Airline travel

We just came back from a trip & had no problems with the airline. Used it for a little while on the plane, but the rules really didn't allow for it. My suggestion is to ask the flight attendant if you can use it, or just keep it in your bag & turned off for the duration of the flight.

Where in the nursery rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty is an egg?

Just having it in your carry-on bag shouldn't be a problem during scanning or during the flight. Airlines have their own rules about the use of GPSr's during the flight, so check the airline's magazine or information card to see their policy (or ask a flight attendant if you can't find the info.)

----

When in doubt, poke it with a stick.

I used mine on a cross-country flight. It was pretty neat seeing the speed of the plane and using the map to identify the towns and geographic features as we passed over them. My fun was cut short when the stewardess saw me using it and told me that they are not allowed. This was on American Airlines. From what I hear, others do allow their use.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

icon_mad.gif

First the airlines tell us that we can't use our cell phones because they want us to use the dolar a minute ones on the plane. I'm a pilot, and I can tell you for certain, that cell phones and CD players have absolutely NO effect on any aircraft avionics. IT IS A BIG LIE! The airlines get big bucks from the folks who installed phones in their planes, and they don't want to lose the profit that they generate, so they scare the public about "All electronic devices." It just isn't true.

Now they are telling us we can't use a GPSr! A GPSr is a recieve only radio that is completely innocuous! What are they afraid of? I think they have too much control over what I do when I'm PAYING to be on one of their planes.

C'mon folks we should stand up for the rights we have left, join together as a group, and make our voices known. We are not criminals, and we should stop letting the airlines tell us what we can and can't do. They already do too much of that as it is.

icon_wink.gif

Blue skies!

SkydiverDman

If at first you don't succeed, SKYDIVING NOT FOR YOU!

quote:
Originally posted by SkydiverDman:

icon_mad.gif

First the airlines tell us that we can't use our cell phones because they want us to use the dolar a minute ones on the plane. I'm a pilot, and I can tell you for certain, that cell phones and CD players have absolutely NO effect on any aircraft avionics. IT IS A BIG LIE! The airlines get big bucks from the folks who installed phones in their planes, and they don't want to lose the profit that they generate, so they scare the public about "All electronic devices." It just isn't true.

Now they are telling us we can't use a GPSr! A GPSr is a recieve only radio that is completely innocuous! What are they afraid of? I think they have too much control over what I do when I'm PAYING to be on one of their planes.

C'mon folks we should stand up for the rights we have left, join together as a group, and make our voices known. We are not criminals, and we should stop letting the airlines tell us what we can and can't do. They already do too much of that as it is.

icon_wink.gif

Blue skies!

SkydiverDman

$1/minute? Last flight I was on (Delta, about a month ago) it was a $3.99 connnection fee and $3.99/minute....which is just crazy, I can't imagine anything I need to talk about that is that important. Also as far as GPSr use, they allowed me to use it, but I got to thinking about the flights where they tell you that it's not allowed, or having to turn it off during takeoff/landing. Don't the pilots use GPSr's in the cockpit? Granted they're nothing like the comparatively cheap $200 handheld unit I have, but it's the same technology.

quote:

icon_mad.gif

snip..... have left, join together as a group, and make our voices known. We are not criminals, and we should stop letting the airlines tell us what we can and can't do. They already do too much of that as it is.

icon_wink.gif

Blue skies!

SkydiverDman

Hey! What's that supposed to mean!? icon_confused.gif

Seriously though, I have 5600+ hours in C141s, built in the early 60s, believe me, if those avionic aren't affected by recreational electronics, modern one surely won't. I've been on flights where we had a CD player and my GPS III+ running on the flight deck, and untold DVD, CD, laptops, and all manner of games running at the same time in the cargo compt. Guess what? NO DIFFERENT!

As for "asking permission" to use your GPS in-flight, my opinion is this: There are two kinds of people in the world; those who believe they can do nothing unless someone has given them permission, and those who believe they can anything that hasn’t been previously prohibited.

You see, if you ask and the person you are asking doesn’t know the answer, they will say NO because it takes additional effort to find out. If you just turn it on and use it, then it takes additional effort to tell you that you can’t use it.

Yes, the GPSr's in the cockpit use the exact same signal and same technology. The difference between yours and theirs is that theirs has to pass a bunch of additional FAA and other governmental standards that cost money to get certified for. That's basically the only difference!

As far as the fees that are charged for the use of those phones, you are probably right. I was underestimating as to not sound like I was exagerating. The funny thing about your current cell phone is, depending on your service provider it will work for the first ten thousand feet up into the atmosphere that you go. I once carried on a cell phone call for a good distance out of Miami on a flight back to DC, and only when we were quite high did the signal give out!

It makes me angry the same way that it does when the State of Virginia tells me that I can't use a radar detector. It's the same technology. It's just a radio signal RECEIVER and nobody should tell me that I cannot monitor those signals if I choose to!

Grrr!

icon_mad.gif

OK, I'll settle down now!

OK,

We're not ALL Criminals!

quote:

Seriously though, I have 5600+ hours in C141s, built in the early 60s, believe me, if those avionic aren't affected by recreational electronics, modern one surely won't. I've been on flights where we had a CD player and my GPS III+ running on the flight deck, and untold DVD, CD, laptops, and all manner of games running at the same time in the cargo compt. Guess what? NO DIFFERENT!

Holy Flight Time Batman! That's like flying 24/7 for 233.333 days!!!

You go boy! (or is that "Sir?") How totally cool is that.

Hey, Criminal, ever leave one of them planes on purpose that wasn't on fire? Leave it to a crazy bunch like us to turn an aircraft emergency proceedure into a SPORT!

icon_biggrin.gif

SkyDiverDman

I would take the GPSr along in my carry-on bag rather than in a checked-in bag. When you are strapped into your seat, pay attention to the flight attendants monologue before take-off. If they mention that GPSr's are not allowed, keep it in your bag. If there is no mention, go ahead and use it ten minutes after take-off. If it turns out it's not allowed, they will ask you to turn it off. I would not purposely bring it to their attention, they would probably tell you no, because that's easier for them to do.

quote:

Holy Flight Time Batman! That's like flying 24/7 for 233.333 days!!!

You go boy! (or is that "Sir?") How totally cool is that.

Hey, Criminal, ever leave one of them planes on purpose that wasn't on fire? Leave it to a crazy bunch like us to turn an aircraft emergency proceedure into a SPORT!

icon_biggrin.gif

SkyDiverDman

No, we're paid to stay inside. Most times we don't even have parachutes aboard, it's poor form to bailout and leave the pax behind. I have worn the back version many times, on the edge of the ramp with the cargo doors open while blasting along at 300 KCAS at 250'. The only prob is that if you fall out at that altitude, you'll splat about the same time the chute deploys.........

American doesn't allow them, so I tend to avoid American. The three airlines I've flown this year all specifically DO allow them: Southwest, United, and JetBlue.

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:

How strong a signal can you get on the plane? Any tips (besides the obvious of sticking it up in the window) as to maximize signal strength?

A few. Try to sit on the south side of the airplane. That way, if you can get the WAAS satellites they can be used as part of the solution. I move my unit around in the window to maximize the signal strengths; keeping it in the lower half often allows reception of satellites straight above.

Criminal writes:

quote:
suction cup antenna cable to stick the antenna to the window and place the GPS V on the table.

I can see you getting a LOT of attention if you stuck something to the window of an airliner, especially after the shoe bommer!

Have you ever had problems with uncomfortable fellow passengers, or leery flight attendants?

SkydiverDman icon_razz.gif

quote:

I can see you getting a LOT of attention if you stuck something to the window of an airliner, especially after the shoe bommer!

Have you ever had problems with uncomfortable fellow passengers, or leery flight attendants?

Everyone I've met has been real cool about it. We even velcroed my 3+ to the window once. At the end of the flight, we just pealed the tape off the window.

With my 3+, we have to sit by the right window (FO side). Otherwise, the antenna is blocked from receiving the best signal.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Just FYI about the phone thing... The real reason cell phones are a no-no is the wireless phone companies have difficulty charging for cell time on a plane (because of the limited time between stationary towers). I never actually attempted a cell phone call on a plane but I doubt it would be very useful anyway. Personally I appreciate the fact you can't use a cell phone on a plane, for courtesy sake.

I do agree that GPS usage on planes affecting navigation equipment is a crock. There are plenty of polcies out there that force a square peg in a round hole, or mask the true reason why they don't allow these devices on board. I'm sure the policy hasn't changed (about GPS) on some aircraft because no one has raised enough of a stink about it.

As for hauling it on a plane, it is always in my laptop backpack with my PDA and cables. No one has ever flinched, and the GPS works fine after 15+ flights.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

What really peeves me off is that you can't use your cell phone, or your gps receiver... but then you have those people that have laptops turned on with built in 802.11b playing against each other in games.

Hrmmm I can't use a receiver, but they can sit their and broadcast spread spectrum at 2.4ghz....

If they are going to police electronic devices maybe they should be given some ongoing education into identifying and recognizing them. I mean really, if they are *that* concerned about transmission of RF interferring with the planes instrumentation, it's a crucial job skill.

-zr

-----

If it ain't broke, I can *fix* that...

quote:
Originally posted by Lyra:

How strong a signal can you get on the plane?

I use a Meridian Gold and have found that it works well on the tray table in front of me. I have even had success sitting in the middle seat. I haven't had much luck getting it to work from an aisle seat, however I usually get the window seat that I request.

I was trying to find out from American whether of not they allow GPS. The respnse to my e-mail to Customer disservice told me to call reservations.

When I asked the reservations lady, her response was "Why would you want to do that?" in a very snotty tone.

After a while on hold, she told me that since GPSs are like cell phones and they use satellites, I couldn't use one. I tried to explain that they weren't the same, but she was very b-t-c-y about it, so I just hung up.

I'm again reminded of why I hate American Airlines.

quote:
I was trying to find out from American whether of not they allow GPS.

I was told by a stewardess on an American Airlines flight, that GPS's were not allowed to be used.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

When I flew to China I was in an aisle seat so periodically I would hand my Garmin EMap to the guy by the window to get a location. It turns out that we flew within 60 miles of the north pole. On the return trip we flew over Siberia and Alaska. I had created waypoints along the way both outbound and inbound. I then used them in a class when I taught latitude and longitude. I had the kids plot my trips on a globe (over the pole) and on a paper may (Siberia & Alaska).

I also created a track flying over the Ecuadorian jungle, flightseeing tour of Mt McKinley, Grand Canyon helicoptor tour, flying into Tonronto, etc. I always want to have it on. What I usually do if I am by the window is just put it against the window and hide it with my shoulder or jacket if possible.

quote:
When I flew to China I was in an aisle seat so periodically I would hand my Garmin EMap to the guy by the window to get a location . . . What I usually do if I am by the window is just put it against the window and hide it with my shoulder or jacket if possible.

Hey, what kind of unit do you have, and how do you rate your reception, and ability to maintain a lock in "difficult" conditions?

THANKS! And thanks for the great story.

Oh, and way to go, teaching those kids! It's great teachers like you that keep kids involved!

SkydiverDman

Just FYI about the phone thing... The real reason cell phones are a no-no is the wireless phone companies have difficulty charging for cell time on a plane (because of the limited time between stationary towers).

I want to ask why that makes any difference? If you use time on the network, it can be seen, and billed. This explanation doesn't make sense to me. Computer processors work much faster than any of us do anything, and even if you are only on for one minute, they will bill you. I KNOW, BECAUSE MY CALLS ARE ALWAYS GETTING DROPPED, AND THEY STILL BILL ME FOR THEM!

I never actually attempted a cell phone call on a plane but I doubt it would be very useful anyway.

I have made sevral calls on commercial airliners, (at or below 10K feet) as well as countless calls while flying as a pilot myself, and it works flawlessly. They are billed just as flawlessly too!

Further, why would the airlines care about a cell phone company that had technological limitations on it's own equipment? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Personally I appreciate the fact you can't use a cell phone on a plane, for courtesy sake.

I CAN'T ARGUE WITH THAT! When the plane reaches a certain altitude (varies with your service, and depends on where you are over that network) a cell phone won't work well, or at all. So you have no need to worry about the guy next to you having his cell phone ring at 35,000 feet and waking you up from your nap.

I'm sure the policy hasn't changed (about GPS) on some aircraft because no one has raised enough of a stink about it.

Well, I don't know about all you folks, but I took matters into my own hands, and wrote American Airlines this morning, and very politely and professionally pleaded our case. I would reccomend that all you (YEAH, YOU!) folks do the same. One voice may not be heard, but eventually, if enough people write, the word will get to the execs that make the policy.

I would suggest telling them that you are a regular AA passenger, and that you would like them to reconsider their policy, based on the fact that the radios do nothing more than pick up a signal that is already there. Suggest that other airlines do not prohibit this activity, and that their policy of restriction has become a significant factor in your choice of carriers.

Just one suggestion. . . icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone!

Blue Skies,

SkydiverDman

Most airlines allow it during cruise the same as PDA's and gameboy type equipment. See web page

I flew Delta and Jet Blue and had no problem although once the stewardes said I can't use my cell phone. Of course when I showed her the GPS she said no problem.

I keep my Vista on the edge of the lap table nearest the window and kept lock pretty good but the Velco idea sounds like a better idea.

I took my laptop but left my cable in the checked-in baggage- twice. Just a reminder.

Alan

My American Airlines adventures continue.

This time I called customer service directly. I reached another Customer Disservice agent who told me that no, GPS units are not allowed. When I asked why because United and others allow them after takeoff, she told me... "We don't allow any electronics THAT TERRORISTS MIGHT USE"

Huh? What? I was stunned into silence before I burst into laughter.

This is getting good, I think that I might just keep calling them purely for the free entertainment.

As I told you all a day or two ago, I sent a nice, polite email to American Airlines, (LIKE EVERYONE HERE, AND ALL YOUR MAMA'S, DADDIES, MAMA'S DADDIES, DADDIES' MAMA'S, BROTHERS, SISTERS, UNCLES, STEP-MOTHERS, STEP-FATHERS, COUSINS, CHILDREN ET AL SHOULD DO!!!) asking them to review their policy for the sake of our community, and in the name of being an open, tolerant and friendly business.

Sorry, hairball.

I explained that the GPSr is a benign "receive only" radio, and that it generates no transmission, nor is it capable of such. Also that it is very similar to the one that the flight crew is now using as a navigation aid. Theirs also, generates no transmission of any kind, so there would be no interference of any kind and that it was impossible for there to be any problem due to its use. As a follow up to my inquiry, American Airlines sent me the following response:

Dear Mr. Stevens:

Thank you for your e-mail message about the use of GPS equipment aboard our aircraft.

It is our opinion that such devices may radiate electronic pulses affecting the

aircraft's navigational or communications equipment. While the occurrence of

electronic disruptions in the cockpit are rare, they simply cannot be risked at any

time. For that reason, we do not allow our passengers to use GPS equipment on board.

We understand that you disagree, but we hope as one of our loyal passengers, you can

appreciate that our commitment to the safe operation of our flights is absolute.

Please give us the privilege of welcoming you aboard soon.

This is a "post-only" e-mail response. Please don't click "reply"; such messages

won't be immediately directed back to me. If you'd like to contact us again, please

do so via http://www.aa.com/customerrelations/, and we'll be back with you as soon as

possible.

More Room Throughout Coach, only on American Airlines

Sincerely,

Susan J. Hendrickson

Customer Relations

American Airlines

====================================

This is the reason that we must, all of us, write to AA and persuade them politely that they need to reconsider their policy, primarily due to the fact that GPS radios are completely harmless!

C'mon! Join the fight and make your voices heard!!!

icon_cool.gif

Even before owing a GPSr and thinking it would be cool to use on a plane. I guess the part I just never got is all of the devices that are banned. Things each and everyone of us probably owns. Can an AM/FM radio really cause problems? If so then what stops a couple of people from boarding a plane and turning them on with low volume and leaving them in the bags? Wouldn't this cause a problem? Or how about somebody sitting on a road near the end of a runway with some boomboxes in the back of the truck? If this is true the planes should be crashing left and right.

I guess the point is that if the equipment used on planes is so sensitive is it really safe? You gotta wonder if a $5 pocket radio is going to cause problems how about somebody with some real equipment that is shooting out radio signals from the ground on purpose. And hey how do planes fly over those 50,000 watts of power coming from my local Rock and Roll radio station?

Can anybody explain if all of these precautions are really necessary? Sure I guess it is easy for the airlines to say that there is a chance and they don't want to take any chances but man where does that end? Hey strapping everybody's feet and arms will cut down on chances of people getting up to hijack the plane but I don't think that will be happening. Is this just a case of the airlines making things easier on themselves and like every other part of the industry the consumer is mostly powerless to do anything about it? Do you think the business flying community would stand for one minute if they could not use their laptops?

I don't know it just has always seemed a little odd to me.

quote:
Originally posted by MaxEntropy:

I was trying to find out from American whether of not they allow GPS. The respnse to my e-mail to Customer disservice told me to call reservations.

When I asked the reservations lady, her response was "Why would you want to do that?" in a very snotty tone.

After a while on hold, she told me that since GPSs are like cell phones and they use satellites, I couldn't use one. I tried to explain that they weren't the same, but she was very b-t-c-y about it, so I just hung up.

I'm again reminded of why I hate American Airlines.

Ha! Thanks for the laugh - "GPSrs are like cell phones and they use satellites." By definition, a _cell_ phone doesn't use satellites. icon_razz.gif

Hmm, but now I wonder if satellite phones are allowed to be used on planes...

Everything else being darn-near equal, price, itinerary, food and swishy flight attendants, I just might pick my next transcontinental flight based on their GPS policy.

I'd love to plug my GPS unit into my laptop and let my kids (and me for that matter) watch the track of the plane over the country. They can identify those rivers and cities and mountains as we pass them. The GPS gives us speed, altitude and most important, an ETA. It would help pass the time without having to pop $2.00 for the lousy headphones or $20.00 for beer.

Bye American Airlines. Happy landings.

I was on a flight last week to England on US Airways with my ETrex and had no problems. I turned it off in take off and landing, and only had it on when "electronic devices" were approved for use. Ironically, cell phones were still not permitted during the flight.

I did not ask for permission. I did get tired of holding it against the window, so I put it inside the window cover. The Etrex was small enough to slide betwen the glass and the window cover.

We went over Greenland on the way back. I wish I had set waypoints on the way back (doh!).

Personally, I carried my GPS with me in case my checked was stolen.

Geocaching Carolinas

All right all you crazy GPSr using criminals! (Criminal, you are exempt by double indemnity!) I'm going on a flight this week (details to come AFTER!) and I'm going to take my two GPSr's. I will try being open on the first leg, and asking permission, and not on the second leg, and we'll see what happens. I have called multiple times to my appointed airline, and have gotten as many different answers, as phone calls, even though the supposed "official" policy is that they do allow them onboard, and for use during "cruise" flight.

Wish me luck!

icon_wink.gificon_cool.gif