Hiding technique forum, a good idea?

With the recent complaints of the perceived inability to hide a cache in a particular spot I was thinking of a way to help others with ideas at hiding things in the environment. A major problem is the fact these could be major spoilers, especially if one knows the area the technique poster is from. We've seen a few examples of clever containers, but nothing of the simpler but very well done hides.

There are some very clever hiders, but not all of us are blessed with having one in our area. I was thinking it would be nice to spread the wealth.

I was wondering, if it's even possible, could a forum section be created in which anon sockpuppet accounts* be created to insulate the "poster" from the "hider" and posters could post clever ideas of how to hide caches. Another reason for a seperate section is if you don't want anything spoiled for you, a seperate section will help reduce the posibility of seeing something you didn't want to see.

A few of ground rules I can think of right off the bat:

- Get permission from the cache owner. After all, it's his/her cache. But it doesn't have to be the owner that posts the idea--again, this is too seperate the poster from the hider.

- No in-the-wild photos posted. Emailed amongst ourselves should be fine.

- Links to the actual cache page very much discouraged, even by cache owner.

The concept is to share clever hiding ideas, not create a major spoiler repository. It's a fine line, I understand, but something I think is worthy of trying.

My question is, do you think it an idea worth trying?

CR

*Sockpuppet accounts created only within the UBB system. Otherwise, accounts created globaly.

72057_2000.gif

I'm not talking about cache schemes. I'm talking being able to walk into a park and being able to to place a traditional cache because you've gotten a few ideas of how hide things from the forum. That instead of trying to come up with a completely new category of cache because can't think of a way to hide it.

Not everyone has a couple hundred finds to draw from, creative users in their area, or quite frankly, highly creative themselves.

I would have figured I'd get more of a postive response than this when we have multi-page threads on camouflage techniques.

Oh, well, I wouldn't have know unless I asked.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Your idea is basically a good one, but the solution's a bit too complicated. As an alternative, how about creating a private topic? Invite several people (NOT from your local area) who have a reputation as being clever hiders. Then, brainstorm your ideas without the whole world being able to see them.

I've seen this used successfully once and it was fun to participate in the development of a puzzle cache.

Another idea is to visit IRC Channel #geocache (a/k/a ClayJar's chatroom) and ask questions or float ideas to the masses assembled there. I've worked on many cache ideas in there. For example, WarmFuzzies - Fuzzy from Indiana was instrumental in supplying the "trick" for the key step in one of my Pittsburgh multicaches. He probably doesn't even remember it. And umc shared a great hiding technique; even sent me a diagram of how to set it up -- and soon the cachers in my area will be confounded just like those who hunt umc's cache in Michigan. Likewise, I've suggested ideas to folks in California, and so on. It is a lot easier to brainstorm in real time.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

People have been known to make or use fake rocks or stumps. Stone hide-a-keys seem to be popular for micros, as well as those magnetic hide-a-keys. IMHO, a clever hide is just about anywhere BUT under rocks/sticks/in a hollow stump/log. Those are the obvious spots.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Funny you should ask that.....I posted a simple question just the other day asking people who wanted to swap ideas with me to e-mail me. I've gotten several "friends" from around the country who are now sharing ideas with me. Of course I'm sharing ideas also. I would suggest getting some digital pics of some clever hides all lined up (something I didn't do and now am getting done). Try looking at my March 25th "Suggestions?" link... Good luck.

Earth First!!! We'll cache the other planets later!!

quote:
Originally posted by Digitizer:

Ok - I'm new so I don't get what you're talking about. Don't you just put the cache under a convenient rock and that's it? Give me an example of a clever hiding idea. icon_confused.gif

One would hope you might look for places a nice weather proof ammo can might fit too.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

For example, WarmFuzzies - Fuzzy from Indiana was instrumental in supplying the "trick" for the key step in one of my Pittsburgh multicaches. He probably doesn't even remember it.

Lest Pittsburgh-area cachers feel the urge to ask: no, I don't remember it.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

Another idea is to visit IRC Channel #geocache (a/k/a ClayJar's chatroom) and ask questions or float ideas to the masses assembled there. I've worked on many cache ideas in there.

<--snip-->

It is a lot easier to brainstorm in real time.

Very true Lep! I've seen some really great ideas come together or get tweaked in real time chat.

Garrettmaster came in with what I truly think is a novel cache idea (and no, I'm not gonna spoil it by posting it here!). in less then an hour, I think it had gone from an interesting idea to a truly GREAT idea. Can't wait to find a spot here in NJ to copy it! icon_smile.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.