POLL: Would you search for a Bookcrossing based cache?

Rubbertoe

For those of you who aren't familiar with BookCrossing.com - it is a site where you can register books, get a tracking number for them, and release them into the wild for other folks to find, read, and register.

Several people have already created BookCrossing specific caches, and registered books regularly find their way into caches these days. I've been considering doing a BookCrossing themed cache, but here is my question to the general community here:

What would you probably do if a new BookCrossing themed cache appeared near you? (This would mean the only items that could be left in or taken from the cache would be books registered at BookCrossing.)

banana.gifThe Toe Pages

I would hunt the cache and respect the theme. I would be able to find one of my many already read books to register and leave at the cache. Might be a good idea to print off some of the Bookcrossing book marks to leave so that cachers unfamiliar with the site could have a clue as to what they were supposed to do after returning home.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

Might be a good idea to print off some of the Bookcrossing book marks to leave so that cachers unfamiliar with the site could have a clue as to what they were supposed to do after returning home.

Good idea... I'll definitely do that. I'm just worried that a lot of people would just avoid the cache completely if they knew that books were the only booty. I mean, they could still sign the log there and get the credit for the find - but I know some folks hunt just for the treasure. icon_smile.gif

banana.gifThe Toe Pages

I would probably hunt this cache if it were on my first couple of pages for the nearest list, just "because."

If it were farther away, I would travel to find it IF there was a book in the cache that I was interested in reading. Then I would register one and go trade.

But there is no option in your poll for that. Always add an "Other - please explain" as the last choice so that non-conformist wordy people like me can skew your results.

I'd also recommend putting something descriptive in your cache name to let everyone know it's a bookcrossing theme cache.

Go for it! Just don't seed the cache exclusively with books on podiatry and foot fetishes.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Good idea... I'll definitely do that. I'm just worried that a lot of people would just avoid the cache completely if they knew that books were the only booty. I mean, they could still sign the log there and get the credit for the find - but I know some folks hunt just for the treasure. icon_smile.gif

I've thought several times of placing a book cache. I think books are some of the most valuable treasure a person can find. I don't read very often and when I do I normally stick to manuals and technical books (i.e. Practical Guide to Unix Security) but I love them. I have moved several times over the past 6 years. I get rid of nearly everything else but my books are still with me. I curse myself everytime I look at them because I think, why am I toting these things around when I'll probably never read them again. Yet I am somehow forever attached to them. I think that when I learn something from a book it becomes part of me. Then again, maybe I'm just a freak. *SHRUG*

I don't know anything about bookcrossing yet but from the little bit I have read it sounds like a great idea to combine the two hobbies.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

I would travel to find it IF there was a book in the cache that I was interested in reading. Then I would register one and go trade.

But there is no option in your poll for that. Always add an "Other - please explain" as the last choice so that non-conformist wordy people like me can skew your results.

You are right - I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it. If I seed it with feet books, like you joked - it'd probably get less visits than if I put a variety of "good" books in the cache. icon_smile.gif

Actually, my initial stash will be everything in my BookCrossing bookshelf, minus the anxiety and lonely guy books. I will probably add a couple more to that list before I place the cache - but I think I've got a decent variety there to start out with. A little humor, a little advice, a little scientology icon_rolleyes.gif, and a little videogame stuff.

banana.gifThe Toe Pages

quote:
I'm just worried that a lot of people would just avoid the cache completely if they knew that books were the only booty. I mean, they could still sign the log there and get the credit for the find - but I know some folks hunt just for the treasure.

There's better treasure than books??? Huh. Whodathunkit.

I just placed a bookcrossing cache today, called Bookcrossing Library. I joined bookcrossing a few weeks ago and think it the best thing since Geocaching! Mixing the two... oooooh..... icon_wink.gif (said with a Homer Simpson "Doooonut...." voice and expression). Hopefully, local cachers will feel the same way.

SteveL

BTW, standard sized paperbacks fit perfectly in a .50 cal ammo box - coincidence?

[This message was edited by SteveL on October 16, 2002 at 08:59 PM.]

I placed a bookcrossing.com themed cache, New Orleans Public Library – City Park Branch, about a month ago. For the most part, folks are just logging it, not trading books (or much else for that matter). One problem is that the ammo box only fit 4 or 5 books, and it was a tight squeeze at that. So there’s not much room for even a traditional happy-meal-type trade. One other thing I’ve found is that the couple of original books that have been taken have not been logged on bookcrossing.com. Not really a big deal, but I hoping to see a log or two on the other web site too. Another thing I didn’t expect was the Travel Bug traffic it’s had. This is my first traditional sized cache in a fairly urban/touristy area, so I guess I should have expected it.

what size can is it?

i visited a book cache in WA, and this 50cal can had like 7or8 books it, course i think they were all paperbacks icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

I placed a bookcrossing.com themed cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36374, about a month ago. For the most part, folks are just logging it, not trading books (or much else for that matter). One problem is that the ammo box only fit 4 or 5 books, and it was a tight squeeze at that. So there’s not much room for even a traditional happy-meal-type trade. One other thing I’ve found is that the couple of original books that have been taken have not been logged on bookcrossing.com. Not really a big deal, but I hoping to see a log or two on the other web site too. Another thing I didn’t expect was the Travel Bug traffic it’s had. This is my first traditional sized cache in a fairly urban/touristy area, so I guess I should have expected it.

whack.gif

I'm pleasantly surprised by the results so far... it does make me feel a little better about having such a strictly themed cache. Like I said, of course anyone that finds it can log it - trading registered book isn't a requirement. icon_smile.gif

Someone in #geocache suggested that I get a bigger ammo box to hold the books... I didn't realize they made BIG ammo boxes like that, since all I have ever shopped for was the little economy sized ones.

I'll probably add another post here with the cache page once I have it placed. Thanks for all the votes and replies.

banana.gifThe Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

Someone in #geocache suggested that I get a bigger ammo box to hold the books... I didn't realize they made BIG ammo boxes like that, since all I have ever shopped for was the little economy sized ones.

ya there are some huge boxes out there, you could try a "tall" 50cal which is something like 4 inchs taller than a reg one. or if thats not big enough you probly get a 40mm "rocket box". that should be plenty big for A FEW books icon_eek.gif

whack.gif

I go by where the cache is, rather than what's in it. And if I weren't having one of my increasingly frequent senior moments, I'd remember to bring a book along. Otherwise it would be another TNLN log.

We have at least two book theme caches in the area, although the names are not explicit. When I found them, they seemed to be doing well. In short, go for it.

quote:
Originally posted by >>>------------------->:

Sounds like an interesting idea. The cache should probably contain all books of a certain type maybe

i.e. same subject or author, mystery books, science fiction, etc. Don't necessarily see why a book cache would necessarily need to have anything to do with bookcrossing.com.

Actually, I think it would be better to start with a wide variety... I would be a lot slower to seek a 'romance novel cache' than if it was a cache full of various different themed books. icon_smile.gif

But about the books in general, you might be right about not requiring they be registered at bookcrossing.com - I think my description page will really stress that you SHOULD register it, but I don't think I will make it a requirement. I can understand that some people might not want to have to register at another site, to get another username, and another password - just so they'd get to track more crap. icon_biggrin.gif

banana.gifThe Toe Pages

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

what size can is it?

i visited a book cache in WA, and this 50cal can had like 7or8 books it, course i think they were all paperbacks icon_wink.gif

Well, it's definitely not a 50 cal. What's the next size smaller? icon_confused.gif

I had to work to get five books in there. 2x2 regular sized paperbacks standing on end, and the slim childrens book squeezed in between.

Okay, I have gotten enough inspiration from this topic that my next cache will be my first themed cache. I don't think I'm gonna mess with the bookcrossing stuff but it will be a "book" theme. Man, I can hardly wait.

----------

A man said to the Universe, "Sir, I exist!" "However," replied the Universe, "that fact creates in me no sense of obligation." -- Stephen Crane

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

Well, it's definitely not a 50 cal. What's the next size smaller? icon_confused.gif

I had to work to get five books in there. 2x2 regular sized paperbacks standing on end, and the slim childrens book squeezed in between.

well, according to the page the cache started with 10 books icon_eek.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?pf=&ID=27714&decrypt=y&log=y

i sent a message to eeen asking what size the can was, if i here back ill let you know.

whack.gif

i finally got an email back and ill patch in the inportant pieces:

from ian k-

I'm not sure what size ammo it was for. I, honestly, bought it at the

Army-Navy surplus out on Sprague and Pines and it was the only real size

that they had. It was big enough that You could actually place the books in

it standing up front to back and two or three on the side in the extra

space. I think the most I forced into it was maybe 12

books but I needed room for the log and then some "growing" room because you

never know what anyone else is going to leave you.

whack.gif

Well, I went the easy way with this one... I got the $2.45 special at Odd Lots - a decent sized plastic container. I don't like the recessed lid, which I know is going to collect water... but other than that, it shouldn't have any problem keeping out normal weather. The lid snaps on, and while it isn't a tupperware type seal - it is pretty tight, and the lip is pretty big, which should prevent any leaking.

Even still, I'm probably gonna try to hide this somewhere that has a lot of natural cover, if not completely under something... a rock, bridge, fallen tree, etc.

Oh, this is the container that I'm talking about. Once the cache is placed, I'll try to remember to come back here and edit the URL accordingly.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

I might even start placing books in caches just to make room on the bookshelves. I was going to donate them all to the library but most of them I got at the library book sale on their free day. One of our local libraries has a book sale every year and on the last day everything is free. I got too many books last time, some duplicates. Lots of Robert Ludlum type reading plus assorted others. Hey! Come to think of it there is open space right near that library. PING! icon_biggrin.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

I would try to hide it away from structures. Might try putting a big bag inside the box to hold the books in?

Yup, actually they each have their own ziplock baggie, and I'm gonna leave a few extras in the bin in case someone forgets or doesn't wanna bother with wrapping their book at home before they come. icon_smile.gif

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages

I would hunt the cache because its there. And I would like to see what books were in it. But I couldn't trade books, once I read a book I have a very hard time letting go of it. I'll let someone borrow one of my books as long as I get it back. I rarely borrow someone elses book because I won't want to return it. If I do return it i oten go out and buy a copy of my own. I just like books. icon_razz.gif

Eeyore

My other cachemobile is a broom!

Hehe... you sound kinda like me. It took a little convincing before I decided to participate in BookCrossing. I mean, just a few days before someone showed me that site - I had purchased a bookshelf. icon_smile.gif

I mean, it was going against everything I wanted to do... registering books and then giving them away. I mean, wtf did I buy this bookshelf - if not to keep every stinkin' book that I get? *laugh*

I read a lot, and while reluctant to let go of books as well, I've gotten into bookcrossing (courtesy of another NEOGeo who's been leaving them all around). I've registered several, released a few, and would include a bookcrossing cache on any caching foray that I could...

Actually, I've been trying to think of a way to do something similar up here... maybe we can create a network of bookcrossing caches... icon_smile.gif

"You will kneel before her in her altar in the trees" - Tara MacLean, Let Her Feel The Rain

I have a BookCrossing Cache in Missouri. A lot of cachers just TNLN. But I have had several cachers trade books. I do include pre-numbered/pre registered Bookcrossing labels for those who bring books but haven't registered them at BookCrossing. Those have worked well. The cache is pretty packed with books and while most stick strictly to the theme, or TNLN, there have been a few small items left in the cache, which is fine. And as with all my caches, there is a travel bug hotel so it has seen some TB action as well.

It certainly doesn't stop cachers from coming out and finding it. And it has helped spread the word about BookCrossing and provided a place to leave books so they don't get tossed in the trash.

I finally found a nice day, AND a day when there weren't too many people at this park - so I've placed my BookCrossing cache. It isn't that people are around the hiding spot, but I didn't wanna have people see me carrying this big ol' container back in the woods. icon_smile.gif

The Watershed BookCrossing

(possibly still pending approval)

Thanks again to everyone who replied and voted in the poll... I might not have done this one had I not gotten such a good response.

geobanana.gif

The Toe Pages