SCREEN NAME IS MORE THAN AN ALIAS

DaveA: you shouldn't require any help figuring that one out :o

Actually there is a reason why I use my actual first name and last name initial. It is very common. Google on it and you will find hundreds if not thousands of pages. Try and tell which is me and which isn't.

A while back I was using a fairly unique username on every board I posted to. One thing led to another and something I said on a board became known to a person I knew in real life. The result was ugly.

Since that time I have endeavored to be honest with who I am, but to be so generic that it is impossible to know if any post on a particular site beongs to me or not.

DaveA is not the current username I use elsewhere, instead I have gone through a few and have settled on the username "username". It is only on boards where I can't use that handle for whatever reason that I chose something else.

Hmm, I am on my 6th Jeep right now, having owned 3 at one time, and still have the 2 currently. Looking to get another 2 Jeeps sometime this summer, another wrangler for the Mrs, and a SJ or a MJ for a quick camping vehicle.

We GeoCache as a family, we Jeep as a family, shoot we do lots of stuff as a family. So, it was a easy leap to the name.

When I got started, I didn't know if this would be for me. I figured if it was gonna be temporary, no need to be creative. So, I just used a adaptation of my email address;

jake is a name one of my buddies calls me and the 4729 is my last name, just transposed onto the buttons of a phone: G=4, R=7, A=2, and Y=9.

I intended to change the moniker if I got to 20 finds, then I decided on 50 finds. Then I figured I'd sort of already established myself as jake4729 and maybe shouldn't change it. Okay, maybe at 200 finds; Nope. 300? Nope. I've given up on the idea of changing it; it's not creative, but by this time, it's definately become who I am in the geocaching world....

jake

In 1992 or thereabouts, I couldn't get the AOL screen name "Marc" or "Silverman" or even "Marcus" or similar possibilities. (And the 10 letter limit made my full name unusable).

SilverMarc was an available concatenation (with thay snazzy interCap), and it has stuck for all these years as my domain name, and primary handle for all things internet.

--Marc

March 11, 2005 @ 11:37 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

On August 1, 2000, in Yellowstone National Park, my brother and I were both hit by lightning, while enjoying Black Label around a picnic table and enjoying ... wait for it ... an electrical storm. Who'd have thought? Well, it's one of those life-altering experiences, whichever way it turns out. Luckily, it turned out well for both of us, and aside from two bad knees (and, for awhile, ulcers from the medication for said bad knees), no lasting scars.

Jeff

i play paintball and in doing so i accuired the name "sniper bob" because of my well hiding and shooting skills. this name was changed over time by a rather burt-out friend to "sniper carl" and them "sniper maurice". well maurice stuck. many people know me only as maurice nothing else. i liked the name. then one day i was sitting on the john reader an Uncle Johns Bathroom Reader (look it up) and i came across some interesting stories and facts about Butch Cassidy and The Sundace Kid. well it turns out the Butch Cassidy was born Robert Leroy Cassidy. Robert Leroy Blackmer is my own name. so in true bohemian fashion i renamed myself (not officially) and adopted Butch's last name and took on my nick name of mauirce. Maurice Leroy Cassidy this is my alias and the name i use for all my new online accounts. i dont forsee a problem with somone already having this name.

peac, bob

One of my hobbies is Fly fishing and one of the flys I use a lot is the Muddler Minnow. It has been around a while in the fly fishing world (even longer in the real world) and it (the fly) was created to resemble, what else? A Muddler Minnow. It is a small creature (fish) that looks over, under and around the small rocks and pebbles and plants on the bottom of streams for prey and food items. This sounds like the beginnings of a good Lawyer joke, doesn't it? Anyway, I like the pattern and tie a lot of them for my fishing hobby. Its name seems to suggest snooping or looking around for something, so it seem to fit here.

Muddler

:lol:

I grew up on a blue berry farm in Maine. The blueberries are the short bush native variety and a field is only harvested very other year. In the off year the blueberry field is burned with giant burners that are towed behind tractors. The burners scorch the land black. After the crop land is burned and left to be picked the following year it is know as BLACK BURN land.

Well let's see... I suppose it's about time I explain my name. After all, I've only been caching for almost 2 years now. :)

Berryzang is a combination of the beginning of my wife's last name and my last name. Some people think my first name is Barry, but it's not. We were having a discussion of what to do if we got married. Would she change her name or keep it? If she changed it, what would it change to? Would she go the Madonna route and just go by her first name? This was one of the name ideas that we had in the conversation, and it became my geocaching name. And after all that thinking, she ended up keeping her last name. :lol:

Big Red Dog is somethins that people have called me all of my life. But when your first name is Clifford, you have to expect that. So I figured why fight it and adopted that as my identity. :D

When I went to library school two years ago, I figured that the stereotypical librarian was a thing of the past. I wasn't expecting to see a lot of hair buns, cardigans, glasses on chains, and polyester. HA!

Let's just say that my nose piercing and seven tattoos stuck out a bit.

At a banquet, an older man said to me, "You are the most stylish woman in the room. You are one cool librarian."

For me to be the most stylish woman in a room says an awful lot about the room!

But, I did agree that I am one Cool Librarian! :lol:

Edited by Cool Librarian
When I went to library school two years ago, I figured that the stereotypical librarian was a thing of the past. I wasn't expecting to see a lot of hair buns, cardigans, glasses on chains, and polyester. HA!

Let's just say that my nose piercing and seven tattoos stuck out a bit.

At a banquet, an older man said to me, "You are the most stylish woman in the room. You are one cool librarian."

For me to be the most stylish woman in a room says an awful lot about the room!

But, I did agree that I am one Cool Librarian!  :)

Have you seen The Modified Librarian webpage? The Modified Librarian

It's pretty interesting. My wife also wants to know if you have the librarian action figure with "amazing shushing action".

Librarian action figure :lol:

On August 1, 2000, in Yellowstone National Park, my brother and I were both hit by lightning, while enjoying Black Label around a picnic table and enjoying ... wait for it ... an electrical storm. Who'd have thought? Well, it's one of those life-altering experiences, whichever way it turns out. Luckily, it turned out well for both of us, and aside from two bad knees (and, for awhile, ulcers from the medication for said bad knees), no lasting scars.

Jeff

Few Years back I was struck by lighting  while fly fishing with some friends, when they got me to the hospital and a nurse asked what happened all I could stutter out was FLFLFLASH, its been a running joke with my friends ever since 

Wow. Isn't that supposed to be rare????? :huh:

Maybe I should re-think this outdoors thing!

I had used my nickname as an affectionate name for my woods-loving dog prior to getting into caching, but when trying to come up with something to call myself it occured to me that after a long hike I would often remove more than twice the number of the hideous little monsters from my own carcass as from his. They just seem to like me. :) Thank the gods for DEET!

Another very simple answer, its my name. It came in handy this weekend at a Geocache get together where everybody said, hey whats your name and I said DJ Hobby, whats yours?.........Super GeoCacher 989 to the 3 degree, and Yourmomisanuglypersonthatdressesyoufunny_12 _8D

My name actually came when my atheletic shape was round. I had quite a tummy on me. At the time, I was playing guitar in a blues band and because we were broke, we usually all shared the room.

One city, we were getting dressed for our show and we were donning our tuxes. I was having some trouble getting my shirt tucked in just right and had my pants undone while I smoothed the shirt into place. Suddenly, one of the guys answered a knock at the door and it was the housekeeping lady. She came in and when I saw her, I tried to sneak into the bathroom. On the way to the door, my pants slipped from my fingers, landing around my ankles and I waddled to the bathroom...wearing a tuxedo...with a chubby tummy. The housekeeper said I looked like '..cute portly penguin'.

Boys being boys, not a one of them was going to let me live that down. The name just stuck, and I've been lugging it around for about 18 years. :)

I was wondering to myself, "Who reads this topic anyways?" and suddenly found myself.. reading this topic!! :lol:

I am a HUGE commercial aviation buff, and a long while back I grabbed a copy of MS Flight Simulator. It was a great outlet for the pilot pent up in me, and continues to this day.

armchairPilot

(edited for typos)

Edited by acPilot

Team A.I. started out with Brian inviting me out to try a new game with his dad's GPS III. Since we no longer worked together and shared that schedule, it was difficult for us to keep caching together. Every couple of weeks we'd plan trip where we would both go out for a good chunk of the day caching in the desert or city, getting as many as possible. Once I got my own GPS, I wanted to log some of my finds I did with out Brian. He didn't feel right about having finds under his name that he wasn't involved with, and I felt the same way, so I created my own account. At the time we used our nicknames, but this didn't seem right. One day while hiking we were talking it over and decided that we could come up with a team name. We thought maybe we should use the initials of our nicknames, Addikt and Insomniak. Team A.I. was born. Some people thought that we were using the name because of the movie, but that was far from the truth. We are both computer geeks to the core, and it just seem to fit.

I think it was on the same hike that I noticed that our nickname initials were one letter before out given names, Addikt-Brian Insomniak-Jake. Kinda like the "HAL - IBM" thing from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Mine came from the movie, "The Day the Earth Stood Still." (Its also my avatar.)Its the first movie I can remember as a child and it kind of stuck with me. Of course some of my friends tend to think I'm a little 'spacey' anyway, with all the techno-geek stuff, so why not? Cheers.

In a galaxy far far away, about twenty five years ago, before the public internet even, I was working for a large grocery chain in the computer center in Oakland, California. I had left a voice mail for our Dallas Division Manager to call me. My name is Warren. When he called back he said, 'I need to talk to 'Warren Out'. I recognized his voice and said, 'Hi Paul, this is Warren'. He repeated he needed to talk to 'Warren Out'. I asked, 'what do you mean'. He said, 'I just got back from lunch and listened to a voicemail and it said, Hi Paul, please call Warren out in Oakland'. Well, from then on he called me 'Warren Out' everytime he called.

Just around this time our system programmer came in and said he needed a logon ID for the new remote computer system (I actually hooked up the first remote terminal for this company, yep, the one Peter McGowin just stepped down as chairman of). Anyhow, I said 'WarrenOut'. He said it had to be 8 characters of less. I trunkated it to 'wornout' and now you know the rest of the story.

Not my "birth certificate" name, but it's the one I grew up with since High School. Used it as a DJ, on the radio, as a writer and as my invariable screen name.

Oh, lightning? I've been hit seven times. Five while in airplanes and twice on the ground. Yeah, it's nasty.

Easy on ours. We are the Mom and Dad of kids initials beginning with K, J, and E. Our daughter's handle developed along the same line. Since we referred to our kids on the logs by their initials, and K logged the most caching time, she started referring to herself as Agent K, because she felt like a secret agent while caching. We assigned our boys with the Agent moniker (Agent J, Agent E) so we know which ones they've been in on.

Another easy one. If you grew up with Star Trek (The Original Series) then you've probably heard Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy look to Captain Kirk (usually while leaning over the corpse of some red-shirted security officer (NEVER wear a red shirt on Star Trek...DUH!)) and saying in his ever dramatic way, "He's dead, Jim!"

I've loved that line since I was a kid (along with MANY other Star Trek lines..."Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!")...you get the point... :(

Live long and prosper....

Well mine is pretty geeky but here goes. Back in college I played D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) with my friends. I was the "Dungeon Master", which is to say, I wrote the stories for the adventures and did my best to keep them interesting and detailed for the players. Writing D&D adventures is much like writing fictional stories, you need to invent interesting characters, settings, and a plot.

Adventures usually began at a mythical tavern and inn in the town of Wayside in the country of Schilling. This tavern, a hotspot for adventurers from all over New Irth, was known as "The Plastered Dragon Inn". So named because several hundred years prior, a young drake (male dragon) had landed on the spot during a town Octoberfest, much to the alarm of the participants. Alarm turned to surprise, and then to laughter as this drake lumbered over to a trough of beer that had been set aside for gnomes to drink from, and drank the entire contents, let out an enormous belch, and passed out on the spot.

The townsfolk had never seen anything like it, and the plastered dragon returned year after year for Octoberfest, at first an oddity, then a welcome guest, and finally the main attraction.

The dragon was an odd character... he went by the name of Abacquer, and was the hybrid offspring of the copper dragon "Morrich the Claw" and the white dragon "Tiarrel the Rime". Since he was half-white and half-copper, he described himself as a "whopper dragon". Upon reaching adulthood Abacquer took on a title as most dragons do, though the title he chose was somewhat unconventional in draconic circles... he became "Abacquer the Belch", in recognition of his love of recreational drink (particularly pink champagne) and his dubious accomplishment of being the recordholder for the longest running belch in all of New Irth--38 minutes--unbeaten and indeed unchallenged for over a century.

Of all the fictional characters I ever invented, I liked Abacquer the most, simply because he was so nutty and improbable.

As a result, whenever I sign up for any new forum or whatever, I almost always use PlasteredDragon as my moniker--if not that, then either PDragon616 or Abacquer. My website is defunct, but I still own plastereddragon.com.

And that's the story of my screen name.

I'm planning to hide my three caches in the next couple weeks, each of which will be named after a dragon from one of my stories.