Food To Cache By

I was hiking through the mud this weekend and found myself munching on some supremely satisfying oreos. I must say... there are few things better to hike with than a big bag of doublestuffs. Anyway... what does everyone pack for those ever recurring I-Just-Hiked-Four-Miles-For-This-$^#**@-Cache-And-I-Didn't-Eat-Lunch munchies?

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." -George Burns

The deli near my house sells some pretty good sandwiches. On a long day hike, whether geocaching, or not, I bring along one of the following:

Sloppy Jim: Turkey, Corned Beef w/ swiss, slaw and Russian dressing on rye.

Full Monty: Grilled roast beef, with melted mozarella & diced hot cherry peppers with horseradish sauce on a sub roll

Kinnelon Killer: Hot roast beef with melted cheddar, fried onions and Russian dressing, on toasted rye.

Big George: Grilled chicken and pork roll (Taylor ham to those of us in NJ), melted provolone, fried onions, roasted peppers and honey mustard on a sub roll.

Yo Vinnie:

Prosciutto, pepperoni, salami, hot ham (cappacola to those of us in NJ), mozzarella, lettuce, tomato and balsamic vinegar on a sub roll.

My wife's fav is the...

My Blue Heaven: Arugula, roasted peppers, fresh mozzarella, sun dried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar on a sub roll.

If we're backpacking and have to worry about keeping food fresh, lunch usually consists of a dried sausage such a chorizo, salami, pepperoni or summer sausage, served on a Triscut, with sliced cheddar.

I often wonder why I hike 30+ miles a week and still gain weight.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on April 29, 2003 at 07:38 AM.]

The last time I did an afternoon of caching I snacked on sunflower seeds and bottled water. Seemed like a good idea to keep it light at the time . . . but now I wouldn't mind one of those sammiches!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

There's a Mexican restaurant about 40 miles and an hour and a half drive away that we always stop at whenever we cache in that area. And we must have cold cokes during the drive. Otherwise, we consider looking for new and good restaurants to be an important, personal "locationless" cache.

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

Whenever this comes up, BrianSnat always seems to have the most mouth-watering posts and it drives me nuts. Luckily, I get to have a Fat Pauly for lunch today. icon_razz.gif <--licking chops

quote:
I often wonder why I hike 30+ miles a week and still gain weight.

Maybe if you ate some eggplant?

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

coffee on the way if it's early, then water, fruit, jerky, and perhaps sunflower seeds.

if benny's with me, there's always a stop at an all-day-pancake-breakfast after. i've never known anyone who loves breakfast so much.

peace

"i am but mad north-nothwest...when the wind is southerly, i know a hawk from a handsaw."

Combos are always fun on the trail but a lot of liquid is needed to wash them down with. Beer is a must for post caching activities. icon_biggrin.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

Caching without a clue....

Webling:

quote:
Busy caching...no time to eat...

No wonder you are so thin in your picture.

On the other hand, Brian's list makes me homesick. icon_razz.gif You can take the boy out of Jersey, but you can't take the Jersey out of the boy (no matter how hard my wife tries to icon_biggrin.gif ) I ususally just have water and some cookies or Nutrigrain Bars to keep me going on the trail. Most of the caches I've done so far don't keep me out on the trail for more than an hour or two.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Whoa ! I got heartburn just reading Brians list. If I'm ever in Jersy caching, I'll be able to smell him long before I see him.

Usually, I'm so excited to be going caching I don't eat before leaving. Eat a piece of fruit on the way, an energy bar while hiking, gatorade and water. After a cache or two, grab a subway ( chicken filet sandwich with honey mustard, provolone, green peppers, onions, lettuce and tomato. Then its off to another.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.