Intro to GeoCaching CD

I recently contacted a large recreation area (owned by a utility company) near my home regarding permission to place a cache on their property. The request has been moved through channels. I am sure that at some point I will be asked to better explain just what "geocaching" is.

So to introduce them to the sport I've created a small multimedia CD presentation that can be mailed to parks, land owners, etc. It's very basic, and only takes a couple of minutes to view, but it gives them a "readers digest" version of geocaching.

I've included a few screen shots, below, if you'd like to see the format. (Keep in mind that I am no Spielberg; I had never even used the software before.)

I have geared the presentation towards convincing parks that geocaching is not to be feared.

Here's the deal. I'd like to make this available to anyone who might be able to use it in their area, but I'm not interested in making hundreds of copies. Any suggestions? Ideally, I'd love to have someone who knows HTML reproduce it for viewing with a browser. Then it could be made available on a web page.

Even zipped it's over 10 Meg. so I can't store it on my local ISP for download.

Also, I'd like to thank Hawk-Eye, his family, and friends for their wonderful suggestions and repeated viewings. They certainly helped make it better than it was.

Screen Shot 1

Screen Shot 2

Screen Shot 3

Screen Shot 4

Screen Shot 5

This will be nice and useful... Kudos to you for producing it.

Some small nitpicks, however: aren't there more than 24 satellites? I don't have my GPS handy but I think it goes up to 30 or 32. And, sadly, I don't think you can say "most" geocachers practice cache in / trash out -- maybe you can get away with "many".

Finally, you refer to "trinkets" when I believe the agreed upon term is "booty nuggets". icon_wink.gif

Nick

BT5

Some small nitpicks, however: aren't there more than 24 satellites? I don't have my GPS handy but I think it goes up to 30 or 32. And, sadly, I don't think you can say "most" geocachers practice cache in / trash out -- maybe you can get away with "many".

Finally, you refer to "trinkets" when I believe the agreed upon term is "booty nuggets". icon_wink.gif

Nick

BT5

quote:
Originally posted by BT5:

Nitpicks are welcome! The book I have on GPS says 24 satellites so that's what I used. If anyone knows for sure please post it here.

I agree with the "most" versus "many". I'll modify it.

And thanks to all for offering to convert it. I'll be in touch.

geospotter,

You sure come up with the good ideas. You might want to look at Powerpoint for producing the "show". It has the option to save the slideshow as HTML which can be viewed thru a browser on a webpage or stand-a-lone thru a browser. It also has the normal "VCR" buttons for forward and backward.

Another package is Flip Album CD maker which puts a presentation together for a CD and displays like a spiral notebook.

If I can help, you've got my email.

Rich

Slightly off topic but what program did you use? We are interested in doing up a little CD-Rom to put in caches with photo's. I'd like the looks of the screen shots you have and wonder if it creates a self-executable file when you save it to the disc?

mgc.jpg

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

quote:
Originally posted by Wander Lost:

Slightly off topic but what program did you use? We are interested in doing up a little CD-Rom to put in caches with photo's. I'd like the looks of the screen shots you have and wonder if it creates a self-executable file when you save it to the disc?

I used Macromedia's Authorware for the one above and, yes it creates a self-running executable. Its transitions for each object (such as photos) are very nice. I am also taking Rich's advice and trying it in Powerpoint (so far so good). As Rich points out, Flip Album CD also creates a nice presentation for photos.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

I like it!

Just a thought, but what about including some excerpts from some of the a/v news stories (positive ones of course!) that are linked to from the geocache main page? I'm sure some permissions would be needed....

Would like to get a copy when done.... will pay for cd, shipping, etc.

Nice job!

I have one suggestion though... on the second slide, could you refer to the cache as something other than 'Hidden Treasure'. That phrase has many undesirable connotations of treasure hunters with shovels... partly fostered by the many treasure hunting magazines around.

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

The only suggestion I would make is that you have one photo used twice...

Would it be possible to insert a different photo on the "I found it" slide showing kids?

Markwell, you read my mind (almost). I was looking for a family photo to replace the first photo where it mentions "family activity", and leave the second photo with the "find" area. I know many cachers have family caching photos, but I have something specific in mind. I also don't want to run into "release" problems with any photos I use so I usually shoot my own.

But your idea is right on.

In the original version there are sounds, photo transitions, timed reveals, etc. that disappear when converted for the web, so it ends up looking like a slide show. I've written a Powerpoint version, but it also loses the effects when converted to HTML. Authorware CAN be viewed over the Web, but it requires a plug-in. I'll continue with it until I find some way to deliver its full-featured version. Until then I'll just hand them a mini-CD.

Keep the suggestions coming. I'd like to make this as nice as possible so that we can all use it effectively.

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

Kudos to you both!

Are we given cart blanche to show this off to others? (park rangers and such?)

Thanks for the kudos. Before I give carte blanche I would like to finish it. Right now it is very much a "work in progress". Also, I'd like to get Jeremy's permission for the use of the two logos. Once completed, then, yes, everyone can use it.

geospotter,

We are delighted to see someone making an effort to "introduce" geocaching using a multi-media presentation of some sort. We enjoyed reading the comments and suggestions of others on this topic and will continue to watch for new developments.

When we got into geocaching last September there were only three caches in our entire county. Now geocaching.com lists more than 130 active caches under our zip code (95531). Now, that's a lot of growth in less than 8 months. But along with the growth of the sport in our area has come the potential for problems.

We live in Del Norte County, California which is home to Redwood National and State Parks, the Smith River National Forest and Recreation Area and the new Tolowa Dunes State Park. A very large percentage of Del Norte County is under state or federal ownership and control. Our "Redwood Country" is a terrific area for geocaching but, as you can see, it's also a "sensitive" area. The upper echelon of personnel in the local state park offices are indicating some concern about the negative impacts of geocaching. This concern is not the result of any particular problems that have occured here (so far there haven't been any); it is the result of rumblings picked up both from "Headquarters" and from the various supervisor's counterparts in other regions.

The Redwood Country Geocaching Association (now forming), has been working to cultivate an awareness of and (positive) interest in geocaching among the local park superintendents and head rangers. We have made it known to these people that we share the concern that the sport's rapid growth could lead to serious problems. We've discussed the fact that geocaching, by its very nature, flys in the face of the "Leave No Trace" principal. We've tried to offset this by talking up "Cache In, Trash Out".

So far, we've been well received but the superintendents and rangers have a definite wait and see attitude. It's been made clear to us that the impacts of bad geocaching and/or excessive geocaching could cause the sport to be shut down in much of Del Norte County.

A well conceived and executed multi-media presentation on geocaching would have been (and still would be) helpful to us here. Undoubtedly, it would be helpful anywhere there is significant geocaching activity. IMHO, it's advisable, if not essential, that such a presentation acknowledge the potential for negative impacts to result from "bad and/or excessive" geocaching but it should also demonstrate that MOST/MANY? geocachers are sensitive to the environment and practice "Cache In, Trash

Out" as practically a requisite for participation in the sport. The message has to be gotten out that geocaching, overall, is more good than bad.

This link http://www.seesthewind.com/geocaching.htm

will take you to the geocaching section of our personal website. Like the rest of our site, this section is still a work-in-progress but we think it's coming along nicely. We hope that you and others who come across this post will visit and sign the Guestbook. We would be pleased to include a link to the web version of your presentation (lack of effects notwithstanding). Just let us know when you think it's developed well enough for that. I won't link to it without your permission.

We know that there are several *good* personal geocaching websites out there. We intend to link to these soon with their owner's permission.

Sorry for such a long post but I think this is a very important topic.

I'm out of my mind right now but you can leave a beep after the message.

I have loaded a new HTML version here for your viewing pleasure.

Still no animation (I'm working on it), but if you are using a 56K modem the slow download speed approximates it somewhat. Until I get an HTML version that doesn't require a plug-in this "slide show" version will have to do. I am also waiting to hear from Jeremy regarding the use of the logos and cache page.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.