How to create own Mapsource map, or better... how to stitch scans together

elsinga

Hi all!

I have a nice Michelin map op the Gran Canaria island. It even has a lat/lon grid printed on it. Since the GPS V basemap and the Worldmap are quite useless on Gran Canaria, I would like to make my own map.

I know MapDekode and Ozi, but to use them I need a good quality scanned map. Since the Michelin map is too larger to fit under my scanner, I need to stitch 4 to 6 scans together.

How do I do this? I can operate Paintshop Pro just fine, but either is a small error on the top or on the bottom of the stitching area...

Help? icon_smile.gif

--

Robert Elsinga =8-)

geocaching (at) elsinga.org

quote:
I know MapDekode and Ozi, but to use them I need a good quality scanned map. Since the Michelin map is too larger to fit under my scanner, I need to stitch 4 to 6 scans together.

How do I do this? I can operate Paintshop Pro just fine, but either is a small error on the top or on the bottom of the stitching area...

I just returned from a conference for my other significant hobby, kite aerial photography (low level aerial photographs using kites to lift a camera). There was much discussion about this topic. You may find the Panoguide review of software of value as well as the rest of the sight.

George

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

I have several pieces of software that will stitch them. I would be happy to do it for you, depending on the size of the originals (for emailing purposes).

Let me know how many and how big they are.

They are quite large... I currently tries with 6 overlapping segments (3x2), which are all several megabytes in size... icon_frown.gif

Another problem is that my scanner is not exactly aligned I guess. It seems to have a half of a degree angle... icon_frown.gif But correcting that angle in PSP doesn't work either... when the top is okay, the bottom isn't.

I guess using the software myself is easier, in size that is. What software are you using?

Or, are there A3 scanners? The map itself is 42x35cm... which I could reduce on a photocopier, but then I loose detail since the map itself is scale 1:150.000 already.

I just maybe better off in therapy, so I don't want my GPS on vacation. icon_smile.gif

--

Robert Elsinga =8-)

To stitch the 6 images (2X3) I would probably use either PanaVue Image Assembler or Quickstitch.

Both are capable of correcting any differences introduced by the scanner.

If you could reduce their size through resizing or by compressing them (JPG), I would be happy to try. Just get them down to a reasonable size for emailing.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

To stitch the 6 images (2X3) I would probably use either PanaVue Image Assembler or Quickstitch.

Both are capable of correcting any differences introduced by the scanner.

I'll try them, thanks!

quote:

If you could reduce their size through resizing or by compressing them (JPG), I would be happy to try. Just get them down to a reasonable size for emailing.

Resizing is not an option, since I need max resolution to plot roads in OziExplorer. Compression is, but they are already GIF compressed images... and will not compress much more.

But I'll try myself first.

Thanks for the assistance, I might need more. icon_smile.gif

--

Robert Elsinga =8-)

quote:
Originally posted by Dad and the Dynamic Duo:

I just returned from a conference for my other significant hobby, kite aerial photography (low level aerial photographs using kites to lift a camera).

How wierd is that? (Not the hobby.) This morning on Slashdot, there is a topic about just that. I've never heard of this before, and there it is, wham-bam in two places.

I wonder if it's a sign...?

- - - - -

Wisconsin Geocaching Association

Robert,

Please save your images as JPG and email them to me. Something doesn't sound right.

I have used PanaVue to create large maps and had no problems.

Better yet, just send two of the images and I'll try to stitch. If that works I'll have you send the rest.

Email me through this site and I'll forward my email address.