No return e-mail on virtuals

I dont understand why the last two virtuals I have found I have not gotten an e-mail reply from the cache owner. If these guys are not going to play by the rules why would they even post a virtual that requires reading your e-mail and replying.If Im going to take my time to find it and log it, then e-mail the answer to the questions why cant they reply saying good job you found it or try again. Something would be nice.

"WITHOUT GEOGRAPHY YOU'RE NOWHERE....Jimmy Buffett

There's a rule that says you MUST reply? I always read the email, but sometimes I don't reply. It depends on the post, but mostly on if I have time to reply before I delete the email. Sometimes I don't, but usually I do.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

what's the purpose of doing the email then? might as well just log it and not send an email with the "answers".

a quick "thanks" or "that's right" would be sufficient and doesn't take any time.

just a thought...

~robert

Notice: Driver carries less than $20 cache.

For some reason that seems to be the norm around here too. Out of 6 virts I've found, but I've only received 2 answers to my e-mails. And one of those answers wasn't to say yes I was correct....they replied because I mentioned in the e-mail that it was my first virtual and that it changed my mind about virtuals (I used to hate them, then I tried the one and realized that they can be interesting and fun).

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

I would wait for a short period of time, maybe a week, 2 at the most, and if no reply, I would log it as a find. One of the stipulations of placing a virtual is to be able to verify the answer. Not replying is not a way to verify the answer. For all they know, you never received the email, read it, or don't give a crap. Just like a traditional cache, you need to active with the email thing.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Virtual caches should have some questions in the LOG THE CACHE page, so that it will log it as a find if the questions are answered. There can be a problem though if the Virtual cache info was spread to other people via e-mail, skirting around the system.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

I'm sorry, but the original question is absolutely legitimate. If you require an e-mail be sent, then it should be answered. I try to answer any that come in on mine within a day if possible, but I've answered some that came in within a few minutes. It just doesn't take that much time and trouble to type out a quick reply. The ones that are hard to write are the ones telling someone they got the wrong answer, doh! But it must be done.

It's the same as not maintaining a traditional if you ask me. If you are not going to maintain it, don't place it. If you find you can't keep up with it, archive it, regardless of type. Since they have banned the adoption of virtuals, that is not an option, but it still is for traditionals. Some people are just not meant to place caches, of any type. Maybe they ought to just stick to hunting them, ya think?

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I have done 1 virtual, and I only did it because I am already in that area visiting, so reading the sign is no problem. But when they say you must email me the answer before you can log, then I believe I should get an email back saying either yes or no, I don't need some elaborate sotry if right, or I don't need some bed side manner email, just an email in the Subject (cache name) - yes or no the body of the email can be blank.

I logged the virtual as a found anyways but that was a couple weeks ago and still no email back that I can recall reading that it was correct. and the only reason I did log it was th elog under mine was by someone that email didnt get a reply and was tired of waiting.

I won't go out of my way or special trip to a virtual like I will with a multi or a traditional. If I am already in the area, and have my gps and see, oh I am standing at a virt, then I will go and do it.

I bought a GPS. Now I get lost with style.

I have a couple of fairly active virtuals. I always have found time to answer the emails I get with the verifying data. It is usually just a couple of lines, but seems like a reasonable courtesy.

If someone logs a find with out sending the email, I email them to ask, and usually explain the normal process for virtuals (at least for my virtuals).

I have also have owners of virtuals who didn't respond, and I allowed a reasonable amount of time to pass and then logged the find.

A lot of this is just common courtesy.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

I would wait for a short period of time, maybe a week, 2 at the most, and if no reply, I would log it as a find. One of the stipulations of placing a virtual is to be able to verify the answer. Not replying is not a way to verify the answer. For all they know, you never received the email, read it, or don't give a crap. Just like a traditional cache, you need to active with the email thing.

Yup. You did the work, claim it. If they can't maintain the email as part of their responsibility for "cache upkeep" it's hardly your problem. Claim those virts!

130036_200.gif

When I log a virtual that asks for email, I send email to the owner and then log the find. If the owner had a problem with my answer, I would guess they would either respond to my email or delete my log.

In my experience, slightly more than half of the owners do send a reply. Sometimes it takes several days for the owners to check their email and send a reply.

I had one experience where I emailed the cache owner that I knew what the answer was before going to the cache. I shouldn't have volunteered this information as he then wanted additional verification that I had actually gone to the cache. Forturnately I had taken a picture from the cache location that I could send him to prove I was there :

東西南北

Why do I always find it in the last place I look?

Now this my opinion and just that... some may not agree and some may...but if you place a virtual and don't even answer the email to verify it, then you are abandoning that cache...In cases like that with traditionals, they would be archived if the owner is not maintaining them. It states in the Guidelines Understand that although the virtual cache is not something you physically maintain, you must maintain your virtual cache's web page and respond to inquiries. You should also return to the web site at least once a month to show you are still active. Virtual caches posted and "abandoned" will be archived by the site.

I interpret that they should be verifying the information. It says they should respond to inquiries. The lack of doing so does help give virts a bad name. Especially when they are rediculous ones and people don't bother to maintain them.

Brian

If the description in the virtual contains "e-mail me the answers and don't log until you get my reply", then I expect a reply (I hate these, btw, only because sometimes the person might be gone and not reply for quite a while). For others, I don't expect a reply. The best ones are those that state "e-mail me the answers and then log your find, I'll only reply if there are problems with your answers." (best, in my opinion)

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I agree with Woodsters, They should at least reply with an e-mail. I have waited at least a couple of weeks for one reply and the other has been only 4 days. I posted the finds and if they dissagree they can delete them. I did'nt go out of my way to find either one, they just happened to be in my path anyway. But they should mantain their caches virtual or traditional.

Marky, that may be convienent, but to me that shows signs of someone that doesn't want to maintain that cache or are lazy about it. That really doesn't help on the views of virts. I don't think placing a cache, whether physically or virtually should be taken lighthearted. Granted, it's no rocket scientry to do it, but if someone is doing it just "to do it" and have a placement on their list, then that is wrong. I think a cache owner has as much responsiblity of closely watching, maintaining and answering questions about their caches, whether a traditional or a virt, as one does have going and finding a cache and logging it. If a cache owner is going to be away from their email for a few days or more, i would think the responsible thing to do would to be to post a message on the cache page that they will be gone for an certain amount of time and that they will respond when they get back as well as remove the note. That way someone will know ahead of time what to expect and why they won't be getting an immediate answer.

Brian

From my experience, many don't click the "send my email address" along with their email for virtual answers. If the cache owner can just click on the "reply" button to verify receipt, I'd bet you'd get a (quicker) response. If not, the cache owner has to log on, go to the cache page, find the user, click the profile etc., etc...to send a reply. I'll always reply right away if the email address is included, if not, it is perceived that the finder is not really interested in getting a response.

I agree, you should email the finder.

I have done several virtuals and have only gotten one reply e-mail from a cache owner, this made me feel like the owner appreciated my visit. The no replies… well.. at least I did my part.

I think as a matter of courtesy if someone goes to the trouble of finding the cache finding the answers e-mailing you and logging the cache the least you could do as a cache owner is send a thank you note.

quote:
Originally posted by Bluehook:

From my experience, many don't click the "send my email address" along with their email for virtual answers. If the cache owner can just click on the "reply" button to verify receipt, I'd bet you'd get a (quicker) response. If not, the cache owner has to log on, go to the cache page, find the user, click the profile etc., etc...to send a reply. I'll always reply right away if the email address is included, if not, it is perceived that the finder is not really interested in getting a response.

This is very true as well. It is more elaborate to have to e-mail back through Geocaching.com, but even then, it's the least we can do as the owner/operator of the virtual cache.

I still say, if you can't, or won't, maintain it, don't place it, whether traditional, virtual, or otherwise.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

If the description in the virtual contains "e-mail me the answers and don't log until you get my reply", then I expect a reply (I hate these, btw, only because sometimes the person might be gone and not reply for quite a while). For others, I don't expect a reply. The best ones are those that state "e-mail me the answers and then log your find, I'll only reply if there are problems with your answers." (best, in my opinion)

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Now that does sound like a good suggestion, but I'm not sure if that isn't just letting people off the hook from having to answer the e-mails...lol. Even in that event I'd still answer and let them know they have it right. If someone logs a find either before they've sent the e-mail, or before they've received an answer, I have no problem with that, as long as the e-mail is sent and they have the correct information. I answer, and will continue to answer, every one.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I don't own any virtuals but if I did, I would answer the emails. Not because I think it is a rule, but because I consider it to be polite.

With that said, on the virtuals that I have found, I have always logged them right away and then sent the email. I didn't really care if I recieved a reply or not, although I usually have gotten one.

pokeanim3.gif

Bingo. Courtesy.

If I don't get an email back, that just says "Nice job", or "Thanks, I'll go log a DNF and write that the cache owner did not respond to my email.

Since Virtual Caches are no longer even allowed, it seems in addition to the grandfather clause there should be a minimum "show of maintenance" required of the owner.

If you ask for an email, you should have the courtesy to reply to those who honored your request.

I hope that someday we will be able to put away

our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

I wouldn't log it without a reply, unless a period of time has gone by. If they don't reply to me in a week or two, then I will go ahead and log it and will probably make a note on the log, that I didn't receive a reply. I think the ease of just logging it without confirmation from the owner makes it "cheesy", a sense of cheating and feel that the find doesn't amount to anything. Doing a virt that way would make me think of them in the way that some others feel negatively about them. I think a good virt that requires proof and acknowlegdment of it is a good cache. I also think that receiving the feedback from the owner is sense of accomplishment as well.

Brian

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

I just send the email and log it as a find. If there is a problem the cache owner will delete your log (or contact you).

http://208.55.63.109/images/stunod_sig.gif

_"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson_

Exactly my thoughts. I send the email and log the cache. It's up to the cache owner to notify me if the info I provided is wrong. I assume from his silence that I provided the right information and move on.

I don't think twice if I don't get an answer

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

quote:
Originally posted by runner_one:

I think as a matter of courtesy if someone goes to the trouble of finding the cache finding the answers e-mailing you and logging the cache the least you could do as a cache owner is send a thank you note.

(

I think you have it backwards. You enjoyed finding a cache and YOU should thank the cache owner. When you go to a free concert do you expect the stars to thank you ?!?

quote:
I think you have it backwards. You enjoyed finding a cache and YOU should thank the cache owner. When you go to a free concert do you expect the stars to thank you ?!?

I didnt know caching and concerts had anything in common. Also I'm not asking for a Thank you. Im asking for acknolegement for answering the questions asked.

quote:
n0wae wrote:

When you go to a free concert do you expect the stars to thank you ?!?

Hmmm... never been to a concert (free or not) where the musicians didn't say "Thanks for coming" at the end of the show.

Nothing wrong with the owner of the cache sending a quick courtesy note to the finder to thank them. I quite often do this on my caches if only to make certain that there are no problems with the cache.

However, I'd just send the e-mail to the cache owner of the virtual and log the find. As mentioned above, if there's a problem with the find, the owner should contact the person who logged the cache. If the owner doesn't reply, then assume that all is good. It wouldn't hurt to thank the owner for the cache when you send your confirmation e-mail either.

But it also wouldn't hurt for the cache owner to send a courtesy e-mail back -- it is a nice gesture and a showing of good manners (of which there are far too few of).

[This message was edited by Jomarac5 on August 17, 2003 at 01:36 PM.]

I think that if the cache owner sends a message back stating that the answer is correct and that they can then log their find, that it helps keep the cache straight. What I mean by straight is that people can place a virtual easily and not send a message back. Part of the maintenance process is answering the email. If everyone assumed that if they didn't get an answer back, then that would allow for a lot of abandoned virtuals. Especially older ones that are perhaps blocking a physical cache. It acts like a cycle. If people aren't maintaining their caches by responding to the emails then there is a break in it and sends a signal out. After a respected amount of time that a person waits with no response, then they can follow through to the approver or GC staff. It will make it easier and easier for those virtuals to be placed and abandoned. Just like in a physical cache that a person has to remain active with their cache, the same should be for a virtual. It may help alleviate the saturation of people submitting caches if they are aware that they are going to be responsible and remain active with it.

My opinion would be similar to many others about virtuals and not liking them if it were so easy to place them and not have to deal with ever again.

Brian

I also think the virt owner should get off their lazy bum and reply to anyone who takes the time to check out their cache.

I'm sure they were at least slightly into caching when they sibmitted their virtual. They were probably jazzed up thinkig how cool it would be to bring people to this spot they had found, but after a few logs, they lost interest!?! SHEESH!

Archive it if you can't confirm a person's find!

Og

Prophetically Challenged (or is that Pathetically?)