SCREEN NAME IS MORE THAN AN ALIAS

I am the proud owner of two Basset Hounds, Abby and Winston. If you have ever been owned by Basset hOunds you will know where BassetSlave comes from. They catch on pretty quick on how to get everything they want from food to the best spots on the bed or couch.

BASSETSLAVE

-----------

If you have the nose of a basset there is no cache that you can not find and you are never lost.

anibasset1.gif

Well my screen name.

Milamber is a character from one of my favorite fantasy books I have read besides Hobbit/LotR. Milamber is from Riftwar Saga by Raymond E Feist. It is the name given to the main character of the books once he passes this trial of power and has to claim a new name. It fit with me at the time of reading the books because I went through a similar trail of power in this case a personal conquest over a personal problems I had at the time.

Dragon well I have always loved dragons since I was knee high. And most places Milamber is taken because most use it as Mil(itary) Amber which I'm not female (Amber), I'm male and I wish I could of been in the military, I have a medical condition that kept me out unfortunately.

So that is where I got my name.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

~Milamber

"Abg nyy gubfr jub jnaqre ner ybfg"

Mine is an adaptation of my real name, John Ballou. I was named after my great uncle Jack (John) Burrell. So in honor of his old nickname, I took Jack. The last name of Ballou is often recognized by folks from the bear in the Jungle Book. So I took the jack, and the bear, and we get jackbear. I do relate to the animal as well, and love id-ing tracks, so hence the avatar as well.

Grrrrrrrrr...

jackbear

Mine is fairly dull.

I sometimes pretend that I named myself after the Greek statue, and sometimes I lower myself to pretending that I named myself after the aftershave. But I didn't. I named myself after a pair of shoes.

At the time when I first needed a screen name (for something completely different) I was working in a shoe shop. All shoes were called various different names, all for no particular reason whatsoever, and one style was called "Kouros".

I like it, so I used it. Always have ever since.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

In the Spring of last year (2002) I had an area of about 175 sq. ft. in my backyard behind the detached garage that was overgrown with weeds, piled with junk and a huge eyesore. At the time I weighed close to 300 pounds and was a very lethargic couch potato. I woke up one day and said "this is it". This was the day to change. To make a long story short I spent all Summer clearing this overgrown area and before you know it we had a perfectly beautiful Tiki Lounge in the backyard complete with fountain, bamboo fencing, party lights, bbq deck and tropical foliage. A true Island Oasis here in the desert of West Texas.Oh and by the way the exercise and diet had trimmed me down to a much more toned 225. This was such an impact on my life and my attitude that I felt the Tiki Lounge was a part of me, thus the name Tikiroy. I continue to exercise via geocaching and walking.

That's all,

Roy

"There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"

At the time my girlfriend and I discovered geo-caching, we were/are in the process of reading the Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan. We wanted to find names that went well together so we just picked our favorite characters from the books, who just happened to be involved. (Don't want to give away too much in case some haven't read the books)

So that was Perrin for me and Faile for her. The avatars we have go along with the names as well. I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

All of the names I thought of at first were already taken, so I ended up with Night Stalker. I rationalize this name by stating that like Kolchak in the series I am always running around trying to find things that everyone says are not there, and sometimes they are right.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!!

Ours is the name of our old Greyhound Adoption Agency. We now just call our own dogs, 3 Greyhounds, a Borzoi (Russian Wolfhound) , and a Pug, the Last Lap Gang as we now volunteer for an all-breed rescue organization. It also had a sad but neat ring to geocaching in an odd way.

Wags, Russ & Erin

The name Freelens was chosen as a name for my expected photography business. Turns out the name is already being used on some french magazine so even if I got rich and famous I'd just get sued. Anyway no photo business but I still use the name in one form or another as my screen name. UMC just calls me cheaplens anyway. Speaking of which what the heck is a UMC?? Better check the other threads. Mosie is my pet name for my sweety.

Wisdom comes with age... but sometimes age comes alone.

All interesting stories!

I am Huntnlady, and have been for 25 years now. I actually do hunt, not just tupperware, but I have a passion for big game hunting. I have a huge web site; Huntnlady's Web Site, and meet people across the nation through my site. I have even met people while out hunting who have read my site and recognize me. I belong to the club, Wilderness Unlimited, and am pretty unique in being just about the only lady that hunts alone. I am 1/4 native american, and pretty distinctive as "that lady with the braids who hunts, you know, Huntnlady."

So when I saw this sport mentioned as a off-season outdoor activity, I checked it out. I was hoping to find new places to hunt in my area where geocaches have been hidden, but no luck there. However, I have shared some pretty wild places with geocachers in placing caches, When the Going Gets Rough and Rector-Fy and I love the feedback from people who have found them.

How do they get a deer to cross at that yellow road sign?

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

quote:
Originally posted by Breaktrack:

Hmmm, well, I have to agree with that posted above, it is amazing no Markwells have been inserted up to now....lol. But I suppose that's a good thing.

can someone tell me what 'Markwell' means? i've seen this used many times, i understand it was originally someone's screen name?

as for me...we were discussing my family's heritage one night at dinner and my kids (they have their mother's sense of humor) named me 'Squatting Dog'. Chevy Chase was named that in some movie.

quote:
Originally posted by Squatting Dog:

can someone tell me what 'Markwell' means? i've seen this used many times, i understand it was originally someone's screen name?

I think it's also his family name. It means to "provide links to previous threads dealing with the same topic."

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

quote:
Originally posted by bigredmed:

I work for the University of Nebraska (Big Red) Medical Center (Med), thus my screen name: bigredmed.

Hmmmm... from my background I thought you were a medic in the First Infantry Division. (The Big Red One). How wrong I was!

Funny, my first thought was that he was a corpsman on the USS Nebraska.

Snoogans is a made up word. Jason Mewes (Jay of Jay & Silent Bob) made it up. It means, "I'm kidding." The origins of words in Jay's private language are explained in the 5 hour DVD, "An Evening with Kevin Smith. Snoogans fits me pretty good according to my fellow Texas Geocachers. I have started to answer to it.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

mtn-man -- cause that's what I am.

Love to hike. Love hiking where there is no trail. I have maintained many miles of trails as a Forest Service Volunteer. I have even done some new trail layout and rerouting. I have always lived by the map and compass and my eyes, but when I saw Geocaching I bought a GPS in just a couple of days.

I was surprised I never posted to either of the topics Planet Markwelled so I posted here.

A few years ago, I took a web design class at our local community college. One of our assignments was to register a domain name and host a site for our assignments. My last name is Wendling. From Wendling, I came up with Web-ling.com, a sort of play on my name and the fact that it's a website. I then just used it for my GC.com name.

The little character in my avatar happened while sitting (bored) in the same class, doodling. I drew a goofy little stick figure with a beak, and somehow decided it looked like a Web-ling. So I used it on the original incarnation my website. I've now had several versions:

25021_900.jpg25021_1000.jpg25021_2900.jpg25021_3500.jpg

web-lingbutton.gif ntga_button.gif

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

icon_rolleyes.gif How did you develope your screen name?<snip>

Being a predominant lefty, and liking to write, I just made it up. Plus, I kinda like the whole internal struggle of left vs right kinda thing.

The crossed cannon avatar comes from my branch insignia....the great Field Artillery (aka "The King of Battle")

So to Breaktrack, a fellow SE Texan, a big "HOO-WAHHH!"

P

carpe cerevisi

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Mine has evolved for several years back in the chat days I was Joe-Camel then this became a popular nick so I changed to mrjoecamel

when I first started here I was Shreky A nick I recieved from my coworkers then the wife and kids got into Geocaching so we decided on GeoCamelCachers we the wife and I were one time chain smokers we smoked Camel's and saved all of the little camel cash to get worthless gift's from Camel so the nick is kind of a melting pot af all our nick's mrjoecamel, mrsjoecamel, smoke(daughter) butt(son) sick huh. son dont like to be called butt so we now call him buzzy

Censor Yourself NOT Others

The Sum Of Knowlege and Experience is Wisdom

quote:
Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -http://www.theheavenlyhost.com/geocache

I would have said... anyone that caches less than you do is a newby.

Well as far as my name goes.... well... umm - you have to figure that one out.

--------------------------------------------------

"If you ever go temporarily insane, don't shoot somebody, like a lot of people do. Instead, try to get some weeding done, because you'd really be surprised." - Jack Handy

quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Writer:

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

icon_rolleyes.gif How did you develope your screen name?<snip>

Being a predominant lefty, and liking to write, I just made it up. Plus, I kinda like the whole internal struggle of left vs right kinda thing.

The crossed cannon avatar comes from my branch insignia....the great Field Artillery (aka "The King of Battle")

So to Breaktrack, a fellow SE Texan, a big "HOO-WAHHH!"

P

carpe cerevisi

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

Back at ya Redleg!!! icon_smile.gif LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

as for me, well, mark rothko is my favorite artist. it was a somewhat impulsive choice way way back in college when i started using IRC, and after 11 or 12 years i'm basically stuck with it now. i tend to use it in real life as well, especially with people i've met online. i don't like my given name much and "rothko" just seems to fit better.

meta has been using that nickname for a long time as well. his sense of humor is pretty bizarre and obscure and tends to involve meta-level upon meta-level (though sometimes i think he's just plain free associating) to the point where sometimes nobody gets his jokes except him, even when he explains them...

As a joke, I once signed an email to a friend "the mad crapweasel of the west". It stuck, then it morphed into Little Crapweasel to just Weasel then I started an online discussion group and Called it "Aunty Weasel's recipe exchange", I've been Aunty Weasel for a while now. Strangely, I answer to it in real life too. icon_rolleyes.gif

Never invoke anything bigger than your head.

The name's Sherman. When I was a tot (up until the time I was 33 or so icon_wink.gif) my family called me Peewee. Haven't a clue why. Some of my sibs still call me by my given name, some by my nickname. The screen name/alias is a compilation of the two...hence, P-Herm.

Many years ago, I was involved in a Star Trek RPG. Being aboard a Klingon ship with Captain Krouton and First Officer Kevlar. With that, I needed to choose not only a Klingon name but one with a pun as well.

I choose Kordite (a variant spelling of cordite, a form of gunpowder)

Since then, I have joined the Klingon Assault Group fan club and have risen through the ranks to Captain my own ship and receive world renoun for the administration of the Authorized Klin Zha Homepage, among other things.

Glory to the Empire!

Kordite

http://www.tasigh.org/kordite/index.html

89355_500.gif

Mine is borrowed from a late American 300-pound transvestite actor/actress/singer. I began to use it as a nick in several computer games and internet registrations since 1994 and since then it has caused wondering, confusion and misapprehensions.icon_razz.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

My first GPSr was a basic yellow Etrex. I live in Kentucky so I shortened and combined the two. What I didn't realize then was the number of people that would call me "Kay Why" trex icon_redface.gif Sounds kind of, well, you know. I just didn't want to type out KentuckyTrex each time I wrote my name. I guess that's the price I pay for being lazy.

KYtrex

-----------------

Do it today for tomorrow it may be illegal.

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

Mine is borrowed from a late American 300-pound transvestite actor/actress/singer. I began to use it as a nick in several computer games and internet registrations since 1994 and since then it has caused wondering, confusion and misapprehensions.icon_razz.gif

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

I remember Divine!! Very entertaining character. Not MY cup of tea, but to each their own. LOL.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.