Caching in sitcoms

Jolly B Good said:

quote:
I think it helps to remember that there ARE folks like the characters from Seinfeld living out there in the real world. (I'm thinking of Karmer and George in particular).

Can you imagine them caching together? The Common Sense rule would definitely break down here.

I can see Kramer using a 55 gallon oil drum as a Cache Container.

"Best cache EVER, Jerry!!!"

And George would take five items from a cache and leave a Mint he took from the Restaurant they hang out at.

Darn. Too bad the show is off the air. That might make a good episode.

Then Captain Chaoss said:

quote:
Your right, it would make a most excellent episode.

Then, Elaine and Putty are "making out" by the cache, and keep getting interrupted by cachers.

Ok people, continue with the episode here ! Or start a whole new thread about caching in sitcoms.

And so here it is. Sounded fun.

Gilligan's Island. Gilligan goes out looking for cocoanuts for MaryAnn's cocoanut pie and finds a strange box with all this stuff in it. They read the note that states they shouldn't move it but they could join the world wide game of Geocaching. They take it to Skipper and MaryAnn begins to feel upset and panicked that they removed the cache from its location. Skipper tells little buddy to take it to the Professor and he will know what to do. Professor takes the contents of the cache and some palm leaf rope and string along with spare radio parts, and creates a GPS. Mr. & Mrs. Howell financially back the venture and Ginger tags along just for the publicity. Then Gilligan notices the log of cachers and they find out that they are not the only ones to have visited this island -- at least 500 other people have visited this spot on the earth before. They study their GPS closly and find out that they are really not on a remote island after all but simply ..... hmmm you finish this...

Brady Bunch:

The gang all goes out Geocaching and they split up into pairs...Greg and Peter, Bobby and Cindy, and Jan and Marcia.

Bobby and Cindy get lost in a reprise of the Grand Canyon episode. Greg and Peter meet a couple of groovy chicks and decide there are more fun things to do in the woods.

Marcia keeps making all the finds before Jan, and Jan reports back to the family at the end of the day: "Marcia beat me to every cache...Marcia Marcia Marcia!"

Home Improvement:

You know the scene where Tim creates the "Binford 26000 super elliptical GPS"?

The one that looks like a 10 speed bicycle without the wheels, that has the shoulder straps and all. Yeah, that's it.

Then seeing him tear through the woods with that thing! Argh!

MASH:

A lull in the fighting has the whole camp fighting boredom. Hawkeye and B.J. pull one too many pranks again, and Colonel Potter puts them in charge of camp morale.

So they decide to plant some geocaches. Radar trades away 30 gallons of barbecue sauce for empty ammo boxes. caches are hidden with 3 day passes, tongue depressors, and Frank Burns socks.

Of course, Burns and Hot Lips complain about the unauthorized use of military supplies, Klinger goes without sleep for days trying to get all the 3 day passes, and the north Koreans are confused as to why all the ammo boxes they keep finding have no ammo in them, but stinky socks.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

Friends:

They sit around the coffee house talking about where a good place to hide a cache would be, and what would be cool to put in it, and what would be a neat caching name. But they never actually do any of it.

icon_rolleyes.gifAnd I always thought Seinfied was the show about nothing. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Opey One:

quote:
You know the scene where Tim creates the "Binford 26000 super elliptical GPS"?

The one that looks like a 10 speed bicycle without the wheels, that has the shoulder straps and all. Yeah, that's it.

Then seeing him tear through the woods with that thing! Argh!

It would also have a defoliater attachment to clear tree cover from interfering with the signal.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by Search1128:

Gilligan's Island. Gilligan goes out looking for cocoanuts for MaryAnn's cocoanut pie and finds a strange box with all this stuff in it. They read the note that states they shouldn't move it but they could join the world wide game of Geocaching. They take it to Skipper and MaryAnn begins to feel upset and panicked that they removed the cache from its location. Skipper tells little buddy to take it to the Professor and he will know what to do. Professor takes the contents of the cache and some palm leaf rope and string along with spare radio parts, and creates a GPS. Mr. & Mrs. Howell financially back the venture and Ginger tags along just for the publicity. Then Gilligan notices the log of cachers and they find out that they are not the only ones to have visited this island...

...In fact there are 2 teams currently competing for $1,000,000 by seeing who can survive the longest. icon_wink.gif...

Malcolm in the Middle:

Malcolm is stressing that the coords on his GPS (borrowed from school) are .00357% off from what is plotted on the map. He is so distracted by this that he doesn't notice:

Hal and Lois making out in a patch of poison ivy near the cache, while:

Reese is busy poking at a hornet's nest with a stick, and:

Dewey is eating a moldy candy bar left in the cache.

P

carpe cerevisi

Remove the NOSPAM from my e-mail to contact me.

Surely Red Dwarf was one long show about Geocaching?

The were continuously searching for the World's biggest cache (ok, it was the World) and kept on going round and round in circles on the way. The clever bit of kit (Holly) they had to guide them kept getting them lost.

Sounds pretty much like caching to me.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Sanford & Son:

Fred smells opportunity when he learns people are leaving containers of junk in the woods. Lamont must rescue him and Grady after Fred suffers several heart attacks and they get lost 50 feet from the parking lot at a 1/1 they planned on plundering.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

I made a big decision a little while ago.

I don't remember what it was, which prob'ly goes to show

That many times a simple choice can prove to be essential

Even though it often might appear inconsequential. -- Bill Watterson

Beaver: "Hey Wally, I know you're getting dressed for the dance and all, but I gotta tell you something secret, OK?"

Wally: "What is it, Beav?"

Beaver: "I found this box in the woods today when we were playing cowboys and indians, and it's a geo... a geo... it's a green box with TREASURE in it. So can I keep it, or do I need to give it back?"

Wally: "Gosh, Beav, I dunno. So, what was in this box?"

Beaver: "Oh, some army men and pencils and cheap toys, plus a couple of these neat balloons that are wrapped in foil. They make the bestest water balloons! I tried one and they don't break. Well, not until it hit Eddie Haskell in the head!"

Wally: "Uhhh, Beav, you'd better give me the other balloon. We need more balloons for decorations at the dance tonight, OK?"

Beav: "No! It's MY balloon!"

Wally: "I'll tell MOM!"

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Lost in Space

Using their Galactic Positioning System receiver * , the family goes looking for their first geocache. Dr. Smith mistakes Cash for Cache and goes along hoping to turn a tidy profit.

Penny stay back fearing that she might break a nail but while she waits, the ship is overrun by a carniverous vine plant but that's a different sub-plot.

meanwhile out on the trail, Robot is First-To-Find, but mistakes the rocket-fuel canister cache container for something dangerous and scares the others off with cries of "Danger, Danger Will Robinson!"

* You were wondering why they don't use the GPS to get home? Well, duh, they forgot to set a starting waypoint on earth before they started out and the hyper-jump screwed-up the track log.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

The Simpsons:

Bart maliciously hides a geocache near the nuclear power plant. Flanders and the boys find it but are spotted. The resulting terror scare forces the plant to be shut down. With no electricity for the television or the fridge, Homer decides he must invent a new power source. To fund his project, he joins the circus with which he travels to Nebraska where he meets Bob Dylan. This leads into the first commercial break. Geocaching is of course never mentioned again after the first two mintues of the show.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

I made a big decision a little while ago.

I don't remember what it was, which prob'ly goes to show

That many times a simple choice can prove to be essential

Even though it often might appear inconsequential. -- Bill Watterson

CSI

A gruesome discovery in a cache just outside Las Vegas brings Grissom and his Etrex Vista onto the scene. Using fluorescein and UV light the CSI team is able to track a bloodtrail 15 miles through the desert to another cache. With the realization they have a multi-cache villian on their hands, the call goes out to collect DNA samples from every cache in the greater Las Vegas area. The entire CSI team sets up accounts and begins searching for ammo-boxes. Of course it becomes about the count with Warrick, Nick, Sara, and Greg each trying to get the most finds. In a final 24 hour caching flurry Nick records 130 finds and 15 DNF's. Unfortunately, McToys prove poor at retaining DNA so the team must resort to trickery and place their own cache in hopes of catching the villan. In a dramatic conclusion, the villian is caught leaving his unique signature item. He confesses finding a pocketknife in a previous cache caused him to snap.

Survivor:

As a reward challenge, the two tribes are each given a compass and a GPS. The first team to find the cache wins.

The cache itself could be the reward. It could be filled with rice, ice-cold beer/soda, spices, etc.

I'm surprised it hasn't been done yet.

--CoronaKid

quote:
Originally posted by nctreker:

CSI

A gruesome discovery in a cache just outside Las Vegas brings Grissom and his Etrex Vista onto the scene. Using fluorescein and UV light the CSI team is able to track a bloodtrail 15 miles through the desert to another cache. With the realization they have a multi-cache villian on their hands, the call goes out to collect DNA samples from every cache in the greater Las Vegas area. The entire CSI team sets up accounts and begins searching for ammo-boxes. Of course it becomes about the count with Warrick, Nick, Sara, and Greg each trying to get the most finds. In a final 24 hour caching flurry Nick records 130 finds and 15 DNF's. Unfortunately, McToys prove poor at retaining DNA so the team must resort to trickery and place their own cache in hopes of catching the villan. In a dramatic conclusion, the villian is caught leaving his unique signature item. He confesses finding a pocketknife in a previous cache caused him to snap.

<heh heh> I always did consider CSI a sitcom. I laugh my a$$ off watching that show routinely. Thought I was alone. icon_biggrin.gif

If each team was given a GPS with no instructions, tasked with the job of finding out how to use it, (with that, figuring out how to find the marked waypoint to navigate to), it *would* be a good reward challenge. To incorporate the use of the compass, the GPS would have NO batteries, requiring navigation using compass bearings in order to 'find' x locations (based on # of batteries required to use the GPSr). Once those are located, the second stage of the challenge would begin. Ideally, no previous military personnel involved would level the field a little more for the teams, but meh. Each person/team has their talents, so I could care less, military or geocacher present on either team. icon_smile.gif

Could you imagine if a geocacher WAS on Survivor and was 'faced' with this challenge? Would he be asking the producer how/if he/she could log it as a find? icon_razz.gif

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Wally: "Gosh, Beav, I dunno. So, what was in this box?"

Beaver: "Oh, some army men and pencils and cheap toys, plus a couple of these neat balloons that are wrapped in foil. They make the bestest water balloons! I tried one and they don't break. Well, not until it hit Eddie Haskell in the head!"

Wally: "Uhhh, Beav, you'd better give me the other balloon. We need more balloons for decorations at the dance tonight, OK?"

Beav: "No! It's MY balloon!"

Wally: "I'll tell MOM!"

Nastiest words ever said during the late 50's- early 60's

"Ward. Don't you think you were a little hard on 'the Beaver' last night?" icon_eek.gif

Buy Fuji

Dragnet:

It Wednesday, May 28, working the day watch out of geocache division.

Just the coords, ma'am, just the coords.

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
Originally posted by CoronaKid:

Survivor:

As a reward challenge, the two tribes are each given a compass and a GPS. The first team to find the cache wins.

The cache itself could be the reward. It could be filled with rice, ice-cold beer/soda, spices, etc.

--CoronaKid

Yeah, that sounds like a good one for the next Survivor! Hey, anybody know who won the last one in the Amazon...I sort of got off track and forgot to watch the last shows.

quote:
Originally posted by evergreenhiker!:

quote:

Survivor:

--CoronaKid

Yeah, that sounds like a good one for the next Survivor! Hey, anybody know who won the last one in the Amazon...I sort of got off track and forgot to watch the last shows.

Jenna won. She beat out Matt in the final vote. Robb got third, although he should've won with how well he played.

--CoronaKid

Survivor in the Amazon was great except for the outcome. I am embarassed I rooted for Christy, since in the end she completely lied, and gave Jenna the vote. Ok, back on topic....

According to JIm..

Jim and the brother take Jim's daughter's geocacheing in the Chicago 'burbs. They get distracted by running into some Blue's legend ( insert legend here, I do not know the blues), and leave the girls at the cache at drink beer with the musician.

Meanwhile, cheryl's sister likes some guy who is an active Geocacher, and lies to him that she has 122 finds. They find the kids at the cache, happily playing with McToys. He asks her to get the log for them to sign, so she picks up a stick, exposing her lie.

Jim and Andy come home without the kids, Cheryl completely UNDERREACTS to the fact that her husband has lost the kids for the 5th time this season, and Jim cracks a beer, and watches the Bears game. Dana walks in 10 seconds later, with the girls, and whining about men in general.

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

They used GPS' in The Mole to fine their way cross-country to a waypoint pre-programmed into the unit. They were in Italy I believe.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Survivor:

--CoronaKid

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

"Nastiest words ever said during the late 50's- early 60's:

"Ward. Don't you think you were a little hard on 'the Beaver' last night?" "

Nah, but think about it: going through life with the moniker "Beaver Cleaver".

Now there is a caching Idea....Lets hide something on the BLVD....

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Is it more important to know what you are talking about,

or more important to talk about what you know?

the seeking is in the knowing

and not where you've been

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?