HELP!! What should I do?

Guest E=Mc2

I have been introduced to this great sport through Wheresgeorge(www.wheresgeorge.com) that tracks bills. Saw a post about geocaching and have been hooked since. Now just today I received a hit( a bill was entered that I entered first) that I put in a cache that since has disappeared. It was a cache placed at Rehoboth Beach!. I am thinking that maybe it just took a while for someone to enter the bill. On the other hand I am sort of hoping that the cache has been found again. So far no new enteries, it has been put in the archives. Just wondering what others may think of this. Also how many out there have found a "Wild George" or know what I am talking about?

I was contacted about helping with a newspaper story about geocaching, just hoping to be able to help with it next week.

Peace and Have Fun!!!!

E=Mc2

Guest Markwell

Cache do have a life span. They may be very long as evidenced by one we have around here (almost every cacher makes the same comment: This one will be around for more than 100 years.).

It sounds to me like the cache the Where's George bill was in got plundered or archived. No one knows the reason except the cache owner. Plundered? Some non-Geocaching ne'r-d0-well happened upon a box and said "Look! Free Money," plundered the box and passed it along - eventually spending the $.

Archived by owner? Not really in a good spot and the rangers asked him/her to move it. (In my best Boo-Boo Bear Voice: "The Ranger wouldn't like it Yogi.") The cache was archived and the cache owner isn't interested in Where's George, but someone else who got it is.

Why worry? There's tons of Dollar Bills out there - and, as evidenced by the fact that this morning's new cache list on the front page was dealing with caches with a sequential ID number of 6,949, I don't think there's a shortage of caches. icon_wink.gif

Guest Markwell

Cache do have a life span. They may be very long as evidenced by one we have around here (almost every cacher makes the same comment: This one will be around for more than 100 years.).

It sounds to me like the cache the Where's George bill was in got plundered or archived. No one knows the reason except the cache owner. Plundered? Some non-Geocaching ne'r-d0-well happened upon a box and said "Look! Free Money," plundered the box and passed it along - eventually spending the $.

Archived by owner? Not really in a good spot and the rangers asked him/her to move it. (In my best Boo-Boo Bear Voice: "The Ranger wouldn't like it Yogi.") The cache was archived and the cache owner isn't interested in Where's George, but someone else who got it is.

Why worry? There's tons of Dollar Bills out there - and, as evidenced by the fact that this morning's new cache list on the front page was dealing with caches with a sequential ID number of 6,949, I don't think there's a shortage of caches. icon_wink.gif

The person who entered the bill said that they got it from the cache. So the person knows all about geocaching. The reason why I posted was because the cache was listed as missing a few weeks ago. It WAS archive but now I wonder if it has been found.

When reading your post I was wondering if you read the whole original entry, but it just might be the way I am reading your entry.

Guest Markwell

No, I read your full post, just didn't understand it clearly.

Why not e-mail the cache owner and see what was done with the physical cache? Did s/he leave it out there, archiving the cache based on multiple reports that people couldn't find it? Or did s/he go out to the site to confirm that the cache wasn't there.

Either way, contact the owner and gather more info. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Markwell

No, I read your full post, just didn't understand it clearly.

Why not e-mail the cache owner and see what was done with the physical cache? Did s/he leave it out there, archiving the cache based on multiple reports that people couldn't find it? Or did s/he go out to the site to confirm that the cache wasn't there.

Either way, contact the owner and gather more info. icon_biggrin.gif