Hey, did anyone notice the new cache type?

LaPaglia

This is FANTASTIC! As one of the pioneers of small animal signature items, I am delighted to see that critter-friendly caches have been officially recognized. Looks like my many e-mails to TPTB have paid off. I do appreciate how the site makes improvements in response to the community's needs, as our game develops in new directions.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

OF COURSE no food in caches... because, as so eloquently stated by Tonsil, the creator of hamstercaching, "that would be wrong." The food constraint is one of the reasons why high-traffic areas are preferred for this cache type.

Next time, instead of getting married, I think I'll just find a woman I don't like and buy her a house.

quote:
Originally posted by Cupajo:

Excellent! Now I can hide my _Richard Gere_ cache!

But GCGERE is already taken. By me. Bwahahahaha! (Check out the 'alt' tag on the 'no dogs' icon...)

[Edit: Well, there WAS an alt tag on that icon. Now all of the alt tags on all of the images on all of my caches are missing. They still show up when I edit the cache, though. Jeremy?]

pirate.cgi.gif

Are the ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVISTS ever going to jump on this one. We've gone from MC D Toys to animals in a cage.

I better see if my rabies shot is up to date before I go looking for one of these.

If the animal dies while in the cache I suppose the cache owner will be subject to animal cruelty charges.

This is not a good thing for Geocaching.

After I read the other forums I know what is happening now! Sounds similar to a forum about

food for a Cache event. Its time to have a sharp knive in these caches along with some salt and tabasco sauce. Eat on the run.

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

[This message was edited by Tahosa and Sons on October 10, 2003 at 12:32 PM.]

My plecko is getting way to big for his fish tank so I'm thinking of placing one in a lake somewhere. It's going to be rated a 5 because you'll need a fishing pole to get him. I like this new idea for caching. I never knew what to do with this fish, short of a bigger fish tank. This gives me more options, thanks TBTP!

Planet

Doc-Dean: I suppose you could just select "large" as your cache size, and explain in the cache description that it is not really a "small" animal. As with all caches, so long as the cache page tells the finder what sort of conditions to expect, that's fine by me. For your cache I'd know to show up with four-wheel drive and a bathtub. I hope you wouldn't expect me to trade up?

Planet -- haven't you read the guidelines? "A lake is a lake, but a lake is not a cache."

Did someone forget to think about this one? What happens when the snow starts falling, and it gets covered in a couple of feet of snow. (No air) Or when the temp drops below zero. Or a flood. Not every one will put one in a flood plain, but there is always one idiot that dosn't know what he's doing.

I think this is a bad idea and cruel to the animal.

Also, think about the person who thinks it would be cool to put a snake in one and dosn't realize it't poisonous?

I bought a GPSr so the ladies would stop telling me to get lost. It didn't work icon_frown.gif.

Here in Pittsburgh, we are as careful with the placement of our hamstercaches as, for example, the good folks in Austin are with their moving caches. There is a certain amount of responsibility and common sense involved, just as with any cache placement.

As for bad weather, this just adds to the thrill of the hunt. Sometimes you make it there in time, sometimes you don't. It is sort of like dashing out to get a GeoCoin that someone left for you in a cache before somebody else swipes it.

Tahosa and WVDan -- please forgive me for being an ugly creature who lives under a bridge.

I like monkeys.

The pet store was selling them for 5¢ each. I thought that was odd since they were normally a couple thousand dollars each. I decided not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I bought 200.

I like monkeys.

I took my 200 monkeys home.

I have a big car.

I let one of them drive. His name was Sigmund.

He was retarded. In fact, none of them were really bright. They kept punching themselves in their genitals.

I laughed.

Then they punched my genitals.

I stopped laughing.

I herded them into my apartment.

They didn't adapt very well to their new environment.

They would screech, hurl themselves off of the couch at high speeds and slam into the wall.

Although humorous at first, the spectacle lost its novelty halfway into its third hour.

Two hours later I found out why all the monkeys were so inexpensive: they all died.

No apparent reason.

They all just sort of dropped dead.

Kind odd like when you buy a goldfish and it dies five hours later.

dadgum cheap monkeys.

I didn't know what to do. There were 200 dead monkeys lying all over my apartment. On the bed, in the dresser, hanging from my bookcase.

It looked like I had 200 throw rugs.

I tried to flush one down the toilet.

It didn't work. It got stuck.

Then I had one dead, wet monkey and 199 dead, dry monkeys.

I tried pretending that they were just stuffed animals.

That worked for a while.

That is until they began to decompose.

Then it started to smell real bad.

I had to pee but there was a dead monkey in the toilet and I didn't want to call the plumber.

I was embarrassed.

I tried to slow down the decomposition by freezing them.

Unfortunately, there was only enough room for two monkeys at a time, so I had to change them every 30 seconds.

I also had to eat all the food in the freezer so it didn't all go bad.

I tried burning them.

Little did I know my bed was flammable.

I had to extinguish the fire.

Then I had one dead, wet monkey in my toilet, two dead, frozen monkeys in my freezer, and 197 dead, charred monkeys in a pile on my bed.

The odor wasn't improving.

I became agitated at my inability to dispose of my monkeys or use the bathroom.

I severely beat one of my monkeys.

I felt better.

I tried throwing them way but the garbage man said that the city wasn't allowed to dispose of charred primates.

I told him that I had a wet one.

He couldn't take that one either.

I didn't bother asking about the frozen ones.

I finally arrived at a solution.

I gave them out as Christmas gifts.

My friends didn't know quite what to say.

They pretended that they like them but I could tell they were lying.

Ingrates.

So I punched them in the genitals.

I like monkeys.

I guess I'll have to put them in a cache.

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by WVDan:

Not every one will put one in a flood plain, but there is always one idiot that dosn't know what he's doing.

I've seen beer can "coozies" that look like little life preservers. I'm sure a small modification (read: "duct tape") will allow them to be used on small rodents.

stunod_sig.gif

mystats.php?userid=Stunod&vopt=user&txtdata=Eamus%20Catuli!&bgcol=ffffcc&fgcol=000000&imbadge=y&badgetyp=chitown.jpg

It's interesting how many people didn't get that this is a joke, all it takes is a quick look at the url.

RX

Any deity worthy of a graven image can cobble up a working universe complete with fake fossils in under a week - hey, if you're not omnipotent, there's no real point in being a god. But to start with a big ball of elementary particles and end up with the duckbill platypus without constant twiddling requires a degree of subtlety and the ability to Think Things Through: exactly the qualities I'm looking for when I'm shopping for a Supreme Being.

Let's see...

There was that guy that airshipped himself in a crate. So was he a locationless animal cache?

===========================================================

"The time has come" the Walrus said "to speak of many things; of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings".

quote:
Originally posted by RingXero:

It's interesting how many people didn't get that this is a joke, all it takes is a quick look at the url.

RX

I didn't notice the URL, but I knew it had to be a joke since almost any small animal IS food, prohibited by the rules.

I thought Jeremy just had all his other updates done and was taking some time out to play a joke...

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

quote:
Originally posted by Chikn' Huntn':

this is just pure and simply animal cruelty.

It's also pure and simply a joke.

Sorry, but no joking is allowed in these forums. My former signature image is proof of that. You can only complain.

I demand the large animal cache type too! icon_biggrin.gif

mtn-man... admin brick mason 19490_2600.gif

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors

This is NOT good people, and you know it!

What's going to happen to me? I want to put THESE animals in my caches. I'll quote from the page:

quote:
Neopets® is the greatest Virtual Pet Site on the Internet.

Is the administration going to let me place virtual pets? Nooooooo.

My virtual pets MUST be validated!!!!

Bret (who really oughta be working)

39219_2500.gif "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I found one of these... I took the small furry creature and read the instructions:

1. Do NOT let it come in contact with water.

2. Do NOT feed it after midnight.

Funny, last night I heard the shower running, and I found the refrigerator door open this morning... and I can't seem to find my new cache critter!

Ancient proverb: One is never lost. Wherever you are, you are there. -- And with a GPSr, you are within 3 meters of wherever there is!

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

If I'm out hunting one of these new caches and don't bring my own trade animal, is it kosher to pick up any old kritter I happen find along the way and stuff it in as a trade? Or is that too similar to dirty golfball trading in traditional caches icon_confused.gif

From the soon to be release small animal cache guidlelines: "The small animal is to be considered a FTF prize and is NOT to be replaced with another animal"

I hope that clears things up.

I work for the QOFE that works for the Frog

tongue.gif The Frog is my friend big_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Rich & Perrie:

1. Do NOT let it come in contact with water.

2. Do NOT feed it after midnight.

LOL -- great reminder. Sadly enough, those two "rules" are probably lost on the current generation! Don't believe me? Ask any kid if he knows what a "gremlin" is and see...

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

quote:
Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

quote:
"The small animal is to be considered a FTF prize and is NOT to be replaced with another animal"

So _trading up_ is out of the question?

http://www.keenpeople.com/stats/

http://www.indianageocaching.com/ingeo-button2.gif http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ws/emoticons/signal/bad_boy_a.gif http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/puke.gif

===============_"If it feels good...do it"_================

**_(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")_**

Yes I am sorry but trading UP is not an option

I work for the QOFE that works for the Frog

tongue.gif The Frog is my friend big_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

If I'm out hunting one of these new caches and don't bring my own trade animal, is it kosher to pick up any old kritter I happen find along the way and stuff it in as a trade? Or is that too similar to dirty golfball trading in traditional caches icon_confused.gif

We think it should be O.K. to trade as long as you don't get the animal from Here! icon_eek.gif

Just us old farts...

It's hard to remember that your primary objective is to drain the swamp, when you're up to your a$$ in alligators.