Oddest/Coolest thing you found while searching for a cache

umc

I know this has been done before but to the extent that it was coolest or weirdest thing found in a cache. I want to know what was found on the way to or from a cache.

For me and starters I have found a Boat House (Ask Cashew Nut)

Today I was sitting at a cache site and writing in the log when I heard some noise behind me. I looked over my shoulder to find nothing. Heard more noise and looked again and saw a Yellow Lab heading in my direction. Thinking that his owner was right behind I covered everything up and acted like I was taking care of my business and that was that. After a bit I did not see any owner and the dog (Montana) kept hanging around me. I told him to sit and he did. As he did that I finished my log posting. After that Montana was still around so I decided to tie some rope I had to his collar and walked him to me truck. I tried calling the number on his collar but had no luck. I took Montana to the office where they had a kennel and knew who Montana was along with his owners. I guess he was a regular to the park. So that is where I left him.

I thought it was a really cool experience and a really cool dog. Like I said I know this has been done before to an extent but would like to know about others great experiences on their way to or from a cache.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Bitter New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

From a post by Jackrabbit on his Three Monsters find.Hope he doesn't mind me posting this.

"August 25 by jackrabbit (15 found)

Thursday Aug 22nd, 2002-

My 3 yr old son, my 78 yr old father in law, and myself came here at dusk to scout the area to see if it would be a good place to bring the family back to geocache. I was surprised to find a man (55+/- yrs old) coming out of the woods with a large blood hound dog wearing nothing but his tennis shoes. Thank goodness I was the only one to see him in all his glory. If you come here at dusk, and there is a purple mini van parked in the parking area, proceed with caution." icon_redface.gif

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

From a post by Jackrabbit on his Three Monsters find.Hope he doesn't mind me posting this.

"August 25 by jackrabbit (15 found)

Thursday Aug 22nd, 2002-

My 3 yr old son, my 78 yr old father in law, and myself came here at dusk to scout the area to see if it would be a good place to bring the family back to geocache. I was surprised to find a man (55+/- yrs old) coming out of the woods with a large blood hound dog wearing nothing but his tennis shoes. Thank goodness I was the only one to see him in all his glory. If you come here at dusk, and there is a purple mini van parked in the parking area, proceed with caution." icon_redface.gif

You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

Not into it myself, but felt I had to remove it... Pot! Also found a (NEW!)condom, but not in that same cache icon_wink.gif

But, quite honestly, the coolest treasure I ever aquired was one of Moun10Bike's GeoCoins (#91).

I kinda cheated to get it though.. I had someone bring it to one of my own caches when she was in town (thanks again LindaLu!), and I took it out not more than an hour later icon_biggrin.gif

-fractal

Not into it myself, but felt I had to remove it... Pot! Also found a (NEW!)condom, but not in that same cache icon_wink.gif

But, quite honestly, the coolest treasure I ever aquired was one of Moun10Bike's GeoCoins (#91).

I kinda cheated to get it though.. I had someone bring it to one of my own caches when she was in town (thanks again LindaLu!), and I took it out not more than an hour later icon_biggrin.gif

-fractal

Today while going to look for a cache I stopped to look for a 1923 PRIM TRAV STA no 8 LS MO.and metal detected with no luck I have looked for this mark several times, the White River floods the area once in a great while,this was the Old Post Office location,I was discouraged that all I could find was alum. cans, while walking back to the truck,I had forgotten to turn the detector off and was walking down the old river bed and the detector went wild, I looked down and found several gold looking nuggets,and several large crystals, one black, I am into lapidary and have never till today found a black crystal. The nuggets range from small to about a half ounce. I will do some tests on them soon. the clear crystals are very extrordinary as well.This is an historical place known by the outlaws,and traveled as well.

Tetrahedron in a sphere=GEOID=Perfect Pyramid. On all Planets there is a Geometric disturbance at 19.5 degrees!!!

A user posted this on my McDowell Creek cache near sweet home, OR:

>>Upon further exploration of the area, my friend and I stumbled across a pair of photographers taking pictures of an extremely comely young lass wearing nothing but a g-string and a red, white, and blue spangled bikini top. I think the top was about to come off before we sent her scurrying for cover. The things you come across while wandering around in the woods. Wow!<<

Obviously, i wish that had been the day for cache maintenance.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Alcohol.

A micro bottle of Glenfiddich Whisky (untampered with, seal unbroken) in a cache in an area that is very popular with families.

Of course, I had no option than to remove the bottle, and, um, dispose of the contents icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, I tipped the contents into the bushes, and threw the bottle into the bin at the car park, but it makes me feel better to imagine that, just for once, I got a free drink.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

After that Montana was still around so I decided to tie some rope I had to his collar and walked him to me truck. I tried calling the number on his collar but had no luck. I took Montana.

So what was your log entry?

Log: Great cache! Left dirty golf ball. Took adult dog.

dyslexics of the world, untie.

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Quest:

Byron's Famous Stump Pin. I wear it proudly on my backpack.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

icon_biggrin.gif

Thank You! Thank You! and Thank You.

Byron

[This message was edited by Byron & Anne on October 10, 2002 at 09:00 PM.]

[This message was edited by Byron & Anne on October 11, 2002 at 06:23 AM.]

We were looking for a cache today in Olympia Fields,Illinois called America Cache (GC69B3). We did not find the cache(probably gone), but we did find a brand new Suitcase in a plastic bag with the price sticker still on it from the T.J.Maxx store. We called the police on the cell phone and had them pick it up. Hopefully it will get back to the store it belongs to. camp637

I find a tampon (new) in many of my caches when I do maintenace. Nobody ever mentions leaving it in the log, but it appears to be someone's signature item.

I think that's odd.

As far as the oddest thing I've found during a cache hunt, it was the ball portion of a titanium hip implant. I'm trying to figure out a way to turn it into a travel bug, but there is no way to attach the tag.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

As long as it is still in a hermetically sealed wrapper. Men just have no idea about how that calendar date either sneaks up on you or changes when ever you aren't "packing paper" and are 3 hours from the closest store.

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.

quote:
Originally posted by ikayak:

As long as it is still in a hermetically sealed wrapper. Men just have no idea about how that calendar date either sneaks up on you or changes when ever you aren't "packing paper" and are 3 hours from the closest store.

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.

So let me get this straight - in general US cachers don't approve of eating wrapped candy found in a cache, or even feeding the dog a biscuit, but using a tampon is OK ? icon_razz.gif

Guess I can't use these forums to provide rules to get through life with. Oh well, back to common sense then... icon_wink.gif

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

As far as the oddest thing I've found during a cache hunt, it was the ball portion of a titanium hip implant. I'm trying to figure out a way to turn it into a travel bug, but there is no way to attach the tag.

My grandmother has had several hips due to bicycle/car accident when she was young. She has saved them all and often has one on a shelf for a conversation piece. On more than one occasion, a man would pick it up and ask "what kind a trailer ball is this?"! As soon as she would tell them just what it was, they'd put it downquickly! icon_biggrin.gif

We all have mental problems, it's just that some of us choose to show them.

quote:
So let me get this straight - in general US cachers don't approve of eating wrapped candy found in a cache, or even feeding the dog a biscuit, but using a tampon is OK ?

The issue here isn't really whether the cache item would be edible (Though I'd certainly hesitate to eat something that's been sitting in a cache for who knows how long).

The issue is that food items in caches, including dog biscuts, attract animals and make the cache susceptible to being destroyed, or torn apart by them.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

quote:
So let me get this straight - in general US cachers don't approve of eating wrapped candy found in a cache, or even feeding the dog a biscuit, but using a tampon is OK ?

The issue here isn't really whether the cache item would be edible (Though I'd certainly hesitate to eat something that's been sitting in a cache for who knows how long).

The issue is that food items in caches, including dog biscuts, attract animals and make the cache susceptible to being destroyed, or torn apart by them.

It's just a joke. I understand the smell argument. The tampon thing just strikes me as amusing that's all. icon_smile.gif

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I had a Red Fox cross my path today only about 20-30 feet away while on my way to a cache. I was walking along the trail when I heard something to my right and I looked and sure enough it was a little Red Fox. Scared the crap out of me, I reached for my knife just incase he decided to head towards me then I thought should I grab a branch and just wait. I kept a hand on my knife and both eyes on the fox as I moved. He stopped for a second but then continued on toward the cache. (Oh great) I went about my way keeping an I out and when I got to the cache location he was long gone, thank goodness. Anyway that was something different than the squirrels and deer.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02