SCREEN NAME IS MORE THAN AN ALIAS

Well ... on other forums, I sign up as RickyD (my name/nickname and last initial) or magicman84 (I'm a part-time magician), but this is an activity that both my wife and I participate in (though I'm usually the one posting in the forums) so I decided to use BOTH of our initials, "R. & L. D." or "RandLD".

I remember this topic from the last time! :P

It was fun then, and between re-living the older members stories and hearing the newer members tales it's even more fun this time.

I started using my handle on a turkey hunting MB (One member there said he thought it was a play on the name of a soft drink and being the antithesis of a normal gobbler addict...the Un-Caller. Un-Caller...Un-Cola...get it? I'm not that cerebral.)

It's an adaptation of a southern saying. In Arkansas when someone is obsessed with something we say they are "Ate Up" with it.

I tend to get into my hobbies. I am "8up" with hunting. Now that season is over I'll get "8up" with geocaching. :P

I have two co-workers who have nicknames for me. One calls me Spanky out of kind affection and because I remind her (and many others I have met throughout the years as the kid of the same name - George "Spanky" McFarland - on the Our Gang comedies of the 20's-40's) and the other one calls me "The Wizard" because I am the IT guy for my company and she just thinks I am that - a wizard at fixing computers. So, I put them together out of respect for them and to create my handle. A little better than my first one which was simply my AOL IM name.

Edited by SpankytheWizard

Back in the 80's I got hooked on a BBS game called Trade Wars. After some research I settled on the name DROMOMANIA. That is a medical term for the compulsive urge to travel. I thought it was a pretty good name since in Trade Wars one was traveling around the universe. When I took up geocaching I went by my real name for the first 50 or 60 caches until I recalled that old name. Thus Team Dromomania was created.

For some reason, mine popped into my head while I was signing up. I didn't know why, but I couldn't shake the term Red Five. It turns out a few weeks earlier a friend asked me to check one of his email accounts, and the password is redfive. I had forgotten the significance, but not the actual password. Oops.

He got it from Star Wars, as it is Luke's handle during the attack on the Deathstar. Yeah, we're all a bunch of dorks.

Red Clover where to start.. My great grand mother was full blooded american indian. She, in the short time I remember, taught me about bit about herbs..

Red Clover is used to treat a variety of women's aliments. AND given the fact I have red hair .. well it's a screen name I've used for almost 12 years.

Well looking at my avatar, you see I have a Jeep. It's a 1997 Cherokee Sport, with a 4" lift and 31" tires, I love it. it's my second jeep that I have owned, and I promise there will be others in the future.

Anyways, I admit I actually stole it from "Todays Cacher" magazine, I read the article "Jee-o-caching" the day it came out, and hurry and made my name "Jeeocacher", because before it was GO TIME (pronounced G-O Time) also my Jeep is the best car for geocaching.

Okies - I'll play. I'm an empath (though it hasn't helped me with caching, yet anyway) and I also teach Compassionate Communication (aka NVC), which is based on empathy and heart connection with others. Empathic Heart Communication is the name of my biz and I use it for my net handle too. Not very sexy or funny, but there it is. It's an improvement from Dancing Giraffe, which I was for a few years prior - long story but also related to NVC. :D

You can read more about NVC HERE.

Edited by Empathic Heart

I opened a scrapbooking store called Defining Moments in September 2004. Why? My 16 year old daughter was involved in an near fatal motor vehicle accident in June 2003. She wanted to scrapbook and journal her miraculous recovery and the last 2 years of rehabilitation. It also helped with her memory loss as she suffered a severe brain injury.

Fast forward to today, geocaching is something the 3 younger boys can also participate in. Their excitement is so much fun. Geocaching has become a very bonding and healing activity for the whole family.

Thank you!!!!! <_<

We changed Defining Moments into Definding Moments.

Our name is simple and easy. My sweetie and I are always together playing and having a good time :lol: ....Life isn't fun unless we are together. We've been together for over 20 years. Well our last name is Duck...Yep....so if you see us you see us as a pair o ducks :lol:

pair o dux <_<

:huh:

My caching name? Go to any boardwalk along the Jersey Shore and you'll inevitably find at least one joint selling zeppoles; greasy, sweet deep-fried blobs of dough dusted with powdered sugar. Eat a bagful of them and you'll understand where the "Led" part of my name comes from. By leaving the "a" out of "led," my name also becomes a takeoff on Led Zeppelin, thereby adding to the comic value.

I try to do a lot of calculating and problem solving at work.

People in the office often come to me with questions concerning anything from simple math and volume equivelants to foriegn words and dialects.

Someone asked my manager a question and she responded "He's over there tabulating an answer now." I used it as a screen name with my age at the time (30). When I turned 32, I updated my screen name. Its too much hassle to change again.

Guess how old I am now?! :)

I had a 1962 chevy shortbox stepside pic-up when my oldest daughter was around 5 years old.I thought it was a pretty fast truck with the 350 engine and 4 speed and the 411 gears in the rear.Well I was bragging about it one day and my daughter said my truck was only half fast.I made a custom tailgate with halffast cut into the diamond plate and put a red lense with lights in.Going down the road at night my taillights looked like HALFFAST .I now have a 57 chevy wagon that will someday be HALFFAST II

We choose our screen name because our three year old son has "facial expression overload syndrome" and after watching a lot of Veggie Tales learned there was a name for one of his most common ones.....Angry Eyebrows...(from Larry Boy and the Angry Eyebrows.) I think if I did it right, his picture will be on this post as the avatar, but since I am new to the forum, it might not be too. Angry Eyebrows's mom in Juneau

Ours is rather self-explanatory. Normally, I try to go by "piglet" or some variation of that, but since I wanted Jake to feel like part of the "team" and that he wasn't just accompanying me on my quests (as getting us involved in geocaching was all my idea), I decided to include him in the name. It is rather boring though and we may change it one day :)

-Karen

My geonick really has nothing to do with caching. It has everything to do with the online screen name I've used for everything since about 1996. There are only a handful of places where I don't use this same name and that's because someone else had it first. On those boards/sites, I'm simply AtlantaGalToo.

My screen name is of course my girlfriend's name and mine together.

<--- My avatar is a holdover from my usual screen name ViPER.

I took it from Top Gun, and when I started BBSing (around 1990), it's the one I chose. I used it here when I began, but changed it soon after my gf also became [willingly] involved in the geocaching experience. So I changed it to suit us both. She wouldn't scome up with a cool name to compliment ViPER, so..

Karen summed our situation up quite well:

...but since I wanted Jake to feel like part of the "team" and that he wasn't just accompanying me on my quests (as getting us involved in geocaching was all my idea), I decided to include him in the name. It is rather boring though and we may change it one day
Edited by Marcie/Eric
My geonick really has nothing to do with caching. It has everything to do with the online screen name I've used for everything since about 1996. There are only a handful of places where I don't use this same name and that's because someone else had it first. On those boards/sites, I'm simply AtlantaGalToo.

Same here, AtlantaGal. My initial cache name was my normal online handle: tomfarr. That is my late brother's first and middle names. I do run into places on the net where it has already been taken.

After about 9 months I began working on something more descriptive of myself - especially in geocaching terms.

Viper, you need to work on yours... :huh:

Back in my younger years I took on the nickname of Grinch. Grinch is like the anti-Santa Claus and it fit me at the time, and had a nice ring to it. It helped me to name my non-startup company of SouthPole Software too...which never saw the light of day :P (Santa lives up at the North pole so it only goes that Grinch would be at the South)

That nick stayed with me for over a dozen years until I started bumping into too many other Grinchs. So I took on a couple other different nicks, all of which I still use today on occassion.

DenEye, pronounced Den Eye -- the way it is purposely spelled, is a play on my name of Dennis. I could have gone with Deni but then folks would be calling me Denny and I didn't want that.

So that's the short of it.

Edited by Deneye

When I was a kid, our family took a lot of camping trips and the adults always had funny CB handles. On a trip with our siblings and their families a couple of years ago, we decided we needed handles for the walkie talkies we were using between cars. He's Soy Sauce because he's from Vietnam and soy sauce is like another food group to him. I'm White Rice because I'm just about as white as they come. (Besides, nothing goes better with white rice than soy sauce.) Bean Sprout is our 6 month old offspring and it just seemed like it fit. :ph34r:

Well, the JetMech part is pretty self-explaining (I work on jets, F/A-18s). I had to add the "72" because jetmech was already taken. 72 is the hull number for the USS Abraham Lincoln (a ship that I've spent a lot of time on) and, coincidently, the year I was born. So there ya have it, jetmech72.

I s'pose nobody could have guessed that I like crows?

It actually goes farther than that. I've made a study of their intelligence and habits over something close to 35 years, and have learned to respect them as one of the brightest species around (man notwithstanding). Crows and ravens have a spoken "language" that science is only just beginning to interpret, and I also have a keen interest in semantics.

Why "Hopping?" Y'know, I haven't got a clue. Just kinda struck me as apt.

The one constant in everything I do (and am, for that matter) is my initials--I use them to sign the arty stuff I do, and when I changed my name a few years ago, I made a point of keeping the same initials. My initials are "JMG". So, my screen name is my initials spelled out 'cause I think it's kinda funny to spell out initials (I'm easily amused) and, y'know, it's still my initials.

Ours is rather self-explanatory. Normally, I try to go by "piglet" or some variation of that, but since I wanted Jake to feel like part of the "team" and that he wasn't just accompanying me on my quests (as getting us involved in geocaching was all my idea), I decided to include him in the name. It is rather boring though and we may change it one day :o

-Karen

Our above post makes absolutely NO sense now that we have changed our user name from "Karen&Jake" to "L337 H4X0Rz" (pronounced "leet haxorz"). I said Karen&Jake was boring and that we would probably change it, so you were warned :o

Our new user name is mostly in leetspeak and is a reference to the fact that Jake is a code monkey (I've done a little coding myself too), plus we thought it sounded a lot cooler than Karen&Jake.

-Karen