New Forums - Complaints - Praise, etc...

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

I want to thank Elias for his hard work. He's been working on getting the forums moved over to a dedicated box for around 8 months without losing the 2 1/2 years of discussion topics. 8 months! And the result has been some minor irritations but otherwise intact forums.

The profiles you see are the actual UBBx profile, which should point back to the Geocaching.com site. We're initiating a bug report to the folks at Infopop so they can fix it. Apparently you can still click on the "who's online" usernames and it will take you directly to the correct profile page.

I appreciate design comments like the flag is too loud. It's my fault for having overzealous designs on the page. I'll try to subdue the flags though I think it's a neat addition. If you're logged in they will gray out when you are caught up on the topics (if you're logged in).

Some patience please, but keep the bug reports coming. Elias is currently working on a list to send to Infopop.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Any word on lost replies? This thread has replies missing from October 8 until today. Could this be why users post numbers have changed?

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

First off my thanks go to Elias for all his hard work.

I think there is a small bug with the new post a reply screen. When I include a URL I usually cut and paste the address to the Instant Code URL box. Now when I right click to paste the box closes itself and dumps the URL into the text of the message.

PDOP's GPS Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

I appreciate design comments like the flag is too loud. It's my fault for having overzealous designs on the page. I'll try to subdue the flags though I think it's a neat addition. If you're logged in they will gray out when you are caught up on the topics (if you're logged in).

Even logging on six times a day isn't enough for me to 'gray out' any flags. I imagine only people like Mopar, Markwell, BrianSnat and children like Magicman and Mr.Snazz will see many grayed out flags!

bandbass.gif

I may be the only one in the world that this BUG affects, I suspect because I use Netscape v.4.77(an old version).

Anyone using Netscape 7.x or higher, did the new features show up for you?

I see no changes to the layout of these forum pages. They look just like they did.

The forum posts numbers are reduced and the topic dates are all screwed up, but that is about it. No new features.

Is this forum considered a report of my bug?

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

I do like the changes to the forums. They scheme is nice, but the flags are loud, as echoed by others.

Aside from that, the only other thing I've had the chance to notice is the post-counts are off, but that's just beating a dead horse telling you about it (since it's been mentioned by just about every previous poster).

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by Dersu:

I see no changes to the layout of these forum pages. They look just like they did.

If the forums "think" your browser can't support the new user interface, then it'll show you the old one.

frog.gif Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

If the forums "think" your browser can't support the new user interface, then it'll show you the old one.

Personally I like the new layout, but for the benefit of people who don't, is there any way to trick the forums into thinking your browser can't support it?

SimonG.org - now with added blog!

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

Personally I like the new layout, but for the benefit of people who don't, is there any way to trick the forums into thinking your browser can't support it?

That's a good question... My guess is that the forums do this by examining the USER_AGENT info that's passed from the browser to the server to determine which user interface to use. I'm sure there's a registry hack or something similar one could use to change the browser's info, but I don't have any idea how to find it.

frog.gif Elias

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

Even logging on six times a day isn't enough for me to 'gray out' any flags. I imagine only people like Mopar, Markwell, BrianSnat and children like Magicman and Mr.Snazz will see many grayed out flags!

I use Netscape 4.8, so I still see the old forum interface. No flags for me.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

The Pull down list is now on the little house icon at the top and bottom of each page http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/infopop/images3/misc/breadcrumb_forum.gif . Just click it and you will see them. The globe icon has the "new since your last visit" link.

These features are not working for me (Mac OS X and IE 5). Bummer.

Other Mac users: what is your experience? Is it just moi?

-----

You must be present to win.

quote:
Originally posted by Elias:

frog.gif Elias

It looks like the old one in IE 4.0 (work computer). In Mozilla, I can see the new interface, but the top of every page has a white rectangle overlaying whatever content there is. Very strange.

Ron/yumitori

Mac user. Garbled all to heck in iCab (things that should be aligned horizontally are now stacked vertically, so you have to scroll through a bunch of green boxes before messages appear). iCab is pretty standards-oriented, so it might be due to that. Looks OK in IE, but I use iCab as my main browser. I think it doesn't like the alignment tags.

--

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

"I saw two shooting stars last night,

I wished on them--but they were only satellites!

Is it wrong to wish on space hardware?

I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care."

--Billy Bragg, "A New England"

I miss the what topics are active today feature though I do like the layout of the new forums. I got all excited when I saw it in my netscape 4.7 at work. Guess that's explained now.

I've also notice that the Arkansas State Parks thread from the south and southeast forums have been majorly truncated. This thread had some ground breaking work with the State parks in Arkansas. I was looking for it the other day to use as reference for working with state parks and the meat of it is gone. Anyway to get it back?

quote:
Originally posted by Team Shibby:

So far so good! However, my biggest gripe is the same as everyone elses. Please fix the user profile ASAP! I liked being able to click on it and see finds/nofinds and such...icon_frown.gif

http://www.teamshibby.com

Krs, Kar & Na

For those of you who mourn the loss of the icon which allows you to see a cacher's geocaching.com profile (not the forum profile) try this:

Click on the forum poster's name above the picture on the left side of the post.

When the drop down box comes up, click on *see posts by this cacher* (or words to that effect).

When a list of forum posts comes up, click on the person's name on the right side of the page.

This brings up the forum poster's *real* profile. Not as convenient as the old one step icon approach, but it works and is especially useful for cachers who are unknown to you.

Enjoy!

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.