Instant Stump about to have 1 year Aniversary !!!

CaptainLeno, your stump idea inspired me to create a stump of our own for the first cache we ever hid and it's enjoyed a LOT of success! Stumpy (as we refer to it) has had it's picture taken with lots of the folks who found it everyone has enjoyed being surprised when they figured out what it was.

Only ran into one problem and that was either something that gnawed on the foam or someone accidentally stepped on it and we had to take it in for some repair work a little while back. All things rectified, Stumpy is back in action!

Thank you for such a creative idea....hope you come up with more!

Wendy & Darrell

The Beans

(see our cache, Stumpy's Wildwood Stash, for photos of Stumpy

I saw the original stump in October and I just had to copy it. I have two instant stumps released into the wild. Both are built around 3 pound coffee cans. I have another built on a 5 gallon food-grade bucket that I haven't placed yet. Looking for the right application. That one took two cans of "instant stump". FWIW, I also use PVC pipe with threaded end caps painted in camoflage colors and ammo boxes.

They've all been found and I've received some interesting comments on them.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by The KGB:

Is there anyway you could post the instructions or maybe email them?

This is how I did mine...

Find a suitable container. I've found that coffee cans and food-grade plastic pails work well. I've seen people use 4 inch PVC as well.

Wash the outer surfaces and get them dry.

Paint the container with a flat paint. Flat black, camo brown, or camo olive green are good choices.

Purchase a can of "expanding sealer" from your local building supply or general store. This is the stuff you use to fill the gaps in your home where pipes and electrical conduit pierce the walls. It comes in an aerosol can in several thicknesses. If you want small, narrow lines like for a PVC pipe or coffee can, choose the less thick. If you want big lines, like for the 5 gallon pail, use the thicker variety.

Put the nozzle in the expanding foam can and start "drawing" lines of foam from the top of the container to the bottom. I found that it doesn't stick the the container very well at first, so I have to hold the container horizontally. Note how far the foam expands. Then, start drawing lines so that the lines intersect a little.

After you've drawn all the lines around the container, swirl some around the top so that the top is covered well (2-3 inches).

Let dry a day or so.

Make sure your lid has a way to attach if you are using this to contain your cache. If it is just to cover the cache, don't worry.

Using a hand saw, cut the top of the foam off the container, so that it looks like a ragged saw cut. It's kinda messy, so shake out all the crumbly parts.

Put a two base coats of camo paint in the color of your habitat. Let these dry several hours each.

Use spray paint in a variety of dull earth tone shades to camoflage your container. Try to avoid a lot of straight lines.

Paint the top of the container in a lighter shade. Remember, it's supposed to be the inside of a tree.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg