Live Chat? Anyone else think it would be nice?

Just wondering if anyone else out there thinks that a live chat room in here would be a nice thing to have? The forums are great, but there are a lot of things that could probably be handled much more easily in a live-chat enviroment, especially "Can you help me with" type of issues. Something for the admins to consider? Just thinking out loud......

Would you believe I searched for any threads on that topic, and got a nill reply? Yeah I have seen a couple of IRC chats (which are usually empty when I check them out) but I meant in here, to go along with the forums.

"...climbs into tupperware, pulls lid tight on top of him..."

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Groundspeak could really cut down on message board traffic if they put a chat link on geocaching.com.

What makes you think that? Every OTHER question that is already answered on geocaching.com still gets asked every single week, why would this one be any different?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

What makes you think that? Every OTHER question that is already answered on geocaching.com still gets asked every single week, why would this one be any different?

How many people post messages asking how to get to the discussion forums?

"Discussion Forums? Anyone else think it would be nice?"

Oh man, time to troll big time. icon_biggrin.gif You've all just witnessed the creation of wonder.

I don't think that most people in CJ's chat room are all that alive. They are all mostly from the north and tend to hibernate this time of year. Maybe things will pick up in the spring when they all thaw out..... or get back home from Florida.

icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. If you ever want to feel really insecure about your computer skills this is the place to go. icon_wink.gif

Happy Ides of March to ya

Have you guys thought about using an existing chat platform and making a *caching* page that you could all link up on ?? I met my husband in chat.. Excite.com has a good one and its not just textual.. you actually have an avatar you can use to represent your *physical* presence in the room and move it around... If anyone is good at making web pages you could create your own little haven in there. The lag is minimal and although it was a better chat venue before they went belly up.. its still a good place for real time chat... there are a few spin off chats that use the old VP client .. babbleOn is one it is free and there are gestures, games and file send capabilities as per the old excite vp platform... if you are interested i can post where to download the chat client and how to log in...

Lysa icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by lysa:

Have you guys thought about using an existing chat platform and making a *caching* page that you could all link up on ??

Hi Lysa!

The big "joke" is that we already HAVE one. If people would read a little, or hit the search button in the forums before posting a new topic, they would see that they can find up at gcchat.clayjar.com

While it's not all fancy with avatars and such, it IS a web interface to a good old fashioned IRC channel. That means that pretty much anyone with any type of computer can get to it with a IRC client at irc.freenode.net #geocache. It's not just limited to computers usung windows.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I've been to Clayjars chat room several times. The only problem I see with it...is no one in there ever discusses Geocaching...or at least not any of the times I was in there.

Of course no matter where you set up a chat it will be the same thing...so I quess his is as good as any.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

quote:
Originally posted by El Diablo:

I've been to Clayjars chat room several times. The only problem I see with it...is no one in there ever discusses Geocaching...or at least not any of the times I was in there.

Of course no matter where you set up a chat it will be the same thing...so I quess his is as good as any.

El Diablo

Face it, as you might have noticed here in the forums, you can only talk so much about just geocaching. The cool thing is, I've made real friends through geocaching, and not all are even local to me. I don't know about you, but I talk about more then just one subject with my friends. Monday nights during the "official" chat, we try and stay on the topic of caching, but any other time, everything is fair game. It might be cooking, music, GPX programing, cars, boats, vacation, you name it. If someone does have a specific geocaching question, people are always willing to help. Some very clever cache ideas have been hashed out in the middle of the night!

I'm hooked on it, and I yet to be there when it is official night. Being a newbie I have learned just by watching others talk about how they did their caches, I have a lot of ideals now for when I place my next one.

The early bird gets the worm, but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese.

quote:

quote:

El Diablo

Face it, as you might have noticed here in the forums, you can only talk so much about just geocaching. The cool thing is, I've made real friends through geocaching, and not all are even local to me. I don't know about you, but I talk about more then just one subject with my friends. Monday nights during the "official" chat, we try and stay on the topic of caching, but any other time, everything is fair game. It might be cooking, music, GPX programing, cars, boats, vacation, you name it. If someone does have a specific geocaching question, people are always willing to help. Some very clever cache ideas have been hashed out in the middle of the night!

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

OK who made FRIENDS with Mopar!!!! I want names and dates!!!!! We had a meeting people, this was NOT supposed to happen!

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

quote:

Face it, as you might have noticed here in the forums, you can only talk so much about just geocaching. The cool thing is, I've made real friends through geocaching, and not all are even local to me. I don't know about you, but I talk about more then just one subject with my friends. Monday nights during the "official" chat, we try and stay on the topic of caching, but any other time, everything is fair game. It might be cooking, music, GPX programing, cars, boats, vacation, you name it. If someone does have a specific geocaching question, people are always willing to help. Some very clever cache ideas have been hashed out in the middle of the night!"

I didn't know there was an official night to discuss Geocaching...so that might explain it.

Please don't get me wrong. I wasn't demeaning his chat room at all. I understand perfectly how other topics will come up besides Geocaching and people will run with it. That's why I said, his is as good as any that could be set up. It is the nature of people to wander off topic, to discuss other things. After all we all have other interest besides Geocaching.

I can see a need for a chat that deals with Geocaching help however. Maybe Clayjar would set aside a special night just for that.

El Diablo

everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

quote:

El Diablo

I'm glad it doesn't have to stay STRICTLY geocaching. I was able to fix a computer problem I was having that didn't allow my serial port on my laptop to function. Now my GPS can "talk" to my laptop. Thanks to help I got in Clayjars chat.

Just because you're paranoid DOESN'T mean they're not ALL out to get you.