Cameras in Caches

crash23

The cold is fine. Normally, you should worry about condensation on the film and lens if you are bringing the camera from a cold environment to a warmer environment, but that really isn't the case with a Geocache.

Heat would be more of a problem. Cold actually helps to preserve the film. Film is much more vulnerable to heat damage. Forget about leaving one of those things in direct sunlight.

Good question, I'm glad to know the answer because I'm getting ready to place my first cache here in Michigan and was considering putting a throw away camera in it.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Heat does cause film to get strange color casts over time. These can often be corrected for in processing. I presume that a cache camera is going to be a disposable type, in this case your probably not really worried about getting professional quality images, any image will be fine.

For the cold, film can be frozen to all it to keep longer but it also becomes more britel. Its possible that frozen film could be dammaged when the camera is wound on. Perhaps a note to tell users of the camera to be carefull when winding on the film or tell them to put the camera in their pocket for ten mins to warm it up before they use it. Then again... if you told them to do this I bet people would accidedntly walk off with it icon_smile.gif

Tony

You don't need to worry about the cold affecting the color of your pictures. The only things cold could do is cause condensation if it's warmed up quickly or break if it's really cold and really brittle.

On the upside of the breaking part, disposable (one time use) cameras roll film into the film canister, so if it does break you'll only lose a couple pictures when the film is attached to the leader card for processing.

Extreme heat can cause bad color shifts. Most of the time they can be corrected by a decent lab, but sometimes you're just out of luck.

Just don't worry about exposure problems due to the temperature. Worry more about getting the camera back. icon_smile.gif

Here is a link to pictures taken from a camera in a cache we hid on 9/7/2001, left thru-out the winter months in Rhode Island and picked up in May of 2002 and developed. They seem ok to us. Cameras are cool. We are still waiting to see a picture of us from one of several cameras in caches we have found! It is quite exciting to re-visit a cache you have placed, pick up the camera, get it developed and see some user names matched with faces. Writing this I recall Benchmark and his golden dollars and finally matching a face with the name.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=51018&L=351210

I was thinking about posting the pics from my last cache camera, but I wondered how many of the cachers would not want their picture on the site. Did you ask each cacher for permission? Also, how did you correlate the usernames with the pics for people that didn't log their pic number on the site or in the log?

Anyone else that might have experience with this issue, please let us know!

quote:
Originally posted by BusBoy:

I was thinking about posting the pics from my last cache camera, but I wondered how many of the cachers would not want their picture on the site. Did you ask each cacher for permission? Also, how did you correlate the usernames with the pics for people that didn't log their pic number on the site or in the log?

Anyone else that might have experience with this issue, please let us know!

The act of taking the picture implicitly gives the cache owner permission to post the picture. After all, that's why the camera's there. If they don't want their picture posted, they shouldn't take the picture. In the vernacular of the day, "DUH".

3608_1400.gif

My "Duh" wasn't aimed at you, but to anyone who would think that they had a case to complain about their picture being posted. That's kind of like running for office, and then complaining that someone printed your name on the ballot.

As for trying to attach names to pictures, it's almost impossible to do it 100%. I ask people to try to include the frame number in their on line post. I put a laminated card in the ziplog with the camera that states:

Please take a picture of yourself, and return the camera to the cache box. For best results, use the flash, even in daylight. If possible, try to include the frame number used on your Internet log entry.

When I upload the pictures, I include the frame number as part of the image name.

Oh, and a word of warning about flash cameras. Some have button you depress to charge the flash, and some have a switch or lever you move into place. Avoid the latter! If they forget to turn off the flash, it will drain the battery. I like the Kodak MAX cameras, or the REI flash disposables (when you can find them in stock).

3608_1400.gif