Sig. items - marbles?

I saw, just this week, a link on these boards to a sig. item. They were flat decorator marbles with an image painted in reverse on the back. I've been working on my own, and want to refer back to the link to be sure mine aren't too similar to the originator's design. I've looked at many pages of sig. items and can't seem to find the link. Anybody know what I'm talking about and where to find them?

Thanks,

TeamWoerner

Now I see why I'm getting inundated with "how do you do that" emails! I'm glad everyone likes the idea, and have gotten good responses from a few caches who have found them in caches.

[paste from emails]

The flat marbles themselves are the type sold at craft stores, I use the largest size, 1.25" - 1.5". Then I print out the pictures on photo paper, cut the pic to the shape of the marbles, and glue on with clear epoxy. You have to use a little extra glue so it is sure to fill all the voids on the back side of the marble. Then I just coat all exposed paper in more epoxy, and stick a magnet on the back. it's that simple, and they even came out better than I had expected. There are web sites with similar instructions, do a web search for "flat marbles" or "glass wafers" and you should find similar instructions.

Warning: Objects in GPS may be closer than they appear!

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

Now I see why I'm getting inundated with "how do you do that" emails! I'm glad everyone likes the idea, and have gotten good responses from a few caches who have found them in caches.

[paste from emails]

The flat marbles themselves are the type sold at craft stores, I use the largest size, 1.25" - 1.5". Then I print out the pictures on photo paper, cut the pic to the shape of the marbles, and glue on with clear epoxy. You have to use a little extra glue so it is sure to fill all the voids on the back side of the marble. Then I just coat all exposed paper in more epoxy, and stick a magnet on the back. it's that simple, and they even came out better than I had expected. There are web sites with similar instructions, do a web search for "flat marbles" or "glass wafers" and you should find similar instructions.

_Warning: Objects in GPS may be closer than they appear!_

Great idea - they look nice.

I got some of brdad's marbles on my trip to Maine this week and they are gorgeous. brdad takes the pictures himself, and also has a CD of his Maine Sights that he puts into caches. The pictures on his marbles come from this CD. It's a great signature item. And I want to say something here about how it's a SIGNATURE item and if we all did it it wouldn't be unique, but I have also worked with these marbles, a smaller version, in a different manner, so my method wouldn't be the same as his. It wouldn't even use pictures. If you want one of these marbles you'll have to go to Maine and search for brdad's caches, like I did, Just let him know you're coming, he'll stock it for you. And don't bother asking him for hints, his idea of a hint is "You're GPS isn't totally wrong" icon_wink.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

My wife does something very similar. She sells rubber stamps that are used in scrapbooking and craft making, and has used this technique at her demonstrator parties. She uses the image from the stamps in place of pictures. We have a couple on our refrigerator at home.

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Well went to the local Michaels and they didn't have any(flat marbles)... icon_frown.gif

They had the real small ones...Will have to try somewhere else I guess...

Brian

_As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump_

Those flat marbles are a ***** to roll. Just put a normal one on a train track and you will be set. icon_razz.gif

Easy enough to find on the 'net

One site

Another site.

There are plenty of others

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898