placed around here, is everyone using these

things or is it just this area. Personally I

don't like them. They only have a small rolled

up log and are very easy to loose. Give me your

thoughts. I vote for ammo boxes and decent sized

plastic containers.

Team Madapple

West Baden, IN

Exploring the world,,,one Cache at a time !!!!!

quote:
If you don't like micros, don't search for them ... and don't hide them.

Although I'm not a fan of micros, I realize that there are some people who enjoy them. This is why there are a number of micro caches included among my hides. I try to place caches to suit as many types of geocachers as possible.

If I hid only the kind of caches I like to find, they'd all be in the woods at the end of a nice, long and strenuous hike (and they would get maybe 5-6 visits a year).

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on February 11, 2003 at 08:36 AM.]

I much prefer standard size caches to micros. Micros do have their place in areas such as urban parks, where a standard sized cache would be difficult to conceal. They also work well as the preliminary stages of a multi cache.

I think the major reason for their popularity is that they take little in the way of preparation and it isn't necessary to put a lot of thought into hiding them.

What I really dislike though, is when a micro is used in an area where a standard cache would work just fine. I don't like searching the forest for the "needle in the haystack".

quote:
Originally posted by Team Madapple:

... Give me your thoughts. I vote for ammo boxes and decent sized plastic containers.

The solution is both elegant and simple:

Read the cache description. If you don't like micros, don't search for them ... and don't hide them.

And for cryin' out loud, will everyone stop belly-achin' about how others decide to hide their caches.

You obviously have not experienced a good micro Bri.. I take pride in my micro's... Before I place a cache, regardless, micro or normal, I carefully think out the reason for the cache, then I research the topic, I.e. I go to the library and find out a little bit about what the micro is going to be about. Then I carefully compose my cache page with a bunch of good information which I hope will give my fellow cachers a little bit of history and to educate them on their adventure to find the cache.

I have been on some mirco's that have been no brainers. I.e. Here's the cache, and try and find where I dropped this micro. Personaly, I do not like these types of caches but I hunt them none the less. The people who place these types of micro's obviously are the people you are talking about.

So before you pass judgement on all micro's you first need to experience a good micro. Here are just a couple, and I hope you see how micro's can be just as compelling to find as the larger containers.

Labyrinth

Frozen In Time

Touch and Go

CopyCat #1

A Beautiful Mind" Part V Confluence Conundrum

A Beautiful Mind" Part I

Worldly Reflection

icon_cool.gif One additonal note. icon_cool.gif After 10 or so regular caches, I find that a micro is a lot easier to maintain. Normally I stuff my regular caches with quality items. However, cachers do not tend to exchange items of equal value so I get junk in my containers which I have to weed out and replace. If cachers would do an equal exchange, I.e. good items in, good items out, then I probably would hide a lot more larger caches. Right now when I hide these caches, I tend to make them somewhat hard to find to cut down on the visits.

In short the reason I prefer micro's is because a log file is a lot easier to maintain than an entire cache. Plus they can be placed just about anywhere, and they can be a lot more challenging than a large cache could ever hope to be.

[This message was edited by The_Brownies on February 11, 2003 at 09:52 AM.]

Brownies,

It looks like your micros are interesting and well thought out. Unfortunately, they seem to be the exception, rather than the rule.

Most I've found are along the likes of this and this lame excuse for geocaches.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on February 11, 2003 at 10:15 AM.]

Bri -- Now you have seen examples of good micro's, maybe it's time for you to show the cachers in your neck of the woods what a truely good micro cache can be like. Pick out a good topic like the Civil war, or Coloniel America and make a new micro series that will give everyone a good history lesson. Be inventive and try to make them a true adventure. Trust me, you will be rewarded by the logs you reveive. Plus, someone in your area might get some ideas from you, and start placing cool micro's that you can hunt. Remember, education and leading by example are the keys to success. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Madapple:

I vote for ammo boxes and decent sized

plastic containers.

Team Madapple

West Baden, IN

You know, I tried to hide an ammo box in this really small nice rose garden park in the middle of town. Do you know how many magnets it took before it would stick behind the dedication plaque?

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I think the major reason for their popularity is that they take little in the way of preparation and it isn't necessary to put a lot of thought into hiding them.

How much thought does it take to hide an ammo box in a bush? Big or small it's not the size of the cache that makes it good or bad. It is the thought that goes into it.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I didn't expect this kind of responce !!!!!! I

think the Micro's are like some others, not very

well thought out,, I was just wondering if they

are being used all over? I am, in some standards,

a newbie,(60+ finds & 3 hides), and enjoy the

hunt. I don't like finding them from my vehicle,

as I have. I also very much enjoy trading things

around from one cache to another,,,to say nothing

about moving Travel Bugs,,which you can't do with

a Micro. But a well thought out and well placed

Micro is always as welcome as a well placed ammo

can would be.

Hope I am not starting another rant...sorry.

I'm not into micros so I haven't found many, but I do look if they are near and there aren't any ammo boxes around. I have even hidden one to lead to a regular cache. My beef is that people still try to squish a log book in those things. It ends up being a moist lump of loose scraps of paper. I just leave my calling card or nothing at those.

Also, anything is better than a virtual. To me that says, "Hey go stand here. Good job".

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

Howdy! The size of the cache container is a great variation in the game, large or small. Generally I find it as difficult to hide a little tiny one as to hide a great big one, at least to hide it well. I've had a lot of trouble with containers, though. A film can of mine got quite mangled, a deli container shattered and those listerine strips containers leak. Hmmm. . .

King Pellinore

quote:
How much thought does it take to hide an ammo box in a bush? Big or small it's not the size of the cache that makes it good or bad. It is the thought that goes into it

When I get to the site where I plan to hide a cache, it does indeed take a lot more thought to determine where to place an ammo box. To hide an ammo box where it won't accidently be found can take me up to an hour. I can find a dozen possible hiding places for a micro in a matter of minutes.

And as far as effort, I can put together a micro, complete with logbook and trade items in maybe 10 minutes. A standard cache takes me several hours to prepare, between sanding and painting it, printing and laminating the cache letter and finding suitable items to place inside.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

Just look in the descriptions and avoid the micro caches.

I wish micros had their own special icon so that I didn't have to open the 'details' to find out. Several folks in my area have been hiding micros like there's no tomorrow.

I think there are several varieties of geocachers. Some folks are out to compete--see who can find/place the most caches. Some people just like to find them regardless of difficulty. Some want to get/leave cool prizes. Some just like to go outdoors and this is a good excuse to check out different parks. And some just like to play with hi-tech toys.

Micros fit the needs of some groups but not others. I personally dislike micro, virtual, and themed caches.

I think the issue is that because they are so easy to put together...esp logbook only ones, that some people sprinkle them around like grass seed and they wind up being the predominant kind of cache in some areas.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on February 12, 2003 at 06:00 AM.]

Over the weekend, I found a micro cache just outside a park. (Yes, that's where it was supposed to be.) Then when I went home to log it, I discovered that it was archived because the cache owner thought it had been plundered! That's the strangest micro cache experience I've had. icon_smile.gif

I find micro cache difficulty to be very variable. Those could be easier than regular caches or much more difficult. Only way to know is to try to find all of them. But that's the nature of the game, isn't it?

I've hidden one micro and one traditional. The micro is hidden in a rock retaining wall behind a clump of concrete. To my suprise it is fairly popular. Micros, to me, just add a little more meat to a cache. On the other hand, if you like trading, micros pretty much suck the fun out of the hunt. Take Care.

Happy. Hunting. burnout.gif