Stats Shorthand

Guest Peter Scholtz

Guest ClayJar

Against my better judgement (helping keep this thing alive, no offense anyone), but it's:

Hidden/Found/Countries/States

Obviously by an Americentric person. tongue.gif

Guest Ron Streeter

Ok, I'll take the credit (and/or the heat) for adding the C and S to the stats idea orginally started by Anton.

Why not? Might has well add how many countries and states you've collected in. Of course those living in the United States close to Canada or Mexico have an added "advantage" in that regard, and the same can be said for those who live in the northeast where states are smaller and closer to each other than they are in the plains or west (as an example).

There is also a cacher (forget who right now) who is apparently manually tracking the cachers who have FOUND the most caches, with a half dozen or so in the 80 to 100 plus range and the bottom end of his list showing the cachers who have found 40 or so. An incomplete list I would guess.

So, keep on caching, logging and of course PLACING caches.

Ron

24H/26F/1C/4S

Guest jeremy

I'd add something for when you meet folks on the trail. What would be good shorthand for that? X for crossed paths?

Jeremy

PS. Always liked looted or plundered. It's weird to hear about someone finding a cache scattered around but the stuff is still there. It's like there are human raccoons out there.

Guest Ron Streeter

In response to Jeremy's suggestion that X be used for the number of times people have met on the trail (crossed paths), put me down for:

24H/26F/1C/4S/3X

Guest jeremy

Mine's pretty pathetic. But I saw people on half my searches.

3H/20F/1C/2S/10X

If we agree to this, I'll see if I can add it to people's stat pages. I'll probably have to make it voluntary though so people can opt out of being listed.

Jeremy

Guest rediguana

Okay, I'll stir icon_smile.gif

3H/14F/2C/0S/0X

Note no states hehe. Not quite sure how to count that. I've found a cache in one Australian state. We don't have states here in NZ, 2 main islands perhaps, 12 regions... gets kinda hard to calculate and keep it consistent. How about dropping states/regions whatever, and having furtherest cache found/placed from home.

For me this becomes

3H/14F/2C/2149D/0X

D for distance in kilometres ;) This way it doesn't matter what sort of country you live in, it comes down to a simple physical number. What is the maximum distance you have travelled to place/find a cache? Much simpler than dealing with internal boundaries.

Of course, we are well outnumbered by the Northern Hemisphere here icon_smile.gif so it's just a thought.

Cheers Gav

PS What we actually need is modified Geek Code for geocaching hehe ... any takers to write it?

Guest rediguana

R> X+ A few

X None yet

6.1 Demographics!! What else

DGF Female

DGM Male

DAx Age is x

DA? Age is none of your business hehe

So for me as an example...

H+ F++ N2 C+ R+ D+++ D2149k TL GG12XL MC MT IM IH IT+ IW+ X+ DGM DA28 ... or ...

H3 F14 N2 C2 R3 D+++ D1336m TL GG12XL MC MT IM IH IT+ IW+ X+ DGM DA?

Looks like gibberish to me now but it was a fun sideline for an hour or so icon_smile.gif That should keep you stat freaks happy for a wee while hehe icon_smile.gif

Cheers Gav

[This message has been edited by rediguana (edited 03 July 2001).]

Guest Anton

Guys, guys!

In order to be considered shorthand, it needs to be short. Adding two or three more categories requires too much thought and adds complexity with diminishing returns. Therefore, it's no longer shorthand. If you want a fancy label after your name, get a ham radio license. ;-)

KISS - Keep It Simple, uh...Sam?

Anton, 10H/9F

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

Guys, guys!

In order to be considered shorthand, it needs to be short. Adding two or three more categories requires too much thought and adds complexity with diminishing returns. Therefore, it's no longer shorthand. If you want a fancy label after your name, get a ham radio license. ;-)

KISS - Keep It Simple, uh...Sam?

What? I think 10 categories are better, with room for more. Embrace and extend! Innovate innovate innovate! I was just trying to highlight the natural evolution that this thread is going to take. The beauty of my 'stolen' method is that you can choose how much or how little you want to display. But there is an open standard, which is also not copyrighted so that should keep the Linux zealots happy at least!

Hehe all for a bit of fun! icon_biggrin.gif

Cheeers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Anton:

If you want a fancy label after your name, get a ham radio license. ;-)

Nah, I went for university qualifications. Less letters, none of those confusing numbers, and you can fit more of them after your name. icon_biggrin.gif Your letters are probably more useful though hehe

Cheers Gav

Guest Anton

Gav,

Sure, I've got plenty of university letters, too, but so does everyone else. Fewer folks have a ham radio call sign!

Afterall, with a ham license, you can claim to be in the company of quite a few celebrities, many of the engineers & computer scientists who developed the Internet, and nearly all the astronauts on the NASA Space Shuttle and the Int'l Space Station, including the Russians.

Anyone with a real interest in GPS "receivers" would do well to get an amateur radio license to better understand how these little radios work.

Having a ham radio in the car is a great way to get driving directions when you're on a hunt in unfamiliar territory. It's worked for me! It's also a good way to make new GC friends, and to bring new players into the sport. I've been talking it up on the local 2-meter FM ham repeater stations for the past several months. Hams love radios, so I know they'll want to hear all about geocaching! If you want to meet some geocaching hams, check out the related thread here in the general topics forum.

Famous Hams websites:

http://www.aesham.com/fun3.html

http://www.nerc.com/~gjurrens/famous_hams.html

Anton, 10H/9F

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest rediguana

martinp13, doesn't worry me, it was all in aid of some fun and a laugh! And I was trying to highlight the shortcomings of some of the shorthand methods that have already been chosen. icon_biggrin.gif

Cache on! Gavin

Guest kimbeattie

I like the (H)idden and (F)ound idea, but think the ©ountries and (S)tates to be overkill. (X) Other Geocachers encountered is interesting. (At first I read Countries as Counties! Talk about silly!) Anyway, each category is optional, so each to his own!

Kimbo

5H/13F

Guest bigkid

2H/5F/33,34,5,3,.8/98115

Just thought I'd add the ages for our family Geocaching crew and zip, more worthless stats, although zip is kindof fun because you'd have to translate to figure out where it really is.

Way geeked out, my wife is wondering why I spend some much time on this! ;-)