SCREEN NAME IS MORE THAN AN ALIAS

I was thinking about a move from Indy to Northern California and had several interviews set up. When the day came for me to leave a friend took me to the airport. After a very short cocktail hour, (about 2 and a half hours) we left to get me on the plane for my new future in a new land. When I left my house to go to the airport I kept feeling like I left something behind.

After arriving at the airport I realized that I had left my itenerary laying at home. I didn't own a computer but found one that a friend in California had and because I did my itenerary on my mom's computer she had all the info and emailed it all to me. I chose my initials and what I do (I fix things......."If I can't fix it...........it's not broken"). So it came out pthfix.

There's nothing wrong with pulling up an old, on-topic thread for "updating." It allows new members to absorb the past history and to add their own. As the proponents of off-topic postings are fond of saying, if you're not interested in a thread, don't read it.

Many community members believe that renewing an old topic is preferable to starting yet another new topic about the same subject matter.

EDIT: I'll add my own info! Pennsylvania is the Keystone State and that's where I live. I am the volunteer cache reviewer for Pennsylvania and much of Ohio. We are trying to call the volunteers "reviewers" now, so I am worried I may have to change my name. "Keystone Reviewer" sounds so lame.

Edited by Keystone Approver

EDIT: I'll add my own info! Pennsylvania is the Keystone State and that's where I live. I am the volunteer cache reviewer for Pennsylvania and much of Ohio. We are trying to call the volunteers "reviewers" now, so I am worried I may have to change my name. "Keystone Reviewer" sounds so lame.

Could be worse. They could change it to "Keystone Cop" :rolleyes: Whoa! Like way lame :unsure:

When I started visiting forums (primarily Where's George) I was a school Principal. I tried out several names but none seem to fit. A bit of inspiration led me to become Principal Okie. I was Principal Okie for over a year, when a sudden career change led me to become a Realtor®. I felt that Principal Okie no longer reflected who I am or what I do, so it was changed to Agent Okie. I have been Agent Okie for another year, and I think I like it. I have used this screen name on several boards.

:rolleyes:

Spark or Sparky were already taken.

Yeah, that's me! I got mine when I was working as a paramedic. I was doing CPR on a guy in the ER one night, and the nurse didn't say "CLEAR!" before zapping the patient. I took 360 joules and it knocked me across the room, caused some damage to my heart, but mostly hurt like a ........., well, it hurt. From that time on, all the ER staff started calling me Sparky. I just added the "Watts" so I could have a first and last name.

Why not..

I started caching with my husband Dean over a year ago. We cache and log our finds under jennifer&dean. But I was wandering the forums a lot and sometimes would even post. And sometimes he would disagree with my posts. So I grabbed this name from one of my favorite books and use it for the forums.

Jamethiel spends all her time looking for answers and trying to get beyond the expectations that her people and culture keep throwing in front of her. The character comes from a small series of books by P.C. Hodgell.

Still debating if I should log finds made without Dean to this account or just continue with logging them all under our joint account.

I've found it interesting to read this thread from beginning to end as a few names have now changed from their original names. It is kinda fun to try to guess what the original name was since whatever is being described now no longer fits with the name that shows up!

-Jennifer

I recently changed mine as I wanted to pep it up a bit. I was formerly just "Glisson." Now I have changed to GeoGargoyle. I used to always wear Gargoyles sunglases, yes before Arnold did in Terminaor. I also collect Gargoyle and Dragon figurines. My race car driver was Dale Earnhardt. I now like his son. Dale wore Gargoyles and Jr. drove for them for awhile. I also like the definition of Gargoyle as used in Neal Stephensons cyberpunk novel "Snow Crash." You can see the def here. Snow Crash Dictionary I always have some sort of computer near me and am gadget crazy. It all just seemed to fit.

GeoGargoyle

Many years ago, when I spent a lot of time riding motorcycles, I observed that a female passenger on an adjacent bike was shivering from wind chill. I took off my jacket and handed it over to her. At the end of the ride she returned it to me and thanked me for the kindness. At the next club meeting, the club presented me with a name tag that read "Gallahad" - it's a moniker that I never been able to shed.

Many years ago, when I spent a lot of time riding motorcycles, I observed that a female passenger on an adjacent bike was shivering from wind chill. I took off my jacket and handed it over to her. At the end of the ride she returned it to me and thanked me for the kindness. At the next club meeting, the club presented me with a name tag that read "Gallahad" - it's a moniker that I never been able to shed.

And they say that chivalry is dead! My hat is off to you for extending the qualities of a gentleman in an ever-degrading society of rudeness and ignorance. I am guessing that you also stand when a lady enters the room, take off your hat inside a building, and offer your seat to a lady when there are no others, am I right?

I spent a lot of time deliberating over this very item - usually I use my email address (or part of it) or something else Gator-related.  But I like the more game-centered name, and I like the way it sounds out loud

I, too, wanted something "gator-related" that had to do with the game. (I'm something of an alligator enthusiast). I think what I finally came up with fit the bill nicely.

This will be pretty complicated so, I'll do the best I can. See my gc.com name goes back about 21 years. My parents found out they were going to have a baby and if it was a girl the name would be Ashley or somthing like that. And if it was a boy they would name it Ken. Well, guess what, it was a boy, and thats me, Ken. As for the 243, it just sounds better than 143. Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoyed learning about my choice for my gc.com name. Don't forget to tip your waiter. :D

For some, this will be very easy, but I will make the offer anyway:

Free signature item to the first one to identify the "b" from my screen name. :D

I have often teased him that I should get my own account as (his) wife, since we sign logs, etc. as b..... & wife. After all that time of teasing, I finally did it. :D

By the way, those who know the answer will know what the sig. item is, too. (Just in case the rest of you are wondering.)

Free signature item to the first one to identify the "b" from my screen name. :D

I have often teased him that I should get my own account as (his) wife, since we sign logs, etc. as b..... & wife. After all that time of teasing, I finally did it. :D

By the way, those who know the answer will know what the sig. item is, too. (Just in case the rest of you are wondering.)

Ummmm, your name is Bumblebee, and your sig item is a bee hive? :D

I think my grandfather was the first to call me "A man of many hats". He was referring to a time when a tradesmen wore a particular hat for his particular trade. As I am proficient at several trades or a "Handyman" then I am a man of many hats. I'm also a business owner with no employees so I must perform all the task required to run a business ie... Receptionist , scheduler, craftsman, accountant. When I first thought of using manyhats as a moniker on another site, the name was taken. Not willing to think of another I changed the "s" to a "z" an I have Manyhatz

TEAM SPOONHEAD came about during our annual extended family white-water rafting trip. Every year we try to do something to make our raft(s) distinctive for the generic video that they make. One year we put duct tape symbols on our helmets, another year we put "The Incredible Hulk" on the bow of the raft. The first year we taped plastic spoons to our helmets and I made T-shirts with the logo TEAM SPOONHEAD for all 18 participants. The name just stuck and when we got into geocaching (not the entire group) we thought that it was a pretty good name to use.

Free signature item to the first one to identify the "b" from my screen name. :lol:

I have often teased him that I should get my own account as (his) wife, since we sign logs, etc. as b..... & wife. After all that time of teasing, I finally did it. :o

Hmmmmm.... Briansnats wife?

Hmmmmm.... Briansnats wife?

So, what would the sig item be? :lol::o

A squid, of course! :P

But it's not briansnat's wife, I believe she already has a nick of her own. My guess is Bubba1, because they sign their logs in b....&wife style. I doubt I'm right though, because Bubba1 haven't logged in in a while.

So there I was!

It was midnight...the air was heavy with impending rainfall. I had only that morning received in my Dell Axim X5, and Pharos Compact Flash GPS Unit. My research led me to Geocaching and the very day I was able to do it, I did it.

There I stood in a local park...small drops of rain beginning to saturate my shirt. It was June. Not yet hot, not yet mid-summer. As I looked over the already wet ground, my GPS gleamed in the night. The arrow told me that I was on my waypoint...no Cache. I looked around nearby trees as the rain came harder. The mud and standing water began to accumulate...The GPS, safe in its Ziploc bag, shone ever on like a beacon as I...as I Trudged in the darkness...The rain slacked and stopped. I came upon an enormous tree, wherin the roots a small film canister was hidden. At Last! I have found my first Geocache! Feeling somewhat like Indiana Jones must've felt as he lifted that Golden Idol from its pedestal, I reached into the ancient roots of the great tree and pulled the canister from inside. I opened it, took the log sheet out, and withdrew a pen from my pocket. Date...Time...Comment....Signature? What name must I use? Well, I've trudged all the way out here in the rain and mud...and.....THAT'S IT! Thus I signed the name "Trudger" for the first time. A micro cache in early summer, at midnight, in the park. That's where my name comes from.

~~Trudger

So there I was!

It was midnight...the air was heavy with impending rainfall. I had only that morning received in my Dell Axim X5, and Pharos Compact Flash GPS Unit. My research led me to Geocaching and the very day I was able to do it, I did it.

There I stood in a local park...small drops of rain beginning to saturate my shirt. It was June. Not yet hot, not yet mid-summer. As I looked over the already wet ground, my GPS gleamed in the night. The arrow told me that I was on my waypoint...no Cache. I looked around nearby trees as the rain came harder. The mud and standing water began to accumulate...The GPS, safe in its Ziploc bag, shone ever on like a beacon as I...as I Trudged in the darkness...The rain slacked and stopped. I came upon an enormous tree, wherin the roots a small film canister was hidden. At Last! I have found my first Geocache! Feeling somewhat like Indiana Jones must've felt as he lifted that Golden Idol from its pedestal, I reached into the ancient roots of the great tree and pulled the canister from inside. I opened it, took the log sheet out, and withdrew a pen from my pocket. Date...Time...Comment....Signature? What name must I use? Well, I've trudged all the way out here in the rain and mud...and.....THAT'S IT! Thus I signed the name "Trudger" for the first time. A micro cache in early summer, at midnight, in the park. That's where my name comes from.

~~Trudger

.....born of necessity! Good story! :unsure:

My original name was an uninventive form of my real name. My screenname now comes from the fact that I almost always geocache with my yellow labrador retriever Max. His full name is actually Aurelius Maximus which from latin loosely translates to "the great golden one". When he was only 8 weeks old I found out about the sport of geocaching and thought it was a great way to get out and give him a walk and to find some interesting places to explore.

Note: looks like my sign-in name is still being used here in the forums, when I log a cache however it shows up as Team Maximus.

Edited by kmwatts

Humvee is my favorite vehicle (Not curently an owner though :D )and I'm a happy father of two boys = HumveeDad

My email is sfmike22@sbcglobal.net sfmike22 = San Francisco which is my home area (I live in the east bay) , my first name and 22, my favorite number. As you can see I'm not a very complicated person...

:huh: (my son insisted the Ninja has to be here...)

I took the name BaytownBert back in the early days (bout 8 years ago) when I first started off-roading. It was a name folks could remember on the CB and the Jeep forums. I live in Baytown, Texas and it just fit. I'm still called that by a lot of folks and I have a real interest in my hometown's history. I own/run:

http://ourbaytown.com My historical site.

http://jeepmadness.com My Jeep site.

http://baytownbert.blogger.com My Urban Trekking page.

http://jeepmadness.com/ocsc/ My favorite (humor) page.

I have been using Imajika since about 1992. Imajika is a Japanese (or maybe chinese, I forget) word that means, "Now is the time". It's not from the Clive Barker books (even though those were good books). Back in 1992 when I first started going online, I asked an Asian friend to come up with a cool name for me. She picked Imajika and it's stuck ever since. :huh:

It's even my email address (imajika@dr.com) and my domain (imajika.net) and you'll see my stickers in log books as well (Imajika was here!). :D

I've been using it so long, I almost forgot my real name. LOL!

I have a long, Polish last name (pronounced POE-lish, not PAH-lish B) ) and it starts with a K. When I got to my current job, people would call me Mr Kalamazoo, Mr Kamikaze, Mr Kalakawicks, etc. One said "Mr Kablooey" and it stuck. Wonder how kablooey got his!?! I'll read through this thread to see if it's in there. :huh: