SCREEN NAME IS MORE THAN AN ALIAS

mystic is the name of one of our cats (we no longer have) and angel is our other furr ball. I thought MysticAngel sounded good. When I became a premium member I also included my spouse ,so we didn't have to pay for and double log caches, so I added Team at his insistance. Hes not exactly happy with the name but he deals with it. We don't want to have to redo everything we've signed so far.

mystic is the name of one of our cats (we no longer have) and angel is our other furr ball. I thought MysticAngel sounded good. When I became a premium member I also included my spouse ,so we didn't have to pay for and double log caches, so I added Team at his insistance. Hes not exactly happy with the name but he deals with it. We don't want to have to redo everything we've signed so far.

I can sympathize with your husband. For the longest time our handle was momofkje, despite dad (me) doing most of the caching.

Ours aren't all that exciting.

Back in the day, when I was in college, we played this new game called Magic: The Gathering. There was a card called the Uthden Troll, which one of my friends decided looked like me. They started calling me The Troll, which eventually got shortened to Benhamtroll (my last name attached to troll). Rather than becoming upset, I embraced it and made it my identity. 10+ years later we all still use it.

The Shrink is my wife. She's a psychologist (just got hooded on 4-30-05!). I was going to call her Pseudo-Doctor, but that irks her.

Rainbow Girl is our 6 year old daughter. I let her pick her own geocaching name. I was going to call her Monkey, but I didn't want to appear cruel.

Wee . . .

Ours aren't all that exciting.

Back in the day, when I was in college, we played this new game called Magic: The Gathering. There was a card called the Uthden Troll, which one of my friends decided looked like me. They started calling me The Troll, which eventually got shortened to Benhamtroll (my last name attached to troll). Rather than becoming upset, I embraced it and made it my identity. 10+ years later we all still use it.

The Shrink is my wife. She's a psychologist (just got hooded on 4-30-05!). I was going to call her Pseudo-Doctor, but that irks her.

Rainbow Girl is our 6 year old daughter. I let her pick her own geocaching name. I was going to call her Monkey, but I didn't want to appear cruel.

Wee . . .

I remember Uthden Troll! That's cool. So you're admitting to the rest of us that you look like THIS? :laughing:

Well I would assume that the title is misleading. I mean we all pick a name for a particualar reason. Its not like we are all John Doe around here.

1. Magic; A psuedo Sig Item I leave in caches (that are big enough) are Magic: The Gathering sampler packs. (Think Yugioh/Pokemon cards, but the Original Game that invented the concept-- and Light years ahead in terms of Strategy) I worked for Wizards of the Coast (Retail) and when our shop closed I took all the promotional items (They where to be trash anyway). The packs have 11 cards in it, and literature on the game and its history. -A free sample type packaging. (However, the cards inside are worth a combined $1.00+ )

2.Meeko; After the Raccoon. I like Raccoons and always have. I use 'Meeko' in some form or another on a lot of other non-gc forums I frequent.

I also go by Electronicwaffle/Ewaffle but I dont have any electronic waffles lying around. (That name is another long story, for another time.)

Our team name came from the Dr. Who Episode "the Face of Evil". Sevateem is a degraded "survey team". And the Teash (Paul) who joins us on occastion is the Technician. He keeps the computers running. Our logo is the T.A.R.D.I.S. .

A person has to be into Dr. Who to understand .

Well, We recently had to take a bunch of supplies from Seattle to Arkansas. We then decided to head over to Santa Fe and head home form there. All in all, it was over 5,500 miles in 5 days. Quite a road trip.

We talked about our plans for the future which includes building a teardrop trailer (because 2 middle-aged women with middle-aged spread don't fit in the back of a ford explorer sport trac) and seeing more of this beautiful country.

I decided to start a blog which I call roadtrippin' and now that I have been sucked into Geocaching, I decided to use roadtrippin' as my name here. No doubt this hobby is going to fit into our travel plans very well.

And now that I have regaled you all with our adventures, it is time to go find a cache or two.

icon_rolleyes.gif<!--graemlin::ph34r:--> How did you develope your screen name?<BR><BR> I've often wondered about some of the crazy screen names attached to geocachers. Some are obvious. (maybe not icon_confused.gif<!--graemlin::confused:-->) Some are downright hilarious icon_biggrin.gif<!--graemlin::rolleyes:-->.<BR><BR> Several people have questioned mine, so here is the explanation:<BR><BR><BR> I recently spent 9 months in Australia. Aussies definitely enjoy the english language.<BR><BR> Among other quirks, the Aussies use a lot of slang including some Cockney rhyming slang.<BR><BR> In Cockney rhyming slang, septic tank refers to Americans. (Tank rhymes with Yank)<BR><BR> Being a Yank, I thought sept1c_tank fit pretty well.<BR><BR><BR><BR> HOW DID YOU ARRIVE AT YOUR SCREEN NAME?

oh thought it meant you were full of.... :rolleyes:

"nyarlotep" is my unintentional misspelling of Nyarlathotep, a creature from HP Lovecraft pulp horror from the 20s and 30s.

I use another creature, Shoggoth, as my name when gaming online usually, but Shoggoth and Nyarlathotep are usually taken by the time I sign up for anything, so I got out of the habit of even trying to get them as usernames and just use nyarlotep on all my message boards.

I always liked the demons' names in Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos--they sound dark and powerful; thick, guttural, glottal names.

How did you develope your screen name?

When I first registered with Groundspeak I was using a handle that I use on most other forums that I participate on. But, since my wife is my numero uno geocache hunting buddy I changed it to TeamTeeGee. My name is Tim, hers is Gina...T and G...TeeGee...and the rest was history. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well I started as dvand a shortend version of my name. Then after a couple geo outings when some one let me play with some lighter fluid my name was changed. I realy dont know why people started calling me it i was just makeing shure all the charcole was lit. :unsure: But people always know thell be a good capfire at my camping sight and i dont need to give cords for people to find it.

Those who have read any of Iain M. Bank's novels set in the 'Culture' universe* will recognise my nic' here. I've used this name for a number of years on Net forums and when I discovered caching mid-03 it seemed to fit nicely.

Fits even better now that I drive a Green Subaru Vehicle. :unsure:

The avatar is our family crest - with a suitable background added.

*If you haven't, then I'd recommend "The Player of Games" as a good start.

Well, Eleri started out as my SCA name about 14years ago, and just stuck. Only the bank and the government uses my real name anymore. And my other half's nickname since highschool is Blade, cause otherwise he deals with iceskating jokes.

*shrug* nothing fancy. And easier than using 'lakem and 'xaruhm, which is our names in his constructed language. ('poet' and 'storm', respectively)

Oh, and the icon is a D'ni KI, which is like a combo GPS, camera and cel phone, and "Eleri Blade Hamilton" in D'ni around it.

Edited by EleriandBlade

I've recently (last year) taken on the chosen first name of "Luna". "Lunaverse" is just an extension of that.

When I first thought of the word, I did a whois, and discovered the domain name was unregistered. I figured if no one had registered it yet, no one was going to, and I had a little time.

Three weeks later, I went to register it, and a cybersquatter picked it up. I offered them $50 for it, but they stuck to their guns for $300. As far as I know, they still have it, unsold. I can only hope they'll deem it unwanted and will let it go when it comes up for renewal.

Luna

I read a lot of Mystery novels and had originally intended to leave paperback mysteries as a trading item in the caches. I quickly discovered that most caches are not big enough for that but by then I had already been using the name for some time so I didn't want to change.

My Girlfriend and I always liked each other, long before we were together. Neither of us were entirely certain of this fact though! :laughing: We had always been in relationships when the other was single, but we always hit it off despite the fact.

Eventually a time came around where we were both single. We were at a friends house for a small party when we started playing a game called Apples To Apples. In this game you get a handfull of cards that have a word, name or place on them. A card is flipped by someone in the center of the table which lists something you need to offer your card in relation to. So the card flipped might say something like DRAMATIC, you would find a card in your hand that you felt was DRAMATIC and place it on the table facedown. The alternating player who at that point was the judge would shuffle the cards, read them and decide which he or she felt was the most fitting. You could be sarcastic, straight or play to the judge with this game. It all depends on peoples senses of humour.

Through out the evening we ended up flirting shamelessly with each other using this game to our advantage. When the night was over we had confirmation of each others interest so decided to pursue it. After a long night of talking and a long walk in the morning in a beautiful green space here in ontario. We decided to make a go of it and have never looked back since.

My love of the outdoors and her willingness and desire to become "outdoorsy" are what led us to purchase the GPS so we could always find new places to walk and I guess continuously experience that first night together. When we started trying to think up an alias for GC.com It was pretty simple to figure out what we should use.

Its become a very important part of our relationship, it allows us to always find time for each other, for taking walks and talking (about the trivial and meaningful). And allowed us to be closer and more open with each other than I think most couples tend to be.

I think people should consider doing this before shelling out big bucks on marriage counsellers, its cheaper and they will keep in shape :o

My caching partner and I were hiking in the Allegheny national forest (PA) last summer. The ferns there would rustle for no apparent reason so we started saying that it was because of the wildebeests. Apparently, they would run a string to a plant and shake it. Then while you were looking at the plant in question, the beest would pounce on you from behind. We laughed for miles about the stupid things and now anytime we hear a snapped twig, or anything like that in the woods, it's the wildebeest spys coming for us.

Nice story, Apples! :o:laughing:

Thanks, I like it :D <grin>

Actually I am planning on popping the question to her this summer. I am going to set up an "Amazing Race" type of quest for her. I use the word quest as no one will be racing us. I plan on getting her to travel all around with me during our vacation. Doing puzzles, challenges and what not to gain rewards and hints at each leg (which will be friends places or meaningful locations) all accumulating into one big puzzle at the end where I will somehow pop the question. Haven't completly worked that part out yet. But I will deffinately be working some small amount of GPS work and geocaching into it somehow :D

But alas, thats off topic so I'll stop typing now... good thing my girl doesn't read the forums :D

Nice story, Apples!  :D  :D

Thanks, I like it :laughing: <grin>

Actually I am planning on popping the question to her this summer. I am going to set up an "Amazing Race" type of quest for her. I use the word quest as no one will be racing us. I plan on getting her to travel all around with me during our vacation. Doing puzzles, challenges and what not to gain rewards and hints at each leg (which will be friends places or meaningful locations) all accumulating into one big puzzle at the end where I will somehow pop the question. Haven't completly worked that part out yet. But I will deffinately be working some small amount of GPS work and geocaching into it somehow :o

But alas, thats off topic so I'll stop typing now... good thing my girl doesn't read the forums :D

That is so awesome!! She will definitely accept!

I got mine at the start of the 2004 season. Having Foulke and Schilling I thought the Sox had to win it. I got ragged on all season, especially down 3 games to the Yankees. That's when I created the Red Sox Traveling Cache TB and the rest is history. Now I'm proud to have a name that has some history behind it.

Nice story, Apples!  :P  :D

Thanks, I like it :laughing: <grin>

Actually I am planning on popping the question to her this summer. I am going to set up an "Amazing Race" type of quest for her. I use the word quest as no one will be racing us. I plan on getting her to travel all around with me during our vacation. Doing puzzles, challenges and what not to gain rewards and hints at each leg (which will be friends places or meaningful locations) all accumulating into one big puzzle at the end where I will somehow pop the question. Haven't completly worked that part out yet. But I will deffinately be working some small amount of GPS work and geocaching into it somehow :o

That is so awesome!! She will definitely accept!

Certainly hope so, as you can imagine I am putting a lot of work into it :D

My kids and I like the cartoon The Fairly Odd Parents. They dubbed me their Fairly Odd Mother. I figured I wasnt the only "odd" one in this family, afterall we are related :D. So, we agreed that we are the Fairly Odd Family and the name stuck.

Fairly Odd Mother of the Fairly Odd Family <:0)

The only person who has such a Name must have

FAIRY

GOD

PARENTS!!!

You get an F!!!!

And for some strange reason I feel the need to spend 100 for a GPS system and go

GEOCACHING!!!!

Well at the time we started geocaching we had about 6 dogs.

1 rottweiler

3 labs (2 black, 1 yellow)

1 pitbull lab mix

1 one rodesian ridgeback dachsend cross (w/ a napolian complex)

So when we take them out they looked like a bunch of Junkyard dogs. We started having problems with them getting out so we got rid of 4 of them and in there honor we are the junkyard dogs.

Mine was actually issued to me by the Military!! :lol: Back in 1991 we received our first computer system for flight following our aircraft. They issued me a username based on my real name. I dropped a letter and a number from the end, and have used it ever since as my main username.

I'm now retired and in civil service, but still have the original username for our flight following system! :D

It was in another discussion.

I have to say it is a great game, if you ever get the chance to. Play it! You won't be disappointed.

I have. :unsure: It's great fun, especially with the custom cards you can print. I just don't own it, so I didn't put it in my list of games.

Luna

Being of Scottish descent, Loch is the first four letters of my last name. Everyone knows Loch means lake, but it also means field of. Therefore my last name means field of rye (although lake of rye could be interesting :unsure: ) and my geocaching name means field of caches. :blink:

Loc Cache

Edited by Loch Cache

seems like as good a place as any to make an introduction

ovoadmala comes from the latin phrase ab ovo usque ad mala meaning from the egg to the apples. as i may or may not remember correctly, it's from the traditional roman banquest which started with eggs and ended with fruits. i always like the metaphor of life as a banquet to be sampled from, from beginning to end, so i shorted it into ovoadmala as my online moniker. i use it on the other forums i participate in and as my domain name for a personal website that i have great intentions of developing for real some day...