldn't be or in violation of the policy. All it takes is one petty beaurcrat to cancel the policy because a geocacher couldn't work within the rules. It won't matter that they were here on vacation.

As far as the rest of their posts they are a mass of contradictions. By all means go geocaching while on vacation, put place your caches in your lacal area.

quote:
Upinyachit seems to have missed the point I made.

quote:
As far as the rest of their posts they are a mass of contradictions

Dude, lighten up, everything is going to be ok. icon_smile.gif

Why don't you worry about yourself. To say our posts are contradicting, is absolutely ridiculous. Do you see the word IF in front of "there was a problem"? We travel routes 70 AND 80 once a year for vacation!!! I am from Colorado Springs, Colorado, for petes sake! My whole family is there!!!! icon_mad.gif

I can see how you would think I was contradicting myself, but YOU don't know our actions! You don't even know if WE WOULD GO TO INDIANA TO TAKE CARE OF A POTENTIAL PROBLEM!!!! HOW DO YOU KNOW??? YOU DON'T. DON'T THINK FOR A MINUTE THAT I WON'T HOP IN MY TRUCK AND TRAVEL TO ANOTHER STATE TO MAINTAIN MY CACHE! icon_mad.gif

It's like you are going out of your way to make certain cachers look bad. Putting someone down to make yourself look better isn't the answer. WE DO ABIDE BY THE GEOCACHING RULES! IF YOU READ OUR LOGS IN OUR CACHES, YOU WILL NOTICE THAT EVERY SINGLE ONE HAS BEEN POSITIVE; NOT TO MENTION THAT OUR CACHES OUR FILLED WITH ABOVE AVERAGE ITEMS. WE PUT ALOT OF WORK INTO OUR CACHES AND FOR YOU TO SIT THERE AND TELL ME THAT I CAN'T HIDE A CACHE WHILE ON VACATION TO "SPREAD THE WORD"? HOLY COW, THAT SOUNDS CONTRADICTING TO ME! icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know you, MAG, and I'm not sure I'd want to know someone as negative as you, but I would guess you have conflicts with somebody everyday. Try having a positive attitude, you will find out that life is more enjoyable. So is geocaching! What did YOU do before geocaching, I wonder!

The subject is Hiding a Cache While on Vacation.

I dont think it means looking up a members

personal inventory and placing judgment.

quote:

SKYDRIVER, What's up????

Why didn't you finish our quote??????? Here you go, I'll finish it for you...

quote:
as long as it's not on private property.

If you are going to start something, make sure you finish it icon_wink.gif

We just enjoy the hobby and we go caching. Don't try to predict "our next moves", we will take care of our own. Try and be concerned about your own caches. Until geocaching affects you or YOUR property, relax. icon_cool.gif

As long as the satellites are working, there will always be a cache to find. icon_razz.gif

Duane and Candie from

UPINYACHIT

icon_smile.gif

quote:
Upinyachit seems to have missed the point I made.

quote:
As far as the rest of their posts they are a mass of contradictions

Dude, lighten up, everything is going to be ok. icon_smile.gif

Why don't you worry about yourself. To say our posts are contradicting, is absolutely ridiculous. Do you see the word IF in front of "there was a problem"? We travel routes 70 AND 80 once a year for vacation!!! I am from Colorado Springs, Colorado, for petes sake! My whole family is there!!!! icon_mad.gif

I can see how you would think I was contradicting myself, but YOU don't know our actions! You don't even know if WE WOULD GO TO INDIANA TO TAKE CARE OF A POTENTIAL PROBLEM!!!! HOW DO YOU KNOW??? YOU DON'T. DON'T THINK FOR A MINUTE THAT I WON'T HOP IN MY TRUCK AND TRAVEL TO ANOTHER STATE TO MAINTAIN MY CACHE! icon_mad.gif

It's like you are going out of your way to make certain cachers look bad. Putting someone down to make yourself look better isn't the answer. WE DO ABIDE BY THE GEOCACHING RULES! IF YOU READ OUR LOGS IN OUR CACHES, YOU WILL NOTICE THAT EVERY SINGLE ONE HAS BEEN POSITIVE; NOT TO MENTION THAT OUR CACHES OUR FILLED WITH ABOVE AVERAGE ITEMS. WE PUT ALOT OF WORK INTO OUR CACHES AND FOR YOU TO SIT THERE AND TELL ME THAT I CAN'T HIDE A CACHE WHILE ON VACATION TO "SPREAD THE WORD"? HOLY COW, THAT SOUNDS CONTRADICTING TO ME! icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know you, MAG, and I'm not sure I'd want to know someone as negative as you, but I would guess you have conflicts with somebody everyday. Try having a positive attitude, you will find out that life is more enjoyable. So is geocaching! What did YOU do before geocaching, I wonder!

The subject is Hiding a Cache While on Vacation.

I dont think it means looking up a members

personal inventory and placing judgment.

quote:

SKYDRIVER, What's up????

quote:

We just enjoy the hobby and we go caching. Don't try to predict "our next moves", we will take care of our own. Try and be concerned about your own caches. Until geocaching affects you or YOUR property, relax. icon_cool.gif

As long as the satellites are working, there will always be a cache to find. icon_razz.gif

Duane and Candie from

UPINYACHIT

icon_smile.gif

quote:

quote:

SKYDRIVER, What's up????

quote:

Fair enough. I abbreviated your quote to emphasize my point. You may feel I took your quote out of context. I appologize.

However, I think Magellen315 stated it well. You don't know what policies local parks managers and geocachers have worked out and agreed to. So, it's not always just private property that you shouldn't be placing caches in. Please, don't ruin it for the rest of us by placing caches...

quote:
where ever we want as long as it's not on private property.

quote:

quote:

SKYDRIVER, What's up????

quote:

Fair enough. I abbreviated your quote to emphasize my point. You may feel I took your quote out of context. I appologize.

However, I think Magellen315 stated it well. You don't know what policies local parks managers and geocachers have worked out and agreed to. So, it's not always just private property that you shouldn't be placing caches in. Please, don't ruin it for the rest of us by placing caches...

quote:
where ever we want as long as it's not on private property.

What is the deal here, I make a valid point about local concerns and it becomes a personal attack. I'm a negative person because I ask you to think of others. I have yet to see you make single statement that is not based solely on your personal experience.

Just because you travel to some place every year for a vacation does not mean that you are aware of what is happening in that area on a daily basis. I am not worried about other geocachers feelings about how much they enjoy your caches. I am more concerned about some local official who will deciede that we are hurting the environment. And then have all caches in local parks removed. I can think of one park in my area where if a tourist were to place a cache the park manager would make enough of an issue to have all local caches removed from all parks.

It may be public land put someone still manages it and more often than not it is easier to say no to new ideas than yes. Yes, requires an a committe and policy, no means no. You wonder why the NPS doesn't allow geocaching it is precisly because of people on vacation who will place cahces with good intentions unaware of local concerns.

Let's recap:

1. The rules say not to do it.

2. The consensus of opinion in this thread is not to do it.

3. The underlying logic why not to do it is clear.

The original poster asked a legitimate question, and I think this thread has provided a clear answer (if you place a cache, you are responsible to maintain, move, or remove it as necessary) and also offered a reasonable alternative (create a virtual if it's too far away to properly maintain a traditional cache). As to the (increasingly common) case of someone saying "I'll do whatever I want and the rest of you can go to Hell," why even bother posting if you don't care about the rules, logic, or the opinions of fellow cachers?

quote:

And give the caches 5 or 6 months and they will associate UPINYACHIT with lousy, poorly maintained caches. Not the legacy I'd want.

Hey, do what heck you want. Just don't come to these forums asking for approval and get bent out of shape icon_redface.gif because you don't receive it.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:

And give the caches 5 or 6 months and they will associate UPINYACHIT with lousy, poorly maintained caches. Not the legacy I'd want.

Hey, do what heck you want. Just don't come to these forums asking for approval and get bent out of shape icon_redface.gif because you don't receive it.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

So; if we're agreed that you shouldn't place a physical cache if you aren't going to maintain it, what is the next action on exisiting vacation caches (if any)?

This topic seems to be merging with the "rat on a rulebreaker" thread - Quote of part of BrianSnat's post in the "rat on rulebreaker" thread:

".....If we want Geocaching to continue as a viable sport, we'll have to police our own ranks. If someone places a cache in an inappropriate area

it is our duty to let them know. If they continue to flout our written and un-written rules, then we should bring the issue to the attention of this Geocaching community......"

So is the PC thing to do to email the owner of a suspected vacation cache and ask her/him to put a note on the cache page for the next finder to retrieve it, and then archive it? Maybe a broadcast post to all email accounts about the dangers of vacation caches?

I'm assuming here that being able to maintain the cache means being able to get to it within a certain period of time after it's logged can't find or reported as trashed (period to be defined?).

This seems a little excessive though.

Personally I like the idea of posting a note if there's anything wrong with the cache telling the next person to bring a pencil/log book etc. (assuming you don't bring a basic "repair kit" with you), and if it's trashed, pick up the pieces anyway. Isn't one of the mottos "Cache In Trash Out"?

I'm looking at this from a non-US-centric (??) point of view, which I understand is the minority view, but for travelling cachers the opportunity to find in other countries could be limited if vacation caches are stopped.

Of course I understand "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one" (Spock) icon_biggrin.gif

So; if we're agreed that you shouldn't place a physical cache if you aren't going to maintain it, what is the next action on exisiting vacation caches (if any)?

This topic seems to be merging with the "rat on a rulebreaker" thread - Quote of part of BrianSnat's post in the "rat on rulebreaker" thread:

".....If we want Geocaching to continue as a viable sport, we'll have to police our own ranks. If someone places a cache in an inappropriate area

it is our duty to let them know. If they continue to flout our written and un-written rules, then we should bring the issue to the attention of this Geocaching community......"

So is the PC thing to do to email the owner of a suspected vacation cache and ask her/him to put a note on the cache page for the next finder to retrieve it, and then archive it? Maybe a broadcast post to all email accounts about the dangers of vacation caches?

I'm assuming here that being able to maintain the cache means being able to get to it within a certain period of time after it's logged can't find or reported as trashed (period to be defined?).

This seems a little excessive though.

Personally I like the idea of posting a note if there's anything wrong with the cache telling the next person to bring a pencil/log book etc. (assuming you don't bring a basic "repair kit" with you), and if it's trashed, pick up the pieces anyway. Isn't one of the mottos "Cache In Trash Out"?

I'm looking at this from a non-US-centric (??) point of view, which I understand is the minority view, but for travelling cachers the opportunity to find in other countries could be limited if vacation caches are stopped.

Of course I understand "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one" (Spock) icon_biggrin.gif

We had a cache here in Chicago that someone placed while on a business conference. I was first finder for it (it had some theater tix!), and the hider was very blatant about the fact that he was from San Diego.

After finding, I e-mailed him and offered to either adopt the cache, or be his cache nanny - not owning it, but checking on it when it needs to be done.

In the past year that the cache has been up, he's still involved in Geocaching and watching the cache faithfully. I've only had to make one extra trip out to the cache to replace a logbook - and I picked up a Travel Bug while I was there.

I know this process doesn't work for extremely remote caches in the wild places of the world, but in heavily populated areas, but I see nothing wrong with a local cacher (out of the goodness of their heart) offering to help out any time a remotely placed cache has problems. It's actually been kinda fun for me. icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

We had a cache here in Chicago that someone placed while on a business conference. I was first finder for it (it had some theater tix!), and the hider was very blatant about the fact that he was from San Diego.

After finding, I e-mailed him and offered to either adopt the cache, or be his cache nanny - not owning it, but checking on it when it needs to be done.

In the past year that the cache has been up, he's still involved in Geocaching and watching the cache faithfully. I've only had to make one extra trip out to the cache to replace a logbook - and I picked up a Travel Bug while I was there.

I know this process doesn't work for extremely remote caches in the wild places of the world, but in heavily populated areas, but I see nothing wrong with a local cacher (out of the goodness of their heart) offering to help out any time a remotely placed cache has problems. It's actually been kinda fun for me. icon_biggrin.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Excuse me, SNAT!

quote:

You think so, huh? You must have never found our caches! Wow, dude, you are pathetic! Is that all you can come up with? Someone finds our caches EVERYDAY!!! We have had our caches out there for 7 months! Go ahead, do some research, buddy, you ain't rainin' on our parade! icon_rolleyes.gif

This is a quote from us on "the other site"...

quote:
I would have liked to have hid one on Pikes Peak, but they have strict rules and regulations.

WE DO KNOW ABOUT RULES, MAG, OBVIOUSLY. WOULD YOU LIKE THE DATE WE POSTED THIS OR CAN YOU MANAGE TO FIND THE DATE ON YOUR OWN. WE DO THINK OF THESE THINGS, INCLUDING THE ENVIRONMENT!

quote:
Hey, do what heck you want. Just don't come to these forums asking for approval and get bent out of shape because you don't receive it.

WE ARE GETTING TO THE POINT WHERE PETE REPEAT! WE DON'T NEED YOUR APPROVAL, DUDE! THIS THREAD WAS BASED ON OPINIONS ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT TO HIDE A CACHE WHILE ON VACATION. DUH! I'M NOT BENT OUT OF SHAPE, AS YOU PUT IT. I'M TIRED OF REPEATING MYSELF TO THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T READ!

And by the way, I will come on these forums and reply to whom I see fit. I Don't need your approval for that, either!

quote:
You wonder why the NPS doesn't allow geocaching it is precisly because of people on vacation who will place cahces with good intentions unaware of local concerns.

You really think that us "vacationing" cachers are the cause of why the NPS doesn't allow caches in parks? Aren't you being a little ridiculous? PINPOINTING ON VACATIONERS? DON'T TRY AND PASS THE BUCK, MAG. How about irresponsible cachers? Or local "trashers" that ruin the caches people place, or the thieves that take them? Give me a break, Mag, reach for the "stars" while you're at it!

HELLO PEOPLE!!! WE DO HAVE SOMEONE MAINTAINING OUR CACHE FOR US!!! WHAT PART OF THAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? icon_eek.gif

quote:
"I'll do whatever I want and the rest of you can go to Hell,"

I never said anything of the sort, so quit putting quotes in that aren't true. What part of THAT don't YOU understand?

In a nutshell....

We hid one in Indiana; close enough to maintain, as far as I'm concerned! We hid one in Colorado; Pearce1, a member WE introduced will be maintaining it. Tell me now, is THAT sooooooo bad? We did follow th rules. Like I've said before and I'll say again, WE WORK HARD PUTTING OUR CACHES TOGETHER AND IT SHOWS, K? icon_wink.gif

quote:
'nuff said.

The only quote that makes any sense came from Cachebaby. Markwell and 003 sounds like they know what the deal is! PEACE!

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Excuse me, SNAT!

quote:

You think so, huh? You must have never found our caches! Wow, dude, you are pathetic! Is that all you can come up with? Someone finds our caches EVERYDAY!!! We have had our caches out there for 7 months! Go ahead, do some research, buddy, you ain't rainin' on our parade! icon_rolleyes.gif

This is a quote from us on "the other site"...

quote:
I would have liked to have hid one on Pikes Peak, but they have strict rules and regulations.

WE DO KNOW ABOUT RULES, MAG, OBVIOUSLY. WOULD YOU LIKE THE DATE WE POSTED THIS OR CAN YOU MANAGE TO FIND THE DATE ON YOUR OWN. WE DO THINK OF THESE THINGS, INCLUDING THE ENVIRONMENT!

quote:
Hey, do what heck you want. Just don't come to these forums asking for approval and get bent out of shape because you don't receive it.

WE ARE GETTING TO THE POINT WHERE PETE REPEAT! WE DON'T NEED YOUR APPROVAL, DUDE! THIS THREAD WAS BASED ON OPINIONS ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT TO HIDE A CACHE WHILE ON VACATION. DUH! I'M NOT BENT OUT OF SHAPE, AS YOU PUT IT. I'M TIRED OF REPEATING MYSELF TO THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T READ!

And by the way, I will come on these forums and reply to whom I see fit. I Don't need your approval for that, either!

quote:
You wonder why the NPS doesn't allow geocaching it is precisly because of people on vacation who will place cahces with good intentions unaware of local concerns.

You really think that us "vacationing" cachers are the cause of why the NPS doesn't allow caches in parks? Aren't you being a little ridiculous? PINPOINTING ON VACATIONERS? DON'T TRY AND PASS THE BUCK, MAG. How about irresponsible cachers? Or local "trashers" that ruin the caches people place, or the thieves that take them? Give me a break, Mag, reach for the "stars" while you're at it!

HELLO PEOPLE!!! WE DO HAVE SOMEONE MAINTAINING OUR CACHE FOR US!!! WHAT PART OF THAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? icon_eek.gif

quote:
"I'll do whatever I want and the rest of you can go to Hell,"

I never said anything of the sort, so quit putting quotes in that aren't true. What part of THAT don't YOU understand?

In a nutshell....

We hid one in Indiana; close enough to maintain, as far as I'm concerned! We hid one in Colorado; Pearce1, a member WE introduced will be maintaining it. Tell me now, is THAT sooooooo bad? We did follow th rules. Like I've said before and I'll say again, WE WORK HARD PUTTING OUR CACHES TOGETHER AND IT SHOWS, K? icon_wink.gif

quote:
'nuff said.

The only quote that makes any sense came from Cachebaby. Markwell and 003 sounds like they know what the deal is! PEACE!

Candie

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

To place a regular-sized cache in an area where you can't maintain it regularly is simply irresponsible, and is essentially littering.

Just like parenting, pet ownership, etc., you should view a cache as a responsibility. If you're not willing to take on that responsibility, then don't do it...instead enjoy other peoples' kids, pets, and caches. icon_smile.gif

To place a regular-sized cache in an area where you can't maintain it regularly is simply irresponsible, and is essentially littering.

Just like parenting, pet ownership, etc., you should view a cache as a responsibility. If you're not willing to take on that responsibility, then don't do it...instead enjoy other peoples' kids, pets, and caches. icon_smile.gif