Executive presentation of geocaching?

Guest ClayJar

Guest ClayJar

Okay, here's the thing. I know of a couple places that could theoretically be excellent sites for caches (especially in the extremely cache-deprived state of Louisiana where I live), but being local park service lands, I'd like to approach them and get their approval (and optimistically speaking, perhaps even their explicit support).

What I need is an executive presentation to give them about geocaching. I'm a computer guy who has a chemical engineering degree, so PR isn't exactly my forte; I could work something up myself, but I need it to be very well done. If someone here can at least help me gather enough info together and help write up a "geocaching portfolio", I'm sure it wouldn't just help me.

I don't know everyone else's situation, but since my local park commission has two sets of mountain bike trails (which are quite well maintained), a velodrome, an RC-car track, an observatory (jointly run with the local university), an exceptional disc golf course, horse trails, and all sorts of other things, I think they just might be open to adding geocaching to the list.

The important thing is that I want to be able to explain what geocaching is and why they should support it, and I want to be able to let them support it (and if they want, they can list the parks that are geocaching-compatible and those that other sports preclude from geocaching).

Anyway, so does anyone want to help work up a geocaching portfolio/presentation? It might not be useful everywhere, but in the geocaching-starved area I live, it would be wonderful to be able to get the powers that be to support geocaching (actively or passively). The more officially-sanctioned geocaches we can get, the stronger the game will be.

(And who knows, if enough places start supporting geocaching, maybe the NPS will consider ways of getting involved with the game... like putting up bear-proof cache-stands in their parks for people to sign logbooks and pick up neat flyers about all the local flora and fauna. Wouldn't that be cool.)

Guest Hawk-eye

approach ... after reading a bunch of negative postings from whinny types ... it's really nice to see some one taking a positive proactive approach to this ... Best of Luck! Boy ... if there is anything I can do ... let me know ... I have some photos of interesting caches ... confluences ... I have some skills in graphic presentations ... let me know ... I'm sure someone out there has something that you could use ... just looking at some of the personal websites some folks have include geocaching in ... not to mention mulitple news articles on the game!

Guest Guppy

If it costs $$$ to get in to the park, then they should like the geocaching idea in that regard alone. Geocaching=more $$$. Plus geocachers should be "good" earth people and take out others' litter.

Guppy

Guest BGSkierNC

Clayjar,

I am fairly new to this hobby but would be willing to help answer any questions that you have for your presentation. E-mail me at BGSkierNC@yahoo.com .

To the others:

I've been reading some recent posts here about getting permission from NPS and state agencies and the like. I am willing to help out locally on this issue because I'm having fun at this (new to me) hobby.

I'm in Charlotte, NC. E-mail me at BGSkierNC@yahoo.com .

Guest Artful Dodger

It sure is refreshing to have a good, positive vibe on this board for a change ... icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your quest and best of luck.

Dodger

Guest Artful Dodger

It sure is refreshing to have a good, positive vibe on this board for a change ... icon_smile.gif

Good luck with your quest and best of luck.

Dodger

Guest Markwell

Unfortunately, unless someone specifically seeks an audience with the NPS, they've ruled that they specifically do NOT want Geocaches on their land (this was discussed in another forum, but I don't have the energy to look it up icon_wink.gif

Other than that, it would be GREAT to have a source pamphlet to hand over to Park District or Forest Preserve offices (PDF?) complete with photos, anectdotes and references.

We could incorporate the history of Letterboxing in Britain (to show that 10K+ letterboxes have NOT destroyed the wildlife at Dartmoor), the removal of Selective Availability, refence to articles in news publications (USA Today is doing a story in my area), and even some of Moun10Bike's growth charts.

Nice idea! Now the Little Red Hen says, "Who will help me cut the wheat?"

Guest Markwell

Unfortunately, unless someone specifically seeks an audience with the NPS, they've ruled that they specifically do NOT want Geocaches on their land (this was discussed in another forum, but I don't have the energy to look it up icon_wink.gif

Other than that, it would be GREAT to have a source pamphlet to hand over to Park District or Forest Preserve offices (PDF?) complete with photos, anectdotes and references.

We could incorporate the history of Letterboxing in Britain (to show that 10K+ letterboxes have NOT destroyed the wildlife at Dartmoor), the removal of Selective Availability, refence to articles in news publications (USA Today is doing a story in my area), and even some of Moun10Bike's growth charts.

Nice idea! Now the Little Red Hen says, "Who will help me cut the wheat?"

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Try the demographics from my post "Were you a Scout, military or...

and the one abot general demographics.

I got this as a VERY general median...

36, Male married, Scouting and military background. I presented the following to my local Chamber of Commerce as well, ( I live in a summer resort area) 'computer- literate, willing to drive 100 miles for a view and a yo-yo after spending at least $100 on a GPS'. I have permission to cache on town conservation areas now. AND I have free maps and gift certificates from local business.

Often the quality of the product will sell it's self.

Best of luck (y'all)

Guest Snowtrail

Just a note about the entrance fees for parks, most of the time there are instated becuase the parks have high volume, and it's a way to reduce the number of traffic/people inside the park. I don't know of any park who could be supported by entrance fees alone.

I'm stashing a "non-impact" cache next weekend in a state park. Non-impact, because it is counting a number of boards on an already established bridge over an existing trail - no off trail hunt necessary.