Golf caching?

Guest Nomad

Guest Nomad

I've heard of GPS being used on golf courses to give terrain layout and distance from user to hole, etc...but why not take it a step farther and produce golf balls w/ microchips so that golfers could easily track the exact locations of their balls. As a beginning golfer I can say from experience that most of my time is spent looking for my ball. Yes, this is b/c I suck and most of the time my ball is not on the fairway. It may seem to costly to imbede microchips in balls, but the price of technology is constantly declining. Also I think that if this use of GPS's was implemented it would cut down on a golfers time spent on the greens. Therefore courses would have a higher turnover rate and increase revenue. Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

Guest jeremy

It's a cool idea, but a chip in a golfball wouldn't be very practical.

The force on a golfball would probably break the chip, or possibly change the center of gravity on the ball. It would be a really tiny chip (really really tiny), and be self powered for a long period of time.

Jeremy

Guest Moun10Bike

Also, a standard GPS wouldn't be able to track such a chip. You would need a separate receiver to pick up the signal and direct you to the ball. It's an interesting concept, though, and I can envision golf courses supplying said receivers for people once the technology for such chips is available.