SCREEN NAME IS MORE THAN AN ALIAS

Well, hmm... first a bit of background -- everyone on my Dad's side of the family starts with a "J." Joe was the grandfather, then on and on through all the kids & grandkids. My name is Joel, but some around town called me Joe.

Joe it became for a lot of people in college as well, for some reason it was tough to remember that extra "L". I always had a frog shirt, frog pendant, frog tattoo, something. Someone was asking about Joe, she asked which one. "Well, Joe FROG, of course!" So joefrog it became. I've been joefrog for 15 years to some folks, and I'm still just "joe" to others.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Cool--I was going to start a new thread on this one, but did the right thing and did a search for "niknames".

Wanderingson has a deep rooted history dating back to when I was an 8 year old child. I would jump on my bicycle and head off on all day excursions around town. Over the course of one summer vaction, I found nearly every nook and cranny of the then small town of Fairfield California. Ma never worried about me, somehow she knew I was smart enough to use whatever common scence an 8 year old could have. In the late afternoon as I would pull into the driveway, Ma would be there and ask Well where has my "wandering son" been off to today? Over the years, the sense of adventure multiplied exponentially and the name has stuck since. I always had the uncanny ability to share my adventures with all around me and conitinue to this day to wander.

Compass Rose is my lovely bride's name. Let me tell you, I have never in my life met anyone who had a better sense of direction. This gal could navigate the surface of the moon if you gave her a map. She can find true north better than an actual compass because is isn't effected by magnetic declination.

Life is short---Cache Hard

"I cache; therefore I am"

WOO HOO! icon_biggrin.gif(Bump)

I have really enjoyed all the responses to this thread. I know there are a lot of new faces posting on the forums, so let's try it one more time.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

My handle comes from the book "Bored of the Rings" by the Harvard Lampoon. I think it dates from the '70s. I was rather surprised to see it was unused when I signed up -- I figured the number of Lord of the Rings fans online would be huge, and Arrowroot is the parody's name for Aragorn. Also called Stomper, and a bunch o' other things.

I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

You all suck.

=================================================

Your "sense" of humor is more than adequate to explain your screen name.

quote:
Originally posted by arrowroot:

My handle comes from the book "Bored of the Rings" by the Harvard Lampoon. I think it dates from the '70s. I was rather surprised to see it was unused when I signed up -- I figured the number of Lord of the Rings fans online would be huge, and Arrowroot is the parody's name for Aragorn. Also called Stomper, and a bunch o' other things.

_I am Arrowroot, son of Arrowshirt. I have many names, you know_

"I bet you do." icon_biggrin.gif

icon_wink.gif I bought an invisible fence for my invisible dog. icon_wink.gif

Buzz Lightfoot

Pike County, PA

Being a born and raised native of Georgia with the accent to prove it...jarja_grl was adopted as my screen name over five years ago in yahoo (where I subsequently met and married my yahoo sweetie from Seattle. He moved 2700 miles to marry me (and my three kids) almost four years ago).

jarja=georgia

The accent is hopefully more southern belle and less redneck hick, but there's moments when the two are hard to differentiate, I'm sure.

I am an avid musky fisherman....and I would love to tell you that I came by the name "Muskytooth" because on an incident were I ended up having to dig a musky tooth out of my arm or leg or something.......Instead, my story is less interesting. A couple of friends and I have had a dream of opening up an outdoor store for many years. We brainstormed for a name and decided “The Musky Tooth” would be cool. Since that time “Muskytooth” has been my username on almost every website I join. And in the next couple of days we are taking the initial step in completing that dream by opening up “Anchor Point Archery” near Amery WI. We hope to grow the business and in five years expand to guns, clothing, treestands…..and maybe even four wheelers. The sky's the limit man.... So even though the name “The Musky Tooth” may never be used......we get all our hunting equipment at cost none the less.

Hook'em hard,

icon_smile.gif

Muskytooth

Never pet a burning dog......and never ever play leapfrog with a Unicorn.

Mortaine is a name I used in a diceless co-ed naked role-playing game in a hot tub (go Santa Cruz!) She was a fighter-type character with a force sword (think "light saber") who was into history. When I created the name, someone remarked that "le petit mort" (the little death) is a term used in the Renaissance as a euphemism for orgasm; something I knew from being a Renaissance lit major.

Anyway, the name stuck, at least in the online world-- almost nobody calls me that in real life.

It's been my online name for 8 years now, going through every evolution of online service I've used, including some very embarassing Usenet posts (can I please expunge the record now?) Most people don't think of it, so when I get onto a new system, or a system I'm not sure if I've created an account on, I just check "mortaine" and usually, it's me.

I've thought of trademarking it, except I have no commercial use for it-- only personal identity online.

icon_biggrin.gif Nope it wasn't from M*A*S*H the movie or TV show ... when I was young ... a long time ago ... some of my favorite books were the Leather Stocking Tales ... hero ... HAWK-EYE ... his Mohican name ... and Nattie Bumbo his real name ... HAWK-EYE sounded much better even then! It stuck ... even years later ... so I've used it for most everything.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Mine is from my college days. Due to the similarity of my last name and the name of a Michael Meiers Saturday Night Live character, Lothar, King of the Hill People, friends started calling me Lothar and it has stuck ever since, at least with my college friends. I have to add the 69 (year of my birth) because Lothar is a pretty commonly used user/screen name.

And that is the tale of Lothar69.

------------------------------------------------------------

I am Lothar, King of the Hill people. I have many tales to tell....

------------------------------------------------------------

Yup it's my name. Wanted to sound like a responsible adult. I've used Mustang since high school and still answer to it, But Ironically Altho I love and have owned old Mustangs, It comes from the horse of which I've never had anything to do with. A girl that was interested in me < I never noticed until to late> pegged me as "Wild and Free" and used mustang with her friends so as to talk openly about me without me or my friends knowing. I put 2+2 together just after she left. I grabbed it as a CB handle and with my love of the car it stuck. Now with the new 5.0LT it's sorta became a liability for that whole responsible adult thing. I now use Lazerus Long for most things and If I can change to this one I will.

Pat Patterson

Garmin 12XL

82CJ7 & 79F250

Herd of Turtles 4x4 club

Hello all! After caching since January, I have finally decided to make an appearance in the forums. Could be interesting...

I use the pseudo "Mystery Woman" because to most people I choose to remain exactly that, even those who think they know me don't know as much as they think they do. Also because when I'm around you never know what to expect. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

You all suck.

Yes, and if you're lucky, I swallow.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
Zuuky wrote:

you did NOT say that did you?

I believe she did. icon_eek.gif

Jomarac5, is Mystery Woman your sock puppet? I did notice that 3 out of the 4 caches she's found are yours! icon_rolleyes.gif

Other hobbies are woodworking and fishing. Woodbutcher= maker of expensive firewood (good projects gone bad)

68= the VHF channel used by fisherman on Lake Michigan

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There's a fine line between Geocaching and mental illness, I just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

My name is also kinda obvious, but I took it a step further and actually got an MD degree...

Working now on my Doctorate of Geocaching! icon_smile.gif

My avatar is from H E L L, Grand Caymans.

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif

'Gai' (老 ) is my self given chinese surname because for Chinese it's easier to pronounce than my real one.

'Lao' (盖 ) means 'old' but in combination with a surname is a respectfully way to address somebody. My wife and most of my chinese friends call me Laogai. Only my in-laws call me 'Little Gai' icon_wink.gif.

老盖