out of state caches

Guest puma

This is for all, but I am particularily interested to find out from Jeremy. How many times have each of you visited a cache out of state or country? Also curious to see what the longest distance you have traveled to seek out a cache.

Guest jeremy

Hopefully the person who vacationed in Australia will pipe up, or the one who visited Iceland, or Belize, etc. There are quite a few dropped off over a vacation, or visited (as in the case of Australia). There's a world travelling candle in a cache somewhere in the US right now.

I've gone as far as Colorado from Washington State, which isn't that far. I have relatives back east so I'll go even farther, but I doubt I'll be hitting any out of the country any time soon.

Jeremy

Guest Moun10Bike

I am currently in England for two weeks for work, and hope to hit a cache or two while I'm here. I've stashed in two states - Idaho and Washington - but only searched so far in WA.

Guest vwBob

i live in Cleveland, Ohio and will be visiting a few caches on the coast of North and South Carolina in June! i think its like 800 miles. of course, this is our vacation too icon_smile.gif

------------------

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

... look for the green bus!

Guest vwBob

i live in Cleveland, Ohio and will be visiting a few caches on the coast of North and South Carolina in June! i think its like 800 miles. of course, this is our vacation too icon_smile.gif

------------------

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

... look for the green bus!

Guest CaptHawke

My etrex says that the cache I planted while vacationing in the Florida Everglades last week (447 Lane Bay, GC413) is 1330 miles away at a bearing of 223.

Guest Paul Lamble

Well, so far, all of the caches I've found (6) have been out of state, but that's because I live on the Kansas side of Kansas City and all of the local caches are on the Missouri side.

I'm going to Washington D.C. over spring break with the kids, and there is a cache there I hope to find. I think just about any time I am going anywhere and can budget in a little time, I'll determine which caches are there and plan on seeking some of them.

Guest Markwell

I have an idea for Jeremy that I'd like to see on the website (if possible)...

Summer vacations are coming up, and I'd love to see a state map version of the various caches. We already group the caches by state, I was wondering how hard it would be to place a map of each state/provice with the general location of logged caches with a dot for each. That way my family could see on a broader sense if there were caches on our proposed path.

What thinkest thou?

Guest jeremy

Well, I am testing a mapping system now. Please no comments on changes to the map as this is just something I'm fiddling with at the moment.

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/maps.asp

We'll definitely have something more robust come spring. The fear I have with this application is it may not be robust enough for the traffic we get on the site. I'm hoping to have something more permanent soon.

Jeremy

Guest Markwell

OUTSTANDING!!!! I thought that this was going to be something that would take weeks of development - and you post this message literally minutes after mine! GREAT JOB - and I think the maps are VERY useful.

Necessity may be the mother of Invention, but Ingenuity is the father.

Guest bob_renner

The map is GREAT. It was always hard before to pick out which caches were near an area where you were visiting especially if it was not near home. This makes it a snap to pick out caches near a vacation area.

Now if we could just have it color coded according to the user's logged visits. Or am I asking for too much???

Bob Renner

Guest Markwell

HEY! Jeremy said "no comments" - so I was holding back. But if we ARE going to comment, wouldn't you rather have it that you could click on the marker on the state map and go to that cache's page? But, as I said, I'm holding back, so I won't make that comment yet.

;-)

Guest jeremy

quote:
wouldn't you rather have it that you could click on the marker on the state map and go to that cache's page?[/b]

It does that already. It's an imagemap.

Jeremy

Guest Bryan

GREAT MAP(S)! I know.....I suck. But anyway.....here is the comment......Make the maps bigger. In the Chicago area the caches overlap. This is going to be very helpfull for Camping / Geocaching trips this summer!

Hey guys - also pay attention to the "Amazon Honor System" Banner to help Jeremy with the upkeep of this site. If you can spare a few I am sure this will help offset the overhead! Bryan