A heartfelt message...

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

Markwell, like the Heinz Ketchup commercial, the anticipation is killing me!

My fellow Geocachers. It has been one year since I started with this obsession of Geocaching.

Comments from the home front have been a wide range:

"When are you coming off that darn computer?!?"

"Honey - do you want to go Geocaching this weekend?"

"Which Geocacher are we hitting this weekend?"

"E.E.S.!" (My two year old shouting his enthusiasm for when I grab the GPS and a fresh set of batteries.)

"Daddy will you please finish checking your e-mail and the messages so I can play Buzz Lightyear on the computer?" (that would be the 6yo)

I've found 54 caches on 64 hunts, including two cache frenzies - one in August and one in Feburary, but not including three revisited caches, two for placing Travel Bugs and one just for the fun of it. Two of these 54 caches were ones that I had actually planted (how's that for cryptic). I've made 1,322 posts on the old forums and about 20 on the new ones. Some have been profound - others have been quite lame. I've made countless friends, both near and far through both caching and dashing. I've learned a little HTML and UBB, my typing skills have improved (even if my spelling has not icon_wink.gif)

I've placed 7 real-life caches in two states, activated 5 Photographer's Caches (and adopted five others), am currently acting as nanny to one cache, and have released 7 travelers, 6 with bug tags and one pre-bug hitchhiker. I have co-hosted one gathering of Geocachers, and am planning a second annual event.

I have frittered away countless hours in front of the computer screen, but have learned a great deal about mathematics, coordinate systems, hexidecimal code, great circle calculations and the forumlas used to calculate distance and bearing (and how that compares with using a pythagorean calculation).

I have personally battled with county forest preserves (and lost) and been to some of the best physical places in the entire Chicago area and down in the Cumberland Trail area of Chattanooga.

I have lost about 15-20 pounds and found a hobby that I can thoroughly enjoy as a family.

Never before have I encountered such a large body of honest and intelligent people as the Geocaching family. For the most part, we are a tolerant group consisting of a common interest and obsession. We want to spend all of our time out finding these little boxes, but end up spending just as much time talking online when we can't get out.

Why and I writing this? Nothing more than to say thank you...

...to Jeremy, for working as hard and tirelessly as he does in maintaining a fluid and accurate database and keeping a website running that should have maxxed out its servers long ago

...to all the local cachers for placing excellent caches

...to all the ingenious people who have placed innovative caches that have inspired my own creations

...to those who have hunted my caches (especially the 8 that have found Pi) and been so complimentary of my hard work

...to my fellow posters, for their humor, intelligence, wit and keen observations

space.gif I started making a list of names, but I know I would have left someone out, so I'll just say "all of you.")

You are my friends, my second on-line family, my source for conversation. I consider that this year has truly been a blessed one. I thank you all for making it truly memorable. I look forward to many more years of box and coordinate finding and hiding. God Bless each and every one of you!

Use coordinates

space.gif Find box in the wilderness

space.gifspace.gif Go find another

"Geocache Haiku"

-Markwell 1/11/2002

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

WOW!

I really enjoyed reading your commentary. Your enthusiasm for GEOcaching definatly shows.

As I have only been caching approx. 2 months, I haven't had a bad experience so far, and the people that I have met to date have been friendly and very helpful. I look forward to having as many wonderful memories in the future.

Happy caching to all. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Markwell,

You have expressed my sentiments exactly. I am sure they are also reflective of many other cachers.

And while we are on the subject, You have also enriched my Geocaching experience in the eight months I have been 'On board' and I am looking forward to continuing a long and interesting 'Caching' relationship in the future.

geosign.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Never before have I encountered such a large body of honest and intelligent people as the Geocaching family. For the most part, we are a tolerant group consisting of a common interest and obsession. We want to spend all of our time out finding these little boxes, but end up spending just as much time talking online when we can't get out.

I agree avidly. You have hit the nail on the head. When I first began geocaching it was an interesting and fun sport. Then I began reading and contributing to the forums. The entire venture/process/hobby/sport has "matured" for me, if you will. I appreciate it when folks of like mind come together for a mutual purpose or to discuss a mutual interest.

Jeremy, I love you, man! Don't ever change! (*fingers up, making "hang loose, peace" sign*)

And Markwell... keep up the great spelling acheivements (posts)!

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

Well said Markwell... and thanks to you as well for all of your input to the forums and your efforts as our unofficial forum historian.

It was about nine months ago when I made my very first "newbie" post to the forums and you were among the first of those who responded with welcoming words and advice.

Happy anniversary and here's to another great year!

Regards,

Tedoca

quote:

You are my friends, my second on-line family, my source for conversation. I consider that this year has truly been a blessed one. I thank you all for making it truly memorable. I look forward to many more years of box and coordinate finding and hiding. God Bless each and every one of you!

Here, here... {raising glass}

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

quote:

__Why and I writing this?__ Nothing more than to say thank you...**********snip*********

God Bless each and every one of you!

-Markwell 1/11/2002_

Markwell

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

Markwell,

I,too share your enthusiasm and appreciation. I'ts funny how a really 'stupid pastime' can become so much more. I am newer to this than you and I don't think my schedule will permit me to persue this game to the degree that I would like, but I hope to share in this for a long time to come.

I share with you in thanking Jeremy, all the posters, all the cachers that make it possible!

Bluespreacher

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Morrison WaylandersMA:

How can we get so emotional about hiding tupperware in the woods? My therapist doesn't understand.

Hmmm, can I copy and paste him?

http://mbcf.dfci.harvard.edu/images/1.jpg

Markwell, thanks for saying how I think everyone feels about this sport. You have taught many of us with your post here in the forum.

Paul, What if you take your therapist on a cache hunt, then he/she will see the light!! icon_biggrin.gif

For a minute there, I thought while I was asleep, someone had made a movie about the Groundspeak forums, and I had awakened at the The Oscars to hear Markwell accept the Award for Best Supporting Actor in a GeoCaching Adventure.. hehehehe ... icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding Markwell...

[APPLAUSE] VERY WELL SAID... [/APPLAUSE]

Buck8Point

-------------------------

If I can't Fix it, It's Definately Broke.