Mr. Ranger Doesn't Mind

This is an interesting log from a plundered cache. It's very encouraging to those who debate whether or not to get permission.

"July 22 by Mr. Ranger (1 found)

Mr. Ranger is new to geocahing (after hearing about it at a parks conference). My very very first experience with geocaches is having this one turned into me by a well meaning park visitor. If DR. Dolittle wants to stop by the Palo Alto Baylands ranegr station s/he can have it back to re hide it. FYI for all - park rangers don't mind activities that have little environmental impact in the parks (a log entry mentions that the finder has to go fast because the ranger was watching). If you hide a cache in a park let the rangers know so they can tell people to leave it alone. Looking forward to running into folks at a cache in the future..."

The cache is:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=3c2e5ad9-8c66-415f-8bb0-c3b137a7f3e6

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

While hunting in Henry Coe, here in Cali, (3 times over last 6 days) I casually dropped to probably 5 different rangers my "GPS" "Geo-caching" and Looking for "something" specific in no particular place for no particular reason and .....

Not one even batted an eye? No questions, not even a "Hmmmphhhh"???

I paid the day use fee and went on my way...

I "Like" the idea of letting them know whats up...but half the fun is the weird looks, the "What's that?, Is that one of those newfangled GPS thingy's? the "sneaking" around (Stealth factor) and in general, the knowledge that I found it and they, you, or them didn't!!!

Happy Hunting

A similar situation has happened around here:

Bay Point Loop

quote:
January 5 by jombbl (84 found)

We found the cache this afternoon, but it was removed by a Harrison Bay State Park Ranger at 4pm today.

The Ranger approached us on the trail on our way to the cache and asked if we were using the GPS's just for fun or if we were looking for something in particular. Chip admitted to looking for something, and the Ranger asked if we were looking for the geocache. Kinda hard to lie about that with geocaching.com and the logo on the backpack!

On the way to the cache the Ranger explained that the Tennessee State Park folks recently learned about the geocaching activity in an in-service session. We explained geocaching to the Ranger, and showed him the printed cache page. We explained that geocachers as park visitors and hikers are probably some of the most responsible and desirable visitors a park system could ask for. But in the absence of experience and knowledge, the park system folks must revert to established rules and regulations. And because they do not know enough about the activity and how to handle it yet, all caches are currently considered abandoned property and are subject to immediate removal.

We had a good visit and conversation with Rangers Matt and Todd. As fellow outdoor enthusiasts they understand the attraction of the geocaching hunt, and the responsible approach to the environment of most geocachers. The State Park system management will probably take a very conservative view to any geocaching activity in the forseeable future.

We signed the log, and took the Little Debbie keyring and the footsie soak & anti-stress lotion. Alas, the cache box went to the Park Rangers office, and the status is currently unknown, but the Bay Point Loop cache is probably history for now.

Chip & Blair

jombbl @ geocaching

Post Script, 06 January 2003...

Great news about the return of the cache, eclose! We will have to visit again to leave goodies for future Bay Point Loop cachers!

Then a couple of days later, I went with the Ranger, a life-long friend and we found the cache ourselves:

quote:
January 12 by BayRanger (2 found)

Well that was my 1st cache... I was with the 2 previous people that logged their visits: jharvey400 & choachy. It's kind of ironic that this cache is also what got me interested in this activity. I was one of the park rangers that confiscated this cache at the first of January(hey just doing our job until we passed it on to our bosses). Ranger Matt was the one who actually came upon the two friendly (socially and environmentally) geocachers at the end of his shift. I came onto my shift right when they found it, so I didn't actually know where it was placed.

We enjoyed finding it, although it was around mid-20 degrees outside (without the wind) and wet from pulling the cache out of the lake where it was hidden... not to mention crossing the pit of fire and armwrestling the Blair Witch to gain access to the Whopper Lair.

I took the crocheted bookmark and the U.S.C.G. neck keychain. I left a laminated pocket copy of vehicle identification number (VIN) decoding for year-models of vehicles.

Looking forward to more caches, maybe even leaving my own cache some day... 'course I would get permission 1st (eclose). Haha.

I am now jumping on the cache-in, trash-out cliche' bandwagon. Hope everyone else does the same.

Todd (BayRanger)

icon_smile.gif

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

Some geocachers I know went into a NJ state park office looking for a trail map. The ranger behind the desk saw the GPS and said "So you looking for one of those geocache things?". "Good luck".

There is no statewide geocaching policy here and the parks personnel apparently know about the sport. Though they don't give it official approval, they realize that in the scheme of things, its relatively harmless. They look the other way, with a wink.

As an aside, I found this log in a cache of mine in a county park: "Park naturalist stopped by to check on the cache. "All is well".

I dread the day that some earnest, well-meaning, newbie demands that the authorities sanction their cache placement.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry