New Forums - Complaints - Praise, etc...

quote:
Originally posted by SimonG:

so hopefully he'll sort it out.

icon_rolleyes.gif I hope you realize how bad of a pun that really is. BTW - this is already fixed?

Compliments: I really like the layouts. The Java'd window for replies is kind cool - saves the iframe tag.

icon_frown.gif Ah - I hope that search engine works really well. I've got my markwelling cut out for me. I think every post in the new forums will be starting off... "I think I read this before, but I can't find the thread."

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
In this announcement, Elias, says:

Unfortunately the messages in the database have different unique id numbers so all old links are broken...

I guess Markwell's not gonna be too happy about that!

(Dang! Markwell got in there just before me icon_smile.gif )

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:
The number posts at the bottom of each post is wrong.

That's a good thing. I was about to break 2,000 posts. Now I'm back down in the 780's. I no longer look like a loser who has nothing better to do than post here.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

Heh- I still look like a loser, but at least I don't have the 2100 I had prior. Those numbers for Brian and me look strangly like the number of posts we had made in the old forums prior to the infopop conversion back in February of 2002. I had made about 1200 posts before we converted.

The sort order is REALLY messed up. I went back to page 126 to see the most recent posts (yep, still messed up), and then started to go back page by page. There's one current topic from the last couple of days at the top of each of the pages.

Elias: PLEASE resort. I know - he's sleeping at this time of the day (4am in Washington).

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Many of the items like the ones listed under the avatar for user profile and such, cannot be opened in a new tab or window, that kind of sucks for me.

The rest will take some getting used to, but it does seem faster which is nice.

If carrots are so good for the eyes, how come I see so many dead rabbits on the highway?

Layout looks good, the order is screwed up, but for some reason it seems a lot slower than the other one. I can count "one thousand one, one thousand two" between screens. Huh!?

I do NOT like the new profile page.

I DO like the new REPLY window.

Anyway, I'm sure the bugs will get sorted out.

I wake up (which I am happy to do)and my world is upside down. This will take some getting use to. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

These look like the atv forums I frequent. Nice familier look.

To add to the list of problems:

The polls have lost all counts that were in them. Now my whining poll will have to be started all over. icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

The real bad thing is that if my post count doesn't go back up to where it was, y'all know what will happen. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

and a frog frog.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

There used to be a pull-down list, at the bottom of every page, which would jump directly to a selected forum. I found that nice, since I might be reading some threads in the General forum, and decide to suddenly go to the Northeast forum, without having to navigate a jumble of backward links.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

I agree Azog, that pull down was convenient and I'm sorry to see it go.

I also agree that the new profile page stinks. No avatar, no find and hide counts. Besides, it looks like it took my profile from some time ago, rather than my latest one.

"An appeaser is one who keeps feeding a crocodile-hoping it will eat him last" -Winston Churchill

Weird . . some of my posts have one of my old avatars on it (the guy with forks over his eyes). Ok . . I'm just posting this to see which one it uses this time. icon_wink.gif

Interesting setup . . It'll take a while to get used to, but I'm sure I'll adapt.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

The Pull down list is now on the little house icon at the top and bottom of each page http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/infopop/images3/misc/breadcrumb_forum.gif . Just click it and you will see them. The globe icon has the "new since your last visit" link.

Hmmm, I don't know if this is good or bad, but under Netscape 4.8, everything still looks like the old forum. No new icons, Azog's dropdown menu is still here, no tabs, no java stuff....

Pretty much the only thing different is the geocaching icon is in the top right corner now.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Things are getting a little weird...

All of a sudden, my former login (1000111-1000101-1001111) has re-appeared in the forum postings even on the posts written as -=(GEO)=-.

It also seems like the number of posts for a given user got mangled too.

Otherwise, from a cosmetic standpoint, the new forums are nice except for this icon which is just too loud when repeated so much: flag_on.gif

What happened to the user profiles? It's no longer showing the same info, especially found/hidden.

82972_1100.jpg

[This message was edited by -=(GEO)=- on March 28, 2003 at 06:29 AM.]

I'm finding that topics with many posts have been truncated and the most recent posts are gone.

In one example, a thread that has been posted to on a daily basis was truncated back to October! Lots of valuable information was lost!

Am I missing something or what?

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

Just seeing what my post count is now. I didn't have that many to begin with. Also wanted to make sure my avatar was working. Let's see...

Update: It shows 28 posts. I know I had at least 50 and I only started posting the end of 2002. Avatar still works!

quote:
Originally posted by JetSkier:

Update: It shows 28 posts. I know I had at least 50 and I only started posting the end of 2002. Avatar still works!

Don't worry, seems everyone's numbers got rolled back a bit.

I see the option for "Notify me of New Posts by welch". Is this something new? Or have I always been able to spy on people? icon_razz.gif

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
Hmmm. Why isn't this thread under the geocaching.com forum?

Because a lot more people visit this one. There is a similar one over there.

Why isn't there just one big forum for everything then? icon_wink.gif

*Second attempt* This is going to take some getting used to, but might be very cool.

<rant>

COOL?! Cool is why my son needs new basketball shoes every month. COOLis why my daughter's boyfriend has his tongue pierced. COOL costs me money! But with the new forums, the reply box is very nice! COOL!<ranting commercial>

quote:
Originally posted by -=(GEO)=-:

What happened to the user profiles? It's no longer showing the same info, especially found/hidden.

Ick, you're right! It goes to some forum-specific profile. I complain about this particular change.

The other options when you click a username are interesting, though.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

I like how it looks. The only thing I am missing is when I click on a person's profile I don't see the list of the various hides and finds for that person. Am I just blind and don't see it or is it really missing? Other than that I think everything looks great. I hope the rest of the site gets the same sort of make over and soon.

eww!

Ick!

It's ugly!!!!

And it's hard to read. Gimme back the old formatting and keep the new features.

My eyes hurt now...

AND I'M NOT MALE!!

X is for X, and X marks the spot, On the rug in the parlor, The sand in the lot, Where once you were standing, And now you are not.

HEY!!!!

My profile says that I am a male too!!!

I also can't seem to change it. The page to set it up shows all the old info, but when I update it, nothing changes when the profile is clicked on here.

I don't care for the profile format at all! But hopefully it will all get fixed!

pokeanim3.gif

I want to thank Elias for his hard work. He's been working on getting the forums moved over to a dedicated box for around 8 months without losing the 2 1/2 years of discussion topics. 8 months! And the result has been some minor irritations but otherwise intact forums.

The profiles you see are the actual UBBx profile, which should point back to the Geocaching.com site. We're initiating a bug report to the folks at Infopop so they can fix it. Apparently you can still click on the "who's online" usernames and it will take you directly to the correct profile page.

I appreciate design comments like the flag is too loud. It's my fault for having overzealous designs on the page. I'll try to subdue the flags though I think it's a neat addition. If you're logged in they will gray out when you are caught up on the topics (if you're logged in).

Some patience please, but keep the bug reports coming. Elias is currently working on a list to send to Infopop.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I'm not sure if this is a bug but at the top of the screen where it says Hello XXXXXXX I get Hello Jennifer instead of Hello Jennifer&Dean. How does it know that I am online in teh forums and Dean isn't? icon_smile.gif

AMAZING! The changes are happening as I watch!

-Jennifer

According to his or her personal experience, each person must decide by himself or herself where they have been. Always for me the most important thing is not where the others have gone but the experience lived through.-Reinhold Messner

And thanks for Jeremy and Elias for being understanding.

• If Markwell can live with broken markwells, everyone else should be able to. It gives you all a chance to use the search feature and practice markwelling.
  • We went through a knee-jerk hating of the "new forums last Feburary (2002). That soon quieted down as people got really used to the new look
Complain about bugs. If something is broken, they'll try to fix it, I'm sure. But don't expect everything to immediately be utopian. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching